TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
painkiller Offline
like a crown
Regular TeenHelper

Government's steps to raise awareness - January 18th 2018, 09:46 PM

Dear TeenHelpers,
recently I've noticed a huge poster in the underground. It was very minimalistic but clear and showed a few steps one could take if someone close to them suffered from depression. It was a second time I've seen some posters/arts around the city connected to battling depression. It lifted me up because it appears mental health is becoming increasingly more noticed and important in the society.
What do you think? Have you seen any similar signs around your place?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fernweh. Offline
shut down the chaos

Regular TeenHelper

Name: J.

Re: Government's steps to raise awareness - January 19th 2018, 01:48 AM

I'm not really sure what you mean, sorry! When I see "in the underground" referenced, I imagine something illegal/illicit/etc. I don't see how raising awareness on mental health issue is illicit or illegal. Perhaps some clarification and/or sources would be useful!

But more relevant to the topic, I do think it's a wonderful ideas that there are communities out there helping to raise awareness of depression and mental health issues. I think that's very important considering the recent tragedies we've had with people not reaching out for various reasons and committing suicide instead. Hopefully, more people will take the initiative to ask for help instead of doing something harmful and irreversable.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ayurnamat. Offline
✞Faith can move mountains✞

Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi

Re: Government's steps to raise awareness - January 19th 2018, 08:50 AM

Thť underground is a rapid transit system not something illegal.

We don’t have an underground where I live but we have something similar. I’ve seen posters about suicide prevention, domestic violence and addictions like alcohol or drugs and how to get help (numbers, signs, what to do, ect). I think it’s important to have posters placed around because those posters have the ability to help people if they’re ready.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
painkiller Offline
like a crown
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Government's steps to raise awareness - January 19th 2018, 03:36 PM

Yep by the underground I meant metro/subway, if it tells you more.
Good to hear similar steps are taken in different parts of the world as well!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Government's steps to raise awareness - January 19th 2018, 07:20 PM

I don't believe I've seen any posters or advertisements around my area. That said, if you are in the UK, the BBC is doing a series of mental health documentaries this week. I'm interested to see how they will portray mental health and am really glad that they are raising awareness too!

HelpLINK Mentor ~HelpLINK Moderator~Forum Moderator ~Live Help access
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Government's steps to raise awareness - January 19th 2018, 08:52 PM

I think that bringing awareness to mental illness is an amazing step to take. I feel that the awareness is a good first step to doing away with the stigma surrounding mental illness.

Personally, I don't see a lot of awareness being brought up within my community. I know I live an a very weird area though and they tend to ignore problems like mental illness. I do know my county has a decent amount of services for some people who have mental illness. The services seem to have gotten slightly better since I was younger. They need to do a lot more but it seems like a great first step as well.

Do you love books or are you having trouble finding books to read? Come check out my blog where I will discuss all things books:
https://abibliophobe1989.wordpress.com/blog/
If you like what you see please follow!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Desolation 💔 Inconsolable

I can't get enough

Re: Government's steps to raise awareness - January 20th 2018, 02:48 AM

The Government pushes this a lot. We get messages that say, "A message from the Ontario Government" and it could be about teen drugs learning the facts, domestic violence, drinking and driving, mental health, smoking, etc., and it is nice that the Ontario Government sponsors it and puts those messages out.

I see a lot of posters on the bus. I also see posters for local support like, unwanted pregnancies, drugs, to stop smoking (cigarettes), sexually transmitted infections, drug use, varies facts about rare diseases (educational about mental health or physical deformaties) then crisis lines, and then messages from the city can also be put on buses (inside the bus and on the outside of the bus; in bus shelter)

I really do feel those messages do come across for others. Sometimes you see it once and don't think about it, when you see it more and more, you realize that, that poster might be something you need for yourself or for someone you know. I've learned about things from the posters about diseases people have or physical deformaties.

Senior Article Editor - Mind and Body | Join the Artcles Team
Newsletter Editor
Forum Mod - Substance Use, Lifestyle, Current Events and Debates

(#8 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Government's steps to raise awareness - January 21st 2018, 12:42 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not the government's doing here where I'm at because the ones raising awareness for mental illness, domestic violence, suicide, etc are the orgs working in the community to help/fix these issues. For example, on the subway system here, we have posters telling people that if they're feeling suicidal to call the number posted and that's put by the subway system and not the government. Also, today on the bus I saw 2 advertisements 1. talking about if you need help for HIV counsellings and treatment, and 2. a domestic violence agency.
I would love if the government did something more to address these issues and actually be of help but because our healthcare system can be so messed up idk if that will happen.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Government's steps to raise awareness - February 4th 2018, 08:50 AM

The only thing I saw was temporary signs around my college and nothing really around my area. The only things I actually see things such as like that is on the internet, but you look up stuff like that.

Jonghyun (1990-2017)
Your smile and laugh was the brightest, yet hid a lot of pain behind it. I miss you and will be missed by a lot of people who loved you.

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
Closed Thread