TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
adchessmore Offline
April
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,983, Level: 13 Points: 8,983, Level: 13 Points: 8,983, Level: 13

Lil' sister getting bullied - January 20th 2010, 04:47 AM

My name is april and i am 19 and a freshman in college. I have a little sister Alison who is 12 and a 7th grader. She is bigger than i was when i was her age. She gets teased all the time by the 8th grade boys, saying she is an elephant and she is a lesbian. Of course i am not there to say anything or protect her. She just lets them say it to her and act like it doesnt bother her. But then she will call me crying telling me what they said to her. When she tells me this i just want to go back home and knock some sense into those boys. But i know i cant because my sister tells me if i do go talk to them about it, it will just get worse. But it makes me so angry that people do this. I was never bullied and she is always being bullied. I am just so tired of hearing about it and not doing anything about it. She has told teachers before but they dont do anything about it and they say they will call the parents and stuff, but that hasnt done anything for her..it just keeps happening. She isnt the type who knows how to stick up for herself so i am always trying to give her ideas on how to get them to stop, but it doesnt work and i want to help without her getting picked on even more. If i had it my way i would be knocking those boys out, but i cant cuz its illegal and wrong. So how can i help her??
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Points: 9,376, Level: 14 Points: 9,376, Level: 14 Points: 9,376, Level: 14

Re: Lil' sister getting bullied - January 20th 2010, 09:18 PM

hmmmm, so telling the teachers doesn't work, so thats that option is erased.

Hmmm but you said before she can't stick up for herself, which means she has a lack of confidence. And thats probably why the "not let it bother her" act isn't working, she probably still looks sad even though shes trying not to.

Ok, two things so far which i see you can do.

1. Her confidence needs be lifted first, so try to get her inolved in something that puts her out of her comfort zone. Also no thanks to all that bullying she probably has a pretty poor body image. So do things that make her feel good like:
Put ribbons in her hair and say she cute. Oh, and if she goes onto the topic of her weight, say it makes her cute and cuddly. when dealing with bullies its important to make flaws special.

2. Now that you have raised her confidence she can stop those bullies, make sure she knows these 3 things:
Always Keep eye contact with a bully, (it brings down their confidence)
Always keep a smile on your face no matter what. (yet again brings down their confidence.)
When shes walking around tell her to keep her back straight and her chin high. (this stops bullies from even talking to you in the first place.)
When they make a joke about her weight, laugh like she finds it funny. (bullies will retreat. when they think there not hurting her.) If they ask why shes laugh, get her to say: because its funny. (ignorant answers can really screw bullies up.)

If she keeps that up the bullying will slowly stop. See if you can get her to practice it infront of you. (it should help with confidence)

If you have any questions, please, ask away.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
adchessmore Offline
April
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,983, Level: 13 Points: 8,983, Level: 13 Points: 8,983, Level: 13

Re: Lil' sister getting bullied - January 21st 2010, 02:38 PM

Thanks, my sister went to the guidance counselor and the principal. They seem to have taken care of it. I guess there was more going on besides being called fat, that i didnt know about and of course when i heard it, i started crying. The principal said that if it keeps going on they are going to be suspended. I just hope it works, but im sure those kids will still be saying stuff behind her back rather than to her face which isnt any better.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Points: 9,376, Level: 14 Points: 9,376, Level: 14 Points: 9,376, Level: 14

Re: Lil' sister getting bullied - January 21st 2010, 09:02 PM

Well thats good, its a start. So theres hope (not that there wasn't any in the first place.) Keep us posted though if things start to go bad. We're always happy to help.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Unicorn. Offline
Cookie monster
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Points: 15,428, Level: 18 Points: 15,428, Level: 18 Points: 15,428, Level: 18

Re: Lil' sister getting bullied - January 23rd 2010, 02:54 PM

Hey there!
I'mn really proud of you for helping your sister out like this. It's great she's got you to support her and someone she can talk to I'm really glaf to hear that things went well! I hope this can encourage other people to speak out against bullying

I'm going to close this now, as everything seems to be solved. PM me if you want it re-opening, and remember where we are if you need anything!

~Jess x
17|10|09

Whenever your world starts crashing down
That's where you'll find me
Closed Thread