TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Why do so many people here find some of the news so shocking? - May 7th 2009, 03:11 AM

As the title says, why?

There are many threads regarding some kid dying from whatever, some guy dying from who-knows-what, some animal, kid or guy being injured from something or someone, and regardless of how common these threads are, people always seem to be so shocked or disgusted or horrified or whatever feeling/emotion you happen to get. So, my question is simple: why?

To me, I'd have thought that after 15,20 or so threads about the same or similar events, people here would've gotten used to it, yet people still seem to be shocked, repulsed, horrified, angry, saddened, etc... . So, why?

Now, of course, I'm probably going to see answers dealing with your emotions or feelings or whatever you call them, but I want a real answer. By real, I mean a reason explaining why you aren't more tolerant of the "horrific news".

Also, and this may be where the more triggering part for some easily-triggered users comes in, you only read the article (whether it's the whole or parts of it, doesn't matter) yet you see no images or videos of the event or similar events. Despite not being given a visual image, you still feel so emotional?

Lastly, and I'll use big letters for this: DON'T PROJECT YOUR FEELINGS/EMOTIONS OR GIVE INSULTS TO ME OR OTHERS POSTERS.

Frankly, I'm getting annoyed by the insults and emotional projections that other users give to others as it provides absolutely nothing to the issue at hand. For this issue (i.e. topic of the thread), yes your opinion is necessary and I welcome all opinions BUT keep the opinions related only to the thread.

As said by whoever said it: DEBATE THE DEBATE, NOT THE DEBATER (i.e. no ad hominem).

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Why do so many people here find some of the news so shocking? - May 7th 2009, 03:53 AM

Speaking only for myself, I'm a conceptual thinker. I don't find that actually watching something is worse than just reading or hearing about it; it's all information that gets processed down to the same basic components. That's how my brain works.

That said, I don't really fall in to the "emotionally responsive" group you're addressing in the first place. From my point of view, there's so much in the world to be upset about that actually getting upset about it would cause far more stress than I want to deal with.

When you say tolerance though, I think you actually mean desensitization; becoming accustomed to something that initially invokes a strong response. It might not be entirely logical that people get upset about whichever murder or injustice they read about, considering the sheer volume of them, but I don't think it's necessarily bad. The more people continue to be horrified, hopefully, the stronger society as a whole will work to lessen the horror.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Why do so many people here find some of the news so shocking? - May 7th 2009, 10:50 AM

I'm generally not bothered by most news, unless it really is horrific, or hits very close to home, and then its generally just me feeling a discomfort that I don't like. But really, thats not very often. And for me, writing can do it, descriptions and imagination is enough. Words can be powerful, not just pictures.

I find people's overreactions quite annoying, as it often leads to absurd responses, and its all just silly. But when reading this topic, mostly coming to agree with you, the thought came into my head, why are we bothered that some people haven't become desensitised. These events technically should be shocking, as isolated incidents. So are the people who havent basically become cynical about life really doing anything negative?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Why do so many people here find some of the news so shocking? - May 7th 2009, 12:19 PM

I'm not shocked by news, I'm just appalled at human insensitivity and stupidity.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Confused1isin Offline
Straight Edge LIFE!!!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelly or Khaos

Re: Why do so many people here find some of the news so shocking? - May 7th 2009, 02:23 PM

I'm rarely "shocked" by the news, but more of let down by the human race. I'm used to people being idiots and doing f-ed up things, but the factt that no one ever learns disapoints me. I still have a bit of hope for the human race, so seeing certain acts is a blow. And as an animal lover, any story of an animal being hurt or killed pisses me the hell off!!

"It took a funeral to make me feel alive"
"
Forget regret or life is yours to miss, no other road, no other way. No DAY BUT TODAY!!!!"
  Send a message via AIM to Confused1isin Send a message via MSN to Confused1isin  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Why do so many people here find some of the news so shocking? - May 7th 2009, 09:04 PM

I'll admit that I'm often shocked by the news. However, I think that I have good reasons. The reasons are good in my mind, but I have a feeling that others will not be receptive of them. I'm going to post my thoughts. I must say first, however, that unless you live in this place or have been raised in my shoes then you honestly do not know.

Where I live, it's a small town. Things are quiet. Nothing bad ever happens. Some of the things I see on the news are unimaginable to me. I can't imagine some of this happening. Things like that don't happen here. It's odd to hear of such things that don't exist in the "world" that you live in. When I was a child, I was very sheltered. I did watch the news briefly but I was not allowed to discuss the events. I was raised by my grandparents. They believe in the "children should be seen, not heard" policy. They also think that women should not be involved in politics. So, I watched in silence. I had no one to discuss this with. My friends were more amused by cooking and Barbies at that age. As I grew older, the internet became at my fingertips.

Now, I'm able to formulate opinions on things and talk to them with other people. But, because I was not exposed to such things as a child, they still surprise me. I also think that the area that I live in has a lot to do with it. The things that I read about are just unfathomable here.

--A

Closed Thread