TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

The faces of Trump supporters: case study - November 18th 2016, 11:36 AM

Hey everyone,
I'm going to try this out (yikes)

So I found a video from the Guardian, that I highly recommend watching.
The video features one of the poorest counties in one of the poorest states, called McDowell, located in West Virginia.
The video brings light to Apalacia poverty. When I say the word 'poverty' (in the United states) , most people probably picture inner city ghettos in Black and Hispanic communities.
But there's a lot of rural poverty in the Apalacian states, that no one really talks about, that affects a large White population.

These Poor White people most likely voted for Trump. I just think it is interesting to learn more about the people who voted for Trump. I know here in the big city, most young people I know are VERY against Trump (or at least were before he became president-elect, as some settled down) There's a lot of* People of Color, LGBTQ+, women, disabled, undocumented immigrants etc who have been devastated and angry and scared. And I'm honestly with them on that. But I also feel for these people in Apalacian States, who are actually being cheated and manipulated. Especially because things like literacy rates are much lower.

I think if anyone who has been fighting for justice in this country on a larger scale, should definitely include these people into the conversation! And building solidarity with other organizations who focus on other populations.

What are the alternatives of people whose family have been coal miners for generations and that's all they know?
How do we address the elderly population in counties like these who cannot learn a new trade?

So this is the video:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-poverty-video

What are your thoughts?

Btw: Langston Hughes' poem Let America Be America Again mentions poor White Folks,
I read that poem like 6 years ago but the video reminded me of that stanza mentioning different groups coming together.

Quote:
I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,
I am the black man bearing slavery’s scars.
I am the red man driven from the land,
I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek—
And finding only the same old stupid plan
Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak.

Last edited by ~Radio Flyer~; November 18th 2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: i just wanted to remove the icon. i dont know how it got there!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: The faces of Trump supporters: case study - November 19th 2016, 09:25 PM

I'm glad that people other than myself are taking interest in this here.

What can I say though? There is too much. I've spent too much time around these issues by now, to the extent that I'm experiencing information overload. I don't know how to summarise... and writing 5 pages isn't really a good idea. And I'd make a mess of it probably. I'll try making a few points:
  • I'm of the impression that white poor Americans generally have always been more conservative. Whether Trump was running or not running... they would have most likely voted Republican either way. They certainly are a large % of the people who voted for him, but they didn't decide the election... because let's assume (for simplicity) that they have always voted Republican. Very little changed in that regard, and therefore it's hard to say that they are the reason Trump won.
So now... what are the reasons? What are the demographics? What inspired them? What actually changed??? I don't remember specific statistics (I'm not autistic enough to do that), but here are a few main factors I remember:

• Racial minorities, apparently voted in greater numbers for Trump than they have done for previous Republican candidates. That's a big factor. Why they did it... I've not really thought about it enough to figure it out. I think it has something to do with their disappointment in Obama who apparently promised them something he didn't deliver.
  • Counter-culture movements on university campuses (spearheaded by Milo Yuinnopoulos) rallied significant crowds of students to the conservative side, in traditionally Liberal environments. This is closely associated with the alt-right, although I like to now point out the difference between the "traditional" alt-right which advocates "white nationalism" (that isn't actually the same as "white supremacy"), and the alt-right movements on university campuses, which overlap in values with the traditional alt-right, but don't advocate "white nationalism" per se. They're more about anti-political correctness, etc.
  • And a group of people which I heard being referred to as the "invisible voter". These are a group of people which are generally very passive with regards to politics. They don't care, they often don't even vote. But due to recent controversies, politics grabbed their attention... and they preferred Trump. But this is just a theory, unsubstantiated by polls or any statistics. In fact, this is what some people on the right have attributed Trump's victory to. Due to the largely passive nature of this crowd, they never participated to a significant degree in polls (hence the lack of data), and therefore they were under-represented throughout the campaign. This is what some people are saying was the reason why almost all the polls were predicting a win for Hilary Clinton... yet Trump won. But like I said, this is little more than theory, due to a lack of data to substantiate it (since I last checked).

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: The faces of Trump supporters: case study - November 28th 2016, 04:40 AM

^^ I could say that I am a passive voter. I don't really follow politics and mainly voted simply because my state was holding a specific ballot initiative that I wanted to support (medical marijuana in florida).

What I didn't like was being told how to vote to be a "good person". That caught my attention. Why did some people act like you were a bad person if you were a "Trump supporter" or did not support Hillary? Liberals were so outraged by some of the propaganda about him that I personally did not think was that big of a deal--like the video--to me he was saying that it was so easy to get girls as a famous billionaire that you could (almost) just grab them by the pussy--I took it as a figure of speech and humorous exaggeration, but some people took it that he was joking about rape or something. Trump was not a politician in 2005, and what was said in the video was nothing I haven't heard guys joke about in real life. Idk, I just don't like someone telling me that I am a sexist racist pig unless I strongly support their beliefs. I do care about liberal issues- but I feel that Trump is not nearly so socially conservative as many believe- as he has flip-flopped before and was mainly trying to win an election. Honestly, I respected Trump (as many did before the election) and I thought it was pretty amazing to see a radically new type of candidate.

Hillary did not have the charm that Obama had- she seemed way too politician-ey , and almost not like a real person. Women's rights, "breaking the glass ceiling" , and certain minorities were all big parts of her campaign- and not that I don't care about those issues- but as a guy, they just aren't relate-able enough to have any real enough emotional significance for me to form a strong opinion. Obama would have related to me more since he put on the "common man" persona so much during his campaign (and presidency). He was able to relate to everyone- not just certain groups of people.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
KelseyMarie26 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kelsey

Re: The faces of Trump supporters: case study - November 28th 2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
^^ I could say that I am a passive voter. I don't really follow politics and mainly voted simply because my state was holding a specific ballot initiative that I wanted to support (medical marijuana in florida).

What I didn't like was being told how to vote to be a "good person". That caught my attention. Why did some people act like you were a bad person if you were a "Trump supporter" or did not support Hillary? Liberals were so outraged by some of the propaganda about him that I personally did not think was that big of a deal--like the video--to me he was saying that it was so easy to get girls as a famous billionaire that you could (almost) just grab them by the pussy--I took it as a figure of speech and humorous exaggeration, but some people took it that he was joking about rape or something. Trump was not a politician in 2005, and what was said in the video was nothing I haven't heard guys joke about in real life. Idk, I just don't like someone telling me that I am a sexist racist pig unless I strongly support their beliefs. I do care about liberal issues- but I feel that Trump is not nearly so socially conservative as many believe- as he has flip-flopped before and was mainly trying to win an election. Honestly, I respected Trump (as many did before the election) and I thought it was pretty amazing to see a radically new type of candidate.

Hillary did not have the charm that Obama had- she seemed way too politician-ey , and almost not like a real person. Women's rights, "breaking the glass ceiling" , and certain minorities were all big parts of her campaign- and not that I don't care about those issues- but as a guy, they just aren't relate-able enough to have any real enough emotional significance for me to form a strong opinion. Obama would have related to me more since he put on the "common man" persona so much during his campaign (and presidency). He was able to relate to everyone- not just certain groups of people.
I pretty much agree with this 100% I hated Hilary from the start everything she said was back peddling on views she's held in the past. where trump has had the same views over the years and as a transwoman I was worried what he'd do to the LGBT community and women's rights but as my father say's Hilary couldn't satisfy Bill so how do you expect her to satisfy a country. So I voted for trump and I'm just waiting on to see what happens with it... Hilary wanted to make stricter gun regulations which I deeply disagreed with as a woman who has a license for a concealed weapon but also suffers from ptsd and borderline personality disorder but I'm not violent according to stuff I read my father sent me she would try to take my gun rights just cause I had mental handicaps which is complete bullshit when you it's my constitutional right.

I'm hoping trump does everything he says he will though I really disagree with his opinions on woman's right to abortion.

Closed Thread