TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

How "healthy" is a country? - October 10th 2014, 04:02 PM

I judge how "healthy" a country is based on several things. But here is one of those things which I've figured out today:

When a crime or immoral act is committed, who do people blame for it? The victim, or the criminal?

• If people mostly blame the criminal, you're on the right track.
  • If people mostly blame the victim, you're living in a shit hole rife with opportunities for sociopaths and psychopaths to exploit.

In reality, I strongly believe the blame almost never lies 100% with one person. But I'll omit that to simplify things, because that's a slightly different debate.

Examples:
1. Rape - if a female is raped, do the majority of people focus on blaming the victim for "dressing inappropriately", or the actual criminal?
2. Petty theft - if someone's watch is stolen in a swimming pool (for example), do people more readily blame the victim for being "careless", or the thief?
3. Violent theft/breaking in - do people mostly blame the victim, for wondering in the wrong neighborhood or not having "adequate" enough security in the house.... or do people go after the criminal?
4. Petty swindles (not usually a crime) - do people mostly blame the victim, for being "naive", or the "victor" (not necessarily a criminal in this context) for being "smart"?

I think asking yourself these kinds of questions about the community or country you're living in is a good way to tell whether or not it's worth staying or getting the fuck out of there.

I'm of a strong opinion (hard to back up with facts) that a reasonable % of people who more readily pin the blame on the victim, are subtly justifying the actions of the criminal or "victor". Essentially, they're subtly saying that if they swapped shoes with either of the people, they'd have played it out the same way. They're implying that this sort of behavior or action is "normal" and therefore somehow "ok".

It's a dog-eat-dog, kill-or-be-killed mentality, which isn't at all conducive to any community's good health in the long-term, or even in the short-term. It's impossible to grow strong as a "team" when you can't trust people, because at any time, some opportunistic anusweed is prepared to stab you in the back for a dollar or a thousand dollars. It's despicable, and I'm not of the impression it's correlated much or caused by poverty. It's the other way round, it's cultural. Poverty is caused by IT. I've known several people who were quite wealthy (relatively) and behaved exactly that way. And their justification for their actions is always something vaguely on the lines of "my victims weren't strong enough to keep what was theirs", although they are rarely arrogant enough to put it so bluntly.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: How "healthy" is a country? - October 12th 2014, 06:53 PM

While you're potentially opening a very large can of worms in terms of how this reflects on a number of societies, I think you make a very good point here. I can understand how in some circumstances people may deserve some criticism for contributing to their plight, but the vast majority of the blame for carrying out such acts lies with the criminal themselves. It's not as if they went into autopilot or had an out-of-body experience when doing such things - they're moral agents like the rest of the population and should be viewed accordingly. Yet particularly with sexual offences, the focus tends to shift on the victim in a disproportionate manner - as demonstrated by the recent celebrity nude photo hack, which as Jennifer Lawrence quite rightly pointed out is a sex crime. This to me is very worrying, as it suggests blaming others for your own dubious conduct is an acceptable course of action, which then goes on to influence wider group behaviour and resulting societal norms. Yet in the same breath, you get people complaining about how "it wasn't like this back in the good old days" or the collapse of society. Newsflash: society is what you make it. Your actions, your prejudices, your sense of what is and isn't acceptable create the conditions you live in. So I think there is a need for people to assess how their particular society views these things, and while I wouldn't say it lends itself to a need to get out as quickly as possible if things have gone to hell in a handcart it certainly does lead to a need to do something about it rather than just complain all the time.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Closed Thread