TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - June 30th 2009, 04:41 PM

Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

Meet the "wonder weapon" that could have won the war for Hitler.
Called the Horten 229, the radical "flying wing" fighter-bomber looked and acted a lot like the U.S. Air Force's current B-2 — right down to the "stealth" radar-evading characteristics.
Fortunately for the world, the Ho 229 wasn't put into mass production before Nazi Germany surrendered in May 1945.
But American researchers boxed up and shipped home the prototypes and partially-built planes that existed — and now the same company that builds the B-2 has rebuilt one.
Northrop Grumman Corp. spent its own time and money using the original German blueprints to replicate the wood-and-steel-tube bomber, right down to its unique metallic glue and paint, at its facility in El Segundo, Calif.
Using radar of the same type and frequency used by British coastal defenses in World War II, the engineers found that an Ho 229, flying a few dozen feet above the English Channel, would indeed have been "invisible" to the Royal Air Force — an advantage that arrived too late for the Nazis to exploit.

"This was the most advanced technology that the Germans had at the end of the war, and Northrop solved the question of how stealthy it was and its performance against Allied radar at the time," documentary filmmaker Mike Jorgenson told the Long Beach, Calif., Press-Telegram. "It's significantly better than anything flying operationally probably until the 1960s."
The National Geographic Channel will next air Joumentary, "Hitler's Stealth Fighter," on Sunday, July 5.

Last edited by Blackwing; June 30th 2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added pic..
  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - June 30th 2009, 08:57 PM

Interesting but I don't see the point of it. Hitler and the Holocaust are over, so we might as well speculate what happened if he made a bunny-shooting machine. It is interesting to note but I don't see any other purpose for it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - June 30th 2009, 09:27 PM

Hitler would of lost anyways.

If he fought any longer, the world would of witness the A-bomb sooner.

the Stealth bomber would barely work on Russia, because of the attrition and Nazi's lack of experience, technologies that work in cold conditions.

Also in the end the American forces had a strong economy and a very big fighting force so america could last for a very very long time. And Russians army was the largest in the world at the time.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - June 30th 2009, 09:40 PM

One thing that they don't mention, though, are the very difficult flight characteristics of such a design. A significant amount of the computing power in B-2 bombers is used to keep the plane flying. They do not have the rudders like traditional planes do, among other differences, making the flight characteristics very different. Even if they had managed to produce the plane, it is not likely that they would have had much success with it, due to the minimal "computers" (if we can even call them that) available at that time.

IF, and that's a big if, they had gotten to a point of being operational and reliable, I still believe the Allies would have won, although it might have taken longer. If Germany introducing jet aircraft didn't win the war in the first place, I doubt this one would have changed the course of the war. Radar at that time was very primitive anyway, and while it would have made things more difficult, I doubt it would have crippled the Allies.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - June 30th 2009, 10:02 PM

I think it's pretty insane. How much destruction should someone be able to cause?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - July 1st 2009, 05:50 AM

Its amazing they came up with wood as the planes outer body to help with being undected by Radar from the Allies.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
slickguy55 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - July 1st 2009, 08:27 AM

I'm not sure but I think I saw this plane on the history channel. It takes off on a long track, and the track itself is connected to the plane and shoots it into the sky getting very close to the atmosphere. It would of been capable of bombing D.C. from Germany in a single flight.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - July 1st 2009, 05:12 PM

Mmmm, but he didn't win the war. So.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - July 1st 2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
One thing that they don't mention, though, are the very difficult flight characteristics of such a design. A significant amount of the computing power in B-2 bombers is used to keep the plane flying. They do not have the rudders like traditional planes do, among other differences, making the flight characteristics very different. Even if they had managed to produce the plane, it is not likely that they would have had much success with it, due to the minimal "computers" (if we can even call them that) available at that time.
Exactly. An early American design (the incredible XB-35 and beautiful B/RB/YB-49) was a failure due to "Dutch Roll" where air movements from left to right gradually spin the aircraft, the spins increasing until the aircraft becomes uncontrollable. Also there have been cases of extreme control reversal preventing the pilot from ejecting (I did say EXTREME...). Considering the problems the jets of the time had, including Germany's WIERD engine designs, I doubt the stealth fighter would have made a huge difference.

Oh, and the Russian winter didn't effect medium bombing much. It was the forward airfields with the fighter and ground-attack aircraft which suffered.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - July 2nd 2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
Mmmm, but he didn't win the war. So.
Sometime I will put togeter a thread of all the weapons that were being tested in Ww2 that you never even heard of.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - July 2nd 2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
Sometime I will put togeter a thread of all the weapons that were being tested in Ww2 that you never even heard of.
I'm looking forward to reading your thread then. But is one of them going to be a mind-reader or how do you know if someone has not heard something? That I'm even more intrigued on so if you have it, then show it please.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War for Hitler.. - July 3rd 2009, 05:04 AM

Here's an Allie weapon. BBC NEWS | UK | WWII poison darts secret emerges WWII poison darts secret.

Closed Thread