TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

'Obamacare' ruling - May 14th 2016, 03:37 AM

Here is the article:

http://nypost.com/2016/05/12/obama-a...ing-obamacare/

Any other thoughts?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; May 14th 2016 at 04:27 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: 'Obamacare' ruling - May 14th 2016, 03:16 PM

There's worse things to spend $175 billion dollars on. Like a $6 trillion dollar war, for example. I guess we'll see what happens since it is allegedly 'illegal'.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: 'Obamacare' ruling - May 14th 2016, 06:52 PM

Well, I read another article that basically said the judge shouldn't have even allowed the case to be heard. So, it is being predicted that when it goes to the court of appeals that this ruling will be overturned. The judge that ruled on this case was appointed by the Bush Administration so that might have something to do with the ruling as well.

Also, this ruling was based on the reimbursements that are given to insurance companies so that they can have low premiums. If they don't get reimbursed then the premiums will likely increase. So, from what I read, not all of ACA is illegal just this portion.

I am hoping for the best though because all I can think about is the many people that will be hurt by this.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 'Obamacare' ruling - May 22nd 2016, 06:05 PM

It's basically that republicans have to pay an extra amount of money each year for poor people to pay for still outrageously priced health care. My mom's Obama Care insurance through the cheapest insurance and cheapest plan was still $200 a month. Very affordable (not). Which I forget the actual figures, but that 175 billion equates to about 20 or 30 dollars in taxes from every American each of those ten years. Not to mention the rich republicans make money off of the sick people paying medical bills, why would they want to help?

I don't know if I phrased all of that right, but whatever.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: 'Obamacare' ruling - May 23rd 2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum View Post
It's basically that republicans have to pay an extra amount of money each year for poor people to pay for still outrageously priced health care. My mom's Obama Care insurance through the cheapest insurance and cheapest plan was still $200 a month. Very affordable (not). Which I forget the actual figures, but that 175 billion equates to about 20 or 30 dollars in taxes from every American each of those ten years. Not to mention the rich republicans make money off of the sick people paying medical bills, why would they want to help?

I don't know if I phrased all of that right, but whatever.
You've grappled precisely what's wrong with this entire discourse. The judge allowing this case to be heard further perpetuates this discourse going on in the US today about the political and legal merits/legitimacy of the Affordable Healthcare Act between two parties bought and sold, while single-payer or universal healthcare systems are swept under the rug as untenable ideals.
It's a very sorry state of affairs that this poltical banter has shaped up to be chest-pounding about the merits of a system that is already incredibly expensive for a healthcare outlet, taking up almost double the GDP percentage of a system such as the UK's NHS. This entire discussion is shaped around corporate welfare schemes without a genuine social policy in sight.

One million miles away...

Closed Thread