TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Legalized Prostitution - October 11th 2017, 01:54 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

It's been a while since we've had a policy discussion, so here we go.
I'm from a city that is in debt up to their ears and is living off of a shoestring budget. We have one of the highest crime rates in the nation but we have to keep cutting cops in order to balance the budget. As of right now, there are 100 police for 100,000 people. One idea I had to generate revenue and fix the problem was to legalize drugs and prostitution; I'll just focus on the prostitution aspect, though. Here's my case for legal prostitution in my city.
If my city legalized and taxed prostitution, we would be one of two areas in America with legalized prostitution; the only other place is Nevada, where brothels are allowed in certain areas. If we created a red light district or even just allowed the brothels, my city would be able to generate millions of dollars through taxes and tourism because we would essentially have a monopoly on the business on this side of the country. People would flock to my city from all over; sex sells, and people are willing to travel and pay through the nose for it.
We would also be able to save money by letting the cops ignore prostitutes, and they'd be able to go after violent criminals. Pimps would barely exist; they would no longer own the black market on prostitutes. This means that the pimps won't be there to abuse the women. If a prostitute is self-employed or works at a brothel, they can sue their customers or employers instead of having to deal with them through violence. Rapes would also decrease because the prostitutes have the leverage to call the police, who will help them instead of arrest them.
There would be less broken families. If prostitutes aren't going to prison, they can stay with their families. Some people might argue that a prostitute wouldn't make for a good mother or father, and I honestly wouldn't know if that's true or not. What I do know is that they'd have money to feed their families, and that's a tough thing to do in one of the poorest cities in America. I meet malnourished children around town all the time.
Prison overcrowding. Our city also has a problem with prison overcrowding, so this could help alleviate that. Our tax money would be more efficient because we would be going after violent criminals instead of nonviolent ones. (with my other idea of drug legalization, we'd be ignoring nonviolent drug users as well)
The STD rate would plummet for prostitutes and their customers. In areas where prostitutes are legally employed and work 40 hours, their employers are mandated to give them healthcare in the US according to the Affordable Care Act. The STD rate would be far lower among prostitutes who can get regular checkups, and any prostitutes that got something horrible and incurable like HIV/AIDS would be regulated out of the business until a doctor says they are safe (admittedly not very likely). This problem, however, could be solved by screening the clients to make sure they can't give the prostitutes STDs. The brothel can also require using condoms and birth control.
From a fiscally conservative/libertarian perspective, legalizing prostitution also makes sense. There is less government (less tax money spent going after prostitutes) and more capitalism, as well as more personal freedom. For social conservatives, of course, this would never fly.
As I was saying, my city would get TONS of money for having a monopoly on prostitution and prostitution taxes. They could use it for anything; police, rebuilding our infrastructure, rebuilding our schools, city-wide tax-funded healthcare, they could fix our poisonous water problem, or even just pay off the debt. The possibilities are endless.
Are there obstacles? Yeah. Social conservatives would throw a tantrum. Also, some countries with legal prostitution have higher trafficking rates, although I believe this could be solved by requiring sex workers to carry a license and work strictly out of a brothel. It wouldn't completely eliminate the black market because some people would want cheaper sex, or they would skirt the STD screening process by prostituting illegally. Also, and maybe most importantly, US law supersedes state law, and state law supersedes city law. According to federal law, police can potentially go after brothels like they can potentially go after medical marijuana clinics. With marijuana though, this does not often occur because the people usually vote on it.
One concern you might have may be the image of our city, but we only recently lost the title of "murder capital of America". I'll trade that for "prostitution capital of America" any day of the week. (more cops=less murders)

Sorry I wrote another thesis, but I really want to go to our city council with this idea. Our city needs serious help and this idea is a gold mine. Can anyone make suggestions or poke holes in this idea so I can correct any problems I might've forgotten about? (Keep in mind that religious-based arguments are invalid based off of the United States' secular government)

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Last edited by MsNobleEleanor; October 11th 2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Adding prefix for the younger audience

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Legalized Prostitution - October 11th 2017, 05:19 PM

I agree with a lot of what you've said. I think it should be legalized because prostitution is not going to go away but if it were legalized it could be made safer for the prostitutes as well as the people who go to them.

I don't think that being a prostitute makes someone a bad parent. There would be factors, are they abusing drugs? Are they neglecting the children? A lot of people become prostitutes out of necessity and not because they are morally bankrupt. I mean, sex work, isn't outright terrible as long as the person is safe.

I think there would be benefits to legalizing it. I believe, that in Nevada, the workers have to get std tests a lot to basically comply and the location where the prostitution takes place also has to meet certain standards.

There will always be those people who don't follow the rules but I do think that legalizing it could help.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hanna Banana Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Hanna

Re: Legalized Prostitution - October 11th 2017, 06:41 PM

A prostitute becomes a prostitute because they need a way of life and money. The bad part is to become a prostitute most have to go about it in bad ways like through a Pimp or something like that. All that usually leads to is drug use, being abused, and basically turning the money over to the Pimp. So in many ways what the OP is saying is correct about legalizing prostitution would definitely make it must safer on the woman and men becoming prostitutes. Also like you said it would eliminate the Pimps which would also eliminate a lot of other bad things.

"Every challenge is an opportunity to prove to the world that you are, Extraordinary."~ Lzzy Hale of Halestorm

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kyburg Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Legalized Prostitution - October 11th 2017, 07:31 PM

Your argument is very strong, and I suspect the only opposition to it would be on "moral" grounds that prostitution is wrong. Personally, I think it should be legalized because, as has been said, it makes the profession far safer for everyone involved. In my city, lobby groups are trying very hard to get prostitution legalized to protect their rights as they are frequently the victims of abuse and violent crime. It is unacceptable that a government would so casually abandon its people purely because of their choice of work.

If you do intend to write to your city council on this matter, include examples of how it is regulated in countries like Switzerland and the Netherlands. Also show how the legalisation has affected crimes against prostitutes, etc. It will make your argument that much stronger.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Legalized Prostitution - October 13th 2017, 08:51 AM

I agree with you. I live in a country where prostitution is legal (Netherlands) and one of the biggest things that attracts tourists are the red light districts, which is good for business and tourism there. It would help a lot of Americans if they have a alternative that is near them instead of traveling through continents.

It would also lessen trafficking too with licenses and probably an age cap (either 18 or 21) for working in the prostitution business for that extra layer.

I also think rapes will decrease also because desperate, sex-ridden people have a legal way to help their needs instead of taking chances with random women at some bar/club where he could get fined/jailed for essentially looking ugly/short or using crap flirting techniques, or raping some random woman on the street because how else would he have his needs accorded to? Instead of risking false rape accusations, they can just pay a hooker to accord to their needs and there's another problem solved.

Social conservatives should take the L with this to be honest. You shouldn't control other people's behaviors you have no input in and the financial reason is perfect

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Legalized Prostitution - October 13th 2017, 07:42 PM

i agree with you 100%.
even when i was younger and first heard of prostitution, i couldn't grasp why on earth it would be illegal. as long as it's two consenting adults, i don't see why not...? even from a moral aspect. i tend to think along the lines of "every man for himself" and really don't care what other people do so long as it doesn't affect others and they don't try to push it on others. if a person wants to sell his or her body, why not?
the positive economical effects it would have are also just a huge plus.

i seriously think you should take this to your city council. you have a really strong argument and i would hope that people would be able to put aside whatever prejudices they may have about this subject in order to give your idea a fair and unbiased chance.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Legalized Prostitution - October 14th 2017, 05:02 PM

Your body; your choice

"Smooth seas do not a skilled sailor make."-mark twain
  Send a message via Skype™ to formerly chevyguy350 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Legalized Prostitution - October 14th 2017, 09:40 PM

From all the evidence I looked through about a year ago on this topic... legalizing prostitution almost unanimously reduced crime rates (associated with violence, extortion, murder etc. ) in those towns where it was implemented.

When you force an economy onto the black market by banning it's trade, you immediately increase the risks for the people involved. If you are unable to provide any alternative opportunities of employment for them, then you're not helping them, only hurting them.

In some cases, banning the trade of something that is positively harmful to people is a good idea. But prostitution hurts no one by itself. It may ironically even be the most consensual form of sexual intercourse that exists: both people agree to exchange money for sex.

The arguments I've most often heard against legalizing prostitution are grounded in moralistic grandstanding, instead of any rational reasoning.

Besides, there are plenty of women who marry for money, regardless of prostitution being legal or not. Regulating this stuff is idiotic and no one's business.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread