TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Exclamation Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 08:35 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've been rather busy these past few weeks and failed to reach my monthly quota last months for "people pissed off". So I figured I might as well take care of this month, and retroactively last month, lest I make the bossman any more mad.

All humor aside, mega-trigger thread, be warned.

Let's avoid the evolution debate here, so just bear with me and can we all agree, pretend, or shut-up and agree that evolution happens under current scientific understanding.

Pre-Agriculture

Agriculture wasn't so much discovered as it was made practical. The big hitch to agriculture wasn't how to actually preform it, but how to store it. Agriculture is calories invested for a larger gain in the end, paying out at a single instant in time. That being two seasons invested in farming for a payout of four seasons worth of food. Unfortunately, this is not something that you get over time, but at harvest time, where you get your "payment" in a lump sum. Because of that you need to store it for the next year until harvest season comes around again.

On the other hand, hunting is a short period of work, for a small, immediate, reward, that will be consumed before it could go bad. As a result, hunting served as the primary means for survival for thousands of years, until adequate storage was invented. Because of this the idea of "my" was virtually nonexistent in pre-agrarian societies. Even in more modern times, such as the Native Americans, there was very little ownership (they having had very rudimentary farming). They didn't believe you could own land, and most personal property was no more then one could carry on their back. Compared to the Europeans and such who had a very strong idea of "My, mine, ours", who also had a tradition of agriculture.

All of this comes back to, rape was most likely far less traumatic in pre-agrarian societies, and even early-classical era societies. This being a result of their lack of ownership, not only of property, but the self, and their lack of preconceived ideals of human rights (artificial constructs). The major trauma experienced by victims now, is a result of our artificial notions of ownership, from property, to more specifically, our person, and rights as a person.

Genetic Implications

Human sexual patterns are a result of evolution and genetic factors, society and law are used as a means to equal the playing field and maintain order. Men invest extremely little in reproduction, with nearly three million sperm gametes per ejaculation it's a "theoretical" three million children that one could create (of course in practicality that's an impossibility). Women on the other hand invest a good deal, with only one egg per cycle, and a nine month pregnancy, plus risk of death in childbirth, they want to be far choosier with their mates then men. When a man reproduces he has no physical obligation to the child, as he could impregnate any number of women in a short period of time, and it's in his genetic interest to do so, as it ensures the survival of his genes to the next generation. Why put all your eggs in one basket (or your sperm in one woman ) when you could invest very little in having many women and therefore a likelier chance of continuing your genetic legacy.

Those sexual patterns mentioned before exist because take pedophilia and homosexuality, it's (from a genetic point of view), nonbenificial, you can't reproduce with a child, nor can you with a person of the same gender, so those factors have been bred out to a small segment of the population, as opposed to the men interested in pubescent and upwards girls who were able to reproduce.

Also interesting is that most rapes occur to women of childbearing age (80% being under the age of 30, and 9/10 of victims are women, and only 15% of rapes occurring to prepubescence individuals), even though they would be the most fit to resist. If rape were simply about dominance then it would be odd to choose victims so capable to fighting back. One must also consider the low percentage of violence in most rapes (of forcible rape, 84% didn't involve physical injury), even those that are forced, as for a man, it would be a bad idea to injure the person who would be carrying your genes to term. At the same time, for the woman, it would be best to resist as little as possible, lest she risk injury, and therefore, death. Theoretically then, humans are descended from the men who raped the most, and the women who fought back the least.

Rape is also observable in many species, from humans to primates to hundreds and hundreds of mammals. Rape fantasies are also the most common human fantasy, over half of college aged women have rape fantasies.

The final idea here is, rape is just about sex, and theories of "dominance motive" are simply feminist fallacies.

LOVE YOU ALL, HAVE FUN!!!

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 09:36 PM

Interesting way of putting it

Whilst what you say is true, we are a modern society, and - for the most part - more civilised than the first humans.
In any case, it is generally considered morally wrong to rape someone in today's society, and I agree for the reasons you give about the risks of childbirth.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 10:36 PM

Guile: However, people also once bashed each other's skulls in with rocks over anything from stealing food, to trespassing. This means those who were best at killing and defending were the ones who survived.

On a evolutionary scale, animals develop the concept of personal ownership before they understand the ownership of others, that means that stealing must be natural as well. By this definition, the people who stole the most must've been the ones to survive.

Rape was natural at one point, all free range chickens are a product of rape, as chickens aren't intelligent enough to understand consensual sex. However with the way our modern world is crafted, society would break down just as it would if killing/stealing were suddenly legal. It would also break down if rape were suddenly legal. It's also worth noting we, as human beings are smarter than free range chickens. Just as men don't fight to the death over territory as male chickens do, human men don't rape, as we simply know better.

Also worth noting, upon being castrated, male sex offenders generally move on to different violent crimes. Ben posted and interesting study a while back, if he doesn't find it/post it first, I'll dig it up.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Guile: However, people also once bashed each other's skulls in with rocks over anything from stealing food, to trespassing. This means those who were best at killing and defending were the ones who survived.

On a evolutionary scale, animals develop the concept of personal ownership before they understand the ownership of others, that means that stealing must be natural as well. By this definition, the people who stole the most must've been the ones to survive.

Rape was natural at one point, all free range chickens are a product of rape, as chickens aren't intelligent enough to understand consensual sex. However with the way our modern world is crafted, society would break down just as it would if killing/stealing were suddenly legal. It would also break down if rape were suddenly legal. It's also worth noting we, as human beings are smarter than free range chickens. Just as men don't fight to the death over territory as male chickens do, human men don't rape, as we simply know better.

Also worth noting, upon being castrated, male sex offenders generally move on to different violent crimes. Ben posted and interesting study a while back, if he doesn't find it/post it first, I'll dig it up.

- Justin
Yes of course I know we've moved beyond that, as per the lack of street-wide rape-orgies (rapegies?) happening.

What I am arguing though, is that rape is about sex, not dominance, as feminists lead you to believe.

Space Flight Awards

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20 Points: 19,512, Level: 20

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 10:47 PM

Guile: True, but your average run-of-the-mill Joe isn't going to rape someone just because he hasn't got any in a few months.

I'd speculate it's attributed to two things:
1. Yes, dominance. This would explain the cases where offenders went on to other violent crimes upon castration.
2. Lack of control caused by a variety of things from mental disorder to simply being less evolved.

Anyhow, very interesting topic.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 10:50 PM

Personally, I think that the thing I found most interesting is that, whatever points and counterarguments are made, the OP makes perfect sense!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14 Points: 9,718, Level: 14

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:06 PM

I could be wrong, but I could've sworn there was a correlation between a certain percentage of male rapists having had parental (or more specifically mother) issues during childhood and subsequent misogynistic power/dominance issues. Not that the idea of the feminists blowing things out of proportion (or to quote Kenji, "a feminist conspiracy!") is necessarily implausible, but it does make sense that at least some rapists would be motivated by the aforementioned personality traits. Misogyny is real, and it's certainly not a stretch to imagine that someone growing up with an abusive or neglectful mother might end up hating women later in life, and want to exert some form of vindictive dominance over them.

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Guile: True, but your average run-of-the-mill Joe isn't going to rape someone just because he hasn't got any in a few months.

I'd speculate it's attributed to two things:
1. Yes, dominance. This would explain the cases where offenders went on to other violent crimes upon castration.
2. Lack of control caused by a variety of things from mental disorder to simply being less evolved.

Anyhow, very interesting topic.

- Justin
1. I think it has more to do with "Well I've raped so what, will I be a bad guy now?".

The rape is almost entirely about sex, they want it, and due to poor impulse control, they just take it. Yes, some are about dominance, but I think those ones are more into the mental area, because they're trying to fill an emotional and mental void.

2. No argument here.

Space Flight Awards

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
1. I think it has more to do with "Well I've raped so what, will I be a bad guy now?".

The rape is almost entirely about sex, they want it, and due to poor impulse control, they just take it. Yes, some are about dominance, but I think those ones are more into the mental area, because they're trying to fill an emotional and mental void.

2. No argument here.
Now you're just contradicting yourself. In your original post, you ended by saying that rape is all about sex and theories of dominance are "feminist fallacies." Now you're saying that some are about dominance. So which is it then?

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koharuchan View Post
Now you're just contradicting yourself. In your original post, you ended by saying that rape is all about sex and theories of dominance are "feminist fallacies." Now you're saying that some are about dominance. So which is it then?
It is almost always due to sex, but of course with everything there are the occasional exceptions. I'm saying that there are a couple nuts in every bag.

Space Flight Awards

(#11 (permalink)) Old
L'Aviatrice Offline
Ex astris, scientia
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kelly

Points: 7,405, Level: 12 Points: 7,405, Level: 12 Points: 7,405, Level: 12

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:27 PM

If a person is heinous enough to be a rapist, they will not have the moral capacity to know the difference between sex and dominance. They will see them as one and the same.

And, going back to your original post...
Quote:
Also interesting is that most rapes occur to women of childbearing age (80% being under the age of 30, and 9/10 of victims are women, and only 15% of rapes occurring to prepubescence individuals), even though they would be the most fit to resist. If rape were simply about dominance then it would be odd to choose victims so capable to fighting back. One must also consider the low percentage of violence in most rapes (of forcible rape, 84% didn't involve physical injury), even those that are forced, as for a man, it would be a bad idea to injure the person who would be carrying your genes to term.
Based off of the statistics you offered, it sounds to me like you're suggesting that rapists rape because they want to reproduce... surely that cannot be the case.

L'Aviatrice
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_quark View Post
I could be wrong, but I could've sworn there was a correlation between a certain percentage of male rapists having had parental (or more specifically mother) issues during childhood and subsequent misogynistic power/dominance issues. Not that the idea of the feminists blowing things out of proportion (or to quote Kenji, "a feminist conspiracy!") is necessarily implausible, but it does make sense that at least some rapists would be motivated by the aforementioned personality traits. Misogyny is real, and it's certainly not a stretch to imagine that someone growing up with an abusive or neglectful mother might end up hating women later in life, and want to exert some form of vindictive dominance over them.

True, but Occam's Razor is a great theory here.

Sure, sometimes, occasional oddity and fluke, but overall the simplest answer is the best, sex is the reason for forced sex.

Space Flight Awards

(#13 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Quote:
It is almost always due to sex, but of course with everything there are the occasional exceptions. I'm saying that there are a couple nuts in every bag.
Then you probably should've included that in your original post, instead of a sweeping assertion that dominance theories are feminist BS.

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_quark View Post

Then you probably should've included that in your original post, instead of a sweeping assertion that dominance theories are feminist BS.
You don't need to add little lawyer annotations to everything.

Sure for everything you could go on,

"People steal money because they want money/goods"*

*Except in the cases of revenge, where they feel slighted, where the person deserves it, martyr, robin hood-ing, etc.

Overall though the point here is that, it's not the typical "MYSOGONY ERHMAGAHDS" reason that we've all heard, it's about sex.

Space Flight Awards

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:35 PM

Are we attempting to make legal arguments here? Rape is not unnatural, fine, but it is still illegal. Rape is not about dominance, fine, I can accept that, but that doesn't make it any less illegal or immoral. It's about sex, fine, that's cool, I can accept that also. Well, I can accept that on one premise: murder is not unnatural (excuse the double negative; "it is natural" would give a different impression) and is about killing someone; assault and battery are not unnatural and are about direct contact with someone; statutory rape is not unnatural and is about dominance; sexual assault is not unnatural and is about getting to touch or grope someone's privates (ew, cooties).

See what I'm getting at?

Point is, at law, you don't need a specific motive to commit a crime. You only require the motive to perform the non-mens rea elements of the crime. Whether it's about dominance or sex, it doesn't matter - the main thing is that you intended to perform the elements that constitute the crime.

And further, "rape" itself is strictly a legal concept. I wouldn't go so far as to devise a motive for any social or psychological aspects of it.

Last edited by Age of Ignorance; September 6th 2012 at 11:41 PM.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
L'Aviatrice Offline
Ex astris, scientia
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kelly

Points: 7,405, Level: 12 Points: 7,405, Level: 12 Points: 7,405, Level: 12

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:

*Except in the cases of revenge, where they feel slighted, where the person deserves it, martyr, robin hood-ing, etc.

Overall though the point here is that, it's not the typical "MYSOGONY ERHMAGAHDS" reason that we've all heard, it's about sex.
I think the reason, generally speaking, is greed and a sense of entitlement... greed towards sex, and an entitlement to have sex whenever, wherever, with whomever, with no regards for the well-being of their victim. This, mixed with psychological disorders, is the recipe for a rapist. Of course, as you said, there are outliers who have other motives.

L'Aviatrice
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:43 PM

If rape is about sex, then it would suggest there might be some basis in telling women not to dress a certain way because it would attract a potential rapist more than dressing conservatively would.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 6th 2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:

But are motivations of sex and misogyny mutually exclusive? I'm going to go with no. People can also steal for both revenge and personal financial gain. It's certainly possible to hate women while still enjoying the sensation of putting your penis in a vagina. For some rapists, the dominance aspect is what gets them off, and the sensation of having sex is icing on the cake. In others it might be the other way around.

I'd be interested in seeing if there are statistics available showing the different forms of rape that are reported, i.e. vaginal and/or anal. Because, while those are all grouped into the broad category of "rape," pregnancy and reproduction is obviously not going to be an expected outcome of anal sex, and that doesn't really lend any support for your theory.

Last edited by joeblow9999; September 6th 2012 at 11:51 PM.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 9th 2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile
Those sexual patterns mentioned before exist because take pedophilia and homosexuality, it's (from a genetic point of view), nonbenificial, you can't reproduce with a child, nor can you with a person of the same gender, so those factors have been bred out to a small segment of the population, as opposed to the men interested in pubescent and upwards girls who were able to reproduce.
Homosexuality can be evolutionary beneficial through kin selection. The best way to explain it is as follows: you're a heterosexual and suppose you have a homosexual brother. You're correct that the brother cannot reproduce, however, he is able to help you secure a mate and can help indirectly support the mother through her pregnancy.

I agree though, I don't see how pedophilia is genetically beneficial.

Quote:
Also interesting is that most rapes occur to women of childbearing age (80% being under the age of 30, and 9/10 of victims are women, and only 15% of rapes occurring to prepubescence individuals), even though they would be the most fit to resist. If rape were simply about dominance then it would be odd to choose victims so capable to fighting back.
There are a few key pieces of data you're either unaware of or intentionally not including. First, when women ovulate, there are observations that they tend to be more willing or flirty, have a "glow" and secrete a greater amount of pheromones, all of which entice. Second, women in that age group are more likely to have a desired waist-hip ratio than elderly women. Third, at the time of the rape, a large amount of the victims currently were or used to be in a relationship with the rapist, so there already is some ease of access. Fourth, the victims tend to be rather young and at that age, more reckless, sociable and impulsive. To me, it's a combination of want for sex and dominance, although whether it's 50/50 is up for debate.

Quote:
One must also consider the low percentage of violence in most rapes (of forcible rape, 84% didn't involve physical injury)
Of these, how many of the men were currently in a relationship with the victim? By relationship, I mean boyfriend, husband, friend or someone the female knows and maybe trusts. Point is, with familiarity, the female is more receptive and will not be as defensive. There is also the possibility for the relationship to have been rather abusive and the woman learned from unfortunate experiences that if she resists more, she will incur more damage, however, may still have love for him.

Quote:
Rape fantasies are also the most common human fantasy, over half of college aged women have rape fantasies.
This supports either view equally, however, again, the rape fantasies are presumably with someone they know and trust won't hurt them.

Overall, interesting debate.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Silmarwen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,917, Level: 12 Points: 6,917, Level: 12 Points: 6,917, Level: 12

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 10th 2012, 07:59 AM

I can agree that rape might have been natural at some point but it is and has to be one thing on a long list of natural things that we humans used to do but we've stopped doing now, but we stopped doing when our beloved intelligence came around. Sure, before we started making fires to cook our food, herding animals rather than hunting them and learned how to build our own shelters, then rape might have been an "okay" way to go about it, but I'm fairly certain we can all agree that we've moved along from this now, and that women have evolved a strong enough sense of self to be allowed to decide who should be allowed to put their seed in her one and only egg.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 11th 2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
I can agree that rape might have been natural at some point but it is and has to be one thing on a long list of natural things that we humans used to do but we've stopped doing now, but we stopped doing when our beloved intelligence came around.
Despite our beloved intelligence, I'm fairly certain rape still does occur.

Quote:
Sure, before we started making fires to cook our food, herding animals rather than hunting them and learned how to build our own shelters, then rape might have been an "okay" way to go about it, but I'm fairly certain we can all agree that we've moved along from this now, and that women have evolved a strong enough sense of self to be allowed to decide who should be allowed to put their seed in her one and only egg.
You have an incredibly poor understanding of evolution and biology. Women have more than one, "egg". Additionally, hundreds of thousands of years ago when humans marveled over learning to make fires, women were already deciding who they would like to mate with. It's not something that is new to women as you make it out to be.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Silmarwen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,917, Level: 12 Points: 6,917, Level: 12 Points: 6,917, Level: 12

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 11th 2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Despite our beloved intelligence, I'm fairly certain rape still does occur.

You have an incredibly poor understanding of evolution and biology. Women have more than one, "egg". Additionally, hundreds of thousands of years ago when humans marveled over learning to make fires, women were already deciding who they would like to mate with. It's not something that is new to women as you make it out to be.

Oh mighty, I obviously know that women have more than one egg through their lifetime, but as I was building on (possibly poorly) the argument made in the first post about the amount of extra work and and sacrifice a woman has to put into a pregnancy as opposed to a man (as we're only able to have one kid going for us at the time, and it takes nine months, and the fact that we have _one egg at the time, and then it bleeds out and we get a new one. Pretty much. Don't worry, I go through this enough to have at least a basic understanding of what I'm talking about (but of course I'm not a biologist))
I think you might have misunderstood the argument I was making; rape happened before, and I understand what it happened before and I'm more ... okay with it happening before. Of course it didn't happen for everyone and every single mating that happened wasn't a rape, but back then it was considered natural. I'm not okay with rape happening today. At all - but I'm very aware of its continued existence. We're in an intelligent society (believe it or not), and yes, rape does happen, but we should know and understand better than that by now : )
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 11th 2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Oh mighty, I obviously know that women have more than one egg through their lifetime, but as I was building on (possibly poorly) the argument made in the first post about the amount of extra work and and sacrifice a woman has to put into a pregnancy as opposed to a man (as we're only able to have one kid going for us at the time, and it takes nine months, and the fact that we have _one egg at the time, and then it bleeds out and we get a new one. Pretty much. Don't worry, I go through this enough to have at least a basic understanding of what I'm talking about (but of course I'm not a biologist))
I think you might have misunderstood the argument I was making; rape happened before, and I understand what it happened before and I'm more ... okay with it happening before. Of course it didn't happen for everyone and every single mating that happened wasn't a rape, but back then it was considered natural. I'm not okay with rape happening today. At all - but I'm very aware of its continued existence. We're in an intelligent society (believe it or not), and yes, rape does happen, but we should know and understand better than that by now : )
What about the fact that most men nowadays reproduce. But competition for mates, where the majority of people don't reproduce, builds a healthier human race?

Bring back rape and fighting for mates?

Space Flight Awards

(#24 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 12th 2012, 10:35 PM

Your first post actually makes sense. However I'd say that there isn't rape that's ONLY just for sex. Because if a guy really wants sex, that's what hookers are for.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Rape Is Natural - September 12th 2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Your first post actually makes sense. However I'd say that there isn't rape that's ONLY just for sex. Because if a guy really wants sex, that's what hookers are for.
I'd disagree there.

I myself am very averse to the idea of American hookers, they're a hotbed for STDs and drugs, I'd honestly be less worried for my personal health/safety in a rape then I would hiring a hooker.

Isn't that just sad? (Let's not start a war here on why we need to legalize prostitution though)

Space Flight Awards

Closed Thread