TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Black Lives Matter in UK - August 5th 2016, 02:19 PM

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nationwide...094944461.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36982748

This should be America's problem.

I mean seriously... since 500 armed police were deployed just yesterday in response to terror threats, ordinary police in the UK do not even carry fucking guns. What precisely is the purpose of this in the UK? What started out as something supposedly protesting "police shooting black people" in America...

... what's the connection with the UK? Are these people bored? No jobs? What's going on? Nothing else to do during summer holidays?

Can anyone really say what these people are trying to achieve?

Quoting from the article:

Quote:
"We're asking the government to take responsibility, not just to investigate the statistics but to hear the demands of the communities."

And then this:

Quote:
Dr Tony Sewell, from the Youth Justice Board, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that in England and Wales 21% of young men under 18 in custody were black - though black people only made up 4% of the general population. Conversely, he said, 60% of men under 18 in custody were white, when that racial group made up 82% of the population.

And what proportion of crimes do they commit I wonder? What other statistics do we feel like cherry picking when it suits us whilst omitting others? If there was a genuine bias in the statistics showing that blacks where disproportionately arrested relative to their actual crime rates, I don't doubt these people would be all over it already, but they aren't. Silence says a lot sometimes. So I'm not even going to waste time doing research this time.

If BLM in the UK is to go down the same route as it has in the USA, I'd rather not have it over here, even if stats do happen to back them up.

Do I think black people in the UK don't face any racial problems? No, I think they do. Everyone fucking does (yes, even white people). But going all sensationalist/hysterical like they have in the USA... isn't doing black people favors. This does no one any favors. This is precisely the sort of shit which draws the far right into the streets. I'd be very surprised if they haven't started already in fact.

I'd be more supportive if they started a separate movement divorced altogether from American BLM. But I get how this sort of politics works. The UK BLM is just piggy-backing on the supposed "success" of American BLM (what has it actually achieved btw?) to gain more support. But it draws the wrong affiliations. Like the Dallas shooting. Whether or not the shooter acted alone doesn't matter, because plenty supported him. This needs to stop. When a white police officer shoots a black American, lots of people are very quick to say "America is still very racist" (that is 300 million people by the way), yet when a sniper shoots 7 police officers, it apparently "has nothing to do with BLM". Like when Islamic terrorists slit a priests throat (in France) it "has nothing to do with Islam".

For real, what the fvkc. Double standards need to stop, but some people just aren't seeing it at all.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; August 6th 2016 at 02:59 PM.

Closed Thread