TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 16th 2009, 02:45 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._a_homema.html A 9-year-old wrestling fan jumped off his Brooklyn apartment roof wearing a homemade parachute in a fatal imitation of his favorite video game character, friends said. The broken body of Damori Miles was found on the ground outside the Albany Houses about 7 p.m. Tuesday. Wrapped around his body was the string and plastic bag he used for the parachute, police sources said. The boy died at Interfaith Medical Center an hour later. "It's terrible. The kids try to imitate what they see and they think they can fly," said family friend Sumore Murrel, 29. The third-grader was supposed to have a Tuesday night play date with Murrel 's two children, Shakar, 11, and Kevin, 9, but never showed. "His older sister came knocking on the door looking for him at 7:30. She had no idea he was dead. None of us did," Murrel said. It turned out the boy, who received special education instruction, had left his 10th floor apartment and walked up to the Crown Heights building's roof. Shakar, Damori's best friend, said his pal was imitating his favorite PlayStation2 game, " WWE SmackDown vs Raw." "He tried to do a swan dive like Jeff Harding does in 'SmackDown.' That was his favorite game. He played it all the time," Shakar said. "That was what he was trying to do. If I would have seen him up there, I would have told him not to do it." The roof door was open Wednesday morning, and the alarm that should have gone off was broken, neighbors said. "I was sitting inside and I heard a thump. I looked out my window and saw the boy on the ground. He was on his back and his clothes were ripped off," said Chiquita Jones , 25. "The door to the roof should have been locked. Damori didn't have to die." Damori's mother told detectives she went to the store and returned to find her son on the ground, police sources said. The tragedy prompted Murrel to rethink whether her kids can play the wrestling games. "I need to keep a better eye on what they are playing or watching. Kids are so impressionable," she said. Robert Zimmerman , a spokesman for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), said the video was designed for ages 13 and up and none of the characters use parachutes or jump off buildings. "The death of Damori Miles is a tragedy and our condolences go out to his family," he said. "We should allow the authorities to conduct a full investigation... including insecure roof access, before conclusions are made about this unfortunate incident."

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 16th 2009, 02:52 PM

+1 for Darwin's Law

Why on earth was nobody home though? Do parents never get tired of blaming video games/music/tv/anything instead of themselves

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 16th 2009, 03:00 PM

that's so sad. but serriously, a nine year old kid left at home wihtout either parent there?

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 16th 2009, 03:02 PM

Wwe is not responsible for parents mistake.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 16th 2009, 03:17 PM

Another esxample of poor parenting skills. Kids are very impressionable, but parents are supposed to be there to advise against jumping out of windows with home-made parachutes.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 16th 2009, 03:20 PM

Could have been worse: could have been in the news for months like Madeline McCann (which seemed to get more coverage than 9/11 :/)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 16th 2009, 03:31 PM

Here's a video of what the move looks like http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tzirxk2...en&warned=True

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 16th 2009, 04:20 PM

That's so sad. He shouldn't have been left alone though. I feel for the family.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 02:58 AM

I wonder where the boy got the idea a plastic bag would soften the landing.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 03:01 AM

I think this is horrible. Someone should have been watching him.

--A

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
I wonder where the boy got the idea a plastic bag would soften the landing.
From physics

The plastic bag provides a source of friction between your body and the floor, this causes a longer deceleration time which reduces the force softening the landing.

Although, in this case, it will be mathematically insignificant

Last edited by Hyper Sonic; April 17th 2009 at 03:21 AM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 03:21 AM

this is so sad. ):

(#13 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
+1 for Darwin's Law

Why on earth was nobody home though? Do parents never get tired of blaming video games/music/tv/anything instead of themselves
*snicker* God dammit Lee. I started feeling all sad and you RUINED IT.

Haha.

Seriously though, there are disclaimers all over wresting shows and wrestling games that say "DON'T DO THIS, IDIOT!" and "PARENTAL DISCRETION ADVISED!"

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
He tried to do a swan dive like Jeff Harding does in 'SmackDown'
First, it's Jeff Hardy not Harding. If they cant properly report the name of one of the most popular current wrestlers, especially if the kid was imitating him, I don't think it's even worth reading the article.

Second, WWE isn't to blame. They specifically have ads of wrestlers saying "Don't do this". If the parents cannot watch the kids, then all of this rests on the parents' shoulders. However, Jeff Hardy uses no parachute, so why this kid was if he was so determined to imitate Hardy is beyond me.

I know the kid may have been young, however, it doesn't take a lot of brain power to figure out that jumping from a building onto the hard concrete or asphalt is going to lead to more or less a mess.

I'm not sure if I should say stupid kid and stupid parents or only one of them.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 09:45 PM

Video games are obviously the culprit.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 10:22 PM

Kids need to leave the action to the pros.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Kel Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Dithering Dills

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 17th 2009, 11:33 PM

And this is why I think people should get a license in order to become parents.

Unbelievable.
First of all, who allowed him to play that video game? And knowing that he was in special education meaning that he doesn't function mentally as a normal 9 year old would?? My gosh.Kids repeat everything they see, their brains are like sponges. They soak it all up. It's common sense that you need to restrict what your child watches.

Second of all, I wasn't even allowed to be left home alone until I was 13. So why are parents leaving mentally disabled 9 year olds home by themselves?

Never should have happened.

"we make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
--winston churchill

(#18 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 19th 2009, 12:59 AM

wasn't he under special education instruction? (isn't that what it says in the article).. which means he is most likely mentally impaired. I imagine this had more to do with the 9 year old thinking he could fly than a wrestling game/video, or at least contributed to it. not a lot of 9 year old think they can fly after watching a game/video or whatever. not a lot of 9 year olds get left alone in an apartment with windows open either though.

i dont like how this story seems to be written in such a way that implies the journalists views are the video games fault, when really a huge number of factors were in there.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 19th 2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah View Post
wasn't he under special education instruction? (isn't that what it says in the article).. which means he is most likely mentally impaired. I imagine this had more to do with the 9 year old thinking he could fly than a wrestling game/video, or at least contributed to it. not a lot of 9 year old think they can fly after watching a game/video or whatever. not a lot of 9 year olds get left alone in an apartment with windows open either though.

i dont like how this story seems to be written in such a way that implies the journalists views are the video games fault, when really a huge number of factors were in there.
I agree, it does seem to be written in a way to spin it to pin the blame on the video games. After all, blaming it all on the fault of the dead 9 year old being mentally retarded doesn't sell as much as pulling out the classic, still-supported-and-not-beaten-to-death card of it being the fault of the video games. It is biased to the video games but that's what sells.

I put more blame on the kid himself and the parents for purchasing the game for him when they knew a) he was probably too young to watch it and b) he's not as able to differentiate between him, the mentally retarded, weak and frail 9 year old versus the trained performer who is much stronger and much more mentally capable person.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 21st 2009, 02:35 AM

I guess his hero gave him a leap of faith?

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 21st 2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
I guess his hero gave him a leap of faith?
LOL, haha, I guess he did.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 9-year-old Damori Miles dies in jump off Brooklyn apartment - April 21st 2009, 03:33 AM

lol I think I got the kids idea of high places Jeff hardy aparently jumped off the props that hold the big screen tv and performed the swanton bomb. Must have been 15 fet high but that's just a guess not counting his stunts off steel cages.

Closed Thread