TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 26th 2017, 09:31 AM

Hello!

I hope you're having a nice day!

The only thing 'white privilege' advocates accomplish is.... keeping the divide alive. Horrible people.

There are problems - REAL problems - that we all need to work on. These fools keep that from happening.

Click on THIS to watch the video.

But hey! That's MY opinion. What do YOU think?!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!

Last edited by CanadaCraig; May 26th 2017 at 11:17 PM.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Krazy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 26th 2017, 12:43 PM

I fucking hate the concept of "whitesplaining" and I'm not even white. It's just a cop out.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 26th 2017, 03:08 PM

I don't have the time to completely watch the video all the way through but I will go ahead and agree that the majority - if not all - of white people do experience white privilege in some way, in some degree at some point in their life.
The problem with white privilege right now is that with it being highly publicized, it negatively impacts the opportunities and equality for the minority population; ie. drowning out the issues with minorities (not to say it never has happened before the boom of media).
My last name is often mistaken for being a "Mexican" last name because my father's father is of Spanish decent so often times I experience some form of racism every now and then (but never do a violent extent); for example, it was discovered that a dentist that I had was under-numbing his patients who were other than white (even though my patient paperwork states that I identify as Caucasian), or receiving mail and phone calls from people who are expecting a Spanish-speaking person. Though these are minor incidents, I cannot fully say 'I have experienced racism" but I can definitely say that I've never seen such an abundance of white privilege more than I have in the last maybe 5 years or so.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 26th 2017, 03:26 PM

This isn't a particularly educational video. For anybody tl;dr and want a summary of the video, it's goal was to pick and choose folks poorly explaining white privilege and "contradicting themselves" by asking on their views about prejudice without even defining what it is in the context of the question.

What's your real question of this debate? Are we debating if white privilege exists? Or whether believing it exists divides us? What is the question?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 26th 2017, 04:59 PM

Thank you for summarizing the video, Traci. I agree, what is the point of this thread? You, the OP,. don't even give a proper opinion and explanation to back up that opinion. For me, I'm torn when it comes to white privilege. There are some people out there who brags about their rights and flaunt it in front of minorities, but not every single white person is like that. If my interpretation is correct based on Traci's summary of the video, I'm guessing that the people who were speaking are of a minority race; and that would just make the whole thing incredibly racist. Again, saying it's not racist is actually white privilege.

Now, my statements might be controversial and now we could probably have a debate. But that's going off my post, not the original post and the video. Again, what is the purpose of this thread? What are we hoping to discuss here?

Personally, I think a lot of topics are worth debating but there are a few that should never be discussed and especially in today's world. Privilege of any sort is one of them because there is going to be at least one group of people who are going to lose their shit.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Krazy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 26th 2017, 05:09 PM

Just saw the video. LOL at them admitting they're racist. No, YOU'RE racist. Don't drag other white people down with you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 26th 2017, 08:45 PM

From the start I was very aware that it's quite easy to speak to lots of white people and lots of black people and simply pick and choose the respondents who portray white privilege in the way desired. I agree that to an extent it may add to the division, however ignoring it could also add to the division. By turning a blind eye to inequality, no matter how small or pointless it may seem, we risk taking the side of those with power already, which means that the struggles other people face carry on getting ignored. However, with topics like this you always have some people who agree and others who don't. Speaking as a white person who has never really faced any barriers as a result of my skin colour, whether that's explicit or implicit (i.e. lack of representation in the media etc), it's hard to have an opinion I can prove to others. It's tricky, and I know that a lot of black people I know would say white privilege has affected them, while others would, like the person in the video, call it a myth.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 27th 2017, 06:54 PM

I am unsure what the point of the post was? What are you trying to debate etc? If you are trying to debate the accuracy of White privilege (I.E if it exists) I would suggest that you look up Tim Wise on YouTube. If you type in Tim Wise White Privilege you will end up finding a pretty interesting video about the subject. Before I watched that video I didn't fully understand the concept.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 28th 2017, 11:18 AM

To put it short. I'm very individualistic about these kind of problems. Slavery was a huge dark page in American history, but this shouldn't give the non-Caucasian people the reason to treat Caucasian people with disrespect because what their forefathers might or might not have done to the non-Caucasian person's ancestors (Who might or might not have been a slave) and the concept of "white privilege" only tries to justify racial disrespect.

I havent had slaves (And I never will) so I shouldn't feel guilt about what my forefathers might or might not've done because thats not my responsibility (I wasnt even born yet around that time so why should I?)

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 29th 2017, 10:23 PM

White privilege is just an overblown term used by progressives to further push identity politics. I have yet to see anyone actual properly defend the concept.

Here is a very simple statement that destroys the idea of white privilege: If whites are so privileged, and use their privilege to oppress other races, how come Asians surpass whites when it comes to education and income, even though Asians were a historically oppressed group like blacks?

"Donald J. Trump, Eternal President of the United States, God-Emperor of Mankind, Defender of the Faith, Führer of the free world, Kaiser und Reichskanzler of the Tausendjähriges Trumpenreich, and literally the only reason you should have a Twitter account." -Random neo-nazi friend of mine

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"-Abraham Lincoln

(#11 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - May 31st 2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Here is a very simple statement that destroys the idea of white privilege: If whites are so privileged, and use their privilege to oppress other races, how come Asians surpass whites when it comes to education and income, even though Asians were a historically oppressed group like blacks?
There's a term called intersectionality where it means there are many facets to life. White privilege is the privilege that white people have racially. Meaning someone can be white and poor or white and uneducated, but they still have the privilege to not be stopped by immigration or be shot by cops. A white person can be dirt poor homeless uneducated--what have you. They can seem the least privileged of all people. But they still hold white privilege because they are white. Does that explain white privilege better?

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - June 2nd 2017, 05:17 AM

Christ, listening to Hillary read off a teleprompter makes me want to bash my head against a wall. And the white people who were speaking... Goddammit, this isn't that hard. Like I get that you're put on the spot, but come on, you've got better answers than that, Im sure.
But white privilege totally exists. Its institutionalized into the justice system. Its not always in your face, but its certainly in the statistics. Here's an easy example of how its true. So I smoke a fair amount of weed, right, but I never smoke weed thinking Ill get time over it if I get caught. However, while white and black people smoke weed at roughly the same rates, black people get arrested at four times the rate, and they often face far stiffer punishments than white people do. Is that a coincidence? No, that was the PURPOSE of the drug war. Nixon started the drug war to go after black people and liberal hippies. His aid literally SAID it. John Ehrlichman, Nixons aid, said that Nixon had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. Nixon knew he couldnt make it illegal to be black or liberal, so he illegalized weed and heroin to target and disrupt both communities. Ehrlichman SAID it. And guess what? We still have a drug war, and black people are still arrested for nonsense crimes at a higher rate.
So to me, thats an obvious example of white privilege. Maybe it isn't obvious to someone who doesnt smoke, but its a pretty common thought that goes through my head, that other people are risking their livelihoods far more than I am just to relax. I smoke weed on my front porch without a care in the world while my black friends worry about getting thrown in prison. White privilege. And that was just an easy example.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
City17 Offline
Crazy Bastard
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamed

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - June 3rd 2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallonRose View Post
I don't have the time to completely watch the video all the way through but I will go ahead and agree that the majority - if not all - of white people do experience white privilege in some way, in some degree at some point in their life.
The problem with white privilege right now is that with it being highly publicized, it negatively impacts the opportunities and equality for the minority population; ie. drowning out the issues with minorities (not to say it never has happened before the boom of media).
My last name is often mistaken for being a "Mexican" last name because my father's father is of Spanish decent so often times I experience some form of racism every now and then (but never do a violent extent); for example, it was discovered that a dentist that I had was under-numbing his patients who were other than white (even though my patient paperwork states that I identify as Caucasian), or receiving mail and phone calls from people who are expecting a Spanish-speaking person. Though these are minor incidents, I cannot fully say 'I have experienced racism" but I can definitely say that I've never seen such an abundance of white privilege more than I have in the last maybe 5 years or so.

A dentist failing to give enough anaesthetic to someone in the middle of a procedure with the goal of inflicting more pain than usual on them, is a violent offense. Holy crap.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: 'Whitesplaining' White Privilege - June 3rd 2017, 04:00 AM

^^^Yeah, that guy belongs in fuckin prison.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread