TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 28th 2017, 12:21 AM

I say Trump because so far no one is actually taking action on this. http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politi...efs/index.html

I wasn't even sure it was legit because our president still hasn't figured out that social media isn't where you announce policy decisions. They are trying to say it's based on the amount of money required for trans people to maintain their transition and because they don't believe the government should fund such care. I think it's obvious that this is a targeted attack by a conservative administration. So far I've only had one Facebook friend (Trump supporter) disagree with me. She says she actually agrees, but thinks it's a protection for trans people because of the ways they are treated by their fellow service members.

Hopefully this is just another one of his random outrageous statements that won't actually get done.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sense Prevails Offline
Never for my - Aw Mold Nigh
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: N/A

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 28th 2017, 12:36 AM

Logistically, it will be as you say. 'Random outrageous statement that won't actually get done.'

The main principle of an Army or Military is to bring the best out of an individual No matter where they come from or what they stand for. - That's why the british was able to have such diverse people fighting for its cause; and why America has employed convicts into its ranks of military.

It would be noted; that to maintain the identity of a transgender person would be scarce and limited in an environment that would not provide those creature comforts. This; is the sign-off you're willing to pay if you're going to join the Army.
While some have been conflicted over this; it is indeed fair game.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 28th 2017, 04:11 AM

Donald Trump is so full of shit. We wasted trillions of dollars on Afghanistan and Iraq for no Goddamn reason, and we only made things worse. The Pentagon made accounting errors for 6.5 trillion dollars. We wasted more than a trillion dollars on F-35 planes that don't even fly. On a smaller scale, we wasted 40 million dollars on woodland camouflage uniforms for Afghanistan, and Afghanistan barely has any trees. Our military wastes enormous sums of money all the time, but yeah, this is whats costing us too much money. Sex change surgeries would cost our military less than 10 million dollars, and this is the bullshit excuse Donald Trump has for it? If Donald Trump has SOOO much money (he claims he owns more than 10 billion dollars, but absolutely nothing can back that up), and if he cares so much about our army and the LGBT community, then he can pay for it himself.
But it isn't about that. Of course it isn't. He tried to distract us with this because his approval ratings are in the toilet and the investigation into his corruption is closing in. All Donald Trump thinks about is himself. Keep in mind that this is the guy who dodged the draft for Vietnam because he had (a rich dad) bone spurs in his foot, and he couldnt even remember which foot they were in during a debate. He's banning people who are patriotic enough to volunteer to fight and die so that Trump's lazy ass can drive around Mar-a-lago in a golf cart every weekend.
It's estimated that about 15,000 transgender people serve in the military. We had at least one transgender soldier in SEAL Team 6. And how does Donald Trump say thanks? By treating them like second-class citizens.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 28th 2017, 04:47 AM

Luckily, nothing has changed and no one can believe he actually did this except his diehard supporters posting crap like this statement to Facebook as if it defends or explains anything:

I don't care if you hate the military for it's policies, this was clearly targeted so pointing out the other ways in which it is discriminatory explains and defends NOTHING. As long as someone is qualified and capable, they should be allowed to serve.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PiercedGirl02 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Crystal

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 28th 2017, 02:45 PM

I despise Trump.

Unfortunately, my dad voted for him.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 28th 2017, 09:43 PM

this video pretty much sums up my opinion.
i agree with a lot of trump's policies and i am truly glad he's president, but this just doesn't make sense.
i do agree that serving in the military is a privilege, not a right. and i can see why a transgender who is experiencing great distress from gender dysphoria could be viewed as mentally unfit for the military. however, like the video talks about, what about transgenders who have already transitioned and are okay with themselves?

i actually don't understand how the whole money issue relates to transgenders being in the military. like, would the military have to pay for their transition or something..? i genuinely don't know what goes on with that because i don't know a lot about economics and health care etc.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 28th 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison.ivy View Post
this video pretty much sums up my opinion.
i agree with a lot of trump's policies and i am truly glad he's president, but this just doesn't make sense.
i do agree that serving in the military is a privilege, not a right. and i can see why a transgender who is experiencing great distress from gender dysphoria could be viewed as mentally unfit for the military. however, like the video talks about, what about transgenders who have already transitioned and are okay with themselves?

i actually don't understand how the whole money issue relates to transgenders being in the military. like, would the military have to pay for their transition or something..? i genuinely don't know what goes on with that because i don't know a lot about economics and health care etc.
My boyfriend was in the Navy back in 2008 or something like that. He said that at that time they had a rule where the military would pay for two elective surgeries for absolutely anyone serving. However, the person had to be able to explain to them how it would benefit them. So, if that rule is still in place, then yes, at some point the military might have to pay for the transition. But, people are basically picking and choosing what they are okay with covering and most people don't want to cover the transition but are fine covering other elective surgeries. Also, people don't want to pay for the hormones for those who have transitioned etc.

The issue I have with this ban is that you can't fit all transgender individuals into the same mold. Not all want to transition, not all have extreme gender dysphoria etc. I don't think that being transgender and not being able to perform in the military are mutually exclusive. I am sure that there are some transgender individuals who are not mentally fit to serve but being transgender alone should not be the excluding factor because in most cases I don't think that being transgender would be the reason the person is not fit for the military.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
City17 Offline
Crazy Bastard
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hamed

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 29th 2017, 11:38 AM

I don't mean to downplay military service or whatever, but I don't understand why someone would want to serve him and his government anyway.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - July 30th 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City17 View Post
I don't mean to downplay military service or whatever, but I don't understand why someone would want to serve him and his government anyway.
I don't necessarily think its about serving him and his government. A lot of people join the military to serve the people of the United States. Sometimes that means serving for a president that they don't like or agree with.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - August 1st 2017, 08:57 PM

I am torn about this statement. Short answer is, that I don't (fully) agree with this statement.

Now, the long answer.

First part is as an individualist. For that part, I wholeheartedly disagree with this. A trans person should have the same opportunity if he/she has the capabilities to defend/fight for his/her country and wants to serve his/her country. Being trans and not being able to serve in the military isn't mutually exclusive in my view.

But collectively speaking, I can see why the ban is in effect. Transgenders are more vulnerable to other mental issues such as depression and anxiety issues than "cis" people, gender dysphoria is in the DSM and the military would have to cover transition surgery if the soldier is planning on having such surgery which costs the US Military money that could be spent more wisely (That would be up for interpretation for you anti-Trump folk since you twist everything he does as negative, don't lie).

If the mental health factor is bigger than the financial factor (Like Trump said), a more viable alternative is to have transgenders only serve in defensive positions or work as an IT technician, nurse or repairman/woman. The military doesn't only need soldiers and people with mental ilnesses/disabilities could be detrimental to winning battles/future wars (That's not an insult, that's just being realistic). But seeing the financial factor being the leading cause, the only compromise is to not include transition coverage or maybe even halt transition at itself during his/her military tenure if it means getting the best out of that individual.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - August 9th 2017, 01:49 AM

Trump has been making the worst decisions based off bigotry

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Trump bans Transgender people from US military service - August 9th 2017, 10:48 AM

I think the military is the least suitable playground for identity politics fiascos. The military has one job: defend the country. It's not meant to be a social experiment of any sort, or a charity organization, or anything else. We have other institutions for these purposes.

Still, I think this issue is a footnote, and not even in history. A month from now no one will even remember this.

A tweet isn't even an official order. No one cares. I'm guessing Trump only put this out there to troll people and distract them from other problems, and it worked that purpose very well.

Just look at this thread. The most replies out out of all others.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread