TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 23rd 2010, 05:46 AM

the Geneva Conventions provide rules too which warring nations r supose to follow however the modern battlefield is not nation vs nation but instead has armies battleing terrorists and radicals. theese groups r known for being brutal in there fighting, so do you think that nato countries should be allowed to break the conventions and fight using tactics pereviously considered cruel

for those who dont know the Geneva Conventions
they can be found here http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0...evaconventions

ill hold my opinion till after sum1 posts

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 23rd 2010, 06:14 AM

They are technically mercenaries, which are not covered by the Geneva convention and the codes of war, and therefore, we can treat them however we wish.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 23rd 2010, 07:23 AM

Absolutely they should apply. The Geneva Convention isn't an arbitrary set of rules to be avoided when possible if it's strategically. "Two wrongs don't make a right" is one of the very first moral codes each of us learns as children. If it's going to make the difference between victory and defeat, I could see room for exception. But as things are right now? No. If it's not the only option, it's not the right option. Honestly, many of the things covered by the Geneva Convention are utterly horrific. Ignoring it should be all but unthinkable.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.

Last edited by Xujhan; February 24th 2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Clarification
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 23rd 2010, 12:49 PM

Terrorists do not belong to a state army. They have no rank or serial number.

PLUS, they don't follow it in the first place.

So, no.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 24th 2010, 01:51 AM

personally i think there should be a diff set of rules for fighting terrorists. im not saying we should be allowed to slaughter them(well not all the time at least) but treating them as we would conventional soldiers wont work taliban soldiers barley even react to being shot at they know we cant fight them unless there shooting they take every advantage because they know we fight in a more civil manner. were using peace keeping stragities

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 24th 2010, 01:57 AM

terrorism is the poor man's war, war is the rich man's terrorism....

Basically... two wrongs don't make a right. And thembeing terrorists is very situational. Not to mention the US and the UK already break laws with treatment of *suspected* terrorists. They torture people, who are not always guilty. Please justify this? Because I can't, particularly when we criticise the terrorists behaving in such ways.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 24th 2010, 02:36 AM

If they dont play by the rules, our safest possible way to beat them is by also breaking rules.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 24th 2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
terrorism is the poor man's war, war is the rich man's terrorism....

Basically... two wrongs don't make a right. And thembeing terrorists is very situational. Not to mention the US and the UK already break laws with treatment of *suspected* terrorists. They torture people, who are not always guilty. Please justify this? Because I can't, particularly when we criticise the terrorists behaving in such ways.
i garuntee u we treat them a hell of a lot better than they treat us, if a terrorist surrendurs we dont shoot them we take them as prisioners try surrenduring to a terrorist group and see what happens, yes things like waterboarding r bad ice rooms may not be that nice but all they do is cause discomfort torture inflicts pain agont and true misery

a little tale of terrorists

a good friend of mine is a sgt in the us marine corps we runs a logistics motor pool bringing food and clean water to isolated troops in iraq 2 weeks ago while driving a truck of food to a mash amp his unit saw a group of young children blocking the road they stopped got out of there trucks and had there translator tell the children to clear the road so they could pass. before they could even get a response form the kids groups of terrorists hiding on either side of the road opened fire with rpg7's and pk machine guns they killed nearly every1 in the motorcade before running off, it was later learned that this is a fairly common tactic of theres (using kids to get soldiers into the open that is) my friend wasa hit 3 times in the leg and has severe shrapnel damage to his chest the doctors said he will never walk again.

now how do u purpose we handle situations like this we r fighitng an enemy who is willing to use children as decoys and doesnt even blink to fire rockets 30 from where there own ppl r standing if we follow the rules of war as they stand now there really isnt naything we can to in situations like this rules of war say u order the civilians to stand down and proceed but thats what theese nut jobs want, as long as we play by the rules our soldiers will get killed trying to do the right thing

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 24th 2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightEleven91 View Post
If they dont play by the rules, our safest possible way to beat them is by also breaking rules.
But what kind of precedent does that set? They aren't just "the rules," they're our rules. But this goes beyond just breaking our own rules; these are things we've said are too horrific to even commit on people we are at war with, things we've said should never be committed on anyone. Any then we go and do these things anyway, just because it's convenient? How can we possible expect the world to respect us if we sink to the very levels that we've ourselves condemned, with no more justification than "they started it!" I say again that it should be unthinkable.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 24th 2010, 04:01 AM

It may make combat in such instances easier but when the Geneva Convention was implemented, it wasn't done so to apply only when we want it to, in other words, we don't pick and choose which wars or battles it will apply to. It applies to all of them. Suppose we do indeed breach it, then what good will come of that? Sure, we may be able to treat terrorists much harsher but what will the reaction by not only by the terrorists but by other countries who are not involved? It'd great a political and international shitstorm, one so big the next galaxy may be able to smell it. After we breached it, then what will come if we decide to no longer breach it? It ruins any credibility we have in up-holding it along with showing other countries that we cannot be trusted as much as we used to be.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: should the rules of war apply to terrorists - February 24th 2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
But what kind of precedent does that set? They aren't just "the rules," they're our rules. But this goes beyond just breaking our own rules; these are things we've said are too horrific to even commit on people we are at war with, things we've said should never be committed on anyone. Any then we go and do these things anyway, just because it's convenient? How can we possible expect the world to respect us if we sink to the very levels that we've ourselves condemned, with no more justification than "they started it!" I say again that it should be unthinkable.
This. We should follow our rules, even if they don't. Plus, I don't think mercenaries are covered by the Geneva convention.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
Closed Thread