TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

N.Y. governor to introduce gay marriage bill - April 15th 2009, 05:09 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30217305/
Quote:
New York Gov. David Paterson said he plans to introduce legislation this week to legalize same-sex marriage, reviving a bill that died in 2007 and still faces strong opposition despite a new Democratic majority in the state Senate. Paterson, talking to reporters Tuesday in Hempstead, N.Y., said "there is clearly a problem" when gays and lesbians in civil unions are denied 1,200 to 1,350 civil protections such as health care and pension rights because they're not married. "The timing was always right. It's just who is willing to take that step, and I am," Paterson said. "I think it is, as other states are showing, the only ethical way to treat people who want to live together in peace under the civil law. So my general feeling about all these issues is the right ethical decision will inevitably be the right political decision." Gay marriage controversial In radio interviews last week Paterson said he believes it will eventually become law. But polls show legalizing gay marriage remains controversial in New York. And some gay marriage advocates are worried that bringing the issue up in New York before there's clear support to pass it could set back efforts to legalize it there, as well as in other states. In Vermont, lawmakers voted last week to override the governor's veto of a bill allowing same-sex couples to marry. The week before, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled that marriage couldn't be restricted to unions of a man and a woman. It's also legal in Massachusetts and Connecticut. California briefly allowed gay marriage last year until a voter initiative in November repealed it. Assemblyman Daniel O'Donnell, a Manhattan Democrat, said he will attend Thursday's announcement and sponsor the governor's bill, which will be identical to the one backed by then Gov. Eliot Spitzer as a civil-rights measure when it passed the Assembly 85-61 two years ago. "I'm hoping to do better than that this time," O'Donnell said Tuesday. "I'm very happy the governor has made this a priority," O'Donnell said. "When we got the bill from Governor Spitzer in 2007, we didn't have the votes either. I did that in 2007 and I intend to do that again in 2009." The Democrat-controlled Assembly passed the bill with three Republicans voting in favor, as well as some Democrats who faced criticism in their upstate districts for their support. It died in the Senate, where the Republican majority kept it from going to a vote. Not enough votes? Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith supports the measure but still doesn't believe there are enough votes to pass it, spokesman Austin Shafran said. The Democrats have a 32-30 majority. Mark Hansen, spokesman for the Senate Republicans, said Tuesday that, "Our conference is opposed to gay marriage and that has not changed." A Quinnipiac University poll last week showed 41 percent of New York voters support same-sex marriage, up from 35 percent almost two years earlier, while one-third said gay couples should be allowed to form civil unions but not marry, and 19 percent said there should be no legal recognition.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: N.Y. governor to introduce gay marriage bill - April 15th 2009, 05:12 AM

omg, I really hope he can get that bill passed. I'm so tired of the controversy of gay marriage. JUST LET THEM FUCKING LOVE WHO THEY WANT. They deserve things like healthcare, etc as much as anyone else and the fact that the only thing standing between them and that is a damned paper saying they're lawfully married annoys me to no end.

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: N.Y. governor to introduce gay marriage bill - April 15th 2009, 06:00 PM

It seems unlikely right now, but I suppose we can try to be optimistic about it. I'd like to see another state get this passed.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: N.Y. governor to introduce gay marriage bill - April 15th 2009, 06:08 PM

In politics nothing happens until it's actually happened

(#5 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: N.Y. governor to introduce gay marriage bill - April 15th 2009, 06:49 PM

I'm currently writing a paper on legalizing gay marriage and on doing research I found the case that reversed the bans on interracial marriages back in the 60s. After reading this case and seeing the reasons that the Supreme Court used to get the bans reversed, I can't understand how it is possible that gay marriage isn't legal. Loving v. Virginia ruled that because the 14th amendment gave every American citizens the right to basic human rights and that marriage was found to be a basic human right that the states couldn't prevent an interracial couple from marrying. Considering this I don't see how gay marriage is even an issue. It's absolutely no different than interracial marriage in that pretty much the same reasons given against interracial marriage are the ones used against gay marriage, including religion.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

Closed Thread