TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 13th 2016, 06:17 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

https://themighty.com/2016/08/suicide-squad-and-mental-illness-why-this-film-scares-me/

Here's an article written by a person who has Depression and is greatly triggered by the name of the movie, the jokes it contains, the characters, and so on....

Do you think this movie purposely makes fun of mental illnesses?

I disagree. I have mental illnesses, I liked the movie. Its a movie showing people with mental illnesses can still do some good for the world. And other parts show the importance of antipsychotics for those who deal with hallucinations.

But on the other hand, I can totally see where people are coming from and how they are triggered.

Do the creators of Suicide Squad owe everyone with mental illnesses an apology?

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jordan

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 13th 2016, 06:19 PM

People are too easily offended these days. You can't say anything without someone getting upset or 'offended'.

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 13th 2016, 07:16 PM

I have mental illness and I didn't see a problem with the Suicide Squad movie. I don't think they owe everyone with mental illness an apology.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 13th 2016, 07:40 PM

I haven't watched the movie. Maybe I can speak better about it if I had. I think it is okay to be in tension with a movie though. To enjoy something in the media but have criticisms, questions, and see the complications of it and how it isn't perfect. I learned to do that with fairy tales for instance. I love reading Grimm brothers tales but I don't ignore that there's problems with it. Or anything in the media, read, watch, consume but then think and produce ideas and discussions. Having a dynamic approach is a good thing.

I think apologizing would be weird. Apologizing for making a movie? Then what, ban it? I don't really believe in censoring. While her experience is real and has a right to speak, I would be more encouraging that she expresses herself and shares her view. I just think apologizing would do anything. I encourage media literacy over media censoring or banning or apologizing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 13th 2016, 08:03 PM

IT IS JUST A GODAMMIT MOVIE PEOPLE GET TRIGGERED F.CKING FAST

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 13th 2016, 08:07 PM

Remember when we could've jokes without people getting offended about anything?

yeah, those were good times.

People are pathetic. It's a movie, a piece of fucking entertainment.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 13th 2016, 09:23 PM

People need to adapt to their environment, instead of expecting their environment to adapt to them instead.

In other words, some people need to grow a thicker skin, instead of expecting other people to tread on eggshells around them to avoid "offending" others. Irony being in this particular case, that mental illness might just be why some people are so easily offended nowadays.

This is a basic principle of survival. If someone can't accept that, then they're going to suck at life regardless of everything else. It is simply distracting to be constantly personally offended by small things. A waste of time.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 14th 2016, 01:02 AM

Personally, I didn't see mental illness as the punchline in this film and certainly not the focus- backstories aside, the film focuses on the mission at hand, which is not mental illness based
I don't want to say the film isn't triggering because obviously, it upset him and I'm not going to judge his experience. But personally I didn't find it at all triggering, and I think the writer may be misinterpreting the film. He also claims:

Quote:
DC Comics has a spotty history in its approach to mental health case in point: a bestselling Batman video game series in which our hero beats up inmates at a mental asylum
Arkham Asylum? Batman doesn't just walk into a psychiatric hospital and start punching the helpless patients, despite how the writer makes it sound

Take as long as you need.

Last edited by Kindred; August 14th 2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Referred to the writer incorrectly.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 14th 2016, 01:26 AM

I actually loved this movie, however I am not going to degrade a person just because they had a different experience watching the movie from me. People get triggered by different things, what affects one person might seem silly but that doesn't make it any less of a trigger to the person. Being offended and being triggered are two very different things, so lets try not to confuse the two.

Personally I don't think there was anything wrong with it, once you watch the movie the title is actually understood more and it's got a few things in it which could probably be considered offensive if you weren't paying enough attention. However people interpret things differently, so let's not be rude about it.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 14th 2016, 01:46 AM

I have not yet seen the movie, as a warning. However, I don't think the intention was to make of mental illness. I do not think that the creators of the movie should have to apologize, especially since it wasn't their original idea. No one is forcing anyone to see the movie, so if you think it may contain things that trigger you then don't see it. You are responsible for avoiding your triggers whenever possible, the world is not responsible for that. Unfortunately, if just the title of the movie triggers you then I think there needs to be some sort of treatment because for the most part, words are unavoidable. As far as the author of the article seeming to expect movies to not use mental illness, there are tons of other potentially triggering topics that are also used in movies and other media that could be seen as "making light" of serious topics. It happens, and it's important to realize that entertainment is not real life. I think that's an issue with culture and people, not the movies.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 14th 2016, 07:18 PM

I have not seen it, but here's my view of triggering things: Much like the person above me said, if the world adapted to and avoided everyone's triggers it would be impossible to live in. The world can't and won't adapt to your sensitivities. But, I think media does have an overarching responsibility to portray and report on mental illness and other things accurately and respectfully. Do I think the creators owe an apology? No.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#12 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 16th 2016, 01:51 AM

I think making fun of mental illness is wrong especially given the stigma. It's an illness and people usually don't mock illnesses. But, I don't think the point of this movie was to mock mental illness.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 16th 2016, 06:22 PM

I don't think the movie owes anyone an apology. I have dealt with 2 mental illnesses in my life, and was not offended at all. That said, I could see how it'd be triggering to some people, but I think that people need to do research before seeing movies. A movie can portray anything anyway that it wants: it's a movie. It's up to the viewers to determine if its a movie they want to see.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 16th 2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Rye View Post
A movie can portray anything anyway that it wants: it's a movie. It's up to the viewers to determine if its a movie they want to see.
My thoughts exactly.

There are far more controversial, lesser known movies than "Suicide Squad". But people like latching onto the big labels to make a fuss.

Clickbait.

I don't doubt the author of the article suffers mental illness. I don't think he's faking it (in case anyone wants to point the finger at me). Some people do fake things like this, for whatever dysfunctional reasons. I don't think it's a joke. But, he says "
I don’t take issue with these things on the basis of political correctness", yet the entire article follows the same rhetorical trends as many articles do which posses political undertones. He talks about stereotypes, social media trends, and a bunch of identity politics, etc. I'd rather not go through the effort of pulling out all the various details.

I've got an Asperger's diagnosis. I don't get "offended" every time "Big Bang Theory" runs on TV and people take this piss out of Sheldon Cooper. It's funny. Funny as fuck actually.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; August 17th 2016 at 08:08 AM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Thor Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 29th 2016, 04:38 AM

A movie is for entertainment not to be serious in daily lives

Send a message via AIM to Thor  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Rez Offline
2spooky4u
Not a n00b

Name: Simon

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 29th 2016, 05:10 AM

See, this is the kind of shit that annoys me. People get offended by everything. It's seems to me like people these days actually look and put effort into getting offended by stuff. You used "white" when describing an object? Why not "black"? Are you racist? Geez, I don't know... maybe because tHE FUCKING OBJECT IS WHITE.

The same thing goes with everything. People assume the world is about them; if there's something that exists that they don't agree with, then it's obviously offensive and shouldn't exist.

People annoy me.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Brooke
Not a n00b

Name: Brooke

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 29th 2016, 03:40 PM

i havent seen it im not offended but the title turned me off to be honest, one not into make believe or anything anyway though except alvin and the chipmunks and finding nemo

(#18 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - August 29th 2016, 05:17 PM

Every time I think to myself, "people are too easily offended nowadays", I remind myself that back in the 50s, people got offended by other people drinking out of "their" water fountain. People have always been like this, I feel like, but with the internet and news entertainment, now those feelings are plastered everywhere for people to see.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Insomniac Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ash

Re: Suicide Squad movie pokes fun at people with Mental Illnesses? - September 7th 2016, 10:27 AM

Honestly I don't really see the problem with this movie. One, the main focus of the movie had nothing to do with mental illnesses and two, it's a movie, if someone thinks it's triggering/mocking/offensive then they don't have to watch it. Maybe I'm being too harsh but I fail to see the problem with this movie, perhaps someone that is against the movie can shed some light on the subject?

-Ash

Closed Thread