TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Exclamation North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 25th 2009, 05:05 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...eref=rss_world
Quote:
North Korea has conducted its second nuclear test, the country's state news agency announced Monday. The confirmation came little more than an hour after the U.S. Geological Survey reported a magnitude 4.7 seismic disturbance at the site of North Korea's first nuclear test in October 2006. The North Korea's Korean Central News Agency said Monday's test was conducted "as part of the measures to bolster up its nuclear deterrent for self-defense in every way." In Seoul, South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak's office said the country was investigating the reported test and would hold an emergency meeting of its national security council. And in Tokyo, Prime Minister Taro Aso's office said it has set up a special task force to look into the test and how to respond. There was no immediate response from Washington or Beijing. Watch how the test may have taken world by surprise Ľ "The current nuclear test was safely conducted on a new higher level in terms of its explosive power and technology of its control and the results of the test helped satisfactorily settle the scientific and technological problems arising in further increasing the power of nuclear weapons and steadily developing nuclear technology," KCNA announced. There was no immediate information on the yield of the weapon used. But the first North Korean test produced, according to U.S. intelligence estimates, an explosion equal to less than 1,000 tons of TNT -- a fraction of the size of the bombs the United States dropped on Japan at the end of World War II. Watch South Korea's initial reaction to North Korea's nuclear test Ľ The test, which North Korea had threatened after the U.N. Security Council criticized Pyongyang's April 5 test of a long-range rocket, was "faster than expected," said Jim Walsh, an international security analyst at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The questions raised by the test are less military and more political, he added. "We know so little about this country," Walsh told CNN. "We don't have good relations with them, they're going through a leadership transition and on top of that, they test a nuclear weapon. So the problem with this is we're not going to have military action, but it's all the uncertainty and political consequences." The test comes two days after former South Korean President Roh Moo-Hyun, who'd sought improved relations with North Korea during his 2003-2008 tenure, committed suicide. Just before he left the presidency, Roh became the first South Korean leader to cross the demilitarized zone and meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il . Watch how Roh's legacy may be remembered Ľ Roh's successor, Lee, takes a harder line on the north and has so far not continued Roh's efforts. The test also comes less than three weeks after the United States announced a new diplomatic effort to restart the stalled North Korean nuclear talks. The Obama administration's designated point person on North Korea, Stephen Bosworth, visited the region for talks with China, South Korea, Japan and Russia -- the other participants in the six-party talks. In July 2008 negotiators reached agreement with Pyongyang on a timetable for North Korea to resume disabling its nuclear facilities. But the reclusive communist state balked at the deal, demanding the United States first take it off its list of state sponsors of terrorism. The Bush administration lifted that designation in October, but plans to push for an agreement allowing the other parties to check whether Pyongyang has revealed all of its nuclear secrets stalled. In June 2008, North Korea acknowledged producing roughly 40 kilograms of enriched plutonium -- enough for about seven nuclear bombs. But North Korea remains "years and years" away from having a weapon it can put atop a long-range missile like those in the United States, Chinese or Russian arsenals, said Walsh, the international security analyst. "Nothing good" can come from Monday's test, he said, "but it doesn't mean they're going to have a real working nuclear weapon tomorrow or next year."

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 25th 2009, 04:14 PM

So?

Same thing as always. North Korea has tough words, the West has tough words, sanctions are threatened, nothing becomes of it.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 25th 2009, 09:21 PM

Sigh. I'm very convinced that eventually, some nation is going to kill us all with nuclear weapons, either intentionally or unintentionally. But there seems to be little to be done about it.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 26th 2009, 02:01 AM

Oh wow, we a put a mini nuke in an abandoned mine and detonated it. Grrr, we're big and strong.

Nothing is going to come of this. They'll act tough, we'll threaten sanctions, they'll back down and offer negotiations, again. It's stupid, but right now its all they seem to know how to do in order to open talks with us.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 26th 2009, 02:22 AM

It's only a matter of time before North Korea uses a Nuke Bomb on the United States.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 26th 2009, 02:24 AM

The more sanctions we impose, the more we piss them off, and the more we piss them off, the more inclined they are to set off their nuclear weapons. Can't win.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 26th 2009, 04:27 AM

While North Korea are agressive, there is almost zero chance they would nuke the US. a) They dont want to be pulverised in the ground and b) They are much more likely to use it on South Korea.

It's just posturing to deal with domestic issues of poverty and question over Kim's health.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hi_ImJordan Offline
Average Joe

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 26th 2009, 11:14 PM

good for them

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 27th 2009, 04:35 AM

Of course North Korea is doing this.

Because Obama is a weak leader.

His foreign relations strategy sucks. Its like bush but cheaper. ineffective...

No offence obama fan girls and guys. But obama can talk all he wants he will never be as good as jfk and never will be when it comes to stopping the nukes.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 27th 2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
Of course North Korea is doing this.

Because Obama is a weak leader.

His foreign relations strategy sucks. Its like bush but cheaper. ineffective...

No offence obama fan girls and guys. But obama can talk all he wants he will never be as good as jfk and never will be when it comes to stopping the nukes.
I highly doubt the sole reason North Korea is testing nuclear weapons is because Obama is the president of the US. Despite what many americans like to think, the entire world doesn't always revolve around them.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

(#11 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 27th 2009, 07:58 AM

Ill probabley way up some time next week and everything around me will be a smouldering, radioactive wasteland.

knowing my luck ill be the only one left...
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 27th 2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
It's only a matter of time before North Korea uses a Nuke Bomb on the United States.
Please tell me that this is a random statement that has no backing from you.

North Korea may have a military, and they may have nuclear weapons, but they would never nuke the U.S., because we have the strongest military in the world, as well as the largest nuclear arsenal. They can threaten all they want, but the fact remains that they know as well as any other country that nuking the U.S. will lead to their own demise.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 27th 2009, 07:23 PM

Eh, I'd like to read the "International Law" that it is against. If we are allowed to test these weapons, why can't we exactly?

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#14 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 27th 2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Eh, I'd like to read the "International Law" that it is against. If we are allowed to test these weapons, why can't we exactly?
Becouse if America happend to test launch a Nuclear Missile then somewhere in Russia, Asia or the Middle East a group of people will accuse the U.S of attacking them.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 27th 2009, 07:50 PM

So with anti air missiles, when they grab the nuclear weapon and sink it in the ocean, what happens?

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
HenryClay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 29th 2009, 04:50 AM

This is merely political sabre rattling. It is doubtful that North Korea or any country would try using nuclear arms against another country. If North Korea did launch nuclear armed missiles, the country would be blown off the face of the Earth by the US and the rest of NATO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Limited Test Ban Treaty of 1963

"Treaty that prohibits all tests of nuclear weapons except those conducted underground."

That's the deal with nuclear arms testing. Although it does not help that North Korea has not signed this treaty.

Last edited by HenryClay; May 29th 2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
JoJoWildHorse Offline
Jo Jo
Not a n00b

Name: Jo Jo

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 29th 2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
Oh wow, we a put a mini nuke in an abandoned mine and detonated it. Grrr, we're big and strong.

Nothing is going to come of this. They'll act tough, we'll threaten sanctions, they'll back down and offer negotiations, again. It's stupid, but right now its all they seem to know how to do in order to open talks with us.
Don't underestimate NK.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

Quote:
Hours after North Korea vowed on Friday that it would take further "self-defense" measures if provoked by the UN Security Council, which is expected to soon discuss how to punish the regime for its nuclear test, the communist state test fired another missile.

According to South Korea's Yonhap news, North Korea launched a short-range missile off its east coast, the sixth such test since Monday. There was no official confirmation of the launch.

Earlier, Pyongyang's Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the country would not recognize any Security Council resolutions unless the council first apologizes for criticizing Pyongyang's April 5 rocket launch.

"It will be inevitable for us to take further self-defense measures" if the council provokes the North, the statement said."
Though it was a short range missile that they fired this time, they've already said that they will not back down if the UN tries to put sanctions on their missile testing.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...nXoyVHZn_NZDYw

Quote:
North Korea fired another short-range missile on Friday and threatened fresh steps to defend itself if world powers impose sanctions for its nuclear test, as tensions persisted on the Korean peninsula.
Quote:
"If the UN Security Council provokes us, our additional self-defence measures will be inevitable," the North's foreign ministry said in a statement carried by official media.
"The world will soon witness how our army and people stand up against oppression and despotism by the UNSC and uphold their dignity and independence."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
Please tell me that this is a random statement that has no backing from you.

North Korea may have a military, and they may have nuclear weapons, but they would never nuke the U.S., because we have the strongest military in the world, as well as the largest nuclear arsenal. They can threaten all they want, but the fact remains that they know as well as any other country that nuking the U.S. will lead to their own demise.

Our troops, and our military is not as good as we would like to think we are. Many of our men are young, wild, and somewhat reckless.

Our forces are stretched thin, and as we are already in the middle of a war in the middle east, we do not have the manpower to operate in another country overseas.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6376817.ece

Quote:
US and South Korean forces raised their military alert level today, a day after North Korea renounced the 55-year-old truce on the peninsula and threatened war if its ships are searched for weapons of mass destruction.
Three days after North Korea carried out an underground nuclear test, the US-South Korea combined forces command moved its level of surveillance to the second-highest level on its scale of five, the highest since North Koreaís first nuclear test in 2006.
Quote:
South Korea has 670,000 soldiers supported by 28,500 South Korean troops and, since the Korean War ended in an Armistice in 1953, they have engaged in only minor exchanges with the million-strong army of the North.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...GdhxG1b1BPtPtQ

Quote:
The United States said there was no need to increase its troop numbers in South Korea, after North Korea threatened an attack following its latest test of a nuclear bomb.
Tensions have been running high since the secretive North tested an atomic bomb on Monday and then announced it would no longer be bound by the armistice that ended the Korean War in 1953.
US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said he was "not aware" of any unusual troop movements in the North, which has around 1.1 million soldiers. South Korea's military numbers 680,000 along with 28,500 US forces in the country.

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said he was "not aware" of any unusual troop movements in the North, which has around 1.1 million soldiers. South Korea's military numbers 680,000 along with 28,500 US forces in the country.
"I don't think there is a need for us to reinforce our military presence in the South," said Gates, who was en route to a regional security meeting in Singapore.

My Beautiful Daughter

Born: March 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm.
She was: 6 pounds & 4 ounces at 20 inches long.

She is with her new family, Brian & Jessica who love her almost as much as I do.

Last edited by JoJoWildHorse; May 29th 2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
  Send a message via Yahoo to JoJoWildHorse  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 29th 2009, 02:23 PM

same story here in the uk
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 29th 2009, 10:20 PM

Damn Einstein.

Anyway hopefully North Korea will either back down or some negotiations will be sorted out, I don't want a war and if America gets involved we won't be far behind them again I expect.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 29th 2009, 10:54 PM

The only way America will fight is if Korea attacks first.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 30th 2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
The only way America will fight is if Korea attacks first.
Just like Iraq?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: North Korea confirms nuclear test - May 31st 2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
I highly doubt the sole reason North Korea is testing nuclear weapons is because Obama is the president of the US. Despite what many americans like to think, the entire world doesn't always revolve around them.

I second on this.

North Korea will probably use it on the south and carry on with the Korean war which never really ended...
The US will then get involved as they always do (but i guess they should seeing a they ARE the most powerful country in the world and need to keep a certain amount of control over corrupt countries...just as long as they don't take it beyond boundries which they most likely will - like MacArthur in the korean war...

Sorry, i could rant for days.. lol

Closed Thread