TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Flint Water Crisis - January 30th 2016, 06:43 PM

Anybody who is a friend with me on Facebook has seen me talk about this a lot. I visited the county's health department in September as part of my orientation, and at the time, I was given a free bottle of water by the officials because of the "odd taste." I have a lot of feelings on the subject. If I describe it in my own words, it'll have a lot of cusswords, so here is Wikipedia's quick description of the problem:

"The Flint water crisis is a drinking water contamination crisis in Flint Michigan, United States, that started in April 2014. After Flint changed its water source from treated Lake Huron water (via Detroit) to the Flint River, its drinking water had a series of problems that culminated with lead contamination, creating a serious public health danger. The corrosive Flint River water caused lead from aging pipes to leach into the water supply, causing extremely elevated levels of lead. As a result, between 6,000 and 12,000 residents had severely high levels of lead in the blood and experienced a range of serious health problems. The water change is also a possible cause of an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in the county that has killed 10 people and affected another 77." [Wikipedia]

So...people have been poisoned, and the government knew months before children's blood lead levels were skyrocketing. They were recommended against switching the water supply by multiple environmental health agencies and did it anyway because it was cheaper. A State of Emergency has been put into place, four government officials have resigned, a class action lawsuit is going against the governor. It's a mess. My school had a water drive to help (but considering Flint doesn't have a recycling program, I can only imagine how these bottles won't help their environment) and is volunteering regularly in the area. But the whole thing is atrocious.

Here are some articles on the subject:
They knew about this over a year ago.
Flint, MI had been sending water to their own workers months ago.
Flint is still charging people for their water, and CPS has threatened to take children away from their parents for not paying their water bill due to Michigan law stating parents need to provide water to their children... even if the water is not usable.

My concluding thoughts on the subject:

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Flint Water Crisis - January 30th 2016, 09:18 PM

I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG FOR THIS THREAD. As a Flint native, its just incredible watching this shitshow. We have the highest water bills in the state, and we can't even drink it. Some areas are a lot worse than others, though. My water was clear and smelled like shit two years ago, so we stopped fucking with it. We have to use bottled water, even for the dog. Our water (in my house) isn't so bad that we can't bathe in it, but some people were getting skin legions and hair loss. It was literally coming out brown. The governor had been covering this up for about a year, too. When reputable doctors and scientists tested the water and the lead levels of children, they kept testing REALLY, REALLY high. And fucking Rick Snyder, that worthless, steaming pile of hellbound dogshit, basically called them quacks and he and his people said the water was fine. While he was saying the water was fine for everyone else, a limited number of government employees were getting shipped fresh water, and people who were close to him were communicating with him, telling him about the problem.
A basic timeline: In 2011, Flint (which is a very poor city) had a city council meeting where they decided to save 15 million dollars by switching from the clean Lake Huron water from Detroit to the filthy Flint River water down the street from me. That river is where General Motors had been dumping chemicals for years, and just by looking into it, you can see all manner of random shit in there: shopping carts, TVs, bikes, tires, and every once in a while dead people would get fished out. This water is literally so corrosive that General Motors can't use it in their factories because it erodes their car parts. At this point, Republicans who will defend Snyder to the death insist it was the democratic city council's fault; not so. This still could have been pulled off with only minor hiccups. In 2011, Governor Rick Snyder signed a law that allows him to put in an "emergency manager" to take over any cities that are deemed to be failing financially. These guys are actually just mini-dictators who take all the power away from elected officials and answer only to Snyder. Their job is to save money in any way possible. However, this guy proceeded with the water plan without thinking it out at all. While saving money, all they had to do was pay 365,000 dollars a year for an anti-corrosive treatment on the water, and it would have been fine with just a bit of extra treatment. However, they decided to save that relatively small amount of money and not treat the water. They then sold the pipeline to Detroit, so if this failed, we were good and fucked. The river water, which has a higher salinity than lake water, corroded the lead pipes, which were fine until then. The water was coming out brown, people were getting sick, and later, people died from Legionella (which is correlated with the water), and while this was going on Snyder and his cronies insisted everything was fine. Everybody drank this water at some point, and the children will grow up with lower IQs and a variety of health problems because of it. At some point last year (I believe it was May), Snyder was getting emails from one of his guys saying, yeah, the water is bad. He acknowledged it in October. He sent help in January. This "help" was 30 national guard to distribute water for a city of 100,000. At Snyder's request, Obama stepped in and sent FEMA to help (granted, I don't know what they've done). And now, all help is coming in the form of water filters and bottled water. This is pointless. There are 100,000 people. Bottled water won't last, and the water filters can't even handle that much lead (the limit is either 150 ppb of lead or 250 ppb; the actual numbers came back WAY higher). Meanwhile, Snyder has no plan to fix the water system, which, by the way, will cost more than a BILLION dollars.
If this was a white, Republican city, people who actually voted for Snyder, I guarantee this would have been fixed within a week.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Flint Water Crisis - January 31st 2016, 12:18 AM

I can't even. I've already written a few of my homework assignments on this topic. It's just so ridiculous how nobody is taking responsibility for their actions and that people are CONTINUING to have to go through such shit. It's really ridiculous that people were poisoned at dramatic levels and nobody seemed to care. I don't even see this in my newsfeed that often except from maybe you and one other person, but yet if this was something about ISIS, the whole newsfeed would be hopping.

Not that ISIS isn't a problem, but it's like since this is a poor, predominately black area, nobody cares.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Flint Water Crisis - January 31st 2016, 06:55 PM

My family and I spoke about this so much. They were actually the ones who told me about it because I dont follow the news anymore (*insert lecture about how I'm uneducated here I was searching up what I can do to help from here in NY...I get so angry at these things.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Flint Water Crisis - January 31st 2016, 09:48 PM

I had saw your post on Facebook so that is how I know about it. I read some articles on it and saw the photos, I kept wondering why there isn't anything done about it. It just seems cruel. It's disgusting really. That isn't a normal living in a household. You're suppose to have heat, water, gas, etc., even if you pay for it, it should be healthy and working up to those standards. That is pretty much saying living in your home isn't safe cause of the water conditions. It's not right.

Lake Huron is, from my understanding, the Canadian side like Windsor and Sarnia, Ontario use. They are stupid to switch it. Even if that water got contaminated the Canadian Government would have a fit and work to fix the issues safely and effectively. I can't believe they switched to Flint to a very unsafe water supply. I doubt they are even treating that water before going to homes.

I do hope those who are living there are doing okay despite all the lack of safe water, I am sure many will be moving to another state cause of those conditions.

I just can't get over the fact that this is happening. My building for an example they check the water once a month to ensure it is healthy, they even check the fire alarms every month and twice a year go into each unit to ensure smoke alarms are working. I just can't understand why water is being neglected and not cared for.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Flint Water Crisis - January 31st 2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

I do hope those who are living there are doing okay despite all the lack of safe water, I am sure many will be moving to another state cause of those conditions.
You can't move out if you don't have money. And you can't get money if you can't sell your house. And there is no way you can sell a house in Flint now.
Edit: its illegal to sell a house with a lead water problem (or so I saw on a meme earlier)

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by MWF; February 3rd 2016 at 01:54 AM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Flint Water Crisis - January 31st 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
You can't move out if you don't have money. And you can't get money if you can't sell your house. And there is no way you can sell a house in Flint now.
Yep, nailed it. The houses are basically worthless now, and these people were poor to begin with. The state didn't care because the decision was cheaper and the people it affected were poor.

Can Synder be arrested yet? I mean...you knowingly poison people, that's the protocol right?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Flint Water Crisis - January 31st 2016, 11:01 PM

Fair point. I am not used to hearing these things in Canada. If so, action is taken and the public is notified.

This guy, Synder, is he going to jail and will face criminal charges? Is that actually going to go forward?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Flint Water Crisis - February 1st 2016, 12:00 AM

I saw this on Tumblr and it's disgusting. I showed it to my parents (who hadn't heard about it) and they were just as disturbed as I was. It is disgusting that nothing is really being done about it and the fact they're paying for water that is essentially poisoning them. We don't live near Flint or even in the USA so we couldn't volunteer but we've been donating money to help.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
RadioSerenade Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: The Limelighter

Re: Flint Water Crisis - February 1st 2016, 11:22 AM

That is what happens when governments are led by business people. Rick Snyder is a venture capitalist and entrepreneur and when he became the leader, he made his decisions with a business mindset. This failure of government should result in a screening of candidates and quite frankly, some sort of restriction on business leaders interacting with politics.

I do not know if the United Nations has come out with any word on this issue but the government of Michigan should also be condemned on an international scale for essentially trapping thousands of Americans in a fumigation tent.

02425950695064738395657479136519351798334535362521 43003540126026771622672160419810652263169355188780 38814483140652526168785095552646051071172000997092 91249544378887496062882911725063001303622934916080 25459461494578871427832350829242102091825896753560 43086993801689249889268099510169055919951195027887 17830837018340236474548882222161573228010132974509 27344594504343300901096928025352751833289884461508 94042482650181938515625357963996189939679054966380 03222348723967018485186439059104575627262464195387

(#11 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Flint Water Crisis - February 1st 2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSerenade View Post
That is what happens when governments are led by business people. Rick Snyder is a venture capitalist and entrepreneur and when he became the leader, he made his decisions with a business mindset. This failure of government should result in a screening of candidates and quite frankly, some sort of restriction on business leaders interacting with politics.

I do not know if the United Nations has come out with any word on this issue but the government of Michigan should also be condemned on an international scale for essentially trapping thousands of Americans in a fumigation tent.
In America, these people are called "libertarians". They think running the government like a business will make a utopia. On the social side, they aren't so stuffy as the typical Republicans who want to shove religion and morality down peoples' throats, because why should they care? Their religion is basically money.
Apologies to any libertarians who aren't like that, I'm stereotyping based on the Koch brothers.

Last edited by MWF; February 1st 2016 at 05:43 PM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Flint Water Crisis - February 10th 2016, 12:16 PM

https://vid.me/zDpS This is a four-minute video basically explaining why it can't get better, and what happens if you don't pay for the water (spoiler: the end result is you end up out on your ass and your kids are taken by Child Protective Services).

Closed Thread