TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VivoRisataAmore Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

I'm just sick of it! - May 22nd 2011, 11:12 AM

I'll try to condense this down because it's a long story.

Two years ago I started getting random blood noses, they would just happen. I played it down because my parents were really stressed about a bunch of things and I didn't want to cause more. It happened for the whole of spring, summer and part of autumn, then during winter they stopped, I figured that they had gone and it was just a random thing that wouldn't happen again.
It wasn't true and they came back again the next spring and this time they were worse, I was getting one every second day at least and they were really frustrating me because I would have to drop what ever I was doing to find tissues, which I always carried with me and if I didn't have them I started to get anxious.
Finally Mum took me to a natropath who gave me some tablets, they were $50 for a bottle and then we ended up paying nearly $300 on the whole appointment. My family is not very well off, at that point my Dad had only just gotten a steady job so that we could get a house loan that we couldn't afford so that we could buy a house that was way overpriced. So spending that much was horrible, I felt terrible about it and I still do.
The only thing was that the tablets helped. They stopped the blood noses almost immediately and they got rid of my cold. I was taking them sparingly already since they were so expensive and we were struggling for money. Then I stopped taking them all together because there are only a couple left, I figured I could take one every few months.
Only I got a cold the other week and almost every time I blew my nose it would start bleeding. I could have put up with it if it wasn't for the fact that it could bleed for up to two and a half hours. I wasn't sleeping properly already because I was having trouble breathing so I was getting tired and frustrated.
We went to some other lady because she was cheaper than the natropath but she didn't help at all. She just said that they were my body wanting attention from my family which could be true but it's not going to happen.
I've lost the cold but the nose bleeds are sticking with a vengance. Last night I woke up at four in the morning, after just two hours sleep to find that my nose was bleeding. It was as bad one too.
Sometimes when I have them I get mad or sad and I always overheat. I can't breathe properly and I just feel like my body is shutting down on me. I feel dizzy and I just want to cry.
Today I asked my Mum if we could get some more tablets because I really needed them and she didn't answer me. She just said that they were so expensive and said that she would think about it which means no. I don't want to make a big deal out of it because I hate making my parents feel bad, and I absolutely hate the feeling that comes with having them spend lots of money on me.
I could pay for them myself but I know that makes Mum and Dad feel even worse because they feel like they can't provide for me. I am just sick of not having any money and I'm absolutely sick of always being sick. In the process of not stressing them out I end up being more stressed myself which means I put off homework which ends up with me being even more stressed near due dates and I don't sleep.

So much for making this short... I didn't know where this would go either but I guess I just wanted to whinge.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: I'm just sick of it! - May 22nd 2011, 02:59 PM

It's strange... because most nosebleeds in fact develop in winter, when the air is cold and dry which dries out the skin in your nose, causing it to crack and bleed.

Perhaps there's something in the air during spring/summer/autumn months that aggravates your nose, causing sneezing for example. Like an allergy, hay fever maybe?

Nosebleeds are more prone in people where there is some protruding blood vessel inside their nose, which is more easily aggravated. I don't know much about the condition from what you described, but I don't see how tablets would make such a blood vessel less vulnerable. Perhaps the tablets were some sort of blood clotting agent? Could you post their name?

What I had done, is something called cauterisation. They basically burn that protruding blood vessel inside your nose, and seal it that way which stops it from bleeding. You should ask about it. It can be painful, but not as painful and annoying as what you're going through now. I don't know how much it costs, I had it done free on the NHS in the UK (free health service).

I found this link, which has hell loads of information:
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/noseb...htm#Nosebleeds Overview

If you've got some spare time, read this:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-s...-d/#post631229

But don't if you're easily triggered. If you're not easily triggered then go ahead.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
VivoRisataAmore Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

Re: I'm just sick of it! - May 23rd 2011, 09:08 AM

I've always known that my body is strange so that's just another thing to add to the long list. :P

What the tablets do, according to the guy I got them from, strengthen the vessel to stop it breaking. They are a dietary supliment called something but they contain pine bark...

I've heard of that before, I think it would be cheap here too since we have medicare but then I'd have to go to the doctors and doctors have never been helpful for me. 'Just go home and come back if it hasn't gone away in a few days.' I'm defenitly going to check it out though!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: I'm just sick of it! - May 25th 2011, 04:35 AM

Hi again

I don't know how the health system over where you live works. How do you actually obtain the tablets? Do you get the straight from the doctor's surgery, and pay at the counter, or do you go to a separate pharmacy? I'm not under impression they are something you need a prescription for, as they are food supplements.

The thing is I found something online (took 30 seconds), that sounds similar, and is a lot cheaper. It's probably not the same thing, but you could do some research yourself, and potentially find online stores which sell this supplement a lot cheaper than where you are currently getting it from.

Here's a link to what I found:
http://www.discount-supplements.co.u...tem=ref0-02385

It's a UK based company though, so I'd look for others if I were you, as delivery can be expensive overseas.

There are also Nasal creams available. One that I've used in the past is called "Naseptin Nasal Cream". What it does is simply moisturise the skin inside your nose, but also fights any infections that could develop as a result of nosebleeds. Infections can further provoke nosebleeds, as there is swelling etc... The cream is only available on prescription where I live. Here's the link to some more info:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001795.html

It might not even be available where you live though.

Good luck with sorting it all out.

If you've got some spare time, read this:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-s...-d/#post631229

But don't if you're easily triggered. If you're not easily triggered then go ahead.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread