TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21

Work - October 29th 2011, 11:21 AM

Just got my rota through for next week. 19 hours and 30 minutes work. Less than half of what I need in order to pay.my.bills. I hate this stupid job. £6.95 an hour to be verbally abused whilst elbow deep in faeces and urine, and I don't even get sick pay or lunch breaks. It's a joke. I am dreading work on monday because I have the same person 3 times and last time I was there she made me cry (not that I let her see it) - I read through her risk assessment, she has no problems that would effect her personality such as depression, dementia or a stroke, so she's got no excuse to be so horrible. So now I have to sit there and listen to her shit and if I disagree with her, she'll phone the office and complain about me and tell them a pack of lies. I would actually rip my own fingernails off than spend time with that hag, even if I do get paid for it. I just don't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing that she's gotten to me.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 13,321, Level: 16 Points: 13,321, Level: 16 Points: 13,321, Level: 16

Re: Work - October 29th 2011, 01:00 PM

Can you not make a complaint about her?

The customer doesn't always have to be right. They certainly don't have to get away with being a bitch.

It's not fair that you are reduced to tears by her. You're just trying to help her, after all.

If I were you I would definitely speak to your manager about her, if you haven't done already.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Work - October 29th 2011, 07:22 PM

The office laughed when I told them what she had been saying. They just said "yeah, she doesn't like new carers" - well why send me in there then? Besides, I don't think they'd do anything anyway. There's only one client we've had to stop seeing and that was because she pinched several carers. Besides, I don't want to seem like I can't handle the work because if they think that, then I'll be sure to get even less hours. I cannot wait until I can find another job, because even the office staff treat us like crap. I might mention it in my review in a couple of weeks time
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Thumbs down Re: Work - October 29th 2011, 07:58 PM

How unsupportive!

Maybe some of those "office staff" should spend some time on the front line actually dealing with clients face-to-face and then see how they like being verbally abused!

It would be very unfair if they thought that you couldn't handle the work and you should make this clear to them. The job description is difficult enough due to the nature of it, without the additional burden of abusive clients. I think that most people would find the abuse difficult to deal with it and it's not a sign of weakness.

Definitely mention it in your review and definitely look for another job when possible.

I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with this. My PM box is always there if you need to vent.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Work - October 29th 2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Poppins View Post
Maybe some of those "office staff" should spend some time on the front line actually dealing with clients face-to-face and then see how they like being verbally abused!
I couldn't agree with you more on that! I've already applied for like 15 jobs and I'm in the process of applying for a degree in adult nursing, because I really do like the work most of the time, I just wish they paid me enough to actually eat - I'm sick of living in my overdraft, I haven't been drunk in over 6 weeks, I've quit smoking, I've basically stopped doing everything except going to work, sleeping and eating because I have no money. In fact, I don't have enough in my account to pay all my bills this month due to being on emergency tax
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Work - October 29th 2011, 08:55 PM

I've just been given a conditional offer (subject to police and health checks) to work as Healthcare Assistant on a hospital ward for "Acute, Stroke and Care of the Elderly". (Am I mad? Yes.)

I'm not sure if I will take the job, because I am still waiting to hear about another two (one on a Paediatric ward and the other in an Operating Department). However, if I do take this position, I really hope the patients aren't like this woman you mentioned! I will have enough to deal with, what with the feeding, washing, dressing, clearing up of urine and faeces, etc etc (you know the drill!)

I hope to study for a degree in Nursing too (Paediatrics). I think being a qualified nurse is the best route to take because, from what I've heard, you are treated with a lot more respect than care assistants (even though I don't agree with this, since care assistants seem to do as much work as the nurses).

When are you hoping to go to uni? 2012 like me?

x

Closed Thread