TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Does Trump have dementia? - April 3rd 2017, 05:02 AM

I don't really know how I feel posting this because normally I wouldn't want to speculate over somebody else's health concerns. On the other hand, the guy only runs my country. Also, my grandparents have dementia, so I was curious.
I posted a clip from the David Pakman Show where he speculates whether or not Trump has dementia/Alzheimers. In my experience, David Pakman's a pretty reasonable person, so I wouldn't expect him to run with a sensationalist headline unless he could at least make a case for it. I think there's a decent case actually, he makes comparisons between late Raegan (who had Alzheimer's) and Trump, and there seem to be a lot of similarities in their behavior and speaking abilities. I mean, I don't think Trump was ever an eloquent speaker but he has a lot of speech patterns that people with dementia also have, like using filler words or bland words like 'thing' or 'stuff' as opposed to more unique words.
Some of the other referenced symptoms:
irritability
lack of restraint
mood swings
making stuff up (like saying he won the popular vote, which is completely untrue)
trouble balancing
So my grandparents have dementia/Alzheimers and Trump seems to have a lot of similar symptoms. My grandpa has all of those symptoms to a fairly light degree and my grandma has dementia to a far worse degree but she doesnt have the energy for a lack of restraint or mood swings. Also, another important risk factor for alzheimers/dementia is family history- Trump's father had Alzheimers.
Another thing, and I don't want to feel like Im connecting nonexistent dots here, but Trump's doctor dropped this quote during an interview: “Ronald Reagan had pre-senile dementia. I mean, seriously, did they share that one with you, or did Nancy just cover it up?” Why would you even SAY that? The guy seemed a little bit like a quack from everything I've heard, but still.
If I was ever gonna compare Donald Trump to anyone, it would actually be my grandpa, so no, Im not trying to be an ass to Trump this time (I could just reference his policies for that). My grandpa is still fully functional by the way, but he's diagnosed. My grandma, not really, she's diagnosed but can't function on her own. However, I do feel like this is important to everyone because for starters, Trump has access to drones and the nuclear football.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3CFwkoqxIs
Not like our opinions matter a whole lot, but what do you guys think? Also, Trump is 70.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 3rd 2017, 05:19 AM

I mean, people have speculated on this already, saying he has different mental illnesses and all. I personally don't like to put diagnoses on such an awful man because it further stigmatizes mental illness and makes it seem like all mentally ill people are bad when they're just bigots. But we may never really know, I doubt he'd ever release any info on him being mentally ill, I mean the man doesn't release his taxes either or something so. *shrug*

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 3rd 2017, 09:39 AM

Interesting! I mean we wouldn't know for sure whether Trump could be suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's, unless it becomes more severe or he gets a diagnosis (although, wondering what happens if he did ever get diagnosed? Would he be forced to resign?).

Speech patterns are interesting to look at, but at the same time, you will find more filler words in a spontaneous speech e.g. at a rally, rather than in something a bit more structured like in an interview. As for the lack of restraint, it really is difficult to tell whether that was something that could be a mental health concern or whether that was just Trump thinking that because he has power and supporters, he can get away with it.

Age and family history do play a part, since your chances of getting Alzheimer's increases with age, as can family history but it's also not definite either. You can carry the genes for Alzheimer's and not get it, while others might not have the genes and still get it.

For me, the most interesting part was the issue with the stairs. When my dad had Alzheimer's, it was really difficult to get him to come down the stairs, even just the few steps outside. Though this wasn't until his Alzheimer's was much more advanced (there is a lack of depth perception, so I think to someone with Alzheimer's the stairs may look flat with a drop at the end). But at the same time, with Tump it could just be an issue with balance.

Either way, I do see your concern, especially since Trump is in charge of a powerful country.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 3rd 2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Interesting! I mean we wouldn't know for sure whether Trump could be suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's, unless it becomes more severe or he gets a diagnosis (although, wondering what happens if he did ever get diagnosed? Would he be forced to resign?).

Speech patterns are interesting to look at, but at the same time, you will find more filler words in a spontaneous speech e.g. at a rally, rather than in something a bit more structured like in an interview. As for the lack of restraint, it really is difficult to tell whether that was something that could be a mental health concern or whether that was just Trump thinking that because he has power and supporters, he can get away with it.

Age and family history do play a part, since your chances of getting Alzheimer's increases with age, as can family history but it's also not definite either. You can carry the genes for Alzheimer's and not get it, while others might not have the genes and still get it.

For me, the most interesting part was the issue with the stairs. When my dad had Alzheimer's, it was really difficult to get him to come down the stairs, even just the few steps outside. Though this wasn't until his Alzheimer's was much more advanced (there is a lack of depth perception, so I think to someone with Alzheimer's the stairs may look flat with a drop at the end). But at the same time, with Tump it could just be an issue with balance.

Either way, I do see your concern, especially since Trump is in charge of a powerful country.
I dont think he will have to resign. Ronald Regan has Alzheimer's and didn't resign haha.

I don't know if Trump has Alzheimer's since I don't know enough about the disease, but I certainly hope that he will listen to medical advice and not end up doing something potentially disastrous due to that.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 3rd 2017, 03:33 PM

Oh wait, the 25th amendment says the President has to declare to the VP and President pro tem that he is unfit to serve and he can't serve again until he provides a written declaration to the contrary.
Yeah, that'll never happen. Too much ego. Not to mention, we would get Pence, who the media has falsely brought up as a calm, balanced, sane person.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 3rd 2017, 05:14 PM

This reminds me of the dying Hillary campaign done by the alt-right during the last election. I find it so humorous that the liberal media condemned speculation of Clinton's health as political meanderings and unethical, yet promotes the unsupported conspiracy that Trump is mentally disabled. The media has shown itself through this election and into this administration to be on par with tabloids with the amount of fake, trivial news and conspiracy theories. The news media is just out there to push an agenda, and a small radio news-cast done by a self-admitted progressive liberal and hosted by a liberal organization is going to have some sensational anti-rightwing propaganda.
Quote:
Not to mention, we would get Pence, who the media has falsely brought up as a calm, balanced, sane person.
Oh yes, the same media who claims that the Clintons have a perfect marriage while the Pences marriage is in shambles, and that condemns the man for not wanting to be in a situation where sexual assault may occur. And the same media who claims Pence wants to imprison all the gays Yep, the mainstream media is totally biased towards Pence . You are becoming a regular old conspiracy theorist my old friend.

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 3rd 2017, 05:37 PM

Dude, all you have to do is watch Trump's behavior to get the impression that something is wrong with him. Like I said, he's just like my grandpa who HAS dementia, so I could put two and two together and say, "yeah, he might have early stage dementia."
As for Pence, maybe I should have clarified: stable compared to Trump. As for any issues in his personal life, his issues pale in comparison to Trump's 3 marriages/other shenanigans. As for Clinton's health though, she got sick, but she got better. Trump has shown the same type of erratic behavior for the last few years.
You say the left-wing media is pushing conspiracy theories, but don't forget that the right-wing pushed evidence-less stories like Pizzagate. It was obviously untrue and even Alex Jones apologized for spreading it. Given the nature of the media I can barely blame them for forming conspiracy theories about Trump though, Trump puts so much material out there that its impossible not to speculate, "what's wrong with this guy?" Its not like I think all the theories were worth repeating (see "pissgate"), but what do you expect from a sensationalist media? This theory is far more plausible than pissgate or the Clinton false flag theory (which I actually believed at one point).

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 3rd 2017, 08:01 PM

This was originally posted by NPR back in January. It isn't exactly news, but it's certainly something to think about.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 4th 2017, 02:22 AM

I think it's entirely possible but is he a psychotic narcissist or does he have something as common as dementia or Alzheimer's? Very good question but there's far too many speculative reasons for his behavior to really choose a definitive one. Only time will tell I suppose.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 6th 2017, 01:26 PM

I don't think he has dementia. It's more the case of that his brain doesn't always keep up with what he's saying.

His speech patterns are generally what they are, because he is unfiltered and often unscripted. This makes them appear out-of-tune with your average politician, but in fact, most average people use filler words all the time. It's probably one of the things that makes Trump more relatable than other politicians.

As for Trump "making stuff up", it generally doesn't appear random. There's a pattern to it, and it is that he tends to exaggerate some aspect of the truth. What I think it actually is, is basic power-politics. He'll even dress up failures as a success, and exaggerate his successes even more. It's a kind of "mind trick" where you project an image of yourself that is larger than you actually are, and many people fall for it because they don't have the time to fact-check every small detail.

Yes, it's a form of lying. But actions speak louder than words, and many of the first things which Trump prioritized as he came into office, were the things he promised during the campaign (which differentiated him immediately from other politicians). This way, he at least maintains the image of being an honest person to his core supporters, and even to some people who oppose him.

Personally, I find him more trustworthy than most people in power, but that's because I dismiss most of the things he says by now, and judge the actions. I don't have unrealistic expectations either, and don't expect perfection. Being a president comes with a lot of strings attached. Just generally, I feel like he's moving in the right direction, although the whole healthcare thing is far too complicated for me to spend time learning the details of it, so I have no opinion on it.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 6th 2017, 11:34 PM

But some of the stuff he says HAS no basis in fact. They have some sort of a source, usually, but its usually some nobody on the internet. For example, he retweeted some white nationalist's fake crime statistics on black people, he claimed illegal immigrants voted in mass numbers to win the popular vote for Hillary (possibly based on a blog post), he says that his inauguration was the most highly attended inauguration ever (patently untrue, just look at the pictures compared to Obama), he said Obama founded ISIS (...), and he also said that Obama wiretapped him based on known hack Mark Levin, who didn't provide evidence (in reality, the NSA is tapping everyones phones, but that's not the point, he meant he was specifically being spied on by Obama).
I guess you can trust him to be consistent in that regard. As for his actions, he's a corporatist through and through.*

*minus axing TPP, which was good on his part, but his ideas for renegotiating NAFTA looks a lot like the TPP

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Does Trump have dementia? - April 7th 2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
But some of the stuff he says HAS no basis in fact. They have some sort of a source, usually, but its usually some nobody on the internet. For example, he retweeted some white nationalist's fake crime statistics on black people, he claimed illegal immigrants voted in mass numbers to win the popular vote for Hillary (possibly based on a blog post), he says that his inauguration was the most highly attended inauguration ever (patently untrue, just look at the pictures compared to Obama), he said Obama founded ISIS (...), and he also said that Obama wiretapped him based on known hack Mark Levin, who didn't provide evidence (in reality, the NSA is tapping everyones phones, but that's not the point, he meant he was specifically being spied on by Obama).
I guess you can trust him to be consistent in that regard. As for his actions, he's a corporatist through and through.*

*minus axing TPP, which was good on his part, but his ideas for renegotiating NAFTA looks a lot like the TPP
I generally avoid engaging in debates / arguments over details, because there are too many details and it's often too time consuming. But it's Friday, so:
  • His accusation that Obama "founded" ISIS is obviously untrue in it's literal sense. But Obama did contribute significantly to a set of variables that created the right environment for ISIS to grow. The math was "ISIS is fighting Syrian government, therefore we help ISIS grow". There are intelligence documents that confirm this, although I think ISIS wasn't actually called "ISIS" then.
  • Trump wasn't the direct target of wiretapping. There was a FISA warrant on someone else, and Trump happened to be at the other end of the phone call and was also recorded. Then somehow information started leaking on this from the intelligence community incriminating Trump for "collaborating" with Russians. Trump's statement is partially true. It's fucking contorted to be honest, I don't know why he couldn't just call it what it is. It pisses me off when he drops a nuke on himself this way.
  • About his inauguration... this is a simple case of Trump just exaggerating his popularity.
  • About illegal migrants voting for Hilary... it's "possible" (although you can say that for anything). Various regions/states in the US have relatively relaxed policies towards illegal migrants (example: sanctuary cities). Sure, it may be against federal law for non-citizens to vote, but law has to be enforced in order for it to have effect, and it is enforced by people, and they don't always do a good job. Census data is rumored to be unreliable on the topic of "undocumented" migrants, because they're undocumented. Drawing meaningful conclusions therefore, on the basis of weak data that isn't well kept, is very difficult. This is a topic that warrants more detailed investigation in order to compile this data (which could take years), not frivolous accusations of "voter fraud".
  • I don't know anything about the "fake crime statistics" you mentioned. I must have missed that one.
Like I said... I don't take the things he says very seriously anymore. I've done my own research here and there on various facts and stats, and I do think he is generally moving in the right direction to address these. Also the missile strike today... I'm still processing that. The missile strike by itself is not actually a big deal. It's whatever might come next. If this is paving the way for more intrusive military presence, then I'm against it.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread