TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Hurricane irma - September 10th 2017, 04:00 PM

Im not sure where to put this thread. It is something that is bothering me personally, but it is also a current event(Im definitely not the only one stressing over this). Is anyone paying attention to the storm? Unfortunatly for me, it is projecting to make a direct hit here as a cat 3 or 4. Im safe on higher ground (still directly in the projected path though)- but the house I grew up in and almost everything I know is nearer to the water. It is expected to hit in less than 24 hours.

This could be a real problem. Several feet of water could come in and ruin that house and all the stuff ive gathered over my childhood,etc. For those who dont know- storm surge can ruin everything.It is the most damaging part of a hurricane.It is salt water and you can imagine what several feet of that can do to your home. I really dont need this right now.Ive already been under a lot of stress.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Hurricane irma - September 10th 2017, 11:26 PM

I'm so sorry this is happening. I really hope that your family and belongings stay safe. I've been keeping a close eye on this hurricane as well; it was originally projected to come my way, but thankfully for me, it changed and went west and I'll only be receiving some tropical storm weather.

Let us know if there's anything we can do to support you; this goes to any other Caribbean and Southeast Florida TeenHelpers who are impacted.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Hurricane irma - September 11th 2017, 12:00 AM

I'm supposed to receive the worst of it (at least the worst my area will see) in about 5 hours. We've had an obnoxious number of hurricane warnings today. I still have power but it keeps flickering. I'm already bored because despite having power, my laptop charger died. Today of all days.

I hope everyone else remains safe.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hurricane irma - September 11th 2017, 12:57 AM

I have been watching a bit and I hope that you and anyone else who is dealing with this will be okay. If there is anything we can do as a site to support you all please let us know.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Hurricane irma - September 11th 2017, 02:35 AM

I've been watching this.
I am keeping you and everyone in the impacted areas on my thoughts. I know a few people in the impacted areas.

Like it has been said, let us know how we can support you as a site. Thinking of all of you <3

On a side note....there's also Jose coming right behind which is expected to hit my area. I am worried about how evacuating will be like with my 11 year old indoor cat who is terrified of going outside and he was traumatized when we transported him just across the street when we moved 2 years ago.
I am worried about being around my family because things are already bad. I was already staying at a shelter a last month just to get away from them. I know if isn't the biggest deal but being around people who are prone to bickering is especially hard in extra stressful situations. I'm afraid that cooperation and working together isn't going to happen the way things seem to be going at home. And there really isn't time for immaturity or playing games or bullying. But I also know I need to keep my own tempter under control and stay away from the drama or I will be pulled right into it. I just need to focus on the important things, gahh.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Hurricane irma - September 11th 2017, 07:30 AM

Thanks for your responses.

Update: fortunately (for me) the storm made landfall south before it came here and weakened significantly. It is very unlikely we got any storm surge. Which is great news.

Right now, I am in the eye of Irma- we just got some winds with signs amd branches blown down. Nothing too bad.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; September 11th 2017 at 08:22 AM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Hurricane irma - September 13th 2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Thanks for your responses.

Update: fortunately (for me) the storm made landfall south before it came here and weakened significantly. It is very unlikely we got any storm surge. Which is great news.

Right now, I am in the eye of Irma- we just got some winds with signs amd branches blown down. Nothing too bad.

Sounds like you're relieved the storm was not as strong as anticipated. That's good to hear. I'm hoping the worst of it is over. Keep us updated if you can.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Markus Offline
Professional Human

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Marcus

Re: Hurricane irma - September 13th 2017, 03:34 PM

Hope everything is well for everyone. Hang in there.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Hurricane irma - September 15th 2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum View Post
Sounds like you're relieved the storm was not as strong as anticipated. That's good to hear. I'm hoping the worst of it is over. Keep us updated if you can.
Thanks - yeah the worst is over. Everything is finallly open again. My classes are still cancelled (school is open but all my professors cancelled). The hurricane is completely gone though and almost all of the visible damage here has been fixed.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Hurricane irma - September 15th 2017, 05:33 PM

We were also hit by Irma, we lost power for about 18 hours, so everything in the fridge was lost. But other than that, we didn't sustain damage. There are plenty of people in my area still without power though, it's rough. Best wishes to you, your family and your community as you rebuild and repair.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hurricane irma - September 16th 2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Thanks - yeah the worst is over. Everything is finallly open again. My classes are still cancelled (school is open but all my professors cancelled). The hurricane is completely gone though and almost all of the visible damage here has been fixed.
Hope things are getting better with each passing day. So sorry you and everyone else had had to experience this.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Hurricane irma - September 17th 2017, 11:00 AM

I can't believe how long it's taking stores to restock. Shelves are still mostly empty and almost all the fresh food is gone since most stores had to throw it all out. If any of these other storms hit in the next week or two my area is gonna starve I have to say though, Publix did a phenomenal job getting shipments of water and such before Irma.

I also don't understand how so many people can stand to still have hurricane shutters up (not the clear ones). I would go nuts without any sunlight in the house for over a week. My dad had them down before the wind totally stopped.

10.5% of my county is still without power, which is quite a lot of people. After Irma it was 86% so it's still a pretty big improvement. Almost the entire county has safe water again too. We're still being asked to conserve water though, or we'll end up with a boil water notice.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread