TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Games and Things Here you can find popular chit-chat threads like games and surveys.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Cool Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 9th 2016, 07:17 PM

Hi guys!

I've heard it more than once on teen help forums: 'how do I ask him/her out? I'm too nervous to try in case it comes out wrong.' Well, I figured that a sandbox thread like this would be a great way of getting over that.

This is a thread for practicing asking people out on dates. A place to get it wrong, figure out how to do it better next time, see how other people do it, and generally become an old hand at it by the time you go and do it in the real world, for real.

Anyone up for it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 9th 2016, 08:05 PM

*looks around at the silence*

...must I?

If I start this off then I'm going to look like a narcissist. So please, please, please don't think I am, I'm just getting the ball rolling, 'kay?

*ahem*

Hey, Satine! I'm going into town this weekend and I wonder if you want to come and join me, and maybe have a coffee. I'd love to say I know an amazing, out-of-the-way place for us to go, but the most out-of-the-way place I know is Starbucks.

I just want to get to know you a bit better.

~*~

Okay, now please can someone else join in, so that I don't look like too self-obsessed? Plzthxbi

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Notsure Offline
Average Joe

Name: Sam

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 9th 2016, 08:26 PM

Marry me, Satine. But first lets go to the Large Hadron Collider... Or a restaurant... I think the latter is an easier and more appropriate option.

This is a great idea in my opinion.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 9th 2016, 09:55 PM

can't ask person above jail bait

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 9th 2016, 11:23 PM

I've moved this to Games and Things since you're not asking for advice and this seems game-like.
(Sorry to break the rhythm of this post )

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 10th 2016, 02:17 AM

Not that you would accept because I think your straight but.

since it's long distance I would write you a letter or pm and tell you what I think about you. I will be really honest because if I could I would ask you out.

Dear Nicole,
I think you are a very sweet. kind and caring person. I admire how good you are at helping people. Your personality is amazing and theirs a bonus that you are cute but that is not why I'm righting this. I am righting this because I would love to be you gf.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
......nobody Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 10th 2016, 06:08 PM

So, do you want a girlfriend? ( That's how I got my ex xD )

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 10th 2016, 06:21 PM

I like you, Alisha.

(Not good with asking people on a date. *shrugs* )

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 14th 2016, 09:03 PM

Hmm. Okay, this didn't work out as I'd hoped.

Firstly, I put this in the Relationships forum instead of the games forum because it was intended to be a support tool, not a game. While it's definitely a valid (perhaps even preferable) approach to be lighthearted when asking someone out on a date, I didn't mean to make this into a game.

Secondly, I set this up in response to a particular person on this forum who is nervous about asking a girl out because he fears being creepy, so I feel that the jail bait comment was unhelpful.

Perhaps this thread should have been designed differently? Would it have been better to ask people to give their anecdotes about times they asked/were asked out on a date, what was said, how it went, etc.? Would that make this thread feel more neutral?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

And if this thread doesn't go any further than this, then here's a brief message to the person I started it for: sorry, mate. Not everything works out, but it's always worth having a try, eh?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Invite The Person Above On A Date! - March 14th 2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satine View Post
Hmm. Okay, this didn't work out as I'd hoped.

Firstly, I put this in the Relationships forum instead of the games forum because it was intended to be a support tool, not a game. While it's definitely a valid (perhaps even preferable) approach to be lighthearted when asking someone out on a date, I didn't mean to make this into a game.

Secondly, I set this up in response to a particular person on this forum who is nervous about asking a girl out because he fears being creepy, so I feel that the jail bait comment was unhelpful.

Perhaps this thread should have been designed differently? Would it have been better to ask people to give their anecdotes about times they asked/were asked out on a date, what was said, how it went, etc.? Would that make this thread feel more neutral?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

And if this thread doesn't go any further than this, then here's a brief message to the person I started it for: sorry, mate. Not everything works out, but it's always worth having a try, eh?
Due to the way the title was written, admittedly it did seem like more of a game than anything else but I think your intentions to help provide support were in the right place.

I doubt Frankie meant her comment in a negative or unhelpful way, just that realistically, it'd be both awkward and uncomfortable for a 24 year old to ask a 14 year old out on a 'date', even if it's not a real one.

I understand where you intended to go with this thread, to help give a user some confidence in asking this one specific girl out, so I think in my personal opinion it could have been structured out similar to what you've mentioned here, or to see if users would provide some other tips/lines that may be helpful in asking someone out in the future.

Life is for living, not for losing.

Closed Thread