TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 9th 2016, 08:01 AM

I'm making this thread, out of curiosity. I want to try and figure out in detail, what people's fears regarding Trump are.

This is a very hot/sensitive topic, so to keep this on track let's try and stick to a few rules:
1. Try to limit your opinions, in other words, provide some evidence of your assertions. Assume your readers are stupid/ignorant blockheads, so speak clearly.
2. Expect criticism.
3. Keep criticism reasonable.
4. Pls keep insults to a minimum. Don't personally attack someone simply for being conservative, don't personally attacks someone simply for being liberal.
5. Stay on topic

Part of the inspiration for this thread, is the other thread on the election, where I've heard things such as Trump threatening disability students, etc. (I haven't heard of yet). So, let's do this.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 9th 2016, 10:59 AM

I openly welcome anyone who wants to prove everything I'm worried about wrong, with reliable evidence.

Right now my biggest concern is Trump, with the help of the now Republican controlled US Government, repealing Obama Care (even if he does come up with a better/different system, because that takes time). If he repeals it, I'll be kicked off my parents insurance. Once I'm kicked off it will be legal for insurance companies to deny me based on my preexisting conditions. It would also mean birth control is no longer covered, which is something else I need for medical reasons. Without insurance one medicine I need to function is anywhere between $5,000-$10,000 a month. A month. For ONE of my medicines. It's the only decent treatment for my condition. Even $60,000 a year is more than my potential salary as a teacher. Without my medicine I can't work, or drive. I won't die without it, but I certainly won't be living either. While it's already difficult to get on any sort of disability with my condition, I don't doubt it will be even harder with Trump as president.

I'm also concerned he'll outlaw abortion. At the third debate he stated “If you go with what Hillary is saying, in the ninth month, you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb of the mother just prior to the birth of the baby,” it concerns me that he doesn't understand the difference between a C-section and a late term abortion. There is no such thing as a ninth month abortion. I don't feel he actually knows enough about it to make an informed decision.

He's also been very open about disliking immigrants and wanting to get rid of them. My dad is here legally and has been for pretty much 30 years, but he's not a citizen. The thought of him being deported scares me, though he wouldn't be going back to somewhere as bad as some people. I have other family who are also from other countries but here legally.

Republicans now have majority for pretty much everything and I'm also concerned there's going to be more rape cases that get off the hook. At least, if they're committed by rich white boys like Brock Turner. There's a lot of issues going to court that I think won't get actual justice.

I'm also afraid of what the rest of the world is going to do in response. I can see this starting a war, whether it be WW3, nuclear war, or even another Civil War. There's going to be a lot more violence now, and yes, I think a lot of it is going to come from supporters of other candidates who protest. I think that would have happened regardless of who won.

More than anything Donald Trump manages to do in office, what fucking terrifies me is the number of people in this country who agree with things he's said. The number of people who think it's okay to "grab her by the pussy" just because you can. The number of people who have so much hatred for people of a different religion, class, race, ethnicity, gender, etc. It's not so much Donald Trump himself that makes me feel incredibly unsafe, it's the number of people who passionately agree with the hate filled things he's said. I'm afraid of more Pulse situations. Orlando was the first place I really called home. I've seen nothing but gun loving and gay hating people for Trump, personally. I'm not saying every Trump supporter is like that, but the ones I've seen on my own Facebook and in my own area are.

On the bright side, the South Park episode tonight is probably going to be amazing.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 9th 2016, 03:45 PM

I second everything that the user above me had said.

Also

I don't feel like getting into this much but I just want to mention two things briefly.

1. To clarify the disability thing. Trump mocked news reporters with physical disabilities. Which he then denied. He further called Veterans living with PTSD as weak. He wants to repeal Obamacare which specifically attacks those with health conditions that may or may not be in the form of disabilities. This includes chronic medical conditions but also lifelong conditions like autism, or mental illness. He also complained about how much money goes for disability income. I don't recall him specifically saying anything about policy but who knows.

2. I just want to point two things.
a) First is that a lot of people were undecided, voted third party, added their own candidate on the ballot, or did not vote. There were also those who voted for the lesser of two evils. Which is to say that, racism, sexism, bigotry etc was not the only motivation to vote for Trump. If we combined the people who voted third party, didnt like either main candidate, didnt vote or added in their own, we get a whole lot of people who feel helpless and trapped. If the media took the time cover the multiple reasons people might have voted for Trump, we might have a better understanding of those people, that they just are as fed up as the ones who thought Hillary was the lesser of two evils. The only ones who I am mad at are the ones who very strongly support Trump or very strongly support Hillary.
b) Back to the media. The media portrayed as Trump to be evil and Hillary to be progressive towards positive change. It was almost like a collective hysteria, with Trump as the big bad wolf with unknown unimaginable potential for destruction and people's minds went fear fear fear or omg it's Hitler's reincarnation and ran in the other direction towards Hillary.
Meanwhile, people who chose Trump went better to seek the unimaginable then continue making the same mistakes with Hillary.
I said before that the media portrays Trump as backwards and a clown while Hillary represents possibilities for change and the chance to keep her accountable. With Trump, he seemed uncontrollable and unstoppable. But there's also an almost opposite notion going on too. It's that Hillary represents same old, corruption, banks, wall street, lies, wars etc and Trump represents the unimaginable for not only destruction but including some strange sense of hope.Since he is anti-establishment, this got people who want change voting for him, whether it was change in either left-wing or right-wing directions.

If we took the emotional motivation for the people's decisions rather than the decisions themselves we would probably be more united?

I just lost hope in voting as a form of participation in politics long ago. I did vote, but I do not blame those who didn't. I want to point out that not voting does not equate to apathy. Like I said in a previous thread, we all had to cope in our own ways. What it means for me, is that I am dedicated to making change outside of voting, more than ever now. It's something that I have felt for a long time but now there's the urgency to get involved and find more effective means of participation and engagement in politics.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 9th 2016, 06:06 PM

I won't add to much. I hope.

I just want to say that I am not American, nor do I live in the USA. But if I did, I am a woman so I would be affected by the sheer level of sexism I think this will unleash (cause, you know, sexism wasn't bad enough already?)

Any ways, because I don't live in the US, I have the privilege of not being directly affected (unless his presidency hurts the global economy or starts a massive war) BUT I do have a lot of American friends, many who are woman, POC, LGBTQ+, immigrants (or the children of immigrants), poor, etc and this election has made them feel unsafe and very afraid for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. I am afraid of them; I am afraid of how much worse it'll get for them.

Did you know that Canada's immigration website crashed yesterday? I know that leaving the US isn't the solution and it isn't even a viable option for many many vulnerable people, but I don't blame them, I'd be terrified too.

I'm just so scared and I am just so devasted by the hatred and intolerance that people hold in their hearts that allowed Trump to win. I am honestly so upset and scared for my friends. I don't understand how people hear someone like Trump lie his face off, know he's frauldulent in his taxes, he's being prosecuted (or in some other legal-straights) for assaulting a young girl, that he's actually bragged about sexual assault, dissed the family of a dead soldier, is anti-gay, anti-trans, anti-abortion, and basically wants to privilege white, heterosexual cisgendered Christian men above everyone else. Unless you have a significant amount of privilege (meaning you can still be a woman and could possibly be somewhat safe in his America, for example) you're in so much trouble. How can people hear all that stuff and STILL be like "what a great man for president!!!!"

It's not even like I loved Hilary; she had her faults too BUT her faults were totally within the realm of "eh, not awesome but better than the alternate" and she had a few good things going for her BUT I can't think of 1 good thing about Trump besides "well, maybe he'll just be really useless and won't get anything done". I think that people are feeling really disenchanted by the American political system but the way to fix it wasn't to elect Trump. Like I want to start crying just by typing all of this; it's hard to really convey how much this election is hurting me, especially since I don't live there so ok, but it's painful to see and heartbreaking.

I started crying last night when I was seeing the votes come in. I've NEVER felt more terrified and distraught by something like this in my life (I have an anxiety disorder, but that's a whole other thing and is never usually related to stuff like this. It's horrible and I know that these feelings are so much worse for people I know who live in the USA and will be directly affected

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 9th 2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
I won't add to much. I hope.

I just want to say that I am not American, nor do I live in the USA. But if I did, I am a woman so I would be affected by the sheer level of sexism I think this will unleash (cause, you know, sexism wasn't bad enough already?)

Any ways, because I don't live in the US, I have the privilege of not being directly affected (unless his presidency hurts the global economy or starts a massive war) BUT I do have a lot of American friends, many who are woman, POC, LGBTQ+, immigrants (or the children of immigrants), poor, etc and this election has made them feel unsafe and very afraid for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. I am afraid of them; I am afraid of how much worse it'll get for them.

Did you know that Canada's immigration website crashed yesterday? I know that leaving the US isn't the solution and it isn't even a viable option for many many vulnerable people, but I don't blame them, I'd be terrified too.

I'm just so scared and I am just so devasted by the hatred and intolerance that people hold in their hearts that allowed Trump to win. I am honestly so upset and scared for my friends. I don't understand how people hear someone like Trump lie his face off, know he's frauldulent in his taxes, he's being prosecuted (or in some other legal-straights) for assaulting a young girl, that he's actually bragged about sexual assault, dissed the family of a dead soldier, is anti-gay, anti-trans, anti-abortion, and basically wants to privilege white, heterosexual cisgendered Christian men above everyone else. Unless you have a significant amount of privilege (meaning you can still be a woman and could possibly be somewhat safe in his America, for example) you're in so much trouble. How can people hear all that stuff and STILL be like "what a great man for president!!!!"

It's not even like I loved Hilary; she had her faults too BUT her faults were totally within the realm of "eh, not awesome but better than the alternate" and she had a few good things going for her BUT I can't think of 1 good thing about Trump besides "well, maybe he'll just be really useless and won't get anything done". I think that people are feeling really disenchanted by the American political system but the way to fix it wasn't to elect Trump. Like I want to start crying just by typing all of this; it's hard to really convey how much this election is hurting me, especially since I don't live there so ok, but it's painful to see and heartbreaking.

I started crying last night when I was seeing the votes come in. I've NEVER felt more terrified and distraught by something like this in my life (I have an anxiety disorder, but that's a whole other thing and is never usually related to stuff like this. It's horrible and I know that these feelings are so much worse for people I know who live in the USA and will be directly affected
I live in the USA and I am pretty much a target in almost every way (person of color, lgbtq, woman, not Christian, poor, living with mental illness, child of an immigrant etc) I have friends and family who are so scared and in shock right now. I am so scared and worried. All I've been doing is telling my family and friends that I love them. Everything you said is so true

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 10th 2016, 06:29 AM

It's not really a fear, but I think the main "consequence" is that WW3 has been delayed.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 10th 2016, 09:44 PM

If you want to know what the consequences are, look who's advising him. Mike Pence. Rudy Giuliani. Proxy white nationalist Steve Bannon. All his oil friends who will advise him on energy. His neocon friends who wanted to go to war with Iran years ago. I even crossed a headline saying he was considering Sarah Palin for a cabinet position (shoot me). He doesn't HAVE any ideas except for the wall and deportation. He flipped to varying degrees on every idea during the election. So I don't know what to expect from Trump himself, but I do know what his idiot advisors think, and its not good.
And I'll actually acknowledge that Hillary might have thrown us into a war with Russia. She's a war hawk and Putin doesn't like her. On the other hand, if Trump pulls out of NATO, watch out, former soviet satellite states. It's gonna be rough.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 10th 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
On the other hand, if Trump pulls out of NATO, watch out, former soviet satellite states. It's gonna be rough.
Correct me if I'm wrong... but what Trump actually wanted is for other NATO members to contribute more. Maybe he threatened with pulling out if they didn't (I don't know if he did, but it wouldn't surprise me coming from him), but that still isn't the same as saying he will pull out of NATO.

Now, what I'm about to say is speculative... but America's military budget is massive. Larger than any damn country on Earth by magnitudes. We've already taken the hint that Trump wants to reduce government spending. If you want to reduce government spending in America, I'm guessing the military has a big target on it's back. But reducing military spending doesn't appeal to traditional republicans, so I don't imagine Trump would speak his mind about this. I feels like instead he wants other NATO members to contribute more, so that perhaps America can more safely reduce it's military budget?

Like I said, speculative.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 10th 2016, 10:51 PM

Tax reform is a big one: Usually when republicans deal with taxes they implement things that screw over the poor and middle class. So, there's that.

Then all the stuff that Pence and Trump want to do with LGBT issues. He wants to appoint a conservative supreme court which would work to try and over turn Roe v Wade and Gay marriage ruling.

Trump and his team also wants to make it possible to discriminate against LGBT people for religious reasons. I don't think my friends or myself will be greatly impacted by this since we live in a very liberal state but there are a lot of states that are not liberal and companies would jump at the chance to do this. Basically every thing Obama did in regards to LGBT rights they want to repeal. They want to take us back to the 100's.

So apparently Trumps tax plan does help the top 1%. Figures as much. Help the rich and screw over the poor and middle class.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; November 11th 2016 at 01:04 AM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 10th 2016, 11:43 PM

If I recall correctly, he wanted NATO members to pay us to be there. I'm not sure if he wanted us to be fully reimbursed or not, but I think his threat was to pull out.
However, his "first 100 days" paper said he was going to restore our "depleted" military. GODDAMMIT, we do NOT have a depleted military! We have an oversized military with too many interests. Anybody with eyes can see that. Increasing the size of the military... Maybe you should pay them a reasonable wage first? With real benefits? He said he was gonna help out veterans, which is terrific, but we'll see.
A war with Russia, from a strictly academic standpoint, would be really interesting. From everything I've read, Russia's military is built mainly for defense (aside from their nukes) while the US is built to just unload on people, wherever they are. Another thing though is that Russia's hackers are lightyears ahead of the United States' hackers. I've heard that's probably because they take the best, even if they have a record or fail drug tests, while the US only wants people with squeaky clean records... the CIA sent me an email a couple of years ago offering an internship or job or something, and the requirement was that I couldn't have weed in my system for about a year. Screw that, the most brilliant person I've ever met does a ton of drugs and his psyche is... unstable? Yeah, he's unstable. Despite the drugs, his intelligence is out of this world. But yeah, the US should win, even if China and North Korea also attacked. We have enough nuclear deterrents that I wouldn't worry. The carnage would be nearly apocalyptic though.
How did I get on this topic?

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 11th 2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
Tax reform is a big one: Usually when republicans deal with taxes they implement things that screw over the poor and middle class. So, there's that.
This is what is ironic about everything, at the moment. The economics of left wing, and right wing can be summarized this way:

Right wing = wealth creation
Left wing = wealth redistribution

If you think about it in the most extreme terms, you should see why that is true. Extreme capitalists just want to make more money, and care about no one. Extreme socialists just want the underprivileged to be taken better care of.

However, despite "the left" being in power, the rich/poor divide has grown even further. So... recent exit polls showed that Trump support among low income earners has grown a lot.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 11th 2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
If I recall correctly, he wanted NATO members to pay us to be there.
Wouldn't surprise me either. I'm still scratching my head about Mexico paying for the wall.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 11th 2016, 04:05 PM

What I am most terrified of is his denial of climate change, and that Myron Ebell may take over the EPA. This is not good. The racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc. is all terrible. It's awful. But lets be aware of the fact that those things, and anything else, won't exist in a world where our rate of climate change increases. This should have been the focal point of this election, yet it wasn't.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#14 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 11th 2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Rye View Post
What I am most terrified of is his denial of climate change, and that Myron Ebell may take over the EPA. This is not good. The racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc. is all terrible. It's awful. But lets be aware of the fact that those things, and anything else, won't exist in a world where our rate of climate change increases. This should have been the focal point of this election, yet it wasn't.

I meant to mention this. He wants to cut funding to the UN for climate change or something like that and redistribute it to fix our water. He also doesn't believe in solar and wants to start using coal.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 11th 2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
This is what is ironic about everything, at the moment. The economics of left wing, and right wing can be summarized this way:

Right wing = wealth creation
Left wing = wealth redistribution

If you think about it in the most extreme terms, you should see why that is true. Extreme capitalists just want to make more money, and care about no one. Extreme socialists just want the underprivileged to be taken better care of.

However, despite "the left" being in power, the rich/poor divide has grown even further. So... recent exit polls showed that Trump support among low income earners has grown a lot.

We're the wealthiest country in the history of the entire world. We don't need more wealth creation, thats the thing. And as for the supposed left, the corporate Democrats, they're weaklings. Pussies. They're payed off by their donors to lay down at the first sign of a fight so the Republicans can lay down their right wing policies. Then they whine about the Republicans doing what politicians are supposed to do. But that's the problem. People thought the Democrats were the liberals, but they sucked so bad at it that nobody even knows what liberal means, so they think liberals are the bad guys.

As for Trump's stance on the environment, we have every reason to be terrified. As well as his EPA choice, he has oil tycoons lined up for the Department of Energy and... oh dear God, just kill me now. SARAH PALIN, THAT SARAH PALIN, SARAH IQ-OF-FOUR-AND-A-HALF PALIN, a on a short list for SECRETARY OF INTERIOR.
We are literally on track to destroy the world.

Oh yeah, check this out for a WW3 scenario: Russia called for normalizing relations with the US immediately after Trump won. Britain called for Brexit, signaling an alt-right shift in politics. France has that freaking Le Pen gaining popularity, signaling an alt-right shift as well. Isreal is essentially a US outpost. China is allies with Russia, and Russia is likely at a standstill in eastern Europe until the US changes its policy. Say Russia invades Eastern Europe. The most powerful countries left on the other side are Germany, Italy... and Japan. We might be walking into World War 3 backwards.

Last edited by MWF; November 11th 2016 at 05:05 PM.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 11th 2016, 09:34 PM

Theres an option to impeach Trump. The professor who predicted Trump will win also predicted Trump will be impeached. But if Congress impeaches Trump, Trump's VP Pence will become the president. That's terrifying. I don't know which is worse.

PS: I keep seeing people saying that the only thing Hillary has against her are the emails and that "who cares about emails?" Well there's a lot more to it than that. There's something called Secretary of State and she has a lot of blood on her hands.

I know people like binaries. We want to think there was a lesser of two evils. I just accepted that there isn't a lesser. I would have been terrified either way because it goes beyond a single person. There seems to be a global wave of fascism sweeping countries worldwide.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 11th 2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I meant to mention this. He wants to cut funding to the UN for climate change or something like that and redistribute it to fix our water. He also doesn't believe in solar and wants to start using coal.
I had read that Trump doesn't believe in climate change. Didn't know he wanted to start using coal though. I was thinking with the whole 'make America great again' and wanting to make more jobs for America, that would require hefty taxes on imported things, stop importing things or trying to revive mining and factories. Not only is coal bad for the climate, but mining is dangerous, unless they're able to use robots rather than humans...which defeats the point of bringing jobs back. I don't really get how he doesn't believe in solar power

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 11th 2016, 11:54 PM

Well, I didn't ever believe I'd be the one to say this, especially considering all of the apocalyptic stuff I've left on this site, but even though he isn't the president yet... he doesn't appear to be doing a bad job. He said he isn't going to repeal Obamacare (he says he'll 'amend' it), and the heavily conservative blog Red State is throwing a fit because he has a trillion dollar plan to fix the country's infrastructure. We NEED that. And if you're being criticized for your economics on Red State, that is a legitimately good thing because their economics are like opposite day over there. And as a comparison, Hillary's infrastructure plan was for 235 billion. Those are unskilled jobs, which would be especially good for poor people. I don't really know what to say. I feel like I'm in a bizarro world, because those are both good ideas. Maybe he'll keep surprising me.
Another thing... has anybody noticed his body language? He doesn't even look like he WANTS the job. He's moping around, everywhere he goes. He's not smiling, ever. And he did EVERYTHING he could to lose that election. Opponent has a scandal? Insult a Muslim family. The Pulse nightclub gets shot up? Say 'I told you so'. And so far, he's filling his transition team with Washington insiders, which is WAY better than the alt-right filth he was carrying with him through the primary. I'm starting to feel like he just wants to keep stability and then get out.
I don't know. This world is crazy now. I've been wearing a tin-foil hat for the last few days, upping my phone and internet privacy to ridiculously paranoid levels. What I'm trying to say though is, we might be ok. Let's back away from the ledge for a while. I know his rhetoric during the election was horrifying, and its caused a TON of hate crimes, but if I'm right and he doesnt actually want this job, he might just be trying to hold stability and not be known as the one who destroyed America. He might even become more inclusive so he doesn't cause massive protests. He might even tell his sheep to stop the hate crimes.
I was the one going crazy throughout this entire thread about how we're all gonna die. ME. Seriously, look at my posts. I was actually warned, in the other PG 13 politics thread, about my language. I was really freaking out. But seriously... Let's try to stay calm. He isn't even the president yet. Maybe this won't be so bad. I don't imagine things will be GOOD... He's shown epic incompetence at various points in his business career... but maybe he wont be as bad as the near apocalyptic levels I envisioned. I guess we'll see.
I'm gonna post this in the other thread too, I feel like its worth saying.

Seriously, look at the pictures in this article. He looks like he's headed to the gallows. Melania doesn't look happy either.
MIKE PENCE, on the other hand, looks positively gleeful at the prospect of starting the conversion camps.
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/don...-do-1788862854

Last edited by MWF; November 12th 2016 at 12:50 AM.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 15th 2016, 04:58 AM

Aaaaand we're back, looking forward to a genuinely shitty government again. Apparently Trump had no idea of the magnitude of the job when he was talking to Obama. If I'm right, and he doesn't want the job, then he'll delegate a lot of duties to his cabinet. And as expected, his cabinet sucks ass so far. He chose Steve Bannon as Chief Strategist, and he used to run Breitbart, a self-proclaimed alt right news organization. And OH MY GOD this guy sucks. He treats everyone who isn't a white straight male like absolute garbage. He hates immigrants, he hates Jews, he hates feminists (and condescends towards women in general), he hates gays, he used to have a 'black crime' tag on his website, and he hired one of the worst human beings of all time onto Breitbart, Milo Yianopolis. Thing is, if Trump isn't enjoying the job like I assume he won't, he will regulate policymaking to his advisors, including Bannon. That sucks.
It started out alright, but it doesnt look good right now. The alt-right is full of monsters and they shouldn't be anywhere near the white house.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Adam

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 16th 2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Rye View Post
What I am most terrified of is his denial of climate change, and that Myron Ebell may take over the EPA. This is not good.
I'm seeing a lot of people worried about the environment. And I won't lie, Trump's stance isn't going to help things and he might set it back. HOWEVER, there is nothing apocalyptic that can happen in 4 years. I'm an old guy - I remember Al Gore running for President based around climate change. That was a time when not many in the country would listen to him. Climate change is like "smoking is bad for you" that became an obvious during my lifetime, it's only fairly recently that people started paying attention to it.

There might be a setback, however nothing is going to become apocalyptic due to Trump alone. That's because the Earth is so many years old. Four years seems like a long time when you're young (even at 25 it felt long), but the older you get the faster four years pass. I'm sure in 10 years for me it will literally feel like the blink of an eye. If four years feels that way to people? It goes by even faster for the Earth. Thus, while it would be a setback - Trump doesn't have that much power because in the end he truly is only a blip on the radar.

He could lead to a setback. But, with that most people believe in climate change in the US now so I doubt people will stop caring because Trump doesn't. It's mentioned a lot now more out of a reflection on Trump than apocalyptic fears. It's like if a President said "smoking isn't bad for you." As said, 4 years feels long when you're young, but the older you start to feel how short of a time that is. And that's only for people with 100 year hopefully lifespans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
How can people hear all that stuff and STILL be like "what a great man for president!!!!"
Basically taking advantage of people, brainwashing to a degree. I don't know how to say this in the right way, because there's a lot more to this. That was even discussed on Bill Maher. Green Day (youtube "Green Day Donald Trump Interview On Been Elected President") puts it in a way that I think is the best way to put it on here because it could be triggering. If anyone wants to read more up on fascism, that can shed more of a light on it. What he did was really despicable and old school tactics at that. He victimized everyone since he got through by manipulating the fears people had and promised change, which alt-right groups are known for.

Last edited by Equality_Believer; November 16th 2016 at 07:06 AM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 16th 2016, 02:08 PM

I really don't think you guys should be freaking out about trump being president. First off, someone said that when republicans are in office that it screws over the middle class, Hillary's tax plan screwed over the middle class, Obamacare has screwed over the middle class, I can go on and on. What I'm saying is, democrats tend to want to make the poor people have more money by raising taxes. But they don't think about what that means for everyone else. Trump said that gay marriage is done and he won't look to repeal it. The "discrimination laws" aren't discriminatory if you make them clear. The purpose of them is if, in a scenario where a pastor or some sort of very religious individual who has a company that provides service for events such as weddings, believes that gay marriage is against their beliefs, they are allowed to refuse providing service to that wedding on religious beliefs. That goes for christians, Jews, Muslims, mormons, hell, even scientilogists. The law must be made clear though, or else I'm sure it can be abused. A lot of people say that Trump is agianst imgrants. I have never heard him say something against LEGAL immigrants. He doesent want people coming in illegally without any documents, or record of them being here. He even said that there are millions of legal immigrants who deserve to be here but can't because of all the illegal people coming in. Also, illegal immigrants will work for way cheaper and put up with a lot of crap at work. This means, less jobs for American citizens who are struggling financially and need a job quick. That's a bad thing right. My grandfather is an immigrant so I know how important that is. But he had to come over the legal way waiting for years, and when he applied for citizenship, they forced him in the military before he even became one. How is it fair that there are people coming in without any wait, staying here, and taking jobs from Americans. Especially when people like my grandfather have to wait an eternity. Obama care will be appealed and replaced. The gentleman above who states he will amend it is incorrect. Trump said that he will look to keep certain aspects of it, such a as staying on your parents plan until your 26, and things of that nature. That is a good thing for everyone. Obamacare premiums keep going up and in Manny areas, there is only on insurance option. This means that insurance companies can spike up prices and have a monopoly. So trump on healthcare is not bad. Also, saying trump hates women because he wants to get rid of birth control is ridiculous. First off, he doesent want to get rid of birth control. He wants to defund planned parenthood( I have no opinion on that), and make it so Obamacare may not cover birth control. Not the end of the world. Birth control is not really a NEED. I know that it can be helpful, but a pack of condoms from 7/11 isn't gonna kill you. And condoms have a much higher rate of working when used correctly. All in all, don't worry about trump, at least give him a chance.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 16th 2016, 02:08 PM

I also never supported trump. Didn't really like him tbh

(#23 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 16th 2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernManiac3 View Post
I really don't think you guys should be freaking out about trump being president. First off, someone said that when republicans are in office that it screws over the middle class, Hillary's tax plan screwed over the middle class, Obamacare has screwed over the middle class, I can go on and on. What I'm saying is, democrats tend to want to make the poor people have more money by raising taxes. But they don't think about what that means for everyone else. Trump said that gay marriage is done and he won't look to repeal it. The "discrimination laws" aren't discriminatory if you make them clear. The purpose of them is if, in a scenario where a pastor or some sort of very religious individual who has a company that provides service for events such as weddings, believes that gay marriage is against their beliefs, they are allowed to refuse providing service to that wedding on religious beliefs. That goes for christians, Jews, Muslims, mormons, hell, even scientilogists. The law must be made clear though, or else I'm sure it can be abused. A lot of people say that Trump is agianst imgrants. I have never heard him say something against LEGAL immigrants. He doesent want people coming in illegally without any documents, or record of them being here. He even said that there are millions of legal immigrants who deserve to be here but can't because of all the illegal people coming in. Also, illegal immigrants will work for way cheaper and put up with a lot of crap at work. This means, less jobs for American citizens who are struggling financially and need a job quick. That's a bad thing right. My grandfather is an immigrant so I know how important that is. But he had to come over the legal way waiting for years, and when he applied for citizenship, they forced him in the military before he even became one. How is it fair that there are people coming in without any wait, staying here, and taking jobs from Americans. Especially when people like my grandfather have to wait an eternity. Obama care will be appealed and replaced. The gentleman above who states he will amend it is incorrect. Trump said that he will look to keep certain aspects of it, such a as staying on your parents plan until your 26, and things of that nature. That is a good thing for everyone. Obamacare premiums keep going up and in Manny areas, there is only on insurance option. This means that insurance companies can spike up prices and have a monopoly. So trump on healthcare is not bad. Also, saying trump hates women because he wants to get rid of birth control is ridiculous. First off, he doesent want to get rid of birth control. He wants to defund planned parenthood( I have no opinion on that), and make it so Obamacare may not cover birth control. Not the end of the world. Birth control is not really a NEED. I know that it can be helpful, but a pack of condoms from 7/11 isn't gonna kill you. And condoms have a much higher rate of working when used correctly. All in all, don't worry about trump, at least give him a chance.
Actually the article I read and posted in another thread stayed that trump wants to sign a bill to discriminate against LGBT in the workplace, in housing and in Healthcare. It has little to do with a bakery denying services based on religious beliefs.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
BayernManiac3 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 16th 2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Actually the article I read and posted in another thread stayed that trump wants to sign a bill to discriminate against LGBT in the workplace, in housing and in Healthcare. It has little to do with a bakery denying services based on religious beliefs.
If you couldn't understand that was a specific example I was using where that law would be applicable, then I'm sorry I didn't make that clear enough. This is the summary of the bill from the official website from congress.

"Shown Here:
Introduced in House (06/17/2015)

First Amendment Defense Act

Prohibits the federal government from taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.

Defines "discriminatory action" as any federal government action to discriminate against a person with such beliefs or convictions, including a federal government action to:

alter the federal tax treatment of, cause any tax, penalty, or payment to be assessed against, or deny, delay, or revoke certain tax exemptions of any such person;
disallow a deduction of any charitable contribution made to or by such person;
withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any federal grant, contract, subcontract, cooperative agreement, loan, license, certification, accreditation, employment, or similar position or status from or to such person; or
withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any benefit under a federal benefit program.
Requires the federal government to consider to be accredited, licensed, or certified for purposes of federal law any person who would be accredited, licensed, or certified for such purposes but for a determination that the person believes or acts in accordance with such a religious belief or moral conviction.

Permits a person to assert an actual or threatened violation of this Act as a claim or defense in a judicial or administrative proceeding and to obtain compensatory damages or other appropriate relief against the federal government.

Authorizes the Attorney General to bring an action to enforce this Act against the Government Accountability Office or an establishment in the executive branch, other than the U.S. Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, that is not an executive department, military department, or government corporation.

Defines "person" as any person regardless of religious affiliation, including corporations and other entities regardless of for-profit or nonprofit status."

It actually seems to make sure true discrimination can't happen. At least on a federal level. It's called FADA (First Amendment Defense Act)

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 16th 2016, 07:05 PM

While it is scary to have Trump and Pence in the White House. It's also important to note how these LGBT equality rights came about. It wasn't solely Obama. I was, proudly, on the front lines of this actually in Los Angeles before it became legalized. What sparked the change was the people, the country uniting. If Trump ever goes too far against the people, he will either risk getting impeached or he will deal with a heck of a lot of protests and rioters. His hands are basically tied even if he wanted to.

As per Pence. I've read fears that said he will seek to round up LGBTQ people and subject them to conversion therapy and that he'll keep a record by spying on people's social media to keep a list. That would absolutely never happen. It would be a huge violation of people's rights on multiple fronts that no one would ever get behind because it would set a dangerous precedent saying the President and his staff can use gathered information against ALL people if they didn't follow his beliefs, which would lead to automatic impeachment - that's just playing with fire that could create a really scary looking future for all people. Two, the notion of rounding people up would spark a civil war - to which the government would have very few soldiers willing to fight for that. Those who have heard this, it's just jerks scaring people. It's something that can never happen in this country, the people are a lot different today than those who elected Hitler as the protests have readily shown and demonstrated and that's just the election. The worst thing that can happen is civil war, but again I have no doubt Trump would get impeached if he ever did something that could cause a civil war.

In short, although it is scary. You can rest assured that there will be no concentration camps or mass round ups. If there were, Trump would be impeached in a heartbeat because a major civil war would break out in this day and age.

Last edited by Equality_Believer; November 16th 2016 at 07:48 PM.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 18th 2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equality_Believer View Post
As per Pence. I've read fears that said he will seek to round up LGBTQ people and subject them to conversion therapy and that he'll keep a record by spying on people's social media to keep a list. That would absolutely never happen. It would be a huge violation of people's rights on multiple fronts that no one would ever get behind because it would set a dangerous precedent saying the President and his staff can use gathered information against ALL people if they didn't follow his beliefs, which would lead to automatic impeachment - that's just playing with fire that could create a really scary looking future for all people. Two, the notion of rounding people up would spark a civil war - to which the government would have very few soldiers willing to fight for that. Those who have heard this, it's just jerks scaring people. It's something that can never happen in this country, the people are a lot different today than those who elected Hitler as the protests have readily shown and demonstrated and that's just the election. The worst thing that can happen is civil war, but again I have no doubt Trump would get impeached if he ever did something that could cause a civil war.

In short, although it is scary. You can rest assured that there will be no concentration camps or mass round ups. If there were, Trump would be impeached in a heartbeat because a major civil war would break out in this day and age.
I'm fairly certain that was just me, at least on this site. But we're not talking about your average educated politicians, who know exactly what NOT to do, we're talking about Trump, who has so far filled his transition team with idiotic conspiracy theorists. There isn't any logic left with these guys. One of them being considered, who was the author of the news site "World News Daily", actually believed that Obama was a member of the "Muslim Brotherhood" and was fighting "with ISIS". And then there are anti-Semitic Steve Bannon and Michael Flynn, both conspiracy theorists. And Goddammit, Michael Pence, who thinks discrimination is ok. If they're gonna throw all logic out the window, I have no problem doing the same until they prove to be alright.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 19th 2016, 04:01 AM

I'm mostly worried about his denial about climate change and mostly of his views and the consequences of it.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 20th 2016, 04:10 AM

i'm very glad you made this thread, as i really don't follow up on politics as much as i should. i usually get the chewed up and spit out media versions of things, and if some political rumor pisses me off or makes me nervous, i usually just ask my parents what the truth is. which, isn't any better, because the media version is often extremely liberal, and my parent's version is often extremely conservative.

for me, i'm mostly just hella scared about what trump's going to do with women's rights, especially birth control and abortion.
in my old psych class we studied what women went through to get abortions when it was illegal... bottom line is a woman who doesn't want a baby, is going to find a way to not have that baby, whether it's legal or not. i'm terrified that we're going to have to go back to that world... where women would get abortions in dark alleyways, with coat hangers. or some horror story like that.

but more importantly to me as of right now, i'm anxious about the whole "affordable care act" being taken away or something, and birth control either being illegal or very expensive or extremely hard to get. it actually pisses me off, because my state just RECENTLY made it okay for girls to go into a pharmacy, without a doctor's prescription, to get the birth control pill. i was so excited to have that open freedom, without having to plan a doctor's visit around my parents, in addition to actually getting the birth control.
and now it just feels like there's going to be this huge jump backwards.
now i'm strongly considering getting an IUD, not necessarily because i want a foreign object in my vagina for 4 years, but because i fear it's the only other option for me.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#29 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 20th 2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted_Black View Post
i'm very glad you made this thread, as i really don't follow up on politics as much as i should. i usually get the chewed up and spit out media versions of things, and if some political rumor pisses me off or makes me nervous, i usually just ask my parents what the truth is. which, isn't any better, because the media version is often extremely liberal, and my parent's version is often extremely conservative.

for me, i'm mostly just hella scared about what trump's going to do with women's rights, especially birth control and abortion.
in my old psych class we studied what women went through to get abortions when it was illegal... bottom line is a woman who doesn't want a baby, is going to find a way to not have that baby, whether it's legal or not. i'm terrified that we're going to have to go back to that world... where women would get abortions in dark alleyways, with coat hangers. or some horror story like that.

but more importantly to me as of right now, i'm anxious about the whole "affordable care act" being taken away or something, and birth control either being illegal or very expensive or extremely hard to get. it actually pisses me off, because my state just RECENTLY made it okay for girls to go into a pharmacy, without a doctor's prescription, to get the birth control pill. i was so excited to have that open freedom, without having to plan a doctor's visit around my parents, in addition to actually getting the birth control.
and now it just feels like there's going to be this huge jump backwards.
now i'm strongly considering getting an IUD, not necessarily because i want a foreign object in my vagina for 4 years, but because i fear it's the only other option for me.
Trump intends to turn over a ruling on abortion in the supreme court, which effectively gives individual states back the power to enforce their own abortion laws. So, if a woman is adamant about getting an abortion and their state doesn't allow it, they can still probably just go to another state to get it. Those are the facts, in so far as I'm aware of them. My opinion is I'm 50/50 on abortion generally. I think some people behave irresponsibly and use abortion to dodge responsibility. But I'm also well aware that people have valid reasons for wanting an abortion. The common argument of "killing a baby inside the womb" somehow never made a strong impression on me, because I remember years ago this being prefaced with the conservative argument that even "using contraception is comparable to murder", which I don't buy. All this looks like to me is moving the goalposts/moral relativism.

I'm unaware of Trump's position on birth control itself however.

Trump's attack on the affordable care act, is an attack on Obama care. He has however calmed down over this now, since he got elected. What I heard is that he plans to make amendments to it, rather than get rid of it entirely.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 20th 2016, 04:45 PM

Here's a gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T86hhz-1a9s
Trump wants to ban federal student loans. Fuck everything, this country is about to go to hell in a handbasket. The 'American Dream'? Donald Trump: "Fuck your dreams."
This from the guy who asked his daddy for "a small loan of a million dollars."

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 20th 2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernManiac3 View Post
Birth control is not really a NEED.
I beg to differ considering we have have over 400,000 children in foster care currently. Also, birth control is not just for preventing pregnancy. I get debilitating cramps when I get my period. They're so bad I get really nauseous, and can barely move. Thanks to my birth control, I only have to suffer through that four times a year instead of every single month. I'm a full time student, I intern, I work, and I volunteer on here. I wouldn't be able to do all of this if I did not have my birth control.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#32 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 20th 2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Here's a gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T86hhz-1a9s
Trump wants to ban federal student loans. Fuck everything, this country is about to go to hell in a handbasket. The 'American Dream'? Donald Trump: "Fuck your dreams."
This from the guy who asked his daddy for "a small loan of a million dollars."
This is a system we have in the UK, and it works fine (relatively, although this can always be argued of course). My point is, it isn't necessarily "the end".

There has generally been a problem acknowledged across the West with regards to trivial degrees and university courses, which have crappy employment prospects after their completion. This is certainly true in the UK. I'm not sure what the best solution is. I imagine the government itself could reduce loans just for those "bad" courses in the first place, as opposed to getting rid of all government loans.

This would then in theory force/incentivize students to pick "better" courses which yield better employment prospects, thereby increasing the demand for those courses. This would also incentivize universities to invest more in those "better" courses, and increase their availability. This is a supply & demand relationship, where universities would increase supply, to match the increased demand.

So if that theory is true, then I actually support this. But that's just theory, and these things often have all sorts of other consequences. No such action is ever perfect or fully predictable. There's always some trial and error involved before people get things like this right, and sometimes they never do. A "free market capitalist" approach solves some problems, but causes others, which will likely have to be regulated by the government to prevent exploitation.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 21st 2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that was just me, at least on this site. But we're not talking about your average educated politicians, who know exactly what NOT to do, we're talking about Trump, who has so far filled his transition team with idiotic conspiracy theorists. There isn't any logic left with these guys. One of them being considered, who was the author of the news site "World News Daily", actually believed that Obama was a member of the "Muslim Brotherhood" and was fighting "with ISIS". And then there are anti-Semitic Steve Bannon and Michael Flynn, both conspiracy theorists. And Goddammit, Michael Pence, who thinks discrimination is ok. If they're gonna throw all logic out the window, I have no problem doing the same until they prove to be alright.
I've seen that elsewhere as well. The thing is we have checks and balances. Those checks and balances are there for the precise reason of blocking extremist actions.

Plus, you have to look into what it would have to involve. Basically we would need to be living in Orwell's '1984' for that to become a reality. Right now most people in this country are vehemently against and afraid of anything slightly resembling '1984' that even those who are homophobic would be terrified of the notion of the government taking extremist grounds of rounding people up and using social media spying to do it through.

The worst that can happen is the ignorance law, youtube "gay young putin vice news" and even that would be a stretch for checks and balances to allow through since we've seen where that can lead and it's an action so intense that most people would never allow it (and for that to work - you'd need people brainwashed enough to allow it, which again is why we have checks and balances). Although it might be triggering I suggest watching it because that is the worst case scenario that in the states is even a stretch and watching that video you'd be able to easily see why that wouldn't exactly fly in that states.

It's scary, no doubt about that but safeguards are in place.

Last edited by Equality_Believer; November 21st 2016 at 02:58 AM.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 21st 2016, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony. View Post
I'm mostly worried about his denial about climate change and mostly of his views and the consequences of it.
It will be a set back, but you can rest assured that no apocalyptic scenario will come about from it for a very long time. 4 years seems like a long time when you're younger, but the older you get the more you realize how fast 4 years can go by and that's to humans. Thus, 4 years to the Earth is faster than the speed of light. Trump is only one person in the country albeit frighteningly now the President, it's the United States rather than the world, and most people will continue to do everything they can to protect it. But, in 4 years while Trump may create a setback but one man can't create the Apocalypse alone. Also climate change is a relatively new thing, just like smoking being bad for you there was a time when many people thought it was a myth - surprisingly - and this will make me sound old in my lifetime. Stephen Hawking gave the Earth a thousand years, if we were at tipping point now where Trump for only 4 years could end it - Hawking wouldn't say a thousand. The United States has only been around for 240 years, will we start to feel it in way less than a thousand yes? Yes, definitely. But it's not the Apocalypse and it can be fixed. As said, the older you get sadly the faster 4 years go by. It's the funny and sad thing about time, the older you get the faster time speeds by and the earth is older than all of us.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 21st 2016, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equality_Believer View Post
It will be a set back, but you can rest assured that no apocalyptic scenario will come about from it for a very long time. 4 years seems like a long time when you're younger, but the older you get the more you realize how fast 4 years can go by and that's to humans. Thus, 4 years to the Earth is faster than the speed of light. Trump is only one person in the country albeit frighteningly now the President, it's the United States rather than the world, and most people will continue to do everything they can to protect it. But, in 4 years while Trump may create a setback but one man can't create the Apocalypse alone. Also climate change is a relatively new thing, just like smoking being bad for you there was a time when many people thought it was a myth - surprisingly - and this will make me sound old in my lifetime.
Science disagrees with you; we should have been aggressively fighting climate change a long time ago. The problem is, climate change is a positive feedback loop that accelerates the problem. A few examples:
1. The more we heat up the planet, the less permafrost there is near the poles. Permafrost contains trapped methane, which is 88x more harmful to the atmosphere than carbon dioxide. That melts more permafrost, which means more methane, and it just gets worse. (For what its worth, fracking also releases methane, but that's considered a 'smart business opportunity')
2. In dryer conditions, there are more forest fires, which release more CO2, which heat up the atmosphere, which creates more forest fires, etc.
3. When ice melts, the Earth loses albido, which causes more heating, which causes more ice loss. You get where this is going, and there are more scenarios like this, such as for desertification.
I don't mean to pop your bubble, but I feel like I've become one of the biggest defeatists/alarmists on this site. Our only hope is to develop technology that rapidly reverses this. Like, literally syphons greenhouse gases out of the air. Otherwise, we're all gonna... (come on dude, don't say it) ...be very unhappy that winter is gone.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 21st 2016, 03:24 AM

Can it be doomsday? Yes. But it's something that's going to take a while and a lot more than just 4 years. As said, it's that whole time passing angle - it is a much, much shorter timespan the older a person is. It's really hard to explain how life and time works and why it works that way, but how fast time goes and how little a person can do in time does become an anxiety factor the older you get. When I was young a year even seemed like a long time, today I'm racing to beat the clock because a year goes by and I've only accomplished just over a half of what I wanted to (and that's menial tasks). In essence will Trump leave an impact? Yes. He will set things back. There is no doubt about that. But it is more saving the world for even your children than it is something we will personally experience in our lifetime the fallback of. In other words you're not going to die or enter Mad Max within four years, but it will be on all our hands to safeguard it from here.

We need to do two things moving forward. We need to take care of the planet as good as we can to keep it around as long as we can. Two, funding needs to be put into NASA and space exploration. We are going to need to leave one day (my great, great, great, great grandchildren) and NASA is devastatingly underfunded right now. It needs to be those two factors working in tandem to ensure survival. Good news is, generations that know this will be taking on more powerful positions soon enough so it will only be a matter of time before the next space exploration age.

Last edited by Equality_Believer; November 21st 2016 at 03:58 AM.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 21st 2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Our only hope is to develop technology that rapidly reverses this. Like, literally syphons greenhouse gases out of the air. Otherwise, we're all gonna... (come on dude, don't say it) ...be very unhappy that winter is gone.
Otherwise... we'll have glaciers? Like in "Day After Tomorrow"?

Then we just nuke the glaciers. And if it doesn't work it means you didn't use enough nukes.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 21st 2016, 09:58 AM

Trump winning had to happen, and I'm gonna try to explain why

First off, to the liberals, LGBT, disabled and other minorities, although I do apologize for choosing and supporting Trump, I'm NOT changing my view. I've seen too much of the left being arrogant, complacent and even downright criminal at times

The reason why it had to happen is because of a few things. First, the working class (Real working class, not the vocal progressives) were fed up of being seen as racist and/or sexist for years, and I fully understand that. Those people work day in, day out to produce the goods you need to survive. They are told they don't matter, and they spoke.

Second reason is Hillary Clinton. To disclaim, there's nothing wrong in any shape or form with having a female president, but is Clinton the one who deserves to be president? Nope, not at all. She is known to flip-flop about racism (Calling black people 'superpredators', https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALXulk0T8cg), gay marriage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I1-r1YgK9I) and other issues. And if that doesn't count, then why are you all in an uproar about the "Grab them by the pussy" tape that happened before his presidential race (Just like Hillary's flip-flopping) and he since apologized, but say nothing about Clinton's comments? Answer me that, liberals

Hillary is also known to be corrupt in cases, such as Benghazi and the e-mail scandal from the FBI (For some reason, she wasn't arrested then or at least thrown off of the Presidential race, I wonder why...), but still, we don't hear anything about it from mainstream media, who's too busy unrightfully discrediting Trump by cherry-picking things he's done in the past and editing his speeches

And here's what tipped the cow for me (Kind of walking into conspiracy theory here, but whatever). The Podesta e-mail hack. In those e-mails, it's revealed that the DNC rigged everything against Sanders basically because Trump was the frontrunner for the Republicans and thought it would be an easy victory. It was also revealed that every mainstream news source except for Fox has been in the Clinton's pocket (Yes, CNN became fake media, deal with it. They've also been feeding CNN questions). The more conspiracy based stuff is there as well (Pizzagate and spirit cooking) but I'm not getting into that because most people won't believe it anyway despite WikiLeaks being at the very least a more reliable source than CNN, the mails are DKIM verifyable and Clinton herself confirmed the leaks TWICE. And the Pizzagate thing is becoming more and more legitimate by the day (Scary, I know)

And last but not least, a no-fly zone over Syria means WW3 will happen sooner than later, and cause of Trump being elected, it is, in fact, prevented or at least set back. Russia and Syria want peace with the US now, and imo that's a good thing as peace is better than war. Deporting [bold]illegal[/bold] immigrants has to happen too cause probably a majority of them refuse to learn the native language and living off of state benefits, or are too lazy to go through processes that make them legal immigrants. The Syrian migrant crisis might mistakingly get ISIS insiders in and let them wreak havoc on the US, no matter how bad it is for the legitimate Syrian refugees, prevention is better than curing

And that's why, in my opinion, Trump winning had to happen

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 21st 2016, 12:45 PM

I think the "scandal" around her use of the word "superpredator" is greatly exaggerated. The term "superpredator" was one coined by some literature in the early 90s regarding teenage delinquency in America. I do not remember details, but I don't remember it being a term specifically targeted at black people. Now, black youths may have had a correlation with teenage delinquency back then (I don't know, I'm guessing), but this indirect association doesn't legitimise people yelling "racism". I feel like this clip which the right likes to throw around of Hilary being "racist" is about as legitimate as much of the left wing yelling "racist" for any stupid reason.

But all-in-all, this is just a small detail in the greater scheme of things. I'm more troubled with the direction in which ideology is taking us all. Neither Hilary nor Trump are bigger than America itself, so I feel like focusing on them too much is a distraction. I'm more interested in their policies, and what ideologies they associate with, than personal squabbles and scandals. If there are any which I'm truly concerned with, it would be ones which directly conflict with public interest/the law. So yes, Hilary's emailgate was a big deal to me. And although the spirit cooking was a bit crazy (and I don't think it is a conspiracy, but meh)... I also sort of think it's a distraction from more important things going on now.

I think claims of WW3 are exaggerated on both sides. Although Hilary has made direct threats many more times than Trump has. But it was also part of her job, whereas Trump's was building hotels and such... so that's to be expected. The kind of cretinous accusations that annoy me, are ones such as people saying that "Trump will nuke Europe", because he said in one interview that if a minuscule chance ever arises where this would be necessary, he'd might do it. Let's imagine that another actual Hitler rises to power in Germany during next year's elections, and starts invading neighbors. Yes, perhaps nukes would be a legitimate countermeasure, so I actually agree with Trump on this. Very unlikely to happen though.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TRUMP WINS - the consequences - November 21st 2016, 10:20 PM

First off, The Day After Tomorrow isn't exactly a fact-based movie. NASA, on the other hand, says we should have been on top of global warming a long time ago. They warn that the ice caps are melting and soon, low-lying island nations will be wiped out. I know you aren't the biggest fan of refugees BDF, but there will be a ton of them in time.
Second, and more importantly... the only reliable site I can find for 'pizzagate' or 'spirit cooking' says there is almost zero evidence of it, no reliable sources, and for the spirit cooking, no regard to context. I know you can't just trust the mainstream media for everything, but there are actual CONSEQUENCES for running a piece like that. People get fired, your publication gets skewered by everyone else, the entire company loses credibility, and that's before the investigation is even concluded. On the other hand, for fake news sites (sites that are purposely fake to make money), 'news' sites (like Infowars, the biggest joke on the web), reddit, and 4chan, the consequences for putting these pieces out there are that they gain viewers and/or money. They don't have any credibility to lose. Of COURSE they'll grab onto these stories, people on one side read that and they're like "Oh my God! No way!" while the other side says, "WOW this is stupid."
Look, I hate the DNC as much as the next guy. They screwed Bernie, they're neoliberals (aka false liberals) that control the 'workers' party, and they are completely obsessed with their own wealth and power with no regard for the poor. But think about this for a second. What are the odds that somebody is a pedophile? Very low. What are the odds that someone is a Satanist? Very low. What are the odds that someone is a very high-ranking politician, like someone in the DNC? Very low. Now is it possible for a politician to be a pedophile? Yeah. Anthony Wiener. But what are the odds that you combine those factors for ALL of the top people in the DNC? 0, followed by a TON of 0s, ending in a 1.
And look, I know Julian Assange and Wikileaks have credibility for releasing all those emails, but they were clearly working to get Donald Trump elected. They were ALSO tied to the Russians (proven), and don't forget, Putin loves Trump. When you have credibility in this situation, it doesnt matter if you throw away that credibility right before an election if your guy wins. I would sooner believe the Russians wanted to drive up evangelical voter turnout with fear mongering than them actually releasing legitimate emails confirming a pedo ring.
Here are the sites I found that are verifiably not fake or Infowars. The first one I'm not familiar with, but the next three are definitely reliable and its their job to investigate stuff like this. Despite the spirit cooking dinner appearing to be a real thing, it looks like it was taken totally out of context, and the whole pizza gate thing just sounds like tinfoil cap shit with imaginary links shooting every which way.
http://heatst.com/politics/internet-...piracy-theory/
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...l-claim-huge-/
http://www.snopes.com/john-podesta-spirit-cooking/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ner/?tid=sm_tw
Seriously guys, this is completely ridiculous. I couldn't find a single reliable source going the other way that wasn't fake news, Infowars, 4chan, or reddit. If it turns out to be real, I will literally jump into Lake Superior in the dead of winter.

Closed Thread