TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

"What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 5th 2018, 10:42 AM

Hello,

Happy New Year.

Do yourself a favor. Click on the link below and watch the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPaQPWfqjmw

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE with everything he said.
And so should YOU.
In fact - I've been saying the same thing for years.

Watch the first 15 minutes. The last few minutes basically repeats what he already said. And do NOT find comfort in the part where he says it's the 'corporations fault for how you feel'. That was a silly way to word it for does NOT relieve YOU of any personal responsibilities. And don't assume that if you are part of 'Generation Z' [those who come after 'Millennials'] that none of this applies to you. IT DOES. You were RAISED by these people! And YOU have a golden opportunity to avoid making the same mistakes!

Watch! Listen! And learn!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig

Last edited by Melancholia.; January 6th 2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: This was moved to a more appropriate forum.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheEdenProject Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Not a n00b

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 5th 2018, 01:21 PM

i've seen the video by now and i agree so much with it. i've realized these things like a year ago and it makes me sad to be honest. that's exactly the reason why i try to stay away from social media as much as possible. because i know it's addicting and i know it's raising my dopamine levels as soon as someone likes my post or comments something positive on anything i posted and it's exactly the reason why i try to meet people and not interact with them on an internet platform (only);

although i do have to say that the most meaningful friendships i have, i've made over the internet and not just by going "hi, how are you" but by actually forming a friendship and a trust level and i even just came back from visiting a friend of mine who lives 7 hours away and who i got to know over the internet. i say the internet can be both evil and addicting but also connecting and nice.
nowadays though, it's mostly addicting.

thanks for sharing this video with us and i hope you have a happy new year!

"We drift away
Diffusing light
Confusing times
Growing up
Or cascading down?
Cascading down
I'm hurting now"

- EDEN // crash

feel free to PM or VM me if you need someone to talk to, i always have a listening ear and i never judge anyone.

HelpLINK Mentor since 01/20/18

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 6th 2018, 04:03 AM

I am sick to death of everyone bashing this generation like it's the new, cool, or only thing to do and every single one of us is the root of all evil and even if it's not our own fault, we'd better learn quick what no one is willing to teach us unless we want to be eaten alive. No generation is perfect.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 6th 2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I am sick to death of everyone bashing this generation like it's the new, cool, or only thing to do and every single one of us is the root of all evil and even if it's not our own fault, we'd better learn quick what no one is willing to teach us unless we want to be eaten alive. No generation is perfect.
Did you watch the video?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 6th 2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdenProject View Post
i've seen the video by now and i agree so much with it. i've realized these things like a year ago and it makes me sad to be honest. that's exactly the reason why i try to stay away from social media as much as possible. because i know it's addicting......
That was a great reply!! I appreciate you taking the time to post it. And like the guy in the video said... it's not ALL bad. Some good can [and often does] come from it. [Social media] But too much of a good thing can be counterproductive. Fact is.... too much WATER can kill you!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Komorebi_Sisu Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 6th 2018, 01:30 PM

-eye roll- Sorry but I'm pretty annoyed right now.
It is disempowering to keep having criticism without having a dialogue. Like I bet if I said anything it would turn into an argument instead of a conversation. It is hostile.
I'm not even going to bother watching it.*tries not to shout angry words on impulse*

like seriously, this forum is called Teen help. I'm sure there are other forums for older folks who love complaining about the younger generation "these days"
pfft

Also I have been primarily abused by older adults as a child, teenager and even now. Older people are stars at passive aggressive bullying and boy do I have loads of things to say.

Can't we have something more empowering for once???

Can't we have some personal responsibility on the part of the older folks?
I'm usually the kind of person to tell people that expressing yourself isn't complaining and it is okay to be frustrated but it isn't okay to bash others let alone entire generations.

Komorebi
This is the word the Japanese have for when sunlight filters through the trees - the interplay between the light and the leaves.

Sisu is extraordinary courage and determination in the face of adversity. Itís about not seeing a silver lining in the clouds, and yet jumping into the storm anyways.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TheEdenProject Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Not a n00b

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 6th 2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komorebi_Sisu View Post
-eye roll- Sorry but I'm pretty annoyed right now.
It is disempowering to keep having criticism without having a dialogue. Like I bet if I said anything it would turn into an argument instead of a conversation. It is hostile.
I'm not even going to bother watching it.*tries not to shout angry words on impulse*

like seriously, this forum is called Teen help. I'm sure there are other forums for older folks who love complaining about the younger generation "these days"
pfft

Also I have been primarily abused by older adults as a child, teenager and even now. Older people are stars at passive aggressive bullying and boy do I have loads of things to say.

Can't we have something more empowering for once???
the video isn't criticising anyone actually. i thought that too when i clicked on it. it might be a little too generalizing, yeah i give it that, but honestly, it just says how we're brought up and what went wrong with our generation. that we're growing up with social media making our dopamine levels go up with every like or comment we get, just as cigarettes or alcohol would and that it can be addicting.

and with "what went wrong with our generation" i don't mean it to be offending or anything, i just meant there have been a few problems made by us, but also older generations. like parents who have tried the wrong parenting techniques or abused their children.

the video is just stating a few observations that he made. if you agree with him or not is another thing but i think it's worth watching. ^^

"We drift away
Diffusing light
Confusing times
Growing up
Or cascading down?
Cascading down
I'm hurting now"

- EDEN // crash

feel free to PM or VM me if you need someone to talk to, i always have a listening ear and i never judge anyone.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Celestial. Offline
shut down the chaos

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: J.

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 6th 2018, 02:42 PM

This video (which I didn't watch because I'm hearing impaired) might be an eye-opener to some. But there are going to be young adults out there who take offense to it. For what reasons is their own right, they have the right to be offended. This is another thing Suz is probably talking about, that you take rights away from us. People your age take away our rights to do certain things that are basic human privileges.

As for me, Millennials aren't the only generation that has something wrong with them. So does the Baby Boomers, Gen X, Gen Z, and all the other generations. I never complain about the annoying aspects (particularly of Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Millennials) because I take a step back from my whining and criticism, say "hey, it's not as if you don't have any of these annoying qualities yourself" in my head.

I don't identify as any generation, I think that's just plain ridiculous. My parents were Baby Boomers, just a couple years older than you, and I definitely see qualities in them that annoy the hell out of me. But there might be one or two things I can relate to. I grew up in a neighborhood predominated by older teens, and being about five to ten years younger than most of them, I managed to inherit some of Gen X quirks. Just because I was born in 1984, does not automatically mean I'm a Millennial, and a Millennial only.

Hey, hell... I've been emitting my 'annoying' Gen X qualities on Rob in recent weeks, and he doesn't mind. The reason is because I am approaching him like an equal, even though he is just few years younger than me. I say "hey, Rob, I've got a few ideas. Tell me what you think!"

That's how you get a civil conversation going, when people will take criticism kindly.

Last edited by Celestial.; January 7th 2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Editing out portion that quotes a removed post. :) JNM: Edited out the deleted quoted text and first line.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Latibule Offline
Just a girl

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 6th 2018, 04:29 PM

I did NOT watch the video and I'm not going to. I will just say this. It pisses me off that everyone is bashing Millennial. I could find faults in all the generations before me. But you don't see me bashing them. I don't care if the video said some of the things aren't bad. The fact is people are making us out to be spoiled little bitches most of the time. In my opinion the people who are 13 and younger are the ones that are really bad. I just think people need to suck it up and stop complaining.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself"
|Member 2007|Community Mentor|
|PM/VM|

Send a message via AIM to Latibule Send a message via Yahoo to Latibule Send a message via Skype™ to Latibule 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
TheEdenProject Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Not a n00b

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 6th 2018, 05:01 PM

i just want to say that i also agree with all the other people saying that they're tired of millennials getting bashed and blamed for everything that went wrong as if other generations didn't have anything to be blamed for. definitely every generation has something wrong with them and it's not only millennials that could be blamed for some things.

older generations definitely aren't perfect either and honestly i respect everyone's opinion on this. the video just said what went "wrong" (in a sense that it's mostly not millennials to blame for, as far as i understood) with millennials but also took wrong parenting techniques and false education techniques (like apprenticeships in a company that is only focused on money and not respecting their people) into aspect, that's the only thing i'm going to say about the video, just for those that didn't want to watch it.

i just wanted to say that i agree with the video but maybe in a different sense as craig does (as in i don't think anyone HAS to watch the video and agree to it, i am just recommending it because i think the guy in the video does have a few points). i agree with everyone else here too and looking back i definitely agree with it being a bit too generalizing. i agree with the video in a sense that too much of everything can be bad for you and that social media definitely IS something that can be addicting because it raises our dopamine levels just as alcohol does and that some people use social media as an escape from reality, just as other addicts do.

it also discussed the study that people who use facebook on a regular basis are more likely to be depressed actually because of how our dopamine levels play a role in this.

anyways, i just wanted to throw my two cents into this since it seems quite a few people are angered by this.

"We drift away
Diffusing light
Confusing times
Growing up
Or cascading down?
Cascading down
I'm hurting now"

- EDEN // crash

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
Kings of the north.

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 7th 2018, 07:16 AM

I didn't watch the video, but I read this transcript which I think (questionable grammar aside) is more or less right. While the speaker made some good points, I definitely don't consider this speech empowering, and I disagree with a lot of what was said.

For example, the idea that participation medals devalue "the reward for those who actually work hard". This seems to imply that there's a direct correlation between hard work and results, which isn't always the case. The kids who do the best at school or in sports or whatever other endeavour aren't always the ones who work the hardest or try their best. Often they're just the ones with innate natural talent. I know people who coasted through school with very minimal effort and got fantastic grades, as well as people who put in far more effort and a lot more time because they weren't as naturally gifted, and if the latter were given more encouragement or participation medals or any kind of recognition for the work they were doing they probably would have been more motivated to continue it. I think it's far more important to encourage kids to work hard and try their best than to only ever reward those who are naturally good at things. I know when I was younger I would much rather have received recognition for the times when I was trying hard and maybe not achieving as much than times where I was doing well just because something came easily to me.

And this attitude, which I've noticed a lot from the generations above us, contributes directly to the next issue the speaker discusses: that this generation grows up thinking they're special only to find out that they're average and unprepared for "the real world". Could that have anything to do with, say, the fact that teachers and parents and everyone else praised kids who did well more than kids who tried hard? That they rewarded achievements rather than effort? If you reinforce this kind of attitude when people are younger, of course they're going to grow up feeling like they're "special" and end up not knowing how to work towards goals or how to better themselves - because the generations above them always rewarded them for their existing talents and natural abilities rather than the effort they put into their endeavours. If you wanted to raise a generation of kids who grow up to be self-aware, goal-oriented, and determined, then maybe you should have encouraged those traits when they were still kids.

As for the technology issue, kids should not have unlimited access to the internet. That's a given. Technology itself isn't bad, and it's the responsibility of parents/guardians to make sure their kids are using it wisely and safely. I got my first "cellphone" when I was about ten, which I mostly used to play Snake and to keep in touch with my parents, who had recently separated. When my friends started getting phones we would add each other's numbers and send text messages, but we definitely didn't have unlimited freedom. We had a limit to how many calls or texts we could make, our parents still paid the bills, and my parents at least could take my phone from me if they felt I was using it too much. The same kind of thing happened when we first got internet access. I was only allowed to have a certain amount of "screen time" per day, and if asked I would have to tell my parents what I had been using that time to do. By the time I was old enough to have unrestricted access to the internet, I was also old enough to have developed the social skills to use it safely, to make real and meaningful connections with people online, and still manage to have good relationships with people in real life. In fact the internet helped my social life "offline" because online I found people I could talk to freely, and in talking to them I developed more confidence in my ability to converse with people face-to-face. The assertion that "when significant stress begins to show up in their lives, they’re not turning to a person, they’re turning to a device" really rubs me the wrong way, because I for one never found comfort in my phone or my laptop - I found relief and companionship with the people I had met while using these devices. I was turning to a person, often when the people in my real life (my parents included) weren't listening to me or didn't understand. Without the internet, I would have felt far more alone. So a lot of the blame that's directed at technology should actually fall on the parents/guardians who didn't teach their kids the proper way to use these devices in the first place.

There's actually more I want to cover, but I'll leave this for now since it's turning into a bit of a novel. I also want to quickly add that the speaker saying "Buy an alarm clock. They cost eight dollars." also demonstrates how disconnected they are, because for some people eight dollars is actually a lot of money. That might be all they have to live on for the week, and they might not be able to afford food if they spend that eight dollars on an alarm clock. Assuming that everybody has money just lying around to buy something that they don't absolutely need (especially if they have a phone that could perform the same function) seems a little inconsiderate, in my opinion.

it's a whisper turned a battle cry
we're still here 'cause we refuse to die

6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 7th 2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Could that have anything to do with, say, the fact that teachers and parents and everyone else praised kids who did well more than kids who tried hard? That they rewarded achievements rather than effort?
This is an important point, up until high school I struggled immensely with school and hardly any of the teachers acknowledged that I was putting effort in to try and pass my classes an get by. I faced a ton of really crappy comments and being told I don't try enough or I do not pay enough attention...essentially I was being blamed for struggling when I was trying. The thing is that when I was in elementary school my parents had to fight to get me help because the teacher I had, at the time, wouldn't help make the process easier. He told my parents that I just 'didn't pay attention' and I wouldn't be struggling if I started too. This same teacher spent all his time with the students (one of them a friend) who were really smart and were excelling and who did have a natural ability to do well in school because it was 'easy' for them. In high school, things got better and a lot of the subjects came naturally but I did still have to work a bit harder than some of my friend's. The thing that is hard is that these people who were natural learners grow up and don't realize that the promotion isn't going to happen 'naturally' etc. I have family that does hiring within large corporations and even they point out that promotions depend on hardwork and results. If someone is getting results but you can tell they aren't working hard ... it's unlikely they will excel. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule.

This person also talks about social media and depression and low self esteem. In my opinion, I don't think the younger generation has lower self esteem than the older generation, I just think the younger generation is more open to talking about it. I have family that were born around 1945 and they have relatively low self esteem but they hide it because back when they were growing up you couldn't show 'weakness'. I have also looked into the studies pertaining to social media and depression and there is a correlation but the studies I have seen don't show any real causation and causation is what is important. So, there very well might be a correlation between social media usage and increased depression but there might not be causation. What I have seen doesn't show a causation but from studying I have learned that it's hard to prove causation which is one of the reasons why these types of studies have to be done repeatedly and over a longer course of time etc.

I watched this video a while ago and it frustrated me because it was brushing over a ton of stuff. I think there are some valid points that are being brought up but I didn't find it the least bit empowering. I found it to be kind of demeaning in a lot of ways.

(My post is probably a bit scrambled but I tend to avoid conversations like this because...I don't tend to express myself that great)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
So sleepy.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 7th 2018, 09:37 PM

The first thing that this says is that we have an entire generation of people who were raised by parents who failed them, pretty much. But those parents had to get their parenting skills from somewhere. And I'd say that not all parents are like that. Mine celebrated the effort I put into it and we'd still go out to dinner after or something, but they'd also give me something to cry about if I sat there wining that I should have gotten a trophy just for trying or that I deserved to be the winner. And I know plenty of other parents who are just like that.

I also don't know many parents who nag the teachers into letting their kid be in honors classes, and then the teacher just rolls over backwards and gives them an A. It doesn't happen. If the teacher offers anyone extra credit, the ones who take it are the students who are putting in boatloads of effort already anyway, and the students who don't care, don't care, and they'll be failing. I've known students who have failed the easiest classes, and their mommies never were at the school whining about it.

Sure, I get that social media is addictive. My first phone was a flip phone that didn't even get the internet and I mainly got it when I did because I would start staying after school for clubs and activities or for extra help and my mom would need a way to get in contact with me if it was canceled. My first computer was also the family computer and it was in the kitchen where anyone could easily walk by me and see what I was doing. But that wasn't all I did. I'd play games with other people and read books. As what was said, kids shouldn't have unlimited access to the Internet without supervision from their guardian. But nowadays, most things are done online. Job applications, mostly online. I've had classes where they've specified we have to use X amount of website resources in our essays.

People have the power to turn off their phones in social settings, and a lot do. One thing that the guy said is that a lot of people, in a meeting, text on their phones before it starts. Valid. But he also said that we wouldn't say, "Hey, I heard your dad is in the hospital, how is he doing?" Do you really think that we don't care enough about someone that we wouldn't show a bit of human decency and ask?

They say that media makes people more depressed, and that people have this mask up online on their Facebook or Instagram, so that nobody ever knows and then they commit suicide. That's just a copout. If you really knew the signs of depression and suicide you'll realize that that is just SUCH a copout. And even before the days of social media, people wore masks and didn't let on that they were depressed. As Jenna said, even in the older generations you were considered "weak" and a "wuss" if you showed those type of emotions and asked for help. Today there's been some improvement in that front but there is still a lot of stigma. I asked for help and was told I was attention seeking or that my friends were giving me ideas.

"We have no age restrictions on social media." Even if we did, though, would they be easy to enforce? It's easy for someone to say they're eighteen when they're not, and it's not like they can ask me for my ID to prove it. You can get around age restrictions just like there are ways to get around age restrictions for substances.

I was also always taught "no phones at the dinner table" so I do have the ability to power off my phone, sit down, and have a conversation with you at the dinner table. I'm not the only one.

They say binge watching a show is instant gratification because your generation used to have to wait. TV shows still air and sometimes they don't even air on Netflix or Hulu. But even so, Netflix and Hulu are a LOT cheaper than a cable package that a lot of people can't afford and it's a way to unwind at the end of a long day. That's what my parents do, with regular TV. They'll get home from work and watch.

On Tinder. "Swipe right, and bang, I'm a stud." Not really man. Doesn't mean anyone's gonna swipe left on you or that you're going to have a match.

They say kids quit their jobs left and right because there's no immediate "impact." I don't see that as often where I live because where I live, you NEED the job, as crappy as the job may feel, or else you're going to be homeless with no food. A lot of people recognize that you can make a small impact in anything you do anyway, and as you move up or gain more responsibility, that impact grows. A lot of the potential jobs I may get into are nonprofit companies in the human services sector, so of course those there's even more of an impact. But while you're waiting for the perfect job to open up, most people aren't going to just up and quit their current one because they need the money.

More people may be dropping out due to depression, but remember that in the days of my parents, going to school or even getting amazing grades wasn't really emphasized as the top choice. There were also more factory jobs that hadn't gone overseas. Nowadays it's like you need a million years experience just to work at an entry-level retail job.

The point they make about not taking their phones if they're going somewhere with friends, except maybe one phone. Great. Again, you're just making it seem like nobody ever turns off their phones. If there's an emergency, at least I know if two of us have phones, there's a better likelihood of one of them working and not being dead in an emergency. Before my dad got his cell phone, he'd break down on the highway often and have to walk to the nearest gas station, sometimes in the snow. Not really safe. And now that he HAS a phone, I feel like he's on it more than I am.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia. Send a message via Skype™ to Melancholia. 
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: "What's Wrong With Millennials?" - January 7th 2018, 10:22 PM

I agreed with far more of that than I thought I would. He spends the first five minutes bashing millennials parents' about what they've done and acknowledges that our common problems aren't necessarily our fault. I agree with some of that and disagree with some as well. He also spends time bashing social media and technology; I also agree that there is far too much of that in our lives. But bashing parents and technology doesnt really touch the whole picture. He doesn't touch education or the lack of quality of our education, he doesn't go into meaningful depth regarding the quality of available jobs, he doesn't mention cost of living, and he doesn't mention poverty at all. In America, the baby boomers had basically every economic advantage available to them while we get ripped off in every way imaginable. Believing they got where they got through hard work, the baby boomers took over the government and removed the advantages for us that helped their generation prosper.
This guy says we believe we can have everything we want due to being in a microwave society, but you need money to get those things, and we don't have that. We're used to disappointment, so I don't believe our impatience is necessarily earth-shattering. In my experience, millennials from all walks of life (except for the wealthy) don't go into the world with high expectations, we go into the world with a sense of dread. We already saw the economy collapse. We know we will have mountains and mountains of college debt, if we were lucky enough to go to college. And if we didn't go to college? Then we'll almost certainly be living off of a non-livable wage.
I guess the only real problem I have with this is the degree of over-exaggeration and over-generalization that he makes. In my experience, its not that we have sky-high impatience, low self-esteem, and a total lack of social skills, but its that we are extremely cynical and have a high sense of pessimism because of what our future looks like. We lived through the great recession and learned that there are always powerful people out there who are intentionally screwing us for their own gain. And if we work our asses off to overcome that? It still isn't enough. I got a ton of financial aid going through college- enough to make my last two years almost free- and I will STILL go into adulthood being worth -$50,000.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread