TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Medical results online? - July 8th 2017, 03:10 AM

Introduction to debate

This morning I went to get blood work done at this blood clinic (I was instructed to go there and not my doctors office as they show and process tests measures differently) and the nurse says, "are you interested in seeing what your results are online?" I was completely confused.

I was then given this card with my "code" on it where I can log in and check out all my tests results right there online. Only catch, I need to pay some fee (it was like less than $2 a month) just to sign up.

My thoughts

I guess it is a great idea? I don't need to look online for my results only to see what, I have cancer cells (for an example) and then sit there at home or where ever and freak out, when really I would want my doctor to call me schedule an appointment; me go in, where she tells me that. This gives me and her the time to talk about it. Seeing tests results where you go in and turns up you are positive with something or your blood something is wrong.

Then there is "google", google is great but googling to much into it, I mean, at some point it would tell you, "you will die from cancer" or some other thing. I find this to be dangerous.

As someone who has anxiety this would derail me and send me to a hospital or to the clinic.

My question

What are your thoughts on being able to see your test results online before your doctor even does and before they have the chance to call you to make an appointment to discuss the results?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Medical results online? - July 8th 2017, 04:41 AM

My primary doctor's office does a lot of stuff online, and one of the things I can get for free through them is all my test results.

She reviews them before I ever get to see them, and will leave notes on my results like "Such and such is a little high, but nothing to worry about" Or whatever the situation is. I think on the website it even says that you won't get the results till a few days after the doctor sees it.

So if it is handled that way: I'm totally for it, because it has saved me SO much hassle in my life, I've had a lot of tests run and if I had to have had MORE appointments just to deal with test results, it would have been a hassle.

But that said, if it was a situation where the doctor DOESN'T review the results first. I would worry about it, because it could be a bad way to see bad news first.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Medical results online? - July 8th 2017, 08:19 AM

There is a huge company in my area (they have two hospitals in my county and then the next county, they work with a heart hospital, a psych hospital and then individual doctors work with them as well) they have implemented something like this but it is free for all patients.

I find it helpful because the system will document upcoming appointments as well as blood test. However, I agree with you that if it is not monitored/reviewed by the doctor ahead of time it can leave the patient feeling anxious. I actually don't think the system here has the doctor make notes like Sarah's doctor is able too. I don't use it that often so I could be wrong. The reason I don't use it is because I know that if there is an issue with my labs the doctor will call and let me know that I need to come in for an appointment or they will tell me that the labs were normal and nothing to be worried about.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Medical results online? - July 8th 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaty View Post
She reviews them before I ever get to see them, and will leave notes on my results like "Such and such is a little high, but nothing to worry about" Or whatever the situation is. I think on the website it even says that you won't get the results till a few days after the doctor sees it.

So if it is handled that way: I'm totally for it, because it has saved me SO much hassle in my life, I've had a lot of tests run and if I had to have had MORE appointments just to deal with test results, it would have been a hassle.
That is a good point and a good way to do things. For me, I usually request my doctors office to at least call me (if I am actually worried about results) then they have one of the nurses or receptionists call me and read the note the doctor has written. I like this because if I do have questions I can always ask to be transfered to a Nurse Practitioner. If something shows on the results, they would call to schedule me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaty View Post
But that said, if it was a situation where the doctor DOESN'T review the results first. I would worry about it, because it could be a bad way to see bad news first.
It is a lab that is seperate from my doctors office. They basically, put the results up as they come in, before a doctor is able to see them. Which worries me and I feel it would cause stress to others, but some want to know before their doctor tells them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~;1290426[FONT=Century Gothic
]

I find it helpful because the system will document upcoming appointments as well as blood test. However, I agree with you that if it is not monitored/reviewed by the doctor ahead of time it can leave the patient feeling anxious. I actually don't think the system here has the doctor make notes like Sarah's doctor is able too. I don't use it that often so I could be wrong. The reason I don't use it is because I know that if there is an issue with my labs the doctor will call and let me know that I need to come in for an appointment or they will tell me that the labs were normal and nothing to be worried about.
I do trust my doctors office to give me a call if something where to happen. If the results are really bad, another doctor in the office will take a look at it and do the appropriate action.

I still feel iffy even if the doctor put notes on them and sees the results first, I would google the levels of tests and if it's higher/lower than the average and I am being told it's fine, I would be anxious because, it's not in the range and is off a little. No idea if that makes sense.
[/font]

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Medical results online? - July 8th 2017, 01:01 PM

Pretty much all healthcare in my area is connected to a big company, they also have the online patient stuff. I can see my test results, and I prefer this. Mine is set up with whatever values my test had, the normal range/numbers when appropriate, and a letter. There's no key for the different letters, but I know L is low, H is high, and I'm 99% sure N is normal. Some tests show up with a generic line for the actual test name, and I'm pretty sure it's all the ones that would show something that might make people freak out. So sometimes I can see if something came back abnormal, but I'd have to call to find out what it is and what it means.

I can understand why seeing test results isn't good for some people, but overall I think everyone should have the option. I prefer it because we often get calls saying our tests are normal when something is high/low, or really close.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Medical results online? - July 8th 2017, 08:00 PM

Hearing you guys talk about how these companies run the health care where you live is sooooo weird, companies do health care stuff where I live (e.g. you might go to a lab
to get bloodwork done which I guess is a company? Or a company might sell equipment to hospitals, but the hospitals themselves are not companies in the way that something that sells medical equipment is cause we've got government funded health care?

Any ways, I don't know how i feel about it. If you have a doctor who's really goos about calling an explaining results of tests right away then it could be ok, but if the doctor isn't calling / having you come in for sure to discuss it, this could potentially be really bad. Like what if it was 2 weeks before your appointment so you see them and have severe worry about your results, whereas if you had seen your doctor first they could have explained what it meant, how to treat anything that might be "wrong" and so on. I think people should have access to their records though.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Medical results online? - July 8th 2017, 10:41 PM

I don't know about my GP, but my GYN posts my tests results online. However, the one test I had, the office called and told me what the results were before I saw it online, although I'm not sure when they actually posted. I trust my doctor to call if something was wrong, such as the test result where my GYN's office told me and had me on antibiotics. However, if I had any questions on anything I also know the option is there to call and ask to ease my mind, even if it shows as normal.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Medical results online? - July 10th 2017, 03:20 PM

One thing I'm going to add about having the test results online.

Its really nice to have easy access to the records, and to be able to compare lab results. Especially if you are watching a level and want to compare them between months. And to be able to do that from home, and keep the record for years? Its nice. Might just be me who pays attention to this type of thing, I know other people who are like "Nope, don't like paying attention to this type of thing, thats what doctors are for!"

I also had to do something for my out of town doctor, I had to get a test drawn locally. And take the result to my appointment out of town (5 hours away). And I was able to get my result online because I did it through my primary doctor's office, and just print it and take it with.

And my office, it gives us the ranges of normal. And will mark when things are high/low. I'm also able to send a message back if need be, or call whenever if I have questions.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

Closed Thread