TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

Scott Brown: New Republican senator from Massachusetts - January 21st 2010, 05:06 AM

I'm pretty sure all of you have heard of it at this point. A Republican has recently been elected to a position formerly dominated by Democrats for many years, in one of the most democratic states in the nation (Massachusetts). This victory is significant, not in practical terms since it won't really change Senate dynamics a whole lot; rather, it is very symbolic and represents a tough blow to the Obama administration, since it shows that independent voters are now leaning away from the left. Add that to the fact that Obama tried to get a Democrat governor elected in Virginia and lost, and now this.

I think this shows Obama that America is opposed to his idea of "change".

What about the rest of you? Discuss.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Scott Brown: New Republican senator from Massachusetts - January 21st 2010, 05:21 AM

'Tis unfortunate, I'll agree to that much. Really not what we needed at the moment. Unfortunately, trying to get America to do what's in its best interest is like pulling teeth. Still, progress is progress, and lots has been made in the past year and change.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Scott Brown: New Republican senator from Massachusetts - January 21st 2010, 07:11 AM

I was really excited by it. To be honest, the broken healthcare bill they were trying to rush through without even looking at needed to be stopped. I won't say I oppose healthcare reform, but that bill was full of too much baggage and stupidity. And our wonderful Democratic Congress was trying to force it through as fast as they possibly could so Obama could say he had brought 'change.'

Democrats in general needed to wake up. They were pretty much running rampant doing whatever the hell they wanted to do. They were all so absorbed with Obama's pet projects that they were ignoring the issues their constituents (you know, those people who voted for them that they supposedly represent) actually care about.

~Cody

Normal User

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Scott Brown: New Republican senator from Massachusetts - January 21st 2010, 12:25 PM

Two things.

A- One state electing republican to a senate seat does not mean America is "sick" of Obama.

B- While I agree on the current health-care bill being crap, you really think the democrats are running rampant?

Here's a question. Why is it that as slowly things have progressed in congress, the Democrats are being called "rampant", while when Bush was in office he essentially was able to do ANYTHING HE FUCKING WANTED?

Sure isn't hypocrisy in here or anything.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Scott Brown: New Republican senator from Massachusetts - January 21st 2010, 02:11 PM

Hard to claim that the democrats are "running rampant"; american congress is as broken as it ever was. It's the same story: if the democrats actually had a free hand, they'd be able to draft a much better bill. But they have to waste time and compromise the bill trying to placate the other half the country. To be honest, if America becomes any more divided I wouldn't be surprised if it crippled the political system entirely. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the case.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Scott Brown: New Republican senator from Massachusetts - January 21st 2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
Two things.

A- One state electing republican to a senate seat does not mean America is "sick" of Obama.

B- While I agree on the current health-care bill being crap, you really think the democrats are running rampant?

Here's a question. Why is it that as slowly things have progressed in congress, the Democrats are being called "rampant", while when Bush was in office he essentially was able to do ANYTHING HE FUCKING WANTED?

Sure isn't hypocrisy in here or anything.
Though a historically VERY Democratic state electing a republican does seem to show something. In my opinion, there are a lot of people who feel Congress is so focused on healthcare, that they are ignoring other important issues. Also, you can see HERE under the 'Trust on Issues' heading that Americans trust the GOP more than the democrats more in all but three categories; and, of those three, two are tied. The only thing the democrats are ahead in is Education. You can also see that 42% of people strongly disapprove of Obama, while only 27% strongly approve. Honestly, seems to me that Americans are getting pretty 'sick' of Obama and the Democratic Congress. I honestly think that if it wasn't for Obama's personality, he would have little to no support. He's getting by on his charisma, not with sound policy or actions.

As far as Bush, I never said anything about him. I didn't say that the current Congress was any more or less rampant than he was. I honestly wasn't old enough for most of his time as president to accurately judge him. Seeing where we are now though, I can't say he could have been any worse than what we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Hard to claim that the democrats are "running rampant"; american congress is as broken as it ever was. It's the same story: if the democrats actually had a free hand, they'd be able to draft a much better bill. But they have to waste time and compromise the bill trying to placate the other half the country. To be honest, if America becomes any more divided I wouldn't be surprised if it crippled the political system entirely. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the case.
By better you mean more expensive and even less thought out? Because that seems to be how they've done it with the other issues they've tried to deal with. I mean, they sent off billions of dollars in bailout money practically on a whim. And they barely set up any kind of guidelines or oversight as to how the money was spent. I mean, all the firms that were bailed out gave millions in bonuses and they allowed that? Really?

I feel a lot better now that power has been slightly balanced. Having such a majority of democrats was really just not at all good for this country. I can't say that the same majority of republicans would be good either, though I honestly would feel better with republicans than democrats. Overall, it's best when it's at least somewhat balanced and one party can't push any bill they want through because their adored president said it should be so.

~Cody

Normal User

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Scott Brown: New Republican senator from Massachusetts - January 21st 2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber42 View Post
Though a historically VERY Democratic state electing a republican does seem to show something. In my opinion, there are a lot of people who feel Congress is so focused on healthcare, that they are ignoring other important issues. Also, you can see HERE under the 'Trust on Issues' heading that Americans trust the GOP more than the democrats more in all but three categories; and, of those three, two are tied. The only thing the democrats are ahead in is Education. You can also see that 42% of people strongly disapprove of Obama, while only 27% strongly approve. Honestly, seems to me that Americans are getting pretty 'sick' of Obama and the Democratic Congress. I honestly think that if it wasn't for Obama's personality, he would have little to no support. He's getting by on his charisma, not with sound policy or actions.
American's are "sick" of Obama because they expected him to balance the budget with his right hand and cure cancer with his left. The country is a mess. The country was a mess before Obama got anywhere near office, and barring a true miracle the country is going to continue to be a mess for many years to come. Anyone who expects Obama to change that is deluding themselves. Obama's job to ensure that the mess at least has a future. As far as I can see he's doing a good job of that, despite the voting populace having a paralyzing fear of progress.

Quote:
As far as Bush, I never said anything about him. I didn't say that the current Congress was any more or less rampant than he was. I honestly wasn't old enough for most of his time as president to accurately judge him. Seeing where we are now though, I can't say he could have been any worse than what we have now.
Do some research, then. Bush was truly awful and, were he around now, would be making the mess even worse.

Quote:
By better you mean more expensive and even less thought out? Because that seems to be how they've done it with the other issues they've tried to deal with. I mean, they sent off billions of dollars in bailout money practically on a whim. And they barely set up any kind of guidelines or oversight as to how the money was spent. I mean, all the firms that were bailed out gave millions in bonuses and they allowed that? Really?

I feel a lot better now that power has been slightly balanced. Having such a majority of democrats was really just not at all good for this country. I can't say that the same majority of republicans would be good either, though I honestly would feel better with republicans than democrats. Overall, it's best when it's at least somewhat balanced and one party can't push any bill they want through because their adored president said it should be so.
Y'know, I find the first point a little funny. Isn't management giving themselves huge, largely undeserved bonuses what capitalism is all about? I'm bothered by it too, but I'm bothered by it in all cases, not just the one that conveniently makes Obama look bad.

From my point of view, America is one of the most conservative of developed countries, and probably the one with the most problems. Health care, religion, education, poverty, international relations. The "American" way of doing things has resulted in America faring worse in each one of those categories than almost any reasonably comparable country. One democratic president can't fix all of that, but we have to start somewhere.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Scott Brown: New Republican senator from Massachusetts - January 22nd 2010, 11:25 PM

Obama is standing by his agenda, which shows he's a man of his word. All that may be criticised is the order in which things will be done. He'd have gotten a lot further if the opposition hadn't slowed things down..
It's politics, nothing can go smoothly with bias around, it's a shame really, Obama can potentially do a lot if he was left to it without the opposition, lobbyists and other biased sources throwing arguments and criticisms at the public.

He's done well considering what problems he's been left with to clean up. It's Bush's crap he's trying to clean up - Afghanistan in particular. He's doing this whilst trying to get his administration to change how things in the country are run, things that were somewhat neglected by the previous administration which was more concerned with international affairs, rather than domestic. A lot of people forget that.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

Closed Thread