TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Birthdays! Use this forum to talk about yours or your friends' birthdays, or to wish other TeenHelp users a happy birthday.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Drenn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matthew

Points: 8,630, Level: 13 Points: 8,630, Level: 13 Points: 8,630, Level: 13

Not a great birthday... - May 29th 2012, 08:42 PM

I skipped my first period dissection in bio, which oddly isn't because I have problems with actually dissecting a rat, but I'm just so horrible at taking SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS. I never do things quite right. And I get the typical feeling that people are waiting for me to make a mistake, which can't be true. But even though I skipped I felt too bad to do anything. I skipped for no good reason, I'm still not really sure why I did it, just general anxiety I suppose...

I doubt I'll be getting nice presents, since I didn't ask for anything in particular. I have tons of video games, too many, I shouldn't want them for the sake of newness... I don't know what I want. And I've still got summatives to do for school. Yeah... this isn't my favorite birthday so far. It seems to me birthdays aren't so important as they used to be.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23 Points: 25,840, Level: 23

Re: Not a great birthday... - June 1st 2012, 05:51 PM

Hey Matthew

Firstly, belated Happy Birthday!!

We all can't be good at every single thing. Some people are good at dissection, others are good at sports or singing or dancing. We all have our areas of perfection. It is perfectly okay to not be good at something. It is a very normal thing.

Thinking too much about the issue will only increase your anxiety. Instead of thinking about messing up the instructions, just think about giving it your best shot. The idea is to think about it differently. In such situations I try to think about what I'd think about someone who messes up. And when I realize that it won't even matter, it calms me down.

Now about your birthday, you can try doing things differently. Give a new meaning to this day. Usually on my birthdays, the first thing I do is visit the Temple and thank God for everything that I have. For my 18th birthday I have plans to donate blood. You can spend your day at orphanage and do something for the kids over there or give them some of your old videos that you don't need anymore. The idea is to look beyond material things.

I hope that this helps.
If you need to talk about anything, feel free to VM/PM me.
Take care

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: Not a great birthday... - June 1st 2012, 06:10 PM

Hey Matthew,

We're birthday twins! I turned 17 on the 29th too

To be honest my birthday was pretty much like any other day. I went to school, dealt with annoying people, came home, and did absolutely nothing. I'm waiting till tomorrow to actually celebrate, mostly because we didn't actually have any money to do anything.. I haven't gotten any gifts yet besides a gift card and a pair of flip flops.

I guess the point is that you're not alone. When I was younger birthdays seemed to be the highlight of the year. But now they kind of just seem redundant and boring. But I think that it's definitely what you make it. Nothing has changed, just our attitudes. I've never really done anything too special on my birthday. Usually I go out to dinner with my family and just spend time with the people I love. To me, that's enough, and that's what I want to do. So why not find something you like to do with others or just for yourself, and focus on that this weekend? Spend time with people you care about, or do something special for yourself. It's not too late to celebrate, that's what I'm doing. Don't take the little things for granted, there's tons of things to do to have fun.

If nothing else, try looking forward to the next year. To me birthdays are kind of like your own new year. I always look back and realize how different I am than I was a year ago, and I look forward to feeling the same way my next birthday. In reality it's not really the birthday that counts, but the way you spend the year until your next one. That probably sounds silly, but it's true. In a year from now you won't be remembering what your last birthday was like, you'll be remembering how you spent the time between them.

Take some time to celebrate this weekend, you're only seventeen once! It's not too late to have a good time

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Drenn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matthew

Points: 8,630, Level: 13 Points: 8,630, Level: 13 Points: 8,630, Level: 13

Re: Not a great birthday... - June 3rd 2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Giggle View Post
Hey Matthew

Firstly, belated Happy Birthday!!

We all can't be good at every single thing. Some people are good at dissection, others are good at sports or singing or dancing. We all have our areas of perfection. It is perfectly okay to not be good at something. It is a very normal thing.

Thinking too much about the issue will only increase your anxiety. Instead of thinking about messing up the instructions, just think about giving it your best shot. The idea is to think about it differently. In such situations I try to think about what I'd think about someone who messes up. And when I realize that it won't even matter, it calms me down.
I definitely overreacted to the situation, I just had my mind set on not going to class that day. I know, these little things don't matter so much in the scheme of things, and I wouldn't blame someone else for making a mistake. I probably would have done ok if I'd done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Giggle View Post
Now about your birthday, you can try doing things differently. Give a new meaning to this day. Usually on my birthdays, the first thing I do is visit the Temple and thank God for everything that I have. For my 18th birthday I have plans to donate blood. You can spend your day at orphanage and do something for the kids over there or give them some of your old videos that you don't need anymore. The idea is to look beyond material things.

I hope that this helps.
If you need to talk about anything, feel free to VM/PM me.
Take care
Well, as for looking beyond material things, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Birthdays to me have always been about getting new gadgets or video games. This year I asked for nothing in particular. Shiny new stuff is getting to be a distraction from, well, everything else. The problem is finding other stuff to replace it. My everyday life skills are lacking; learning to cook, do laundry, etc. could be good things to do instead, for part of my spare time anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPoet View Post
Hey Matthew,

We're birthday twins! I turned 17 on the 29th too

To be honest my birthday was pretty much like any other day. I went to school, dealt with annoying people, came home, and did absolutely nothing. I'm waiting till tomorrow to actually celebrate, mostly because we didn't actually have any money to do anything.. I haven't gotten any gifts yet besides a gift card and a pair of flip flops.

I guess the point is that you're not alone. When I was younger birthdays seemed to be the highlight of the year. But now they kind of just seem redundant and boring. But I think that it's definitely what you make it. Nothing has changed, just our attitudes. I've never really done anything too special on my birthday. Usually I go out to dinner with my family and just spend time with the people I love. To me, that's enough, and that's what I want to do. So why not find something you like to do with others or just for yourself, and focus on that this weekend? Spend time with people you care about, or do something special for yourself. It's not too late to celebrate, that's what I'm doing. Don't take the little things for granted, there's tons of things to do to have fun.

If nothing else, try looking forward to the next year. To me birthdays are kind of like your own new year. I always look back and realize how different I am than I was a year ago, and I look forward to feeling the same way my next birthday. In reality it's not really the birthday that counts, but the way you spend the year until your next one. That probably sounds silly, but it's true. In a year from now you won't be remembering what your last birthday was like, you'll be remembering how you spent the time between them.

Take some time to celebrate this weekend, you're only seventeen once! It's not too late to have a good time
Happy belated birthday to you!

Thanks for the input. I'd like to be able to say that I've grown as a person between now and next year. I'm not sure I can say this much since turning 16 last year, which might be partly why I didn't enjoy my birthday so much. My proper party will be at a later time, still to be determined. Though it is feeling redundant, so I hope my family is only thinking of a small thing.
Closed Thread