TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#241 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: Corona Virus. - July 28th 2020, 03:44 PM

My state is at over 115,000 confirmed positive cases. Still somewhat limited testing (must show symptoms to get test but there probably is a test available now). New record for hospitalizations, but every other day this number is now recordbreaking.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1373440 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#242 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - July 31st 2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigereyes View Post
My state is at over 115,000 confirmed positive cases. Still somewhat limited testing (must show symptoms to get test but there probably is a test available now). New record for hospitalizations, but every other day this number is now recordbreaking.
Over 120,000 cases now

(#243 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Corona Virus. - August 1st 2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
It is not unreasonable. The countries that have this under control are the ones that shut down. America could do that too but certain politicians care more about money than they do about human life.
Every other developed country in the world has been able to get through this pandemic just fine in comparison to America. Problem is, our government absolutely doesn't care about its citizens. In places like Great Britain and Denmark for example, the governments basically nationalized wages up to about 75-80% if the businesses furloughed the workers instead of firing them. Their unemployment rates didn't skyrocket like the US and those countries aren't going through a depression. People are desperate and depressed. There are some states where over 50% of renters wont be able to pay their rent after the moratorium lifts. 40 million people could be evicted during a pandemic. I can't blame people for wanting to get outside and do stuff, honestly- everything sucks and the country is on fire.

Japan actually had very limited shutdowns but pretty much everyone there has been wearing a mask. They've had about a thousand deaths in a country thats more densely populated than the US. You'd think the US would learn from other countries that have this under control and just do the BARE minimum to fix this, like a mask mandate or universal free masks. Its not hard, but our government doesn't function.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#244 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,134, Level: 42 Points: 88,134, Level: 42 Points: 88,134, Level: 42

Re: Corona Virus. - August 2nd 2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
It is more like people are tired of a prolonged shutdown. We shut down here in Florida 3 months before the virus even really came to our state. We are understandably burnt out. I am not expert, but I am just speculating that our state could have been open that entire time.... now that the virus is hitting our state we HAVE to open. Im sorry but thats just the way it is. Florida has a big hospitality and tourism industry and millions would lose their livelihoods,jobs, and businesses if we were to shutdown again. Thats just the facts. New York got hit first because it sees a lot of international traffic. It is unreasonable to expect states that did not see their first surge back in the spring to shutdown for twice the length of time. I'm so sick of a certain political party acting like it is so selfish for me to want to work and deciding for me what is an essential activity and what isn't.

As for me: I am back to living my life as normal. I go to bars every night (only bars that don't have food are required to close) and am honestly done with this social distancing bullshit. Im not doing it anymore.
I understand that people are fed up with the restrictions that have been put in place and how much it would have an impact on the economy. I've tried to invest my money in local businesses as much as I can but at the end of the day, this is going to continue and everyday life is going to be prolonged if people aren't listening to medical advice during this time. The economy is going to take even longer to recover if we don't try and push through this. Countries like NZ haven't been impacted as much as other countries like the US has because they went straight into lockdown as soon as the virus became apparent. This situation has certainly impacted my mental health and I've been lucky enough to still be able to work full-time throughout the whole lockdown so I can't imagine what it's like for other communities and countries that have been impacted even more to not even be let out of the house, let alone go to work.

(#245 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Corona Virus. - August 3rd 2020, 08:34 PM

Nobody is using any foresight as to how reopenings will just cause a vicious cycle of closings. One of the reasons why reopening schools is such a bad idea is because the numbers will skyrocket and then they'll have to be closed again anyway. Same for businesses.
  (#246 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - August 5th 2020, 02:55 PM

Almost 130,000 confirmed cases in my state. We've drastically reduced testing. We may full reopen this week.

Last edited by Tigereyes; August 6th 2020 at 09:51 AM.
  (#247 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - August 5th 2020, 06:03 PM

Neighboring state was just removed from the safe-to-travel list my state has enforced beginning August 1st due to rising cases of COVID-19 in that other state. I'm surprised my state is on the safe to travel list for other states.
  (#248 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - August 6th 2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Almost 130,000 confirmed cases in my state. We've drastically reduced testing. We may full reopen this week.
We keep extending Phase 2. Cases keep going up. "Slower" because of reduced testing, but still 1500-2000 new confirmed positive tests per day, every day. Positive rate went down for a few days, but it's back up.

(#249 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - August 9th 2020, 03:39 AM

I live in an area that Dr. Birx stated is a Hotspot. My govorner is refusing to do the right thing and people are gathering left and right. We are gonna be stuck doing this till sometime next year.
  (#250 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - August 9th 2020, 07:43 AM

Really disappointed in California, a show I'd been anticipating just got postponed for the second time due to COVID. It's not just the governors, it's the administration in Washington DC that is not taking the pandemic seriously.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#251 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - August 9th 2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
We keep extending Phase 2. Cases keep going up. "Slower" because of reduced testing, but still 1500-2000 new confirmed positive tests per day, every day. Positive rate went down for a few days, but it's back up.
Only 1450 new confirmed cases in my state in the past 24hr! Whoooo we're doing so amazing... ~136,000 total that we recorded.

(#252 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - August 9th 2020, 05:11 PM

I don't even keep track anymore; but I should do checks for the next few weeks through IPD (Columbus Day) in October. I am wondering if we'll see a significant drop in cases going into the second/third week of September?

It seems like an acquaintance shared an article from a UK newsource that they are going to be shutting down again.
  (#253 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - August 9th 2020, 09:51 PM

I miss my Dad. I haven't seen him since Christmas. And I miss hugging my mom. I have a bad feeling all of this is going to extend into next year because people can't get their shit together. I really don't see why people are so against masks, or social distancing. It's almost like they do what they do as a way to flaunt their disdain for authority.
  (#254 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - August 10th 2020, 08:45 AM

My area has 17,290 cases. We added 259 and there is likely more. Department of public health is only releasing numbers Tuesday and Friday. My state also recently admitted that numbers were being unreported and my govorner still chose to go on air and say cases were going down. He's just as corrupt as the rest of the politicians.

These states should be shutting down and they won't. A 7 year old boy died with no underlying conditions and they're still forcing kids to go to school.

This is all a mess and I have a feeling the beginning of next year is gonna be like this because Americans can't get their stuff together.
  (#255 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - August 12th 2020, 09:32 AM

We cut WAY back on testing (about 1/3 the number of tests previously), so our cases are going up much slower

(#256 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - August 13th 2020, 10:49 AM

Record-breaking deaths most days in my state. Lowest testing since like March/April. College students have gone back to campuses to have huge parties, and the majority of dorms are filled. Workers are filing lawsuits for unsafe work conditions--at the university where I had to quit my job to not die. Positive cases are hidden, workers are not notified unless directly exposed "enough" to warrent manditory quarantine. Lack of PPE, lack of information or protection, lack of communication. No promised accommodations for high risk employees. This was supposed to be me too, as a high risk person. Workers all going back to work. Restaurant workers are filing and protesting/walking out too. Shootings everywhere. Every day. Protests, riots. Just another day.

(#257 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - August 15th 2020, 06:33 AM

I'm surprised with the amount of figures that are still happening in other countries.

(#258 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - August 15th 2020, 10:46 AM

The university campus where I refused to return to work due to being at high risk now has several different clusers that we know of. They admit they don't even communicate positive cases unless there are clusers or students and staff collaborate to leak it to the news.

Also nearly 145,000 confirmed positive cases in my state. We are still drastically reducing testing though. It's April all over again with limited test availability as all the public universities and private k-12 schools are JUST bringing all students and faculty back.

(#259 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - August 16th 2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Also nearly 145,000 confirmed positive cases in my state. We are still drastically reducing testing though. It's April all over again with limited test availability as all the public universities and private k-12 schools are JUST bringing all students and faculty back.
The numbers are horrifying and it makes me mad that testing is being limited on a significant scale.

(#260 (permalink)) Old
Flexderec Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,683, Level: 6 Points: 1,683, Level: 6 Points: 1,683, Level: 6

Re: Corona Virus. - August 17th 2020, 02:25 AM

Same for businesses.
  (#261 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - August 17th 2020, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexderec View Post
Same for businesses.
There was actually a discussion on one of the new companies Facebook page as to whether the state I live in should still be doing fireworks to which I said no because they should be investing the money into the economy and local businesses.

(#262 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Corona Virus. - September 11th 2020, 05:04 PM

After 4 months of lockdown and everything pretty much opened back up again. The UK government encouraged people to go out and eat at restaurants in order to help try and save businesses. Pubs were opened up first (probably due to alcohol tax), yet gyms were one of the last places to reopen. Somehow a pub, where people get drunk and don't adhere to social distancing guidelines was ok, whereas a gym, where everyone is just in their own little space exercising to be fit and healthy, wasn't ok.

Some schools in wales already had to close shortly after opening again because staff members tested positive, and some children too.

Cases are now rising again. The lowest was under 400 a couple of months ago, now we're back up to 3.5k today. I feel stressed because I've just finally started going back to work and I fear it's going to be taken away from me again.

I feel like just wanting the government to throw their hands in the air and be like, 'whatever'. But I know I shouldn't. If I catch it, sure it's more ok, but I could spread it to my uncle who has asthma, and would likely kill him. I feel like I'm walking into a death trap every time I go to work. I wonder when I'll get it and bring it home, and there's nothing I can do about it.
  (#263 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - September 11th 2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
The university campus where I refused to return to work due to being at high risk now has several different clusers that we know of. They admit they don't even communicate positive cases unless there are clusers or students and staff collaborate to leak it to the news.

Over 180,000 confirmed positive cases in my state. Limited testing the whole time.

(#264 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - September 12th 2020, 02:50 AM

Like everyone else, I just want all of this to be over and done with.

(#265 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - September 15th 2020, 12:19 PM

A lot of us are done with the pandemic; but it'll only go away if people respect the rules and regulations for safe social distancing.
  (#266 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - September 22nd 2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Over 180,000 confirmed positive cases in my state. Limited testing the whole time.
Almost 200,000 confirmed cases in my state. We "leveled out" at 1200-1500 new confirmed cases per day, every day. No one cares. "The elderly and disabled can die." Everyone still acts like there is no pandemic. I have no hope for the future of this country.

(#267 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Corona Virus. - September 22nd 2020, 11:34 AM

The UK are seeing a second wave now. 4,000+ new cases each day and they're introducing social distancing measures again. No more than 6 people in any gatherine and all hospitality venues have to close at 10pm. There have been anti-lockdown protests in London too.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#268 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - September 22nd 2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
The UK are seeing a second wave now. 4,000+ new cases each day and they're introducing social distancing measures again. No more than 6 people in any gatherine and all hospitality venues have to close at 10pm. There have been anti-lockdown protests in London too.

You all are getting to the second wave and America is...well....still dealing with the first wave. I know my state has been doing better in regards to positivity. My county has been one of the worst and is doing better. We have business owners pushing to reopen their restaurants. I am anticipating a spike with the past holiday and fires. However, if things open again, I know my county won't play it smart. Too many people don't think it's real.

CDC just came out with guidelines about Halloween and I have a feeling a large number of people will disregard it. America is, likely, gonna get hit hard again. I hope I am wrong but ... I don't think I am which is unfortunate.
  (#269 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - September 24th 2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
I often wonder how the UK are doing due to having family over there.

(#270 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - September 26th 2020, 12:23 PM

I'm actually feeling a lot better about all of this. I feel comfortable with the precautions my family has taken, and my life feels like it is slowly getting back to "normal."

All my classes are still online, and I'm not going a ton of places, but I got my hair cut (with some precautions taken by the salon) and was able to go to a few appointments. I've also been going to our outdoor, socially distanced Mass at my church for a few weeks down, and I've been going to my church during the week to pray. (It is open during the week and is virtually empty, and they have people in there during the day cleaning it.) My church has been really good about following the health guidelines.

So... I'm feeling pretty good, honestly! I ultimately can't control what happens next, but so far we've all been healthy and it's been good to get back to some semblance of a routine. I was really anxious when all this started, but I feel like my perspective on it has shifted somewhat in the last few months and I'm glad to see that some order is being restored.

~Kylie
  (#271 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - September 28th 2020, 03:42 AM

The state in which I live has gone a second day of no new COVID-19 cases.

(#272 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - September 28th 2020, 09:00 PM

Florida has opened or is opening at 100% capacity. I know Fauci doesn't agree and I tend to listen to the ... uh... experts instead of the politicians who have made it abundantly clear they don't care about human lives.

My county is doing good and should be opening sometime soon but I also have a feeling that we will see a spike. At this point, I don't think any of the politicians will do what they need to and it is pretty much going to be a whole "Fend for yourselves." The people who are saying we should open are only going to care when/if they or someone they love gets COVID and dies.
  (#273 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - September 29th 2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
Florida has opened or is opening at 100% capacity. I know Fauci doesn't agree and I tend to listen to the ... uh... experts instead of the politicians who have made it abundantly clear they don't care about human lives.

My county is doing good and should be opening sometime soon but I also have a feeling that we will see a spike. At this point, I don't think any of the politicians will do what they need to and it is pretty much going to be a whole "Fend for yourselves." The people who are saying we should open are only going to care when/if they or someone they love gets COVID and dies.
I agree with you when you mentioned that the only people who are wanting to open only matter when they or a loved one contract COVID. There's also a lot of people saying it's just the flu or a 'hype'.

(#274 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Corona Virus. - October 1st 2020, 06:21 PM

I'm in a 'local lockdown' area, but really half of Wales are in separate local lockdowns. I do think that this will complicate things...it's already difficult enough to separate English and Welsh rules let alone by separate areas.

It's starting to get bad where I am. A few weeks ago, the university was getting ready to do blended learning....but the other day around 8 students tested positive so think everything will be online. They have only officially started back this week. Also, the hospital up the road from me is now closed apart from A&E because they had a bad outbreak that started within the hospital.

Kind of dreading coming up to Christmas if it's going to be like this. I heard somewhere that they want people to start doing their Christmas shopping now because they reckon everyone will rush and things will be out of stock and maybe difficult to get back in stock. I know that's not the main thing, but ugh, I hate it when people don't stick to the rules or panic buy. Just makes things more frustrating to deal with.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#275 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - October 2nd 2020, 04:17 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rus/index.html

Trump and Melania have it. Hopefully Biden is okay.
  (#276 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - October 2nd 2020, 09:53 AM

I saw that Trump and Melania have both been tested positive for the virus. I often wonder what's going to happen with Christmas as well.

(#277 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Corona Virus. - October 4th 2020, 03:24 AM

Trump is already at the hospital though, eve though he only has mild symptoms. He is getting top treatments from top doctors. These are things that a normal person would not get right away, if at all.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#278 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - October 4th 2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Trump is already at the hospital though, eve though he only has mild symptoms. He is getting top treatments from top doctors. These are things that a normal person would not get right away, if at all.

Yeah, that's true.

Well this is the ninth consecutive day that we have had no community transmission of COVID-19.

(#279 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - October 4th 2020, 02:49 PM

My state has fully reopened, with large gatherings just limited in attendence. We keep getting ~1500 new confirmed cases per day, tests are being lost and have always been limited. Close to 220,000 confirmed cases. Everyone acts like I've hallucinated this.

(#280 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - October 4th 2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
A line of people appeared to see him as his car drove past on his return from the hospital. This is so stupid, now all these people might get exposed to coronavirus, and that would spread so fast. It's ridiculous how careless people are being, and in the name of Trump.
Closed Thread