TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skewered Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 26th 2016, 04:26 PM

This is something I find sort of interesting, so I would like to read what people here think.

Its important to mention that this is an inconclusive topic, which will definitely show a difference in opinion. Namely because of the abstract and subjective nature of the question I'm posing.

Last edited by arepo; June 26th 2016 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Moving to Current Events & Debates forum. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 26th 2016, 04:59 PM

I'm assuming because you say girl or boy instead of woman or man you are referring to children.

As far as I know, I've been raised as a girl my whole life. I can't tell you what it's like to be a boy, therefore I cannot tell you how difficult it is to live as a boy. From my experience working with kids, I see that girls and boys are taught different things. For example, girls are taught they can't do flips and twirls and things because that would inevitably make their skirt go up (parents keep dressing them in skirts or dresses) or get too messy at the park because their white shoes with rhinestones will get ruined (but the parents would not dress them in sneakers) If you're the kind of girl who enjoys playing at the park, you're going to have a hard time with your fancy dress and princess heels that your parents insist you wear. If you don't like going to the park but enjoy dressing up and trying on makeup but don't like going to the park, that won't necessarily be easier but in some circumstances you may have an easier time getting new nail polish or a barbie doll than a girl wanting a toy car from the boys aisle.

If you're a boy but you enjoy wearing skirts from time to time, or wearing nail polish or necklaces, expect adults to not approve. I had a boy in the daycare who wanted nail polish like the girls had. I convinced the head teacher to allow him to wear orange nail polish :P but we were nervous how the parents would react. He was so happy though.
He also enjoyed taking care of toy dolls. In some daycares though, teachers would take the doll away from the boy and force him to only play with cars and trucks. I can't imagine how hard that must be for a 3 year old. Girls are generally more allowed to play with trucks and cars but probably not as acceptable to learn to ride bikes. But not every child wants to do these things. So I think it depends not just whether you were born male or female but your lived experiences as a male or female, starting from your family, to your school, to your religious temple, to the jobs you're interested in and so on including things like gender identity and gender expression. Not everyone is strictly a girl or strictly a boy, so to speak.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 26th 2016, 07:52 PM

I'd say this question needs to be a little more specific for me to give a definitive answer. I guess I'll just give you some reasons it can suck to be a guy.
If a guy acts even remotely unmasculine, he is called a pussy while a girl might be called a tomboy for acting a little masculine. If you talk about your feelings, you're called a girl. If you can't talk to girls as a guy, you get made fun of and called a bitch. If you're gay, you're called all of the above as well as a faggot.
HYPER-masculinity can trap guys in a box and suffocate them. Masculinity in itself isn't bad, but in America, at least, people go way overboard with masculinity, making it a competition.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 27th 2016, 12:36 AM

I think there are pros and cons to being a girl and a boy. I would say that periods are a downside to being female, but not everyone who gets periods is female, so I'm going to say periods are a downside to people with a vagina. Now there are feminine boys and masculine females, and then there are all the people in between and neither. As you can see, I identify as neither but I present as a female so I'm just going to speak from that. Pros to being a girl is that you can wear dresses and look great, or you can wear suits and look great. Neither would have people think you were 'crossdressing' or something. On the other hand, dresses mean that walking down the road without being catcalled is quite a challenge no matter what the length of the dress is. Now before you say that never happens, trust me, even in my school uniform I have been catcalled most times I am walking home from school just because we have to wear a skirt. It goes to our knees for crying out loud. Anyway, if a girl wears a suit, sometimes they are seen as looking hot in it, and sometimes they are said that they are trying to be a guy or accused of being a lesbian because apparently the stereotype of a lesbian is masculine? Getting off clothes, there is also the gender roles that people place on people. Females are told that they have to be pretty and their role in life is to please men. People tell them to stop dressing slutty even when the only clothes you can get that aren't showing most of your skin is in the men's section or you overheat in summer from wearing jeans and long sleeves because that's apparently the only clothes that aren't slutty. Females have to have that body standard of big boobs, thin waist, big hips, long hair, pretty face. Of course it's totally ridiculous seeing as that is totally impossible for people to even look like. I was even told that I wasn't allowed 'men's' deodorant because it wasn't for females.Then there's all the girls with short hair or want short hair, and are told that girls can't have short hair because it isn't flattering. I know many people that have been told that. There's also the whole no female President thing yet, only one female Australian Prime Minister and she was terrible, females not being able to vote until recently, and the fights for equal rights that females had to go through, like the suffragettes. Of course some of those things were in the past, but they were also fairly recently in the past which a lot of people don't seem to get. Women are still getting paid less, I know of America and Australia but I'm sure there is more.

Now after all that, I'm going to go into guys and their pros and cons. Just to be equal. Guys also have to go through the gender roles, like they are not allowed to be feminine and can't wear dresses or skirts, can't paint their nails, can't have long hair otherwise they are looked at funny although now that is becoming a lot more acceptable than it was. Guys are allowed to be masculine and are seen as the leader in every situation no matter what. People with balls do tend to get kicked there and are a bit more vulnerable there than people with vaginas are. There's also the not being allowed to be the slightest bit feminine or they are called names, not allowed to show emotion otherwise they are weak, have to control the situation. They have body standards as well with having to have muscles otherwise they are a weed. I'm sure there are more but I can't speak as a guy so I can't think of any more.

So basically there are pros and cons for both sexes and I guess it just depends on the situation and the people that live around you.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 27th 2016, 07:25 AM

What an interesting question!
As has said before, obviously I have one sided view, but I think there are definitely hardships for both genders. For girls it's deemed totally acceptable for them to wear whatever they want, however for men it's a lot harder, cross dressing is viewed as odd and I know guys who have has a lot of abuse for it. But obviously girls get periods which is horrible in every sense, and from personal experience I also think going anywhere alone in the evening or night is hard for a girl, because I always feel genuinely concerned for my own safety. Obviously I can't speak for men, but I don't think they have quite the same experience, and I think it's sad that girls can't go out without having that sense of apprehension following them around.
All my personal views, but this is an interesting debate!

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 27th 2016, 10:19 AM

I'd say both. There are things that make being a boy and a girl as equally as hard, however there are certain countries such as areas in the Middle East which have a significant lean to it being harder being a girl than it ever would be for a boy.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Skewered Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 27th 2016, 02:26 PM

Wow, you all raise some interesting points. I don't like to discriminate, but I especially like Riviere's (Sarah's). I didn't consider this topic with respect to anything aside from Western culture. Anyway, now that I've been heard some of your opinions, I feel obliged to have my say in this as well.

Before I go into my perspective, I’d like to restate what I previously said, that this is something with no definite answer and that each individual interpretation will be unique to each person’s experiences’
Well, whether it’s harder to be a girl or a boy depends on the circumstance at hand, but also as Sarah suggested, the cultural context. From a Western context and psychological stand-point, I acknowledge that either gender ‘can’ have it just as tough, but I think, mentally, being a man is a bit more difficult, especially considering how we’re represented as the assertive type of the two genders. It makes you sort of reluctant of what emotions or affection to show at times. If you express ‘too much’ you’ve essentially lowered yourself, because like MichWolverineFreak (Robert) said, masculinity is a competition, whether explicitly or tacitly. But then again, this just one interpretation, from just one of the many perspectives you could take.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 27th 2016, 06:02 PM

Depends where you're growing up, depends on the context.

It's such a huge topic, that that is all I'm prepared to say. The answer isn't simply "it is harder to be a girl". On a global scale, probably yes, it is harder to be a girl. Over half of the planet is undeveloped enough to not have free access to computers and the internet like we do, and that half of the planet tends to poorer, obviously. Poverty = inequality. Inequality = females lose. I'm being very brief, because I think most people are familiar with these things.

And by "context" I mean for example, the presence of war. It is more often men who go to war and get killed.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 27th 2016, 06:04 PM

Define "harder".

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 28th 2016, 09:06 PM

Like others said, there's many factors that comes into play here when it's a question of whether it's harder being a guy or woman. There are some countries and religions around the world where women are basically prisoners with absolutely no rights whatsoever. Women in actual prisons have more rights despite committing crimes, instead of the women who did not commit any crime and are prisoners of their religion or country.

Some parts of the world are very skewered in the view of women, their rights, and who they are as human beings.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 28th 2016, 10:18 PM

This topic is big. We haven't even touched the construct of gender more broadly and differentiated/expanded both on issues surrounding sex (biological differences that cause challenges, such as periods or differences in puberty) to gender (social constructs, oppressions, etc). And then the unique challenges of transgender individuals. I have a lot of thoughts but can't quite construct it without writing pages and pages of a feminist manifesto so I'll spare TeenHelp.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Is it harder to be a girl or a boy? - June 30th 2016, 12:57 AM

Harder to be a guy in my opinion. Not only are girls given the benefit of the doubt more often, but women generally have it much easier when it comes to dating and finding sex partners. Much easier to meet someone at a bar or online if you are a girl. Guys have to initiate everything, but because we can generally get away with less, it can make it confusing as to how to appropriately show interest. You dont want to come off too strong and creep her out, but you have to seem interested, you dont want to come off as some sort of asexual to a girl that you want to hook up with but you cant freak her out either. Not saying that girls dont face the same issues, but guys face them a lot more.Plenty of guys have a lot of trouble with this, much moreso than the other way around.

Closed Thread