TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DemonQueen Offline
amber_teh_shark since 2004
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Points: 15,178, Level: 17 Points: 15,178, Level: 17 Points: 15,178, Level: 17

Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 5th 2014, 03:18 PM

So this article has been posted all over Facebook for the past couple days. This 18 year old from New Jersey is suing her parents and demanding they pay for the rest of her private high school and her college tuition. The girl left her parents house because she allegedly didn't want to help around the house with chores, etc. Although she is saying that she was kicked out of the house and left "high and dry."

I think this girl needs to grow up, get a job and apply for financial aid. You're 18, a legal adult and are now out of your parents house. If you want to be out on your own then you need to grow up and start acting like an adult.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...sey&id=9453016

I've been through hell and back and came out stronger than ever.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 5th 2014, 09:32 PM

Without the benefit of a judgment on the full facts of the case (this is only a partial verdict thus far), it's difficult to comment really. That being said, it sounds like one of the most ridiculous lawsuits I've heard of in some time, and the fact that the judge has refused to grant interim relief as requested would seem to suggest the daughter has something of an uphill battle ahead of her. I think all those involved (and especially the other family bankrolling this whole charade, which I find incredible frankly) need to start using some common sense and intellect, and start acting like reasonable people. This is not what the court system was intended to deal with.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 5th 2014, 11:39 PM

Since she voluntarily left in the first place I don't feel as if the parents are responsible for anything anymore. She left, so why should they still have to support her? Besides, it doesn't say anywhere that parents have to pay for a kid's college education.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Points: 45,116, Level: 30 Points: 45,116, Level: 30 Points: 45,116, Level: 30

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 7th 2014, 04:26 AM

She's just a spoiled brat who thinks she's entitled to all of her parents' money, even though she doesn't want to follow their rules. This won't go anywhere. I haven't heard a single person actually agree with her.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 19,331, Level: 20 Points: 19,331, Level: 20 Points: 19,331, Level: 20

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 7th 2014, 04:34 AM

Sounds like a spoiled brat to me. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. As someone mentioned above, you're 18 and out of Mommy and Daddy's house. Grow up, get a job, pay your own bills, and start acting like an adult.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 9th 2014, 07:01 PM

I will say it can be hard to get declared emancipated from your parents for financial aid purposes but it can be done. However, suing them because she chose to move out is stupid. However, in that case she needs to choose to go to a community college because she cannot afford the out of state tuition.

Also, I don't doubt that her parents are helicopter parents who are pressuring their child to due well. I also don't think she is used to being told no so she threw a tantrum and ran away. It wouldn't shock me if this is the first time her parents have stuck to their guns.

I don't think that the parents should have to pay. However, I don't know if I would blame her for running away but when I was making plans to leave my mom's house, I planned on working two jobs and going to the local university.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 10th 2014, 07:58 PM

I agree with what everyone has already said, she's just a spoiled little brat and her suing her parents to try and get money out of them is nothing but pure idiocy.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Points: 6,887, Level: 12 Points: 6,887, Level: 12 Points: 6,887, Level: 12

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 10th 2014, 10:57 PM

That's extremely ridiculous. While I do think it would be nice of anyone's parents to help contribute to a college education it shouldn't be automatically expected. If you refuse to help out your parents and don't have a positive relationship with them you can't expect them to offer you money. Once you're 18 your parents aren't legally required to pay for any of your expenses. It's unfair to expect them to just because they're your parents. It's unclear whether she was kicked out or chose to move out, but either way she's on her own and part of being on your own is handling your own finances, no matter how difficult it might be to do so. If she actually wins the lawsuit I'll be really surprised.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 11th 2014, 04:26 PM

Well 18 isn't necessarily clear cut like it is often portrayed.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18 Points: 16,327, Level: 18

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 12th 2014, 12:25 AM

She sounds a little entitled. Higher education is a privileged, not a right. Your parents don't owe you money for school. I work full time, and go to school full time.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Ivan"Chandler" Brown

Points: 10,664, Level: 15 Points: 10,664, Level: 15 Points: 10,664, Level: 15

Re: Girl suing parents for college tuition. - March 20th 2014, 03:42 AM

I do not think that the parents should have to pay any part of her tuition. Since she left home without being forced too they should not have to pay for anything that they choose not too anymore. It would be her problem since she is the one who left home and now she's expecting them to pay for her tuition? It's called a job. Maybe you should look into getting one or moving back in with your parents IF they let you before you go asking them to pay ANY part of your tuition. The rest of us don't expect stuff to get payed for us when we leave home so why should you be any different? -Shaking my head-

I'll miss you grandma more then you'll ever know. I know your being taken good care of. I will never forget you.
5/20/1950??-4/1/2013
Closed Thread