TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magicalisland Offline
Human being
Junior TeenHelper

Name: E. Brill

Does Africa benefit from its relationship with England? - May 11th 2009, 03:11 PM

I was asked this by my geography teacher but I couldn't really answer it. I know England helps Africa out by giving them aid but then again English companies also exploit african workers. As you can see, I don't really know much about it and was wondering if any of you guys have particularly strong opinions on the subject. What do you guys think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Does Africa benefit from its relationship with England? - May 11th 2009, 03:21 PM

I've done a lot of research on this subject. And for the matter, it's the United Kingdom government that gives aid to Africa, not England
The UK helped abolish tied aid, which in my mind, is one of the most fantastic things we could have done. Tied aid is a government giving another government money, but they choose what to use the money for, not the government that needs it. Examples of this is giving a country money for farming equipment, but making them buy it from the aid giving country, which is more expensive than buying it from their own country.

Also, the Scottish government has set up an alliance [for lack of a better word] with Malawi, and I myself helped set up a charity in my high school to give money to a children's club in Malawi, where they help find orphans distant family to live with, and send them to school.
I know, at least in Scotland, that they've set up a scheme to send all our old school books and equipment that we don't use anymore to schools in Malawi. I remember raising money for school equipment, and seeing the kid's smiling faces was worth so much more than what we raised.

I do believe the government is trying to help, but the African workers being exploited is companies doing it, not the government. The government does not have control over what Africans get paid, that is to do with the individual countries in Africa, and as quite a few are corrupt, it's unlikely things will change, as the money they receive gets spent on weapons.

Some companies are bringing in more fair trade products, which guarantees fair wages for workers, which I think is awesome. So in conclusion, the UK government helps, the companies sometimes help, and some still use sweat shops just to maximise profits.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Does Africa benefit from its relationship with England? - May 11th 2009, 03:57 PM

Definitely!

because look at south africa! its the most stable part of africa.

But its true that alot of western companies exploit the people but it isnt really the goverments fault.

I heard all kind of crap about the somali pirates, like how they kill and steal. But my dad has a client who actually travels to africa to transport goods. He said that its really danangerous there but he said that alot of african people are treated like shit. Like big oil companies dump oil in there water, and makes the fish toxic. Also they make poor africans to work for food and not for money "under the table". So it is nearly imposible for them to create get out of the "modern slave labour".

Think about the feed a man a fish vs teaching him how to fish saying.

Africa is like china and india, but its alot harder to fix because there are so many differnt countries and it struggles to be stable.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Magicalisland Offline
Human being
Junior TeenHelper

Name: E. Brill

Re: Does Africa benefit from its relationship with England? - May 12th 2009, 07:23 PM

Thanks, all that information is really helpful.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Does Africa benefit from its relationship with England? - May 15th 2009, 03:26 AM

Hm... I know more about the Age of Imperialism in Africa rather than currently. In both situations however, Africa benefits in some ways but suffers in others.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Closed Thread