TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 11th 2009, 11:10 PM

Article

I'd love to be a girl in China looking for a boyfriend. The imbalance is crazy though. I can see it causing a lot of problems.

--A

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 11th 2009, 11:23 PM

I can also see this causing a lot of problems down the rode. It's partly due to girl-babies not being wanted though, and being abandoned. Hopefully China will get rid of the one child policy.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
7thCavalry Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 11th 2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Hopefully China will get rid of the one child policy.
The problem with that is OVER-population. Way more then China already has. And if they have over population....Starvation...can occur...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 11th 2009, 11:40 PM

I agree that a country with that large a population needs some kind of control, but the one-child policy obviously has its own flaws. It makes me wonder how well a two-child policy would work. It still keeps the population in check; two parents to two children, so the population shouldn't grow, but it should do a lot to soothe the "must have boy" mentality.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 11th 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
I agree that a country with that large a population needs some kind of control, but the one-child policy obviously has its own flaws. It makes me wonder how well a two-child policy would work. It still keeps the population in check; two parents to two children, so the population shouldn't grow, but it should do a lot to soothe the "must have boy" mentality.
I think currently in rural China, they have a two-child policy with some exceptions. In rural families, if the first child born is a girl, the family is allowed to keep her and still try for a boy. If you get your boy, great, no need to try for more children...but if the second child is also a girl, that's it.

I'm really not sure what China should do. On the one hand, the one-child policy is creating a ridiculous imbalance in population. But if they eliminate it, their population could explode.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 12th 2009, 12:24 AM

The one child policy would be fine in theory, but the problem is that girls aren't as "good" at working on farms and whatnot. The problem isn't the policy; it's the way people choose to deal with the hand they're dealt.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 12th 2009, 02:06 AM

In theory yes, the policy is sound, but it fails to take human nature and (particularly) culture into account. And while you can alter the policy to account for the culture, it will take a very long time to change the culture to fit the policy, if such a change is even possible. So the policy isn't the root of the problem, but it's still part of it, and more importantly it's the part that can be addressed.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 12th 2009, 05:33 AM

I agree that the policy isn't the entire problem, but to be honest and frank, if I were a mother in China, I'd be hoping for a boy, too! Girls don't have the same opportunities as boys in China, especially not in a rural context. Face it, girls, on average, are not as strong or as inclined to work physically as boys are. If I could only have one or two children to work my farm, you bet I'd want boys!

I'd also like to point out that there are not enough boys in China for every Chinese girl and ALSO for every man, woman and child in Canada. EVERY Chinese boy could marry a Canadian PERSON, and there would still be enough left over for EVERY Chinese girl. Where's mine? :P

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 12th 2009, 08:35 AM

The one-child policy is necessary, as a country that over-populated requires some sort of control. Changing this is going to lead to problems for two reasons. First, it's going to make the already over-populated country even more over-populated. Second, it would require changing tradition where males are favoured. I think some would accept the change but many others probably wouldn't. In less populated areas, it's fine to have multiple children but males are still favoured. If let's say 50% are for the cultural change and 50% are against, it's going to lead to a big mess.

The alternative is to make jobs more accessible and more friendly for females, however, that still won't solve the over-population problem. Lots of Chinese have emigrated elsewhere but it's still over-populated. Either more have to emigrate or it's time to open up quite a few human slaughter houses, or possibly both.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kate

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 12th 2009, 09:07 AM

the one child policy is necessary as they are trying to bring their population under control. a 2 child policy would keep the population at the level it is as people continue to replace themselves, and with being able to have more than that, the population increases. So the one child policy is implimented for a reason, and hopefully working for them.

as for the ratio - the chances of finding a boyfriend over there sound pretty good to me haha

(#11 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 12th 2009, 09:21 AM

haha I just came from there and i was wondering why every single girl had a boyfriend!! (haha just realised i said single girl)

There are 33million women missing in China (see 50 facts to change the world, whattabook!)

Which would balance things out a bit more evenly lol.

A single thread in a tapestry
Through its color brightly shine
Can never see its purpose
In the pattern of the grand design

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Kate Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kate

Re: Boys Outnumber Girls in China by 32M - April 12th 2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
There are 33million women missing in China (see 50 facts to change the world, whattabook!)

Which would balance things out a bit more evenly lol.
Wow!!! That is terribly on the countries behalf that they have 33million of their people unaccounted for!

Would not want to be the one that had to own up to that!

How does a country of that size get away with something like that???

Closed Thread