TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16

Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 13th 2013, 09:53 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

[Source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/13/us/col...hool-shooting/ ]

Quote:
"The shooter entered Arapahoe High School carrying a shotgun and made no attempt to hide it, Sheriff Grayson Robinson said. He then asked other students the whereabouts of a faculty member."
This ended a lot better then the Newtown shooting nearly a year ago (24 hrs off from the anniversary)

The only person confirmed dead is the shooter himself from reported "Self-inflicted." While another Student (Who's info was not release due to being a Minor.) was transported to a hospital for ballistic injuries he received.

I am one of the biggest 'gun guys' and NRA supporters I know, I love Firearms, I believe in the Second amendment. But something serisouly has to change in our culture. With the way we handle things. The way we deal with Mental Health, domestics, etc.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Points: 7,886, Level: 13 Points: 7,886, Level: 13 Points: 7,886, Level: 13

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 13th 2013, 10:27 PM

According to the FCC:
Violence = Okay
Sexual suggestions = OMG CENSORSHIP OVERLOAD

We live in a violence-loving country. What did you expect?

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 02:59 AM

The press conference came on in the car, and the first thing that I noticed was that it happened right before Sandy Hook's Anniversary. And I think it was a few miles away from Columbine.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 03:19 AM

Yeah, it was really close to Columbine. I heard four miles once and then eight miles another time. It was by Aurora where that theater was, too.

Such a shame that this keeps happening. :/

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 03:23 AM

Yeah, it is. Did you notice how many happen in Colorado, specifically? I heard that higher altitude increases depression. I heard six miles the first time, and eight the second. They just gave the name of the shooter.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Cool as a cow
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ally

Points: 6,424, Level: 11 Points: 6,424, Level: 11 Points: 6,424, Level: 11

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 03:49 AM

This scares me how it could have been my school. My school is in CO as well and it has really poor security.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 01:59 PM

People are gonna do what they want to do. I'm anti gun and I know people want to protect themselves from burglars and shit, but people having double digit numbers of guns just doesn't make sense to me.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick. View Post
but people having double digit numbers of guns just doesn't make sense to me.
People owning multiple guns aren't the problem though. (Unless the problem is starting a revolution.) Lots of times on the youtube videos of People having Machine gun shoots are the most law abiding citizens around, because of all the paperwork, background checks that a Citizen has to go through to own a Class III firearm (No just going to a store and buying it, have to go through ATF to get license first.)

I have never proposed that we should put piles of AKs and ARs on the street corners for people to own without any sort of background checks etc., I am all for gun ownership and background checks.

However, I think its time to start putting resource officers back in school, at least where I went to school, there was either a Village LEO or State LEO in every school (Or at least school district where School buildings where in the same vicinity as a campus)

There was an incident that a LEO was told not to drop his kid off in uniform because Parents where alarmed that "There was a man with a gun at the school!" (Source: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3074487/posts )

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 06:23 PM

I definitely agree with what a few people said above, there should be at least a few armed, trained security guards at middle and high schools. Even though there are already some schools with an armed (single) resource officer, one person can't prevent everything. Here's a short film I thought would add onto this topic. (definitely not for the squeamish) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZUFsAbnMbA

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 07:54 PM

Putting armed people to patrol in high schools is an absolutely terrifying thought and one I would vocally oppose to no end.

I say it in every thread about guns. We had a school shooting in 1996. We changed the law. There have been no more school shootings.

I'm as anti-gun as they come.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Putting armed people to patrol in high schools is an absolutely terrifying thought and one I would vocally oppose to no end.

I say it in every thread about guns. We had a school shooting in 1996. We changed the law. There have been no more school shootings.

I'm as anti-gun as they come.
No one has said let's have a fully outfitted SWAT team defending the school, there would be nothing wrong with either having a Resource Officer (Or Off-Duty LEO on uniform), or even having a security team who are given the proper training.

Our President gets the best security force in the world, his Daughters also receive this at their school.

Our Courts, State, County, and Federal buildings have armed security.

Our Hospitals have security.

I spend extra money for my Daughters to go to a Private School that offers Security. And we're not talking rent-a-cop Mall Security. Why? Because I know I will never have to turn the radio on and hear that my Daughters' school is under attack and have to wait hours wondering if my Daughters are going to be walking out, or carried out.

As a Man who has been in combat, I hope to god that my Daughters' unless they choose to join the Service, will never have to fear for their life because a 'bad guy with a gun' decided he needs to go let his rage out.

Studies show that "gun-control" will not decrease violent crime or gun-related murders.
(Source: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/b...ence-with-ban/ )

In a active shooter situation, you have a choice, be a victim or protect yourself.

I would rather only need 1 body bag for the Shooter then 14 body bags for the victims plus the shooter.

However, the road to preventing more school shootings can't be reactive, we have to start being pro-active, that doesn't just mean banning a tool used in these situations, but the person holding the gun.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 14th 2013, 11:33 PM

The doors at my school can only be locked from the outside. That means the teachers will have to walk out into the hall and lock their doors while being completely exposed, instead of just having to expose their arms in order to pull the door shut and then lock it from the other side. It is small flaws like these that contribute to more deaths in school shootings than any other factor.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 15th 2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrieUSMC View Post

No one has said let's have a fully outfitted SWAT team defending the school, there would be nothing wrong with either having a Resource Officer (Or Off-Duty LEO on uniform), or even having a security team who are given the proper training.

Our President gets the best security force in the world, his Daughters also receive this at their school.

Our Courts, State, County, and Federal buildings have armed security.

Our Hospitals have security.

I spend extra money for my Daughters to go to a Private School that offers Security. And we're not talking rent-a-cop Mall Security. Why? Because I know I will never have to turn the radio on and hear that my Daughters' school is under attack and have to wait hours wondering if my Daughters are going to be walking out, or carried out.

As a Man who has been in combat, I hope to god that my Daughters' unless they choose to join the Service, will never have to fear for their life because a 'bad guy with a gun' decided he needs to go let his rage out.

Studies show that "gun-control" will not decrease violent crime or gun-related murders.
(Source: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/b...ence-with-ban/ )

In a active shooter situation, you have a choice, be a victim or protect yourself.

I would rather only need 1 body bag for the Shooter then 14 body bags for the victims plus the shooter.

However, the road to preventing more school shootings can't be reactive, we have to start being pro-active, that doesn't just mean banning a tool used in these situations, but the person holding the gun.
I think there'd be a lot wrong with having an armed person inside a school.

None of our courts, state/council buildings, hospitals have armed security. Our private schools don't and our state schools don't.

I don't think the ideal situation is to have a shootout inside a school if someone entered one with a gun. That sounds like it has the potential to be ten times worse than these situations already are.

I've Googled "does gun control help gun crime" and plenty of articles pop up contradicting your source. People are gonna pick the studies they want to further their case. I know my country, I know our gun laws, and I know how often I've heard of school shootings coming out of America than out of here.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 15th 2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post

I think there'd be a lot wrong with having an armed person inside a school.

None of our courts, state/council buildings, hospitals have armed security. Our private schools don't and our state schools don't.

I don't think the ideal situation is to have a shootout inside a school if someone entered one with a gun. That sounds like it has the potential to be ten times worse than these situations already are.

I've Googled "does gun control help gun crime" and plenty of articles pop up contradicting your source. People are gonna pick the studies they want to further their case. I know my country, I know our gun laws, and I know how often I've heard of school shootings coming out of America than out of here.
Would you rather have a shootout inside a school between a good guy with a gun vs a bad guy with a gun, or a bad guy with a gun having his free reign?

There is nothing wrong with having an armed trained Law Enforcement Officer, security, or even a Concealed carry license inside a school. Why? Because they are trained to have the weapon.

You say that with banning weapons in the United Kingdom, you don't have to worry about shootings, sure we'll go with that. You have a incredible lower murder rate with firearms then the United States.

But, how many of those Firearm deaths in the United States are from Law Abiding Citizens? Through purchased legal guns?

When I worked EMS in a city, (Not New York City, just a random city in New York State.) A Kid was arrested for having a fire arm, and I asked how he acquired such a firearm that clearly a 14 Year Old should not be able to get, his answer? Just go to any street alley in the City with $100-$200 and you can get a firearm like that, no serial number, etc.

Yet, the Violent Crime rate in the UK is greater than, the United States.
(Source: http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2...r-than-the-us/ )

Now, while the United States has a higher Homicide involving a gun rate, then the UK, How many of those Homicides are committed by illegally purchased firearms? How many of them are senseless gang bang hits over stupid shit? A lot...

Again, if you where a victim in a violent crime what would you rather do? Be a victim or protect yourself.

You're afraid of an inanimate object. Something that doesn't feel, doesn't set out to kill or hurt anything, it is just a tool, the same as back before Firearms with swords & daggers. It is never the tool that should be the blame, but the Person.

We fight the evil behind the tool, we can end senseless violence. Or we can keep saying "Let's ban guns" and it will solve nothing.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 15th 2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrieUSMC View Post

Would you rather have a shootout inside a school between a good guy with a gun vs a bad guy with a gun, or a bad guy with a gun having his free reign?

There is nothing wrong with having an armed trained Law Enforcement Officer, security, or even a Concealed carry license inside a school. Why? Because they are trained to have the weapon.

You say that with banning weapons in the United Kingdom, you don't have to worry about shootings, sure we'll go with that. You have a incredible lower murder rate with firearms then the United States.

But, how many of those Firearm deaths in the United States are from Law Abiding Citizens? Through purchased legal guns?

When I worked EMS in a city, (Not New York City, just a random city in New York State.) A Kid was arrested for having a fire arm, and I asked how he acquired such a firearm that clearly a 14 Year Old should not be able to get, his answer? Just go to any street alley in the City with $100-$200 and you can get a firearm like that, no serial number, etc.

Yet, the Violent Crime rate in the UK is greater than, the United States.
(Source: http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2...r-than-the-us/ )

Now, while the United States has a higher Homicide involving a gun rate, then the UK, How many of those Homicides are committed by illegally purchased firearms? How many of them are senseless gang bang hits over stupid shit? A lot...

Again, if you where a victim in a violent crime what would you rather do? Be a victim or protect yourself.

You're afraid of an inanimate object. Something that doesn't feel, doesn't set out to kill or hurt anything, it is just a tool, the same as back before Firearms with swords & daggers. It is never the tool that should be the blame, but the Person.

We fight the evil behind the tool, we can end senseless violence. Or we can keep saying "Let's ban guns" and it will solve nothing.
Between having a shootout inside a school or a bad guy with a gun having free reign I would eliminate the potential for a gun as we have and it has worked.

I haven't bothered to Google to check your source this time, but there was a debate on here before that covered the term "violent crime" meaning very different things in the US than in the UK, so some things we consider under that term would not be considered such in the US, which can throw doubt at those figures. I do also acknowledge that "gun death" rates in the US can be taken into account over things such as suicide which, if for lack of a gun, would have happened through some other means, so it's important to look at homicide and murder rates rather than gun death rates.

I believe we have a large problem with knife crime, and I would agree that we can't exactly ban knives. I suppose I see guns in a different way though, since unless you start throwing knives around, their potential to cause widespread damage is limited compared to a firearm.

I'm not afraid of guns because they don't play a part in every day life here. Damn right I'd be afraid of them if they did. A killer is probably gonna kill any way they can, but a gun sure as hell makes their job a lot easier and enables them to cause panic, fear, and a greater amount of destruction.

As for people with weapons inside a school, you'll never convince me that's a good idea. I don't care how trained they are - the image it sends young kids that we need people patrolling schools with guns is horrifying. I can't imagine growing up in that environment and I don't care for it.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 16th 2013, 08:47 PM

A pro-gun control activist starts a school shooting. He walks into a gun free zone, in a state with some of the newest and tightest gun regulations, and shoots himself 80 seconds into it because an armed school resource officer responded and fought back.

I don't understand the notion behind armed officers in schools being 'terrifying', I grew up with two in my high-school and they were the nicest people in the world. Protecting kids with armed security isn't "horrifying", it's the smartest and most effective way to deal with these kinds of things. You don't have to like school resource officers, but when push comes to shove- laws, regulations, and bans, statistically, simply do not work.

Shooter: 0
Gun Control: 0
Good guy with gun: 1

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Points: 28,923, Level: 24 Points: 28,923, Level: 24 Points: 28,923, Level: 24

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 17th 2013, 04:34 AM

Arapahoe high school is about 10 minutes away from my school, where I was at during the shooting so this is an event that happened quite close to me. It has been quite a scary situation for arapahoe and even my school is now taking extra precautions against this happening. The kid who hurt the 2 people and shot himself was bullied at school, so I think bullying is the one to blame in this situation. He wouldn't have shot others and himself if he hadn't been bullied. I hate that bullying has come as far as this...Its really a shame.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Colorado School shooting, on eve of anniversary. - December 17th 2013, 04:44 AM

I wish the victims the best of luck; one is still in a coma in the hospital, and I'm thinking positively for her, her friends and family.

...cuz you know, that's really what's important, not using the incident as a way to push your political agenda either way.

something burning?
Closed Thread