TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 1st 2009, 03:02 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...a_N.htm?csp=34
Quote:
An 8-year-old Saudi girl has divorced her middle-aged husband after her father forced her to marry him last year in exchange for about $13,000, her lawyer said Thursday. Saudi Arabia has come under increasing criticism at home and abroad for permitting child marriages. The United States, a close ally of the conservative Muslim kingdom, has called child marriage a "clear and unacceptable" violation of human rights. The girl was allowed to divorce the 50-year-old man who she married in August after an out-of-court settlement had been reached in the case, said her lawyer, Abdulla al-Jeteli. The exact date of the divorce was not immediately known. A court in the central Oneiza region previously rejected a request by the girl's mother for a divorce and ruled that the girl would have to wait until she reached puberty to file a petition then. There are no laws in Saudi Arabia defining the minimum age for marriage. Though a woman's consent is legally required, some marriage officials don't seek it. But there has been a push by Saudi human rights groups to define the age of marriage and put an end to the phenomenon. One Saudi human rights activist Sohaila Zain al-Abdeen was optimistic that the girl's divorce would help efforts to get a law passed enforcing a minimum marriage age of 18. "Unfortunately, some fathers trade their daughters," she told The Associated Press. "They are weak people who are sometimes in need of money and forget their roles as parents." It was not clear if the man received money for the divorce settlement. The man had given the girl's father 50,000 riyals, or about $13,350, as a marriage gift in return for his daughter, the lawyer said. The 8-year-old girl's marriage was not the only one in the kingdom to receive attention in recent months. Saudi newspapers have highlighted several cases in which young girls were married off to much older men or young boys including a 15-year-old girl whose father, a death-row inmate, married her off to a cell mate. Saudi Arabia's conservative Muslim clergy have opposed the drive to end child marriages. In January, the kingdom's most senior cleric said it was permissible for 10-year-old girls to marry and those who believe they are too young are doing the girls an injustice. But some in the government appear to support the movement to set a minimum age for marriage. The kingdom's new justice minister was quoted in mid-April as saying the government was doing a study on underage marriage that would include regulations. There are no statistics to show how many marriages involving children are performed in Saudi Arabia every year. Activists say the girls are given away in return for hefty marriage gifts or as a result of long-standing custom in which a father promises his infant daughters and sons to cousins out of a belief that marriage will protect them from illicit relationships.
What a Screwed up Father.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 1st 2009, 03:08 AM

You also have to consider it's their culture, and some of them don't know any better. Which is really sad.

I really feel sorry for this girl, and everyone affected by young marriages like this.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Junior TeenHelper

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 1st 2009, 03:24 AM

Poor girl. How could they let her get married before puberty, but not get a divorce?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 1st 2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
What a Screwed up Father
No he is not, he is a perfect representation of his culture. I'm pretty sure your views are just as vile & disturbing to them.

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
msbunnykins Offline
Obsessive cat owner.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 1st 2009, 11:05 PM

It is their culture, I must agree. But, I do think we live in a day in age where these types of things need to be addressed all over the world and shown why it is an outdated practice that holds no value. In the past, it could be seen that these men could offer these girls protection and a much better life than they could have on their own. That was the times, and it has changed. Women have shown that we are quite capable of doing things on our own, and therefore I think the practice does need to be disbanded. But, I don't necessarily blame them, as they're not as educated as the Western world on these types of matters (and to clarify before I get bitch-slapped by everyone here I am not saying Saudi's are not intelligent people, but there are certain matters they are uneducated on- like how we, too, are uneducated on some things compared to other countries)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 1st 2009, 11:36 PM

Good for her. At least she doesn't want to be with the guy.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 2nd 2009, 12:00 AM

It is their culture, however, we need to reach out to these young victims. Let's face it: every human being deserves basic human rights, no matter what culture they are from. I wish the Saudi gov't and some of its people understood that.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#8 (permalink)) Old
rizz Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rhiannon

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 2nd 2009, 12:31 AM

i have to say thats really...not good...a child can marry but not get a devorce...thank goodness she eventually got one...i feel so sorry 4 the poor girl

Luv those who cannot luv themselves
Giv a hug to a friend
Luv those who luv u bak
Blow a kiss times ten
Luv is everywhere u look
Around every corner

(#9 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 2nd 2009, 04:36 AM

I feel absolutely horrible for the girl. I'm glad that she is now divorced, however.

--A

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Magicalisland Offline
Human being
Junior TeenHelper

Name: E. Brill

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 2nd 2009, 06:23 PM

The poor girl. Child marriages are totally screwed up. She is so brave especially to have the guts to divorce the guy. To be honest, I don't care what her culture is, marrying her to that guy is a violation of human rights.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Heaven help the children....
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ariella

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 2nd 2009, 06:49 PM

The poor child. When I was eight, I was listening to brittney spears and conquering my fears of the jungle gym. That poor kid probably didn't even have time to just be a kid, and that's the saddest thing. And who's to say she won't be forced into another ugly marrige when she's 13-14?
I don't think the man is sick, it's just their culture and they have never known anything different. It is very sad, though.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Care-o-Bear Offline
I <3 him! :)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Caroline

Re: 8-year-old Saudi girl divorces 50-year-old husband - May 2nd 2009, 10:45 PM

I try not to be ethnocentric about those things, but it really just disturbs me and I really can't condone those types of marraiges. It's just wrong

Closed Thread