TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jacob

Syrian Refugees - May 24th 2016, 07:10 AM

Just curious what people think of Syrian refugees. I mean, plenty of news sites, mostly conservative, have painted Syrian refugees as terrorists from ISIS and America has accepted relatively small refugees when compared to countries such as Canada.

As many independent sources show, Syrian refugees like to terrorism is so low that it "should be a nonissue":

1. http://www.bustle.com/articles/12487...l-astonish-you
2. http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/...-resettlement/
3. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...rogram/416475/

I mean, a survey found that 51% of Americans are against Syrian refugees, even though the Founding Father were refugees and America used to be the land of opportunity, and it seems like people in Syria are the ones who need it. The overwhelming majority, practically all, are families trying to escape war and give a better life to themselves and their children.

Yes, maybe the system will let in a terrorist, and that wouldn't be good, but we have measures to protect ourselves against that. And, remember, every time a natural born child comes into the world, there is also a chance that he/she could become a terrorist. We will never have perfect safety, because our world is not perfect, and in doing so we would be giving up the freedoms that America was created with in the first place.

Then there was the fact that Jesus, was a middle eastern refugee himself:
1. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-g...b_8594676.html

I mean, I didn't find the interview funny at all, but look at the Candian Prime Minister, and his country's reaction to this mess:
1. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gT-vJg-EfM

I'm not a very political person, but I mean, come on America.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Syrian Refugees - May 24th 2016, 10:33 AM

I welcome refugees with open arms in the US and the few I have met are very kind people, but I also feel Americans will be sent to other countries as refugees after this election finishes so it might not be in their best interest to come here.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Syrian Refugees - May 24th 2016, 01:49 PM

I would happily accept them. I'll never understand the conservative notion to arm yourself and your country to the teeth and protect yourself against any and all risk, even the astronomically high risk of being attacked by starving women and children.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...in-study-finds
"Conservatives Big on Fear, Study Finds."
Oh wait... Could that help explain why American conservatives feel the need to fear refugees, God, illegal immigrants, non-white people, the government, God, gun control, God, gays, God, etc.?

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Syrian Refugees - May 24th 2016, 05:30 PM

Many months ago, like when this first came about, I was against the Syrian refuges and even voted on a poll for my local newstation. But now, thinking about leaving the country if Trump actually becomes president, I would be a damn hypocrite if I said I still don't welcome them. On the other hand, though, I think they'd have better luck with other countries not because I don't want them in the United States, but because of the impending Trump presidency. They would be treated with respect and decency in, say, Australia or France.

Of course, there's going to be Islamophobia wherever they go, because of the terrorist groups.

I would love to know some Syrians, though. The nice ones seem pretty cool.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
FlintofBavaria Offline
Professional Pessimist Psycho
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeffrey Woods

Re: Syrian Refugees - May 24th 2016, 10:12 PM

I have no clue what to think. While I'm in favour of helping them (obviously) I feel sorry for countries like France and Germany who have suffered TRAGEDIES because of them and terrorist operatives hiding among them.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
eat sleep rave repeat
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: REDACTED

Re: Syrian Refugees - May 24th 2016, 10:49 PM

Actually, around one hundred of Syrian refugees were recently resettled in my hometown here in Ireland and I'm very happy to welcome them. Our city has a thriving Muslim community who are incredibly active in the city's cultural and social scene and have been for years and the general consensus here is that multiculturalism has done the city good. I myself am descended from Jewish refugees fleeing anti-Semitism so perhaps I am likely to be a bit more sympathetic to the cause of modern-day refugees than the average person but overall I feel like us bringing in Syrian refugees is a good thing.

That being said, people's reaction to refugees here has been mixed. As well as security concerns, some people put forward the whole argument of "we should look after our own first" given the issues we have in Ireland with our public services, our housing and homelessness crisis, etc. My own opinion on that is something along the lines of our entire political and economic system needing a lot of major changes that could then allow us to help refugees and Irish citizens, but that's all besides the point.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Syrian Refugees - May 25th 2016, 02:27 AM

They are human beings, they are refugees of war, and I welcome them to my country. It's sad that it's even a debate.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Syrian Refugees - May 25th 2016, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPunkPrincess View Post
Actually, around one hundred of Syrian refugees were recently resettled in my hometown here in Ireland and I'm very happy to welcome them. Our city has a thriving Muslim community who are incredibly active in the city's cultural and social scene and have been for years and the general consensus here is that multiculturalism has done the city good. I myself am descended from Jewish refugees fleeing anti-Semitism so perhaps I am likely to be a bit more sympathetic to the cause of modern-day refugees than the average person but overall I feel like us bringing in Syrian refugees is a good thing.

That being said, people's reaction to refugees here has been mixed. As well as security concerns, some people put forward the whole argument of "we should look after our own first" given the issues we have in Ireland with our public services, our housing and homelessness crisis, etc. My own opinion on that is something along the lines of our entire political and economic system needing a lot of major changes that could then allow us to help refugees and Irish citizens, but that's all besides the point.

That's amazing. I hadn't heard about Ireland accepting Syrian Refugees. Seems like there isn't much coverage for places where refugees are welcomed in. I heard of that argument too about saving ourselves first. I disagree with that argument but I have a hard time explaining why. Something along the lines of the fact that problems go deeper than refugees needing resources. We have enough resources already, the problem is that it isn't given to the people who need it. That wont change with or without refugees unless we make systematic changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer. View Post
Many months ago, like when this first came about, I was against the Syrian refuges and even voted on a poll for my local newstation. But now, thinking about leaving the country if Trump actually becomes president, I would be a damn hypocrite if I said I still don't welcome them. On the other hand, though, I think they'd have better luck with other countries not because I don't want them in the United States, but because of the impending Trump presidency. They would be treated with respect and decency in, say, Australia or France.

Of course, there's going to be Islamophobia wherever they go, because of the terrorist groups.

I would love to know some Syrians, though. The nice ones seem pretty cool.
I feel you. We would be the refugees if Trump becomes president =/
I do not think they'll necessarily be treated with respect and decency in Australia or France though. I've heard Middle Eastern communities were discriminated against in Australia and there's a long history of Algerians, Lebanese and other French-speaking Arabic immigrants who were discriminated against in France. I have a family member who was not treated well in France and that was the reason for moving to United States. This was many years ago but I heard Muslim people tend to live in ghetto-like neighborhoods in France. That doesnt sound much better than the United States, but maybe less violence is the difference. Similarly, I heard that Middle Eastern immigrants and indigenous people in Australia are treated like second class citizens. But this was like through word of mouth and obviously like that's not empirical evidence so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post
They are human beings, they are refugees of war, and I welcome them to my country. It's sad that it's even a debate.
Agreed. Nothing more to say

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Syrian Refugees - May 31st 2016, 08:40 PM

For starters, people always sit there and say that they will leave the country if X is elected. It has been happening for years. Very few people leave the country.

The Founding Fathers were refugees? That's really a long shot there. I think all of them were born in the colonies at the time, I don't think they were outside of their homeland seeking aid or protection of other countries. They weren't. That is some sort of attempt to pull at people's heart strings.

One major concern is what will we do with them? You can't just give someone a plot of land and say "good luck." Every individual will require additional resources such as help locating work, job training, assistance with relocation, education on the US laws, etc. In a perfect society, it would be fine. In a realistic society, how should the US fund the refugees?

Another consideration is state vs federal government. Should the money for the refugees come from state budgets or should the federal government pay for some of it? Who are responsible for transporting the refugees?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jacob

Re: Syrian Refugees - June 1st 2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelola View Post
For starters, people always sit there and say that they will leave the country if X is elected. It has been happening for years. Very few people leave the country.

The Founding Fathers were refugees? That's really a long shot there. I think all of them were born in the colonies at the time, I don't think they were outside of their homeland seeking aid or protection of other countries. They weren't. That is some sort of attempt to pull at people's heart strings.

One major concern is what will we do with them? You can't just give someone a plot of land and say "good luck." Every individual will require additional resources such as help locating work, job training, assistance with relocation, education on the US laws, etc. In a perfect society, it would be fine. In a realistic society, how should the US fund the refugees?

Another consideration is state vs federal government. Should the money for the refugees come from state budgets or should the federal government pay for some of it? Who are responsible for transporting the refugees?
The people who founded the United States were technically refugees, as they were fleeing tyranny in Britian and bad situations in other countries, so by definition they are refugees (And, side note, I found this article to be pretty ironic-http://reverbpress.com/politics/founding-father-quotes-conservative-christians-will-hate/)

I'm not one for guilt tripping people, and certainly not one for patronizing people who are able to handle themselves, but they, as a group, deserve your sympathy-it's wasn't their fault about ISIS, and how terrible things are back in the Middle East, however. And when conservative media paints them as terrorists, well...

You do have valid points though. The Candian government basically gives pensions to their refugees, but most will live below the poverty line unfortunately (https://news.vice.com/article/most-s...e-poverty-line), but at least they will be in a much safer environment.

As for whether the states or federal government should pay for it, there are already court ruilings and laws in place, as explained in The Refugee Act, under which Syrian refugees are included under the definition. (http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...rian-refugees/)

As for transporting the refugees, there are a variety of options.
1. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-johnston.html
2. https://news.vice.com/article/canada...yrian-refugees
And, of course, some Syrian refugees are able to afford to transport themselves, they just need a place to go.

idk though, your are right that this situation would be much easier in a perfect society, like everything else I suppose.

Closed Thread