TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 07:04 PM

http://www.abortionno.org/ <- graphic abortion pictures and videos. This is where it may be triggering.

A group that uses shock techniques to spread their message about abortion. They use pictures linking abortion to racial and religious genocide.

Do you think their techniques are fair to use in public areas? Is it in good taste?

I'll link to actual pictures if it stops raining tomorrow.

Edit: I'm not asking what you think about abortion, just the techniques of the GAP.

Like I'd also like to post pictures of their signs, but I don't want to force them down anyone's throat. On the flip side, it's hard to miss them when they are on several 6 by 14 feet signs in the middle of the sidewalk. It's going to be in two different areas where there is a lot of traffic. The other two spots, you're most likely going to be bypassing them because most of the students who live on campus live on the South. Plus it's in the area of where most the buildings are.

Anyway, Google OSU GAP 2009 in a few days (if you aren't going to be grossed out by the pics of "aborted" fetuses) and guess which protester against the signs is me. Given that the GAP takes videos and pictures of those who don't support them, you can also probably find my real name underneath the picture.

Beware of the cats.

Last edited by Adean; April 6th 2009 at 07:57 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 07:17 PM

Shock abuse No i have nothing against Abortion.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 08:42 PM

first off, what is about Genocide Awareness?

Second off, no, I don't believe these guys are fair. Shock tactics are so stupid.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 09:05 PM

I'm really tempted to start a campaign against heart surgery. I could make videos that are equally as gory, and I'd have just about as much scientific and moral justification as the anti-abortion mob.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 09:46 PM

I just heard about them because they showed up to campus today with little warning. The group that invited them (if there is a group) kept it on the down-low for obvious reasons.

They are against the legalization of abortion and they these huge signs that are 6' by 14' (there's another size, but I think the signs I've seen are that size) are set up in a very public area. These signs are created in a cube-like formation and are protected by barriers and people standing between the barriers and the signs.

These signs (and the stuff on their truck) equate abortion to genocide. They use Nazi swastika to link pro-choicers and women who have abortions to the Nazis. They also link abortion to racial and religious genocides. They have a giant definition on the boards that justify their reasoning why abortion is genocide.

There are pictures of cut up fetuses and other religious messages. The pictures are the gory, shock kind that are not appropriate for children. They also have had pictures of genocide victims (I don't know about the current set up, I'll look tomorrow) next to the aborted fetuses. These can be triggering for people who have had abortions or just in general. They also link abortion to higher rates of breast cancer, which is not true.

They also claim the pictures are accurate but won't reveal the sources of the pictures, only having one biased doctor verify that they appear accurate. They give a reason for this as legal reasons, but who knows.

The point is to shock people into following their beliefs. The first thing you see on their web site is an abortion video. Where was it attained? I want to know if the woman gave her consent if it was real?

One quote that I love, "While CBR does what it can to minimize such exposure..." By showing blown-up pictures that are taller than the supporters in a very public area? I think it was visible from High Street too. By having it on their trucks that they drive around? Yeah, they are trying to minimize the effect.

The group also does not take into account that some of the side effects of abortion are also common with pregnancy. You're more likely to die from giving birth than an abortion. Pregnancy whether by c-section or natural is not something that can be taken lightly.

Plus the whole "there's not enough babies" thing annoys me. Until every child or teenager in the system is adopted, then there shouldn't be anyone campaigning to add more. Everyone wants a baby, no one wants a kid it seems.

There have been some commenting of pictures of protesters on the Internet that also makes me a little wary.

Here is a link to a smaller version of the banners I saw today. Triggering and gruesome.
http://tnjn.com/content/storyimage/2007/09/14/1.box.jpg

Beware of the cats.

Last edited by Adean; April 6th 2009 at 10:05 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 09:58 PM

To be honest, I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't agree with them and I don't like how they are going about spreading their message. I don't want that stuff shoved down my throat.

--A

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 10:01 PM

I couldn't even bring myself to watch that video, I seem to get really grossed out these days I never used to. Anyway, they're entitled to their own opinion but I don't agree with them, it depends on the individual person who actually wants an abortion. What if giving birth meant that the mother and child would both die anyway? Wouldn't it be better that the mother survived rather than they both die?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 10:04 PM

Isn't genocide the systematic extermination of a certain race or races of people?

And since abortions are performed the world over that doesn't make it genocide. Plus, like it or not, a foetus is not considered to be alive until 21/24 weeks.

I agree with Acheron here, these anti-abortion people are just standing in the way of progress like their religion commands them to

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 6th 2009, 10:15 PM

Their argument is that they are considered a person and the definition had a bold and underline "other group" highlighted. I'll try to take some pictures. I was editing my post up there and I added a link to a very unsafe and possibly triggering picture.

I do not agree how the university handled this. I know they've come before and the university should have sent out a warning. I found out about it through VOX and that was only yesterday.

They should also have the right to censor the speeches of outside groups or at least force them into an out of the way spot such as Ag campus. No one goes there. No one.

It's unfair but these exhibits have hurt women who have had abortions or miscarriages from the images they show. They have offended minorities when they use genocide victims in such a way. They also offend women when they are linked to being Nazis because they had an abortion.

I should support them, but I don't because I don't think they have a place here on the university grounds as an outside group. They are blocking traffic by making these narrow pathways where students have to walk close to the images if they want to enter campus on 15th street. I'll have to walk by them tomorrow to get to the psych building.

It's not fair, but in my eyes these people are lower than the Neo Nazis that marched in Toledo. I supported the Neo Nazis marching, but this is something completely different. To try to intimidate a person in this style for moral and religious reasons is just wrong.

Beware of the cats.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 7th 2009, 02:56 PM

The right to protest and petition does have limits, and I wonder if they're breaking any laws in doing this. I would imagine that harassment and use of such graphic images wouldn't be allowed on a university campus, but I guess I'm wrong.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 7th 2009, 04:37 PM

There is a difference between illegal and being enforceable unfortunately. I'd imagine it's wrong, abortion isn't even a genocide...

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 7th 2009, 11:50 PM

Well, the group is known for suing large campuses to get money if the campus tries to "limit" their freedom of speech. Today there were cops out there watching them, but they didn't do anything when one student acting independently from us decided to make his own sign and protest in front of the group on the sidewalk. Then three members decided to go over there.

Several came over to us and we weren't supposed to engage them based on the advice of our PP liason (because she didn't want there to be any fights or give them a reason to complain. Some students did go over there so oops?)

We're pretty sure one guy from GAP decided to try to degrade Jews by changing a pro-choice message about how the Nazis killed people, abortions kill fetuses to Nazis kill vermin. The guy instantly knew of the comparison after two other members told us that who knows why anyone writes that stuff on the board. Plus we didn't pull that conclusion after reading it.

They also won't name the group that invited them on campus, if there was a group. If I was a volunteer, I'd be using the name to justify why we were here.

We did have a lot of support by people. One guy was so furious because he saw the signs warning people about pictures of genocide and thought he was going to see a display about genocides only to be shown how it was linking abortion to genocide. Then several people offered donations and even one parent thanked us for standing out there.

I do have a question, is it passover? I read somewhere that they time these rallies based off of Jewish and African holidays, but that might be by chance.

Now, some comments on the pamphlet they gave out. I'm not going to type the whole thing, sorry guys.

Here are some of their arguments:

1. Is Arnold Schwarzenegger more of a person than Celine Dion because he is larger?

2. Does the unborn's level of development make them less human than old children?

3. The unborn live in a special place, their mother's womb. Born people also live in a special environment. Does our location determine who we are? Why should a child outside the birth canal be more of a person than one inside it? Environment does not determine personhood.

4. If the ability to survive independently from others (such as outside the mother's womb) makes us human, then it follows that all born people dependent on incubators, dialysis machines, or insulin are non-persons or less human than those of us who are not.

Beware of the cats.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 7th 2009, 11:53 PM

Whoa wait the group told you you couldn't write what you wanted on the board? You can write hail satan all you want and there's nothing they can do!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 8th 2009, 12:01 AM

No, they just changed things that were written on the board. They crossed out the fuck in something along the lines of Why is it that pro-lifers are always the people you wouldn't want to fuck in the first place? Sort of amusing since fuck is a lot less offensive than the images they were showing.

Beware of the cats.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 8th 2009, 04:04 AM

LOL, hmm I think I saw a foot with 4 toes LOL. Anyways, I don't see how abortion is genocide in any remote way.

As for the videos, I have to say, those of you who complain about this being "shoved down your throat" ... LOL... it's the opposite of being shoved down your throat. You have the choice to a) enter the thread that says it's triggering , b) click on the link where the OP says it's triggering, c) watch the video and the first part of it says it's graphic, d) you can hit pause, stop or close the window at any time. I don't see how this is even close to shoving it down your throat. Perhaps if it wasn't on a forum, then remove a).

If they wish to use videos of any kind, then I have no problem with it. Personally, I didn't find this gory in the least, although perhaps that's a reflection of the torture and killing videos I often watch. In any case, that's off-topic.

I don't exactly see how this is a shock tactic. It's showing you what an abortion is like, they're not twisting it around to be some horrible thing, they're just filming an abortion and that's all. It's the same as me protesting to stop street violence and I show a video and pictures of someone getting the piss kicked out of them then dying. It's not being shoved down your throat as if you don't want to watch, then don't watch (BTW, I don't protest against this, it's just an example but there are plenty of videos of someone being killed on streets and not only by guns or knives so it's not me spewing horsecrap). It's simply them giving their opinion and using some silly harmless video in the process.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 8th 2009, 04:10 AM

Yournightmare some people are sensitive to topics of this nature.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 8th 2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
LOL, hmm I think I saw a foot with 4 toes LOL. Anyways, I don't see how abortion is genocide in any remote way.

As for the videos, I have to say, those of you who complain about this being "shoved down your throat" ... LOL... it's the opposite of being shoved down your throat. You have the choice to a) enter the thread that says it's triggering , b) click on the link where the OP says it's triggering, c) watch the video and the first part of it says it's graphic, d) you can hit pause, stop or close the window at any time. I don't see how this is even close to shoving it down your throat. Perhaps if it wasn't on a forum, then remove a).

If they wish to use videos of any kind, then I have no problem with it. Personally, I didn't find this gory in the least, although perhaps that's a reflection of the torture and killing videos I often watch. In any case, that's off-topic.

I don't exactly see how this is a shock tactic. It's showing you what an abortion is like, they're not twisting it around to be some horrible thing, they're just filming an abortion and that's all. It's the same as me protesting to stop street violence and I show a video and pictures of someone getting the piss kicked out of them then dying. It's not being shoved down your throat as if you don't want to watch, then don't watch (BTW, I don't protest against this, it's just an example but there are plenty of videos of someone being killed on streets and not only by guns or knives so it's not me spewing horsecrap). It's simply them giving their opinion and using some silly harmless video in the process.
The shock tactic is that they are using gory pictures out in the public on hard to miss signs that are about 8 by 14 feet on a busy street with a lot of pedestrian traffic. Given the locations they used, it is hard to get to class without taking a huge detour if your classes are in certain buildings. I did not see any warning signs on Monday, but Tuesday there were some poorly placed signs.

It is shoving it down students' throats when there is little warning of the group coming to campus (and most of the students didn't know they were coming.) They also have it in highly trafficked areas that make it hard to get to class without going out of your way due to construction. Plus some students didn't even know that they were going to be seeing gory abortion pictures, they thought it was an exhibit about genocide. I don't think they think anyone said that by clicking on the web site, they were having it shoved down their throats. Rather, they wouldn't like to see it on the streets where they have no choice.

The web site is whatever. However, it's different seeing it on the street.

Beware of the cats.

Last edited by Adean; April 8th 2009 at 04:33 AM.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 8th 2009, 04:42 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Do I like the images? No. Do they make my think twice about abortion? Yes, somewhat. I would never get one, personally, unless I was raped or the pregnancy could seriously harm or kill me. But the images make me.. feel somewhat guilty? I don't know. I don't think I would want that shoved down my throat, though.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 8th 2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adean View Post
The shock tactic is that they are using gory pictures out in the public on hard to miss signs that are about 8 by 14 feet on a busy street with a lot of pedestrian traffic. Given the locations they used, it is hard to get to class without taking a huge detour if your classes are in certain buildings. I did not see any warning signs on Monday, but Tuesday there were some poorly placed signs.

It is shoving it down students' throats when there is little warning of the group coming to campus (and most of the students didn't know they were coming.) They also have it in highly trafficked areas that make it hard to get to class without going out of your way due to construction. Plus some students didn't even know that they were going to be seeing gory abortion pictures, they thought it was an exhibit about genocide. I don't think they think anyone said that by clicking on the web site, they were having it shoved down their throats. Rather, they wouldn't like to see it on the streets where they have no choice.

The web site is whatever. However, it's different seeing it on the street.
I was referring only to their website as I tried to indicate.

If they're on the streets, then yes, it is different and there it can be shoved down people's throats.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 8th 2009, 04:31 PM

Oh yeah, I could care less about what they put on their website. It is an anti-abortion website after all. It's the street signs that I hate.

Beware of the cats.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 9th 2009, 02:29 AM

Well... I was NOT expecting to see that...
I didn't watch it after that, but I don't think abortion is comparable to genocide. It's two unrelated things. This group reminds me of PETA, except they don't have a good motive.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Genocide Awareness Project - April 9th 2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Well... I was NOT expecting to see that...
I didn't watch it after that, but I don't think abortion is comparable to genocide. It's two unrelated things. This group reminds me of PETA, except they don't have a good motive.
And they eat meat. Yeah, we did ask several volunteers about their meat eating status.

The twins were out protesting the usage of the Holocaust for their propaganda. The twins are two Jewish students who have debated with other psycho people. I love them.

Beware of the cats.

Closed Thread