TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
City17 Offline
Crazy Bastard
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamed

I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 6th 2017, 05:58 AM

Since the US presidential election, every man and his dog have become politically involved, which some may see as a good thing, but others may see as a person that you used to know and like becoming someone that you need to analyse and debate.

Vlogbrothers, for example, would make videos about basically anything, from travels that they were taking, to making points about adulthood and even dissecting what Pokemon, and children's TV and movies mean for adults, but ever since the presidential election, they have become political activists, which, I am happy for that, but as an Australian, I do not want to listen to an in-depth discussion of US healthcare policy. The US is JUST ANOTHER FUCKING COUNTRY, but audiences are dragged into it, because most of the starpower and the platform is in the US. Can you imagine many people would be happy with Pewdiepie talking about the Swedish general election with his audience? I don't think so.

Even the Simpsons have gone into making fun of President Trump.

Politics since 2016 have taken people that were innocent and made them into people that were not. I remember when the Simpsons was a comedy platform with political satire, not a political platform with some comedy thrown in.

Politics inherently does this. I mean if Hayley Williams started making the case for, fucking, I don't know, employment reform in one of her songs and Paramore did a show jokingly celebrating a win from Hilary Clinton, then I would be horrified, but everybody has opinions. Just don't drag others into it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 6th 2017, 03:00 PM

Welcome to the site. Im a little curious as to why you would start off with this post, but welcome to TH nonetheless.
I'm going to disagree 100% with you on this opinion, though. As Im sure you know already, Donald Trump is a man-child who commands the most lethal military the world has ever seen as well as thousands of nukes. His presidency must be derailed at all costs by everybody so he doesn't create a mess. And the US isn't just another country, it's an eroding empire of 300 million plus people that still has massive influence over world economic, political, and military affairs. This is kind of a big deal. As for the millions of people who are about to get kicked off of healthcare in the US, thats also a big deal.
If you don't want to listen to it, I get it, you're on the other side of the planet. Just tune it out. But don't expect the media to stop making fun of him, they know that public opinion gets under his skin more than anything else. Maybe he'll start to do popular things as a result of wanting to be liked.
And I don't know why you wouldn't expect the Simpsons to make fun of Trump, the guy is a walking punchline and the Simpsons have been searching for something funny since 2010 (at least in my opinion). It's also an American show, so American audiences would appreciate it more than anyone. Making fun of Trump is just good business.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 6th 2017, 08:05 PM

Hey there,

I completely understand not wanting to hear about the political goings-on of a country that you don't live in. Unfortunately, the fact that the US is a dominant force in so many areas, including mainstream media, can make it a little bit difficult to ignore. While it might be frustrating, the only thing you can really do is tune it out. That might mean choosing not to watch certain programs or read certain articles in an attempt to avoid hearing more about US politics than you would like.

That being said, try not to shut it out completely! Keeping up to date on world news, regardless of whether or not it directly impacts you, is a positive thing and something we should all strive to be doing.

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 6th 2017, 09:11 PM

As a fellow non-American I can totally relate. After a while, it's like "ok, I get it, this sucks but....". It's like having that one friend who won't stop talking about their problems 24/7 and never take the time to ask you how you're doing. It's not that you don't care about their problems, you just want to talk about something else. I think you can apply the analogy to American politics. I want to hear about it because, even though I am not American, I can't pretend like Trump doesn't threaten my country (eg trade agreements, if he/his cronies starts a war). So yeah I guess I am of the persuasion that we need to hear it. But it would be nice if people were like "ok let's talk about politics in our own countries because clearly if this appalling thing can afflict the US, it can happen to us too and it should be a lesson that we should be more political engaged at home too.

But to me it seems a lot to ask Americans to stop talking about it because they're so close to it that it's much more of a dominating topic for them and activist types are sort of like "shit, we need to educate people". So as much as I'd like to see more diverse conversations or just non-political conversations, I also get that this situations is to scary and messy to breakaway from.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 6th 2017, 11:19 PM

Blacklist all key words with Trump. That's my only solution for you.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
City17 Offline
Crazy Bastard
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamed

Re: I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 7th 2017, 07:44 AM

Thanks so much, but I am nowhere near new. .

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 12th 2017, 07:15 PM

I understand where you are coming from. That one of your favorite vbloggers now talks about Trump and general political topics in their not so fun entertaining vblog. I would actually feel upset if that happened to a vblog I was interested in because it was light, fun, and care-free.

It seems everyone is using politics in well known shows, discussions and so fourth.

People can change how they target their audience even if that means loosing a major portion of their viewers to discuss politics, than there isn't much we can do. Have you thought about writing to them and mentioning you miss how they talked about X topic and Z thing?

In my opinion, I feel nowadays it's about politics and everyone is focused on it as it makes news and money. It is sad because we don't need to hear about it all the time or it taking over a tv show. Trump has influenced others to talk about him and he is getting that media and attention.

I personally would be very upset if my favorite vblog changed into politics.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 13th 2017, 05:18 AM

Trump is a guaranteed ratings grab, that's why people are so obsessive about it.

I totally understand and agree with you about how people are abandoning their responsibilities just to make anti-Trump political statements. Most people who watch late-night shows watch them for good comedy and interviews, not to endure long, vulgar, anti-Trump monologues. I have seen a lot of backlash similar to your own regarding this and similar, and I don't blame you.

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: I Don't WANT TO KNOW about Donald Trump. - May 13th 2017, 07:08 PM

I get how you're feeling because I am not American. However, it is important for people to be informed and I think it's important to know what is going on in the States because my country is so closely tied to it. Keeping informed about politics is important and should be focused on in the news but in a neutral, unbiased manner (which isn't necessarily happening at the moment)

That said, I don't think that making fun of American politics via tv shows, comics, ect, is the best way to bring attention to politics/news.

Closed Thread