TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KelseyMarie26 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kelsey

ohio and abortion - December 7th 2016, 11:52 PM

So browsing facebook I see my state Ohio has wrote a new law against abortion if the fetus has a heart beat you can't have one which is really stupid in my opinion since the fetus develops a heart beat at 6 weeks and most woman don't find out their pregnant till 8 weeks or later. I really don't think men or politicians have any business making laws about women's reproductive rights I mean unless their gonna support and care for the baby they should just keep their noses out of it.

john Kasich are governor is supposed to write in within the week and in the mean time a few friends of mine are thinking of petition this by sending him used tampons and pad

I really love on the FB sites you see all the people for the bill are 60 something old hags who cant have anymore children like really this shit just aggravates me...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: ohio and abortion - December 8th 2016, 12:01 AM

Possible Trigger- Rape/Abuse

Yes I just saw a comment on a similar post by a male who said "pro-life always, be responsible to begin with." The problem with his argument is that it still applies in cases of rape and incest. That's ABUSE, it's not a lack of "responsibility" The only exception is risk to the woman's life.

Women wouldn't even get a chance to make the decision because it would be too late by the time they realize they're pregnant. Plus, like I said, if it's a case of rape or abuse, they have to carry that baby! Can't even imagine what that would do to someone. I really hope he doesn't pass this, but I said Trump would never win, so who knows?! Maybe worst case scenario, it can be amended to make those exceptions on the basis of extreme emotional distress.

Plus I just thought of something else, what if the child has a disability or a poor quality of life? Now, I DON'T agree that that is a good reason for abortion, but I am pro-choice. The government will essentially force someone to have a disabled, sick, or medically fragile child while cutting funding to programs that help SUPPORT people who require assistance because of them, like Medicaid and Social Security programs! Somebody really didn't think this through. Like I said, I hope this doesn't get past Kasich.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; December 8th 2016 at 12:17 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: ohio and abortion - December 14th 2016, 03:20 AM

I recommend against sending used tampons. I would bet that it wouldn't even reach him and they may have a law against sending something bloody through the mail system.

I agree that the law is ridiculous. I also think that if people really cared about abortions, they would look into why women have abortions. Most women who have abortions already have a kid at home. If they want to decrease the amount of abortions, make it easier to find affordable day care, tuition assistance, and food assistance.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: ohio and abortion - December 14th 2016, 04:58 AM

Unless I'm much mistaken, Kasich actually vetoed the 6 week bill. I think he still signed a 20 week bill though.
It would be one thing if the US actually had a massive safety net in place to help the women and babies during pregnancy and afterwards. Allowing women and their babies to grow up in poverty is just cruel.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: ohio and abortion - December 14th 2016, 05:36 AM

Yeah he signed a 20 week bill which, while not as awful as a six week, will still only be effective at increasing abortion in neighboring states and women seeking unsafe illegal abortions and wasting tax dollars on prosecuting them like in Indiana because these laws are ineffective at their own goals. So pro-choice or pro-life, nobody wins. Yay?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: ohio and abortion - December 14th 2016, 05:51 AM

Either way, I think there has to be a cutoff somewhere, just not sure where it should be. I think 5 months is plenty of time to decide if that's what you want to do. I think it needs to be before the child could survive outside the womb, but as we're saving babies earlier and earlier, when will that cut off be?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
KelseyMarie26 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kelsey

Re: ohio and abortion - December 14th 2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Unless I'm much mistaken, Kasich actually vetoed the 6 week bill. I think he still signed a 20 week bill though.
It would be one thing if the US actually had a massive safety net in place to help the women and babies during pregnancy and afterwards. Allowing women and their babies to grow up in poverty is just cruel.
still it's a MAN making laws about a WOMANS body which he knows nothing about and has zero right to any say. if the government paid for the cost of raising the child but they don't so have zero right to make laws concerning are body.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: ohio and abortion - December 14th 2016, 06:21 PM

I'm generally on the fence with abortion stuff. What is the most common reason for women having an abortion anyway? Asking such a question on this site with a younger audience perhaps won't yield the most representative results for the general population, but it's a start for me trying to figure this out.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: ohio and abortion - December 14th 2016, 08:29 PM

Here's a list of the most common reasons:

http://www.webmd.com/women/tc/aborti...hoose-abortion

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: ohio and abortion - December 15th 2016, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Either way, I think there has to be a cutoff somewhere, just not sure where it should be. I think 5 months is plenty of time to decide if that's what you want to do. I think it needs to be before the child could survive outside the womb, but as we're saving babies earlier and earlier, when will that cut off be?
Not necessarily. I work in an ER and it's pretty common for people to say that they had their period last month. Well, turns out that the baby is 12-16 weeks along per the ultrasound. The other day we had someone who was 17 weeks and she found out there.

Not to mention that there are other factors. Abortions aren't cheap. Someone who already has mouths to feed or is living paycheck to paycheck may need some time to scrape together the money to pay for an abortion out of pocket.

Also, surviving outside the womb doesn't mean it's beneficial for the baby to survive outside the womb. Those kids born at around 24 weeks require intensive care. There is a huge risk of health issues and the potential for mental health issues down the line. It's not a friggin cake walk when a baby is born that early and they may die.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: ohio and abortion - December 15th 2016, 03:57 AM

I was born prematurely, later than that, but I live with the consequences you just described every day. No need to tell me how hard it is. I'm pro choice, but I still think there needs to be a line somewhere. Plus, the fact that a woman can't (or doesn't) have an abortion, doesn't mean the baby is born early, so viable and good quality of life aren't really the same thing since they aren't saying that not having an abortion would mean the baby will be born that small.

Last edited by Kate*; December 15th 2016 at 05:54 AM.

Closed Thread