TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Beth. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 06:44 AM

I meant to post this sooner, but nonetheless here it is. My cousin was telling us about how his daughter, who is 18 months old about, dialed 911. They or she just hung up the phone afterwards. Then a second later, 911 or whom ever calls them back asking if everything is alright. This really worries me! What if they were a hostage or something? Or what if they just made a bad mistake, called in scared, hung up, and then they get a mere call back asking if everything is alright? That's not enough to me. They should always come to the house if 911 was dialed. Or place for that matter. Why take that chance? I dialed 911 when i was little because my brother dared me, and then hung up, and they came to my house. So I don't know when they started this procedure. Or if it was a one time thing, even if it was, I find it completely insane. Comments, and thoughts on this?

When all your friends have come and gone,
And the sun no longer shines,
And the happiness for which you long is washed away like an ocean's tide,
When all the hard times outweigh the good,
And all your words are misunderstood,
When the day seems lost from the start
You must follow your heart,
You must follow your heart.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 06:59 AM

You know, I remember when I was a little kid and my dad and I were at some public library, and I didn't know that you could call 911 for free on a payphone. I ended up telling the cops that someone went into the library and they shot everyone in the library. The last thing I remember was that the street was covered with cop cars, and I was sitting in my dad's truck and an officer was telling me to never call the cops unless it was an emergency.

I'm assuming that they call back because they get calls like that and don't want to send X amount of police officers to my location when there is a real emergency that requires the whole force or something. Who knows...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 08:03 AM

They've always done it like that where I live. When I was a kid my cousin called 911 and hung up, and they called back to ask if everything is alright. If nobody answers or it's answered and hung up, or if it's answered and the operator finds something suspicious then they send the police.
It's always been that way where I live.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 08:16 AM

I remember my sisters and I were playing "House" one day. My brother was supposed to be the "Dad" but because he didn't want to "go to work" he told us that he'd "been fired". My youngest sister felt the need to punch in some random buttons on the phone and scream into it that "OMG MY FATHER'S BEEN FIRED!" Next thing we know, my Mum's storming into the house furious. She drags us outside where we find a fire engine parked in our front yard. The fireman went on about getting a call about a father being on fire. We were pretty scared because my mum was glaring at us and my dad was clearly standing there NOT on fire. They made my parents pay a service fee though..(or so my mum tells us.. I think it was just to keep us off the phone) and warned us that there was an ambulance on the way. We didn't get into trouble, thank god, although my parents did make sure we didn't play with the house phones from that day on.

I think it's right that they came. It gets embarassing if it is a mistake/prank but it's always good to know that they're there and ready to rush over at a moment's notice. And, you're right. What if there had been an emergency? Anything could've happened in the time they took to check.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 08:23 AM

There actually is a service fee if a fire truck shows up at your house and there's no emergency.
Our neighbours had to pay it after they called the fire department on us twice because they didn't like the smoke coming from our backyard fire pit.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 08:44 AM

Oh. Oops.

That explains my Mum's annoyance then.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 10:16 AM

we had a talk from the emergency services in primary school.. so this was years ago, but i think they said that if you call 999 and hang up or stay silent then they will either disconnect your call or transfer it through to the police.. who will go to the location.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 10:57 AM

911 is a good thing, and sometimes people call 911 based upon playing with other kids, or they're dared, or it's purely accidental. 911 has a feature called E911 basically everywhere that the 911 system is used that the moment you pick up the phone, dial those three numbers from a landline, your address will immediately show up on the computer as wherever you are. Protocol usually states that it's based upon the caller's tone, voice, and backround noise whether or not to send PD, FD, or EMS. If it makes the dispatcher feel uneasy, or something doesn't seem right, PD is dispatched, but under normal protocols, PD is usually sent anyway to check it out. Usually they come to your house lights and sirens, talk to whoever's there, and leave after giving a lecture if the person that dialed 911 is old enough.

Hope this helps.

PM||VM
And I watched
As he tried to reassemble it
And my momma swore that
She would never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 02:12 PM

I have only called 911 once, and it was because my neighbors house was on fire. My mom told me to call whiole her and some other neighbors took hoses and tried to contain it. They put it out with a dozen graden hoses before the fire truck even got there. But they weren't mad because there had be prrof there was a fire and they had to go inside and look at stuff, to make sure it still wasn't on fire. Anyway....

I think it was in 7th grade someone butt dialed 911. (Even if a phone is locked and you press 911 and send, it calls). The came to our school and then left.

This month I watched something on the news saying if you called 911 by mistake, stay on the line and don't hang up, and you won't get in trouble.

I don't think that if you call 911 and just hang up they should go to your house. This is a lot of wasted resources thinking about how many 911 calls there are a day that are not real.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 06:13 PM

I called 911 like twice. Both for emergencies.
I'm sure a lot of people call them just to joke around.
It's really not something to joke around with though.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 06:29 PM

I once did the pay phone 911 thing before, and hung up when they answered. Few seconds later the pay phone started ringing. So my friend and I left. Then after that we saw a cop car pull into the parking lot.

So pretty much I think that they call back to make sure it wasn't an accident. I think this because always after. I think that they don't always send the cops because they have something more important to attend to.

These are just my thoughts
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 07:04 PM

At least they called back and checked if everything was OK.
I onced called 060 which is the 911 of Mexico, because a car was following us, and nothing happened we had to dive like 120mph before we lost them. It was a scary situation and the person who answered send noone or anything. Be thankful that they called back, she/he could of just let it go.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 07:24 PM

I think they should come to the house no matter what. Imagine if there was a burglar in your house so you couldn't talk... you called 911 and hoped someone would come... They SHOULD come. I've only called the cops once... and then came straight away!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Beth. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Re: Dialing 911. - December 6th 2009, 10:25 PM

That's what I mean Amy. What if someone was in one of those situations. I think everyone has missed my point, lmao. Jer, what if everything seems fine then. I don't believe that it's okay for the dispatcher to be able to make that judgement. No matter what, I feel they should be sending out a police officer to the place it was called from. You really never know.

When all your friends have come and gone,
And the sun no longer shines,
And the happiness for which you long is washed away like an ocean's tide,
When all the hard times outweigh the good,
And all your words are misunderstood,
When the day seems lost from the start
You must follow your heart,
You must follow your heart.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 12:17 AM

Can you text 911?

This would make more sense if you were being held prisoner or if your house was being broken into, so no one can hear.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 12:57 AM

I think it really depends on where you live. I see good things about the calling back, and bad things sure. I am not sure what it is like in my city, because i have never called 911.

But if you do send a police to EVERY 911 hang up, then the cops are doing a LOT. And some places that won't work, like in my town the closest station for police that can do stuff for my town, is across the country from us, so a good 20 minute drive. So you would have to send them a far way, for nothing which costs gas, and their time because for all we know something else is going on at the same time, which is a problem because of money lately. Plus, Truth is not all cops are nice. Some can be really rude about things, and scare people into not wanting to call 911 ever in fear of what happened, which means they won't call if something is really wrong. Like if i called 911 by accident i know i would NOT want a police to show up at my house, would rather not deal with them.

Also the problem if you accidently calling 911 a lot, it will be like the boy who cried wolf, and the police won't like having to go to your place a lot for nothing.

I wish it was possible to text 911, but as far as i know now it isn't possible. With how things are changing though, i wouldn't be surprised if it did become possible in the future.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 02:52 AM

I remember calling the police because I got in a verbal argument with my sister about watching a movie when I was younger. xD I hung up when they answered and they called back a minute later. I think that they do this to make sure there is an actual emergency, although I can see your point. I think, in resolution, that the cop should stay on the phone when there is no one speaking, unless the caller hangs up first. That way the cop may be able to hear what is going on in the background, or would at least know that the person is there and needs help. I think if I were in a hostage situation and called the cops, I wouldn't hang up anyway, even if I wouldn't be talking.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 03:00 AM

It is possible in some states to text 911, just depends on where you live. Here they send the police no matter what, I think. Recently my friend's little sister was playing with an old cellphone, and accidentally called 911. The police showed up a few minutes later. I think it;s good that they show up, or even just call back.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 06:28 AM

Beth, like I said, it depends on everything in the situation, from the tone of the person, from the backround noise, from how the person is sounding on the phone. PD is usually sent out anytime there's a 911 hangup regardless how the dispatcher feels about it. They're just messengers after all.

PM||VM
And I watched
And my momma swore that
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 07:16 AM

When I was little I called 999 (British version of 911) because I sat on the phone (my mum used to have a phone on her bedroom floor) and somehow pressed those buttons, fail.

They simply phoned back and asked if everything was okay too. I never really thought of it then but I agree that isn't a very good thing to do.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 10:11 AM

Part of the problem is with the amount of residents/businesses and the amount of emergency responders. Police, fire and ambulances cant rush to every site in certain cities because there's not enough responders and so they need a filtering system to ensure they don't go to a false scene while a real scene is occurring. Also, there are a limited amount of emergency vehicles because if there are many firefighters but all the trucks are gone, then they cant do much in time, so they need this filtering system also. If possible, police are sent because a) there's more of them and b) they're equipped for many situations and if they need fire or ambulance rescue, then they can call it. So this filtering system is needed.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Can you text 911?

This would make more sense if you were being held prisoner or if your house was being broken into, so no one can hear.
in the UK you can register for the text service for 999.. it's aimed at people with speech/hearing difficulties.. but in theory anyone could sign up for it i suppose.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 11:19 AM

Well...this is nice to know. I always had the plan that you know, I'd call and hang up fast if I couldn't actually talk and they'd come but I guess it doesn't work like that...oops. That'd be bad to be hostage or something and call, hand up and have them call..especially if you have caller ID. Maybe I'll save it in my phone as Mary Jane. haha

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 11:51 AM

My brother rang them accidentally once (he was really young so he didn't realise) and they rang back to check everything was okay. It might not be the best of ideas like said if you're being held hostage or something silly but at the same time it is a good idea in case something happened to you when you rang and them ringing back could be a way of helping you.

Plus, I'm willing to guess that they might get a few accidental calls so it's better to ring and check then send people out to you if it's just for nothing, those police officers could be going to a real emergency instead of checking out something that was just a mistake.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
senken.0 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 02:34 PM

uhh, it's there just in case the person behind the person forces the phone bakc and then brings down an ax on the persons arm.

they're making sure your alright. jesus
  Send a message via MSN to senken.0  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 02:48 PM

I think here if you call 999 from a landline they will send the police to your house.
I accidentally called 999 when I was about 4 and then a policeman came to the house and told me off. Sob, scary when you're young!

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 07:18 PM

Texting 911 is actually a new technology they're working on finalising for all areas. That would be SUCH an amazing valuable asset. Think, if you're hiding from a robber and can't talk, you can just text 'HLP ROBR' or something of the sort to 911. They can trace the call and come right away. Or even just add your address in quick-text. It would be such a great thing.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Dialing 911. - December 7th 2009, 07:44 PM

Thier policy the last I heard was they send someone out if you call and hang up twice. That way if something like this happens they don't waste resources like gas etc. I don't like how they have to handle some things like when someone breaks in and you're hiding they expect you to anser a ton of questions (this never happened to me, but I used to watch Rescue 911), but they're only doing what they're trained to do.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#29 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Dialing 911. - December 8th 2009, 11:33 PM

Another thing to realize, that i forgot about earlier. Is that a lot of cell phone if you call 911 WON'T go to your city's dispatch, you have to tell them which country you are in and such. I have heard a few cases of calls for something, and they go there. Nothing, find out later it was somewhere else. So the calling back might be to find out WHERE you are so they don't send it to the wrong place. I believe by now here are a few cases of people dying because dispatch didn't know where they were for sure. Believe it or not, not all dispatch centers are up to date. I know mine isn't. Most small cities aren't up to date with most stuff, because it costs a lot.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dialing 911. - December 9th 2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaty View Post
Another thing to realize, that i forgot about earlier. Is that a lot of cell phone if you call 911 WON'T go to your city's dispatch, you have to tell them which country you are in and such. I have heard a few cases of calls for something, and they go there. Nothing, find out later it was somewhere else. So the calling back might be to find out WHERE you are so they don't send it to the wrong place. I believe by now here are a few cases of people dying because dispatch didn't know where they were for sure. Believe it or not, not all dispatch centers are up to date. I know mine isn't. Most small cities aren't up to date with most stuff, because it costs a lot.
When calling 911 on a cellphone, it takes a lot more time. It takes a lot more effort, and resources based on signal, and your position. They actually use a GPS module in your phone, as soon as your phone is on it's activated, and when you call 911 it goes through what is called COMSAC. It triangulates positions through towers.

Click [here] if you want to read more about it.

PM||VM
And I watched
And my momma swore that
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist

Closed Thread