TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

How to live life easy: fuck the Joneses - November 5th 2017, 06:05 PM

Almost every person I know is living beyond their means in some way or other. Being wasteful. Even those who brag about sustainability and eco-this eco-that, prance around with fucking I-phones during lunch brakes. Then I see some of these people shoplifting bananas and apples in the canteen. As if they can't afford food they need to eat. And I've known people like this well enough in the past to know that this is precisely the case. They get money from their mommy & daddy to spend at university, forget they need to eat to survive and instead spend on it on looking "swag" during freshers' week.

Fail.

I'm a little guilty of it myself (although I've never shoplifted). I suppose the main difference is that I never spent money I didn't have. I literally find it impossible. It's like a self-defense reflex I have built-in. Like how people raise their arms to protect their face when they're falling from a height. It goes further than that now. I don't buy things I do not need either. If I'm about to, it feels sort of like if you were to try and stick a pin into your own hand. You just can't do it.

On the other extreme, I've observed some people can't even get a fucking night's sleep knowing that they have some spare money in the bank to spend on new shoes, LCD screen, or some other shit. They toss and turn, until they suddenly tear themselves out of bed at 2am just to buy a new PC game.

This is a mental disorder.

Get help if you're one of those people. You'll never retire at that rate, and probably die poor. And it won't be anyone else's fault except yours. Not George Soros. Not Trump. Not Obama, Thatcher, your parents or the EU. This really goes beyond just "money". I hate the argument of "x is a social construct", but money is actually a social construct, and although it is the greatest one there exists, it's still just a social construct. People are chasing money to pay for shit they don't need on a daily basis. This is not a right-wing or left-wing problem.

I understand, some people have to do this. Some people actually have a family they need to look after and provide for. Most people I know, do not have to do this however. Most people I know only have themselves to look after, and they can't even fucking manage that. It's frankly pathetic. And on top of it some of them have the arrogance to lecture other people on their lifestyles. I do not comprehend people who force themselves to work all year round, to squeeze the maximum possible income out of their job, just so they can spend it on a new TV for their living room before Christmas. Or even to spend it on a new I-Pad for their kids.

I did a calculation and worked out I could get by on 9-months of work a year in the UK (London gets very difficult though). Yes, I'd earn less. But I'd have 3 months a year entirely to myself, that I could use more productively than slaving away to boost someone else's profit margins. What it would mean is:
- No TV
- No car (why bother with a car in London anyway? to show off? pft)
- Chinese imports (smartphone, tablet, etc. for half the price)
- Cheap food (mostly bought from local markets), instead of all this fancy shit with 'organic' labels, that only costs twice as much because fools are willing to spend that much money on it
- etc.

Pretty much the bare necessities. I hate all this peripheral trash in my life anyway, and the maintenance and attention it requires. Either you have to spend 15000 on a new car, or you buy a used one and have to take it to a mechanic every few months, or spend hours, sometimes even days messing around with it yourself. Every shitty subscription service that I'd need to keep track of, every faulty item that needs to be returned on guarantee, every asshole in every company who is defiant about it, every failed delivery. Why bother, if you don't have to? To "impress" people? Get your head straight.

People just do not know the most straight forward ways to keep their lives simple and stress free.

I value my time 10x more than I value my money. I need whatever money to get by. To eat, sleep, do my work, go out occasionally with friends and not feel stressed about overspending, etc. I suppose it depends on what friends you keep as well. I've gotten rid of the chronic failures in my life who don't waste an opportunity for a pissing contest.

The rest of the time is mine, and mine alone. No one has a "right" to it, nor is there any way they can extort it from me. No taxes. No "friends" or relatives begging for shit. No one interested in mugging me. Much less problems.

If everything is going so well, why do I sound so pissed off then? Well, because numerous people in my life seem to assume that just because I have more "free time", it means that I'm free to waste that time fking about doing useless shit, like hanging around after lectures drinking for 3 hours. Or weeding the garden for 5 hours on a weekend. No.

In effect, they assume that because I managed to get my own life in order, it is now my job to sort theirs out. As if they're 5 years old.

I'm having to lie to people and pretend like I'm busy when I'm not, just to get them to stop nagging me. Like I said I value my time and money. I don't go through the effort of earning money, just to waste it on shit. Neither do I go through the effort of saving time, just to waste it doing shit.

To put it in one sentence: what annoys me the most is people who assume I have time to waste just because I have "free time". Because "YOLO". And then they try to guilt me.

FO.

I earned my free time. Why should I do weeding on weekends, that someone else could do for 8 an hour, when I could earn minimum 25 an hour just doing a graduate job? And what's the point in me working 365 days a year, if I can get all the money I need working just 300 days a year? These are the calculations I do in my head before almost every task, and if the maths doesn't work... then it doesn't work and I don't do it. If other people are too fking incompetent to figure out their priorities, why should I be penalized or made to feel guilty for it?

I don't mind paying for it. 8 an hour isn't shit to me. As said already, I value my time a lot more than I do my money. I keep money saved for this sort of shit so that I don't have to do it myself, but that's not good enough for "some people".

Every person accusing another of being "selfish" is guilty of it themselves. After all, what is there that entitles you to another person's time, money, or energy? Nothing, unless you already have an agreement with that person. Something in exchange for another.

I feel like there's another nuclear winter coming up in my life. I'm going to have to push out more people. By force. Either that or I have to lie to them. What I'm not willing to do is waste time arguing with them. I've already done that and got nowhere.

I do not mind helping people. I even enjoy it. But it needs to be something that feels fulfilling. It needs to be something that I actually get something out of. That I learn something from. I even wanted to volunteer for charity services helping homeless people (but have in fact been overworked in the past month), because it's an experience I've never had, and I think I could learn something from it.

And I don't enjoy helping people who don't need help. That is just fucking pathetic and parasitic. I do not like being asked to lend money to someone to buy food, when they are parading about with a new I-Phone. Eat your I-Phone, with the charger, plugged into the mains. This applies to so many contexts as well. I do not like tax money being spent subsidizing parasites who breed children for welfare. I do not like insurance money being spent to settle fake accident claims for assholes who trip over their shoelaces or slip on a leaf. I do not like money being sent abroad on foreign aid, only 20% of which reaches the people it's intended to help (the other 80% presumably making already wealthy people even wealthier).

Leave these people to rot for all I care.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; November 7th 2017 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Adding a strong language prefix

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: How to live life easy: fuck the Joneses - November 6th 2017, 04:13 PM

(brief continuation)

There are 70 million people in the UK. About 70% of them are "economically active" (either working, or looking for a job). That's nearly 50 million people in the country.

How much time is wasted on daily basis, across the country, by 50 million people who have to consistently put up with this pointless shit??? Like all the form filling required to enroll on government-sponsored (or EU sponsored) courses.

Has anyone here ever seen those things?!?! What the fuuuuk. I might as well just pay 25 and save myself an hour spent on this shit. And their teaching quality is usually below-standard anyway.

And consistently over the past few years I've noticed the personal details required by websites online increase. Always wanting more and more information from people sometimes just to read a fking news article.

And that you need to sign your name in about 5 different places before enrolling on a Karate course, to certify that you're 1)human 2)alive 3)healthy 4)I don't remember 5)some other shit. Just so they don't get sued by some fucker who used his asthma as an excuse for spraining an ankle during a taster session. I turned up to a taster session 5 weeks ago that was meant to last 2 hours. I spent the first 30 minutes filling out forms. fml. If I knew I'd have not bothered turning up.

Half the reason why human resource departments exist in big companies, is so the firm doesn't get discrimination lawsuits filed against it because some black kid happened to be the last in the queue for the interview in an assessment center, and the interviewer was fed-up and tired by the end of a long day (as is natural) talking with folks have of who can't put together a sentence without stuttering*. The cost of employing these extra people to do this, raises operating costs for the company, raises the costs of their services, and increases the prices ordinary people have to pay for these services.

How about just scrapping the legislation that gives such exceptional imbeciles the power to do sue others for stupid reasons? Instead of penalizing hundreds of thousands of other people with this shit.

Who bothers reading the terms and conditions, when they're 20 pages long?

Ordinary people can't afford lawyers, personal assistants and secretaries to deal with this garbage for them. I could swear that this is probably the biggest hidden cancer strangling the economy, that no one is talking about.

Look at the UK housing market. No reputed property developer gives a shit about building affordable housing, because the business case doesn't work when 10-30% of your operating costs (tens of millions) are spent on lawyers and other assholes just to make sure your building isn't on a sacred site where some rare bird made a nest. There's no profit to be made, if you can only sell the house for 200 000 (affordable). The only way you can profit is if you build housing estates selling apartments for millions.

Again, the costs are being passed onto consumers.

*Which is normal btw if it's your first time. Even if it's your 20th time. It doesn't change the fact though that it's tiring for other people to listen to, and after a long day of it, they'll be grumpy... and it's not because they're "racist" ffs

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; November 7th 2017 at 10:29 AM.

Closed Thread