TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 04:56 PM

Link

Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments, even if they may have cost her the Miss USA crown.

Carrie Prejean defended her views Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show, telling host Matt Lauer that she spoke from the heart during Sunday's pageant when she said that "marriage should be between a man and a woman."

The beauty queen's response to a question from openly gay pageant judge and celebrity blogger Perez Hilton has received more attention than the winner, Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton. During the pageant, Hilton asked Prejean if every state should follow Vermont in legalizing same sex marriage.

"I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other," Prejean responded. "But in my country, and in my family, I think that I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."
Hilton, who also appeared on the "Today" show Tuesday, said his question was relevant and that Prejean should have "left her politics and her religion out because Miss USA represents all Americans."

Prejean, who was named first runner-up at the pageant, told Lauer that she knew "at that moment after I'd answered the question, I knew that I was not going to win because of my answer." Still, she stands by her statements.

"I don't take back what I said," she told Lauer, adding that she "had spoken from my heart, from my beliefs and for my God."
"It's not about being politically correct," she said. "For me, it's about being biblically correct."


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Name: Jamie
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Europe

Posts: 599
Blog Entries: 20
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 05:29 PM

Although I find her anti-gay views horrible, outdaded and misguided....in the end, people are entitled to their own opinions. I do hope the whole incident will show people that homophobic attitudes are wrong, however.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Pandamonium's Avatar
 
Name: Steph
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 1,613
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 06:02 PM

I agree with what Jamie said and I'll give her kudos for sticking to what she believes in. But at the same time, I hope she is eventually willing to look around her and consider other viewpoints and ideas.

I do agree with Perez Hilton on this though, she should of phrased her answer differently than she did. I don't think she needed to deny her beliefs, she should've just acknowledged all sides.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
LetsRock Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
LetsRock's Avatar
 
Name: Hanna
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 122
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 06:19 PM

even though I think gays should be aloud to marry I think everyone has a right for their own opinion.

But I also agree with Perez, its not that she's against gay marrige thats bad, its just the way she phrased her answer that wasnt suitable for the miss america show.


But when the night is falling
And you cannot find the light
If you feel your dream is dying
Hold tight
You've got the music in you
Don't let go
You've got the music in you
One dance left
This world is gonna pull through
Don't give up
You've got a reason to live
Can't forget you only get what you give
The New Radicals - You Get What You Give


   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
wanderlust's Avatar
 
Gender: Female

Posts: 230
Blog Entries: 18
Join Date: March 27th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 06:20 PM

She's allowed to think what she wants. She couldve easily caved to pressure to be politically correct. I suppose not everyone will always agree on everything!


A single thread in a tapestry
Through its color brightly shine
Can never see its purpose
In the pattern of the grand design
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Kryptonite's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male

Posts: 541
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 06:34 PM

I saw the press. Even though I disagree with her, I think it was right of her to stand by it and not back out after the pageant.


Alex
[Click to PM me.]


"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3




   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 07:27 PM

good for her for saying what she thinks. she shouldn't feel obligated to say something just because that's what people want to hear. who cares if she should be representing all americans, if that's what she thinks, she should stand by it.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Oiseau the Little Bird!'s Avatar
 
Name: Bernadette
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 457
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 13th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 07:33 PM

Yep, she stood her ground and gave an honest answer. I'm pretty impressed, actually, that she was so honest. Even though not everyone agrees, it's still a pretty strong thing to do.


Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.


  Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 09:14 PM

I think it's good that she was honest. But she should have worded it better.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
VanishingActs Offline
~kiss it better~
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
VanishingActs's Avatar
 
Name: Vicki
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 521
Blog Entries: 7
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 10:20 PM

Good for her, she was entitled to her opinion and she stuck to it. I don't think she's right but it's good she didn't back down about her beliefs.




Live on love.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
sushi_error's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 443
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 10:22 PM

I think she could have articulated her view better. Although, I disagree with her statement, she is entitled to her opinion. I really dislike the hatred that is being spewed by Perez Hilton.


Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 736
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 11:11 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with what she said. She was respectful about it, not being hateful. Regarding the fact that she's supposed to be respresenting all Americans, does Perez Hilton realize that his president also doesn't believe in gay marriage? I don't think anyone can represent your country more than the president, so he shouldn't say Miss California wasn't representing Americans.


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 11:20 PM

I hate the excuse, "It's how I was raised." If everyone kept with the same beliefs they were raised with, we'd all still be living in the Dark Ages.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and everyone is entitled to freedom of speech. I just disagree with her. It's discrimination to not allow same-sex couples to wed. They're not hurting anyone by getting married. And I would have expected Miss California, who is representing her state and her country, to show a little more tolerance and understanding. California is supposed to be liberal dang it!


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 11:23 PM

Well, she's entitled to her opinion.

Not like her opinion matters to anyone, anyway....
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough
*********
 
udontno's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda Kate
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: VA, USA

Posts: 3,039
Blog Entries: 24
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 22nd 2009, 11:54 PM

I'm glad she's standing by her views. I'd be one to say that she might have ought to had been crowned for having the guts to say that in her situation. I can only imagine the fib that some folks would say.


--A
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
asphyxiated's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 201
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: January 19th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 12:09 AM

I thought that she gave a very poorly worded answer. She could have answered negatively without insulting anyone, but seeing that the pageant director, her training coach, and 2 of the judges are all openly gay, maybe it would have been better to just keep her mouth shut.




   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,124
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
good for her for saying what she thinks. she shouldn't feel obligated to say something just because that's what people want to hear. who cares if she should be representing all americans, if that's what she thinks, she should stand by it.

I agree. Those are her views, people have to accept it.


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while
********
 
Heretic's Avatar
 
Name: [060191.1723]
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: 43.337557, -89.638498

Posts: 1,695
Blog Entries: 9
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Although I find her anti-gay views horrible, outdaded and misguided....in the end, people are entitled to their own opinions. I do hope the whole incident will show people that homophobic attitudes are wrong, however.
Basically what you said. Homophobia is such a horrible thing, and people use excuses like religion and tradition to defend it, when the arguments for either are flimsy at best.


Ethos
Pathos
Logos

050516.0029
  Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,124
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
Basically what you said. Homophobia is such a horrible thing, and people use excuses like religion and tradition to defend it, when the arguments for either are flimsy at best.
I don't see what you're trying to say. I didn't view it like this.


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Khadra's Avatar
 
Name: Kathlene
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 736
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 12:56 AM

You guys she wasn't being homophobic. She was completely respectful. She disagrees with same-sex MARRIAGE. She didn't say she hates gay people or that she thinks they are disgusting.


It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)


Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 01:11 AM

I have to agree with Casey. If those are her views she should shut up about them and not make them public. I know people will say "but omg free speech" which is silly as there is no such thing, everyone pays for everything they say. You have to take responsibility for your views, beliefs and for what you say rather than just saying "but it's my personal view" which isn't even an excuse. If you wish to be an ignorant dinosaur then you should accept the consequences of that or take it upon yourself to educate yourself and change your opinion. Sticking to stupid, discriminatory and misguided opinions is not something to be encouraged or approved of really, I hope I didn't just indirectly insult anyone there. Then again, the Miss [insert state/country here]'s aren't known for their intelligence.

But if you disaree with me I'll say it's my opinion and it's how I was raised.

Last edited by Jack; April 23rd 2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Typo
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
sushi_error's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 443
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I have to agree with Casey. If those are her views she should shut up about them and not make them public. I know people will say "but omg free speech" which is silly as there is no such thing, everyone pays for everything they say. You have to take responsibility for your views, beliefs and for what you say rather than just saying "but it's my personal view" which isn't even an excuse. If you wish to be an ignorant dinosaur then you should accept the consequences of that or take it upon yourself to educate yourself and change your opinion. Sticking to stupid, discriminatory and misguided opinions is not something to be encouraged or approved of really, I hope I didn't just indirectly insult anyone there. Then again, the Miss [insert state/country here]'s aren't known for their intelligence.

But if you disaree with me I'll say it's my opinion and it's how I was raised.
She doesn't have to "shut up about them and not make them public" as she was ASKED the question. What did people expect her to do? If she chose not to answer the question, it would have looked even worst on her part. And it IS her personal view, whether or not people agree with her. I agree that the way she worded her opinion made her look like an ignorant and uneducated individual in various ways. And your last statement...I don't think that is neccessary as it does sound a little ignorant.


Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_error View Post
She doesn't have to "shut up about them and not make them public" as she was ASKED the question. What did people expect her to do? If she chose not to answer the question, it would have looked even worst on her part. And it IS her personal view, whether or not people agree with her. I agree that the way she worded her opinion made her look like an ignorant and uneducated individual in various ways.
I agree with your first point, I hadn't really considered that. Though supposing she was asked about black people and she had said something like "no I think they shouldn't be allowed to marry who they choose because they're sub-human", would everyone be this understanding? Just because you're asked a question does not mean you should be able to escape the consequences of your answer simply because it's an opinion. However I still do not agree that sticking to discriminatory personal views should be condoned and applauded.

Quote:
And your last statement...I don't think that is neccessary as it does sound a little ignorant.
Which statement? The one about the intelligence of Miss X's? Or the one about opinions and being raised etc?

If the former then that's not ignorant because I can provide evidence and clear reasons to back it up. Just look at Miss Teen South Carolina and numerous other examples. Or are they known for their intelligence?

If the latter then that's because I was parroting what she said.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
sushi_error's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 443
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I agree with your first point, I hadn't really considered that. Though supposing she was asked about black people and she had said something like "no I think they shouldn't be allowed to marry who they choose because they're sub-human", would everyone be this understanding? Just because you're asked a question does not mean you should be able to escape the consequences of your answer simply because it's an opinion. However I still do not agree that sticking to discriminatory personal views should be condoned and applauded.



Which statement? The one about the intelligence of Miss X's? Or the one about opinions and being raised etc?

If the former then that's not ignorant because I can provide evidence and clear reasons to back it up. Just look at Miss Teen South Carolina and numerous other examples. Or are they known for their intelligence?

If the latter then that's because I was parroting what she said.
I was referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Then again, the Miss [insert state/country here]'s aren't known for their intelligence.
I just think that it's ignorant to paint stereotypes on a single state, because of what one individual thinks/says.

How is she "escaping" the consequences? Is there an article? I admit I have not look into this too much, but here is what she said:
Quote:
"I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage and, you know what, in my country and my family I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anyone out there but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be between a man and a woman."
Again, the way she worded her answer definitely irks me. I dislike how she is using 'opposite marriage' to define gay marriage. However, she does clearly mention that she thinks it's great that America is a free country where individuals are able to choose.


Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while
********
 
Hdjdjdjduvieg's Avatar
 
Name: no

Posts: 1,127
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 04:32 AM

Seriously, who cares. If she believes in traditional marriage, there's nothing wrong with that. It's such a stupid thing to make a huge deal about. What does her opinion matter to anyone anyways?


I love the name of honour more than I fear death.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough
*********
 
BrittneyNicole's Avatar
 
Name: Brittney
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,040
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 04:50 AM

Although I disagree with her views completely, I admire her for being strong enough to stand by her own views and thoughts. It's a hard thing to do, when others don't agree and you think someone might hate you for it.


"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

  Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_error View Post
I just think that it's ignorant to paint stereotypes on a single state, because of what one individual thinks/says.
Well that's lucky because I never said anything of the sort. I said that Miss [insert name of country/state here]'s are more picked for their beauty than for their brains. Which isn't so much a stereotype as an easily observable fact.

Quote:
How is she "escaping" the consequences? Is there an article? I admit I have not look into this too much, but here is what she said:
Because people are lauding her for not backing down, hence she is (mostly) escaping the criticisms and dislike of the people who disagree with her merely because she is more stubborn than others.

Quote:
Again, the way she worded her answer definitely irks me. I dislike how she is using 'opposite marriage' to define gay marriage. However, she does clearly mention that she thinks it's great that America is a free country where individuals are able to choose.
Yes, but saying "I'm glad they have a right to choose in this country" and then saying "but I wish they didn't have that right to choose in our country" is a complete paradox. Her second statement makes the first irrelevant and makes it seem like just so much patriotic spiel. You can't both thing it's great you can choose in your country and think that you shouldn't be allowed to choose in yoiur country.

Last edited by Jack; April 23rd 2009 at 02:29 PM.
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 02:25 PM

I hope the lady sues because of her free speech.


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
sushi_error's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 443
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Well that's lucky because I never said anything of the sort.



Because people are lauding her for not backing down, hence she is (mostly) escaping the criticisms and dislike of the people who disagree with her merely because she is more stubborn than others.
You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Then again, the Miss [insert state/country here]'s aren't known for their intelligence
Maybe, I misinterpreted wrong, but I got the feeling you were taking an unnecessary shot.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Yes, but saying "I'm glad they have a right to choose in this country" and then saying "but I wish they didn't have that right to choose in our country" is a complete paradox. Her second statement makes the first irrelevant and makes it seem like just so much patriotic spiel. You can't both thing it's great you can choose in your country and think that you shouldn't be allowed to choose in yoiur country.
I don't get that sentiment when I read her entire speech. She does say she thinks its great people are allowed to choose, but in her OWN opinion, she believes that gay marriage should not be legalized.


Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_error View Post
Maybe, I misinterpreted wrong, but I got the feeling you were taking an unnecessary shot.
I edited my above post as you posted yours. Does it make things clearer? Definitely not mentioning anything about the states in general.

Quote:
I don't get that sentiment when I read her entire speech. She does say she thinks its great people are allowed to choose, but in her OWN opinion, she believes that gay marriage should not be legalized.
Then she doesn't think it's great that people are allowed to choose does she?

All of the statement is her own opinion, so in her opinion it is both good and bad that Americans are allowed to choose and personally that she wishes they couldn't have that choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
I hope the lady sues because of her free speech.
She can't. Who would she sue and for what?

Last edited by Jack; April 23rd 2009 at 02:48 PM.
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
lost_chil's Avatar
 
Name: Alice
Age: 26
Gender: MtF Pre-op, and will be for a long time.
Location: NS, Canada.

Posts: 368
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 02:50 PM

Well they did ask her... And they wanted an honest answer... I honestly dont agree that she was booted off because of her PERSONAL opinion... Even tho it did pobably hurt alot of people, even me... But if they didn't want to hear it they should not have asked it... Honestly, i dont think it was a fair question, mainly because it is suck a sensitive subject and many people hae there own opinions... But i can respect her that she is standing by what she said, even tho i dont like it, its free speech and we are all entitled to an opinion... No matter how other people think of it... But yes, i was furious when i was watching... But thats just my opinion... If they didn't want that answer, they shoudl not have asked such a personal, touchy question... Thats just my opinion anyways... EVeryone is entitled to their own and the fact she is standing by it, shows alot of courage, even if its not what alot of people wanted to hear...











We May Be Miles Apart. But Your Always Closer To The Moon. And Brighter Than The Stars

PM me anytime! =D
  Send a message via MSN to lost_chil Send a message via Skype™ to lost_chil 
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 02:58 PM

Who cares?
She's not the only one out there who is against same sex marriage, people don't need to attack her like she is. It's not as if she admitted to hating homosexual people. If she would have said "Yay for same sex marriage!" Not nearly as many people would even care. I'm not against same sex marriages, but I can see where she is coming from, sticking to her religion. If that's what she believes, I'm glad she stuck to it, good for her.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Magic.'s Avatar
 
Name: Poppy
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 1,441
Join Date: January 16th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
"I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other," Prejean responded. "But in my country, and in my family, I think that I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."
Hilton, who also appeared on the "Today" show Tuesday, said his question was relevant and that Prejean should have "left her politics and her religion out because Miss USA represents all Americans."
She did say it was great they could choose, but that's just not her belief. I don't see anything wrong with that; from that I get that she does respect the views of other Americans, but that she also has personal beliefs.
At least she didn't fake her answer just to please people, she was willing to say something she believes in.


You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
lost_chil's Avatar
 
Name: Alice
Age: 26
Gender: MtF Pre-op, and will be for a long time.
Location: NS, Canada.

Posts: 368
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Girl View Post
Who cares?
She's not the only one out there who is against same sex marriage, people don't need to attack her like she is. It's not as if she admitted to hating homosexual people. If she would have said "Yay for same sex marriage!" Not nearly as many people would even care. I'm not against same sex marriages, but I can see where she is coming from, sticking to her religion. If that's what she believes, I'm glad she stuck to it, good for her.
I was actually suprised when i hear she stuck to it, but i agree! Its a personal opinion and its good that she is sticking with her OWN opinion not caring who dis agrees. I frankly do, but again, i can kinda see where she is comning from (I hate having two opinions on somthing!) anyways ian glad she stuck with her answer, it shows alot of courage that alot of people dont have, i can kinda respect her knowing she stuck with what she said.











We May Be Miles Apart. But Your Always Closer To The Moon. And Brighter Than The Stars

PM me anytime! =D
  Send a message via MSN to lost_chil Send a message via Skype™ to lost_chil 
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
and_he_is Offline
Habla conmigo!!
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
and_he_is's Avatar
 
Name: Robbie
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: Anywhere but here...

Posts: 40
Join Date: March 30th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 10:24 PM

I'm glad that she stands by her opinon...but it's WRONG.

Equality for all!!
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 11:48 PM

The problem I have with it, is if you watch it, she skids around the question, which is annoying. Not directly answering the question. Which, kind of makes me mad. If you don't have an opinion, then like don't say anything.

Though she is entitled to her opinion. It sucks that people are still so close minded.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,668
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 23rd 2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
"I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other," Prejean responded. "But in my country, and in my family, I think that I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."
Hilton, who also appeared on the "Today" show Tuesday, said his question was relevant and that Prejean should have "left her politics and her religion out because Miss USA represents all Americans."
Ok here's why she should have not have stood by this answer. Not because it's against gay marriage but because it was so horribly worded that no one with a brain would stand by it. I mean first she says that "it's great that Americans get to choose one or the other", what does that mean one or the other. Then she goes on to say "in my country" that sounds to me like she's from another country not America. Then she says "I think that I believe" well it seems to me she wasn't really standing behind what she was saying when she said it. I mean yeah she's wrong about gay marriage but that was worded so horribly who even cares about what she was trying to say, she probably didn't win because she sounded like an idiot.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
eunoia's Avatar
 
Name: Jes
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 5,888
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 24th 2009, 12:22 AM

Eh. I could say "good for her for being honest" or "omg how ignorant."

What really gets me, though, is that she's like "I believe this because mommy and daddy do." So, you know what? No kudos for stating her own opinion. She doesn't even have her own opinion. She told America what her parents believe and what the church has told her. If this was HER opinion, formed based on HER life and experiences, then congrats may have been in order. Shame on her for not thinking for herself.



Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough
*********
 
Acheron's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Laying traps for troubadours

Posts: 2,096
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 24th 2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and everyone is entitled to freedom of speech. I just disagree with her. It's discrimination to not allow same-sex couples to wed. They're not hurting anyone by getting married. And I would have expected Miss California, who is representing her state and her country, to show a little more tolerance and understanding. California is supposed to be liberal dang it!
See, she's actually representing her state, or at least a majority of Californian voters, very well. Remember Proposition 8?
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Miss California says she stands by her anti-gay-marriage comments. - April 25th 2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
See, she's actually representing her state, or at least a majority of Californian voters, very well. Remember Proposition 8?
Gr...I remember it only too well. What is happening to our free spirit hippie state? Are we turning conservative?


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Last edited by Lorelei; April 25th 2009 at 04:16 AM.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
antigaymarriage, california, comments, miss, stands

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.