TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

No purpose. - October 9th 2019, 09:53 AM

Yes, it's me again.

After resigning from my casual/second/weekend job, I feel a little disheartened. I feel like I'm not good at anything and I don't have anything going for me at the moment. I wish I had something like a sport or a hobby such as playing a musical instrument that I can work on, look forward to doing and can possibly start a side business or be proud of to talk to people about. To be passionate about.

I have a side photography business but because of my full-time position, it's been sitting on the back burner and I've recently starting advertising again.

I love going to MMA classes but again, because of my full-time work, I've been going inconsistently and I don't have a routine of when I go these past couple of weeks. However, I will be able to become more consistent in a couple of weeks.

Work and money has become my main focus and trying to get a second job where I am able to fit photography and MMA classes in. I'm just all over the place with everything that's going on at the moment. I just need a purpose in my life again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Echo 7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No purpose. - October 9th 2019, 11:33 AM

How about learning to play acoustic guitar? If the desire is there, you'll want to. Having the sound box of my Martin hugging close to my body when I play it is very comforting.

There are tuitions on You Tube if you check it out. Even learning basic chords is fairly easy. You can buy a cheap string tuner to help you, but go to a reputable music shop and ask.

Good acoustic guitars are remarkably good value. Such as: Yamaha FG800; Epiphone DR-100; Fender FA-115, or a Martin, their LXK2 'Little Martin'.

None of those will break your bank. And there is no such thing as 'impossible'.

The strongest steel is forged in fire.

Last edited by Echo 7; October 9th 2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: No purpose. - October 9th 2019, 11:21 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. You are a wonderful person and you're life matters.

It is always good to have some time for yourself and do something for yourself for a little bit. And if it is just listening to some music or joining a book club if you enjoy reading or like what was said up above learning how to play an instrument or joining a gym and you can talk to the people in the classes who are around you and asked if they like to go out and get a cup of coffee with you. Or you we're talking about photography, if you want to you can take some pictures and just get yourself back into this or just start taking pictures of different things that you enjoy taking and see how it goes for a while. Or what kind of sports do you enjoy doing and see if you and a group of friends would like to meet up few times a week and do this sport. You can play basketball or soccer or running or softball or tennis or volleyball or any other sports that you enjoy doing.

Another thing that you can try to do is if you enjoy knitting or crocheting because they have clubs where you can join this too. You just Google to see where they are near you and go down and join in and talk to the people and have fun making whatever they are making a scarf or shirt and have fun with this. I hope that you will be okay soon. Sending you lots of Hugs.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
It’s the rhythm of your life. It’s the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: No purpose. - October 12th 2019, 03:32 AM

Thank you for your replies.

I'll definitely look into music lessons. I have a guitar and keyboard here at home and I used to do piano lessons so that's something I can look into getting back into.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: No purpose. - October 12th 2019, 03:29 PM

You do have a purpose. You spend a lot of time here on the forums giving courage to other people. Helping them with their problems, replying to them when a thread has yet to even receive a single response. You're here for people; and whether you realise it or not, we notice. I know to you, it may not seem like a really big deal, but to someone suffering or in need of someone to talk to, you make a difference. You help them feel better, even if it's only a small amount. It all helps.

Like you I've often felt I wasn't good at anything. I went and took computing courses to please my family. Went to university to study both computing and business. I enjoy business a lot, but it was never a passion of mine.

I did a lot of experimenting in education and during my time studying for my degree, I found something I really enjoy and something I'm good at. Fitness. I absolutely enjoy working out. It's not even like I have the body of a tank. I just like to lift heavy weights because it makes me feel strong and powerful inside.

I understand the struggles with photography, because it is an art. One that cannot be rushed. It's not like a person can always just suddenly switch on their artistic light bulb and decide they want to take amazing, perfect pictures. We need to be in a certain environment with a certain state of mind. If you have things stuck at the back of your mind that are bothering you, it's already difficult. Not to mention that sometimes, freelance doesn't always pay well until you build up a good reputation as is.

I think considering your circumstances, you're doing extraordinarily well. Don't think you're not good at anything, you most certainly are. Experimentation takes time.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Butterfly. Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Average Joe

Name: Jen

Re: No purpose. - October 13th 2019, 11:32 AM

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling right now. As it has been stated in the post above mine, you do serve a purpose! Especially with always trying to bring the website back to life and giving support or advice to others. It may not seem like much, but knowing that there is someone who cares enough to give a reply when nobody else has or trying to create new thread to strike up conversation. You do serve a purpose, especially on here.

What was your secondary job? Do you think you could do something like that again, but work as a volunteer? Perhaps you can look into places in your area that are in need of volunteers. I don't know the reason behind you leaving your secondary job, whether it was too much work and you didn't have time to focus on other things or if you were unhappy at the job; but just because you left doesn't mean you no longer serve any kind of purpose. That job just wasn't the right fit for some reason, and that is ok.

I think everyone else pretty much said it all. If you need to reach out again, don't hesitate to do so.

Best of luck.

HelpLINK MentorArticles Writer

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: No purpose. - October 17th 2019, 05:04 AM

Thank you for all of your replies.

I am slowly getting back into the MMA classes, photography and writing. From next week, I'll have my normal routine again where I will be able to focus on work, studying, MMA classes, photography and writing.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Butterfly. Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Average Joe

Name: Jen

Re: No purpose. - October 17th 2019, 06:47 PM

I hope things continue to improve for you. Feel free to reach out again if you need to.

HelpLINK MentorArticles Writer

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: No purpose. - October 21st 2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly. View Post
I hope things continue to improve for you. Feel free to reach out again if you need to.
Thank you.