TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Marijuana legalisation - August 11th 2016, 05:22 AM

I live in a part of the world where medical and general use is all fully legal. I've had a lot of thoughts about this lately but am curious to hear from others.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Marijuana legalisation - August 11th 2016, 06:05 AM

For personal reasons I'm typically against the use of any drug for recreational purposes, but I am fine with using it for medical reasons because I have seen the difference in can make.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Marijuana legalisation - August 11th 2016, 06:15 AM

My state will be supposedly legalizing medical use in the next month or so, but there are a bunch of restrictions on the ways it can be consumed and you can still get fired or be denied a job if it shows up on a drug test, even with proof that it's for medical reasons. I would actually qualify for it if I wanted, but I don't. It treats my symptoms, not my underlying condition, and with medication, I don't have symptoms to begin with. I'm all for people having access to a drug/medication that works for them. I don't think a little bit of recreational marijuana is reason to give someone a permanent, criminal record, but there would need to be some laws in place for recreational use, like there are with alcohol.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jordan

Re: Marijuana legalisation - August 11th 2016, 11:32 AM

It's a touchy subject cannabis. I'm conflicted as my dad is a cop, he has to uphold the law and therefore cannabisis bad, however there are those suffering from medical issues where weed is the only real thing that helps the pain. I believe over here in the UK that it should be legalised for medical purposes on a prescription, not for recreational use.

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Marijuana legalisation - August 11th 2016, 12:39 PM

Banning anything has never helped shit. Remember how hard drugs were banned and now there's literally no drug issues all around the world?

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Marijuana legalisation - August 11th 2016, 12:42 PM

I believe it should be legal both recreationally and also prescribed medicinally.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Marijuana legalisation - August 11th 2016, 12:56 PM

Seeing as I'm about to go to class with a good buzz, yeah, I definitely think it should be legal. My quality of life has definitely increased since I started smoking.
*This isn't an endorsement for anyone to break their laws and smoke weed, I just happen to live in a place where I would only get a $25 fine for smoking.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Marijuana legalisation - August 11th 2016, 02:29 PM

I get the impression that banning or legalizing such things only serves strategic purposes.

Banning these sorts of things, lowers the public health costs associated with misuse of the substance, assuming there are enough resources (law enforcement) to enforce the ban, which also costs money.

Whereas legalizing these sorts of things, deprives criminals of the money they make from these kinds of substances. This money can instead be taxed. But public health issues relating to misuse of addictive substances would rise, which is always expensive as shit.

All it comes down to, is personal whims. How authoritarian/anarchic people who vote are (which can be influenced and manipulated).

But there are problems which extend further than street gangs and smugglers, public health issues, law enforcement, and taxes. If these sorts of substances are to be legalized on a large scale... are you sure the existing pharmaceutical corporations can be trusted? Because I am sure as hell some of them would fight to take over the business, and grow even bigger from it. This could lead to a chain of causality which nobody can predict, in other words: risk.

The government giving up control and lifting bans, doesn't necessarily mean that control dissipates equally over the population. It may just get passed along to some other entity/organization over which the public has little vote or say.

This sounds conspiratorial, but I'm not actually accusing anyone of anything. I have a vague idea of what some people are capable of, and I don't trust them. That's all.

If it's to be legalized, it needs to be done in small steps, where the consequences can be observed and responded to/controlled incrementally. But whether it should or shouldn't be legalized depends on the culture, times, and people's whims/priorities. I can't think of a single "right" answer here.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; August 11th 2016 at 06:32 PM.

Closed Thread