TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fandomqueen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Angry Fear and Violence - March 17th 2019, 06:12 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I attend University of Michigan, where there was a threat of a mass shooting yesterday. It occurred during a vigil for the New Zealand shooting, scattering everyone there. I was not on campus, but my phone was exploding with people who were scared, making sure friends were ok, and a lot of uncertainty as to whether the unspeakable would happen. I had many friends who were in the area of danger and had to barricade themselves in rooms with strangers, crying, not knowing whether they would ever see their loved ones again.

Luckily, the threat was a false alarm and had been caused by balloons popping. Sounds ridiculous, right? Well no one doubted it, because we live in an idiotic society where guns are SO much of a threat and shootings occur regularly, that no one seemed surprised that it had happened on our campus. This is not ok.

We should feel SAFE in our school. The sound of a balloon popping should not have caused this much chaos, but because this is such a common event, it is the first possibility that comes to mind. Please tell me why we don't need gun control. Please tell me why it is normal for 18-22 year olds to be scared for their lives. Please tell me why you think your right to carry arms is more important than the safety of children, young adults, parents, innocent citizens, or anyone else.

No one is saying guns should be outlawed. We just want there to be enough regulation for us to feel safe in our own home.

Last edited by Special Agent; March 17th 2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added Triggering prefix because of the topic...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Fear and Violence - March 18th 2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandomqueen View Post
I attend University of Michigan, where there was a threat of a mass shooting yesterday. It occurred during a vigil for the New Zealand shooting, scattering everyone there. I was not on campus, but my phone was exploding with people who were scared, making sure friends were ok, and a lot of uncertainty as to whether the unspeakable would happen. I had many friends who were in the area of danger and had to barricade themselves in rooms with strangers, crying, not knowing whether they would ever see their loved ones again.

Luckily, the threat was a false alarm and had been caused by balloons popping. Sounds ridiculous, right? Well no one doubted it, because we live in an idiotic society where guns are SO much of a threat and shootings occur regularly, that no one seemed surprised that it had happened on our campus. This is not ok.

We should feel SAFE in our school. The sound of a balloon popping should not have caused this much chaos, but because this is such a common event, it is the first possibility that comes to mind. Please tell me why we don't need gun control. Please tell me why it is normal for 18-22 year olds to be scared for their lives. Please tell me why you think your right to carry arms is more important than the safety of children, young adults, parents, innocent citizens, or anyone else.

No one is saying guns should be outlawed. We just want there to be enough regulation for us to feel safe in our own home.
I completely agree with you that it is ridiculous that we live in a society where guns play a huge part of our lives when all it does is create so much harm and destruction. You should definitely feel safe at school, to go to, to study and hang out with friends.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Fear and Violence - March 18th 2019, 08:04 PM

I've never understood gun laws and I honestly cannot imagine how terrifying it must be when it comes to threats let alone the real thing. It's awful that going to school, or any place really, can become something that you fear when it comes to shootings. My heart sank when I watched a documentary piece a while ago about how schools would have 'practice' on what to do when there is a potential shooting. It's not something that you should have to live in fear of or prepare for. You should be able to live and go to school without this worry.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Saudade. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Fear and Violence - March 19th 2019, 06:24 PM

I was in the doctor's office the same day of the shooting (~ 10 hours later) and there was this guy walking around with his hands in his pockets. I had literally just heard about the shooting from my best friend, so that was weighing heavily on my mind while I carefully observed that guy.

I actually went up to one of the receptionists on my way into my appointment after I had been called, but I stumbled upon my words. I knew the significance of it, but yeah... I was freaked!

It's infuriating how we have to live in a world where we have to be afraid not only of popping balloons, but when someone is walking around the doctor's office, pacing back and forth with their hands in their pockets.

[P.S. he was just an impatient butthead]

Closed Thread