TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

I'll never be the same again - March 22nd 2017, 04:48 AM

Not sure if this belongs in the Disabilities forum but since I'm mostly ranting I thought it was best suited here, if I'm wrong, feel free to move it!

As some of you may know according to another post I made, I was in a car accident back in November. I suffered two fractured bones in my left wrist which was easily the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, especially when they had to inject the lidocaine and reset the wrist. Thankfully, the bones itself healed excellently, but I'm left with nerve damage and areas where my nerves and muscles and tendons basically bound together after not moving anything for 2 months. After working with my occupational therapist for 2 months, I have made a lot of progress as far as mobility and range of motion but I'm left still struggling with strength and some aspects of my range of motion. My OT also brought to my attention that the discomfort and lack of strength that is left is more than likely going to be a permanent thing and it makes me very upset to say the least.
What makes me astronomically upset is the man who caused the accident. He has no license, no insurance, had no business driving in the first place honestly, the truck had damage but no where near the damage my car endured (my car was without a doubt totaled) and he walked away without a scratch. 2 weeks ago I went to court to testify on behalf of the city as well as closure sort of and I faced him for the first time (at the accident I never saw him because there were a lot of people and he ran into the closest store to call 911) and he was nothing but rude and his body language suggested that he was bothered that I was there. Unfortunately, he was given a plea deal, but I was happy with the fact that the judge took into consideration the words I said and what his actions led to. The judge ended up gave him the max sentencing possible for such a situation. On top of that, I have a pending civil suit against him so that restitution will kick his ass and even more so if it does turn out that I will have lifelong damage. All in all, everything could be much much worse but I'm still very upset that my left arm will never be the same. I'm not really sure if the reality of it has set in, but I'm trying to look for the positive here.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: I'll never be the same again - March 23rd 2017, 06:47 AM

Hi Fallon,

I see how you think that this could potentially go into Disabilities. However, I agree that it's more of a rant, so I will leave it here

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist! It's definitely hard having to deal with a life long injury for something you didn't do. I know it's not really similar but I had a couple really bad injuries when I played soccer. I have a bad hip that will never fully heal, I still go to the chiropractor when it acts up, but I also have two bad knees.

I hope the guy gets in serious trouble for driving without a license etc. I've been in a couple car accidents so I know how stressful they can be. However, as you mentioned, things could have been a lot worse. I'm glad they weren't and I'm glad that you're in once piece.

Stay Strong and feel better!
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: I'll never be the same again - March 23rd 2017, 02:31 PM

I have some injuries from playing basketball so I can totally understand where you're coming from (though those injuries only act up when it's rain or the dew point/humidity goes up, sort of like arthritis?) but the injury in my wrist is a lot more prominent.
As far as the man who caused the accident, he received 90 days in Work Release (with 36 days served already), 6 months of probation and possibly a year in jail but I don't remember the stipulations on the possible jail time. When I spoke to my attorney the first time about a ball park price of what he would have to pay, it would be around $16,000 but it might end up being more if my OT determines there is in fact life-long damage. So he's definitely going to be regretting his actions (I hope).

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

Closed Thread