TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

CBS ban on gay blood - March 3rd 2010, 08:16 PM

I just finished writing an essay for my Canadian Politics class about the Canadian Blood Society current MSM deferral policy. This basically means that if a man has had sex, even once, with a man since 1977 they can never donate their blood.
What do you guys think about this?
After researching into the matter, I now believe that deferrals should be based on risky sexual behaviour, rather than (when it comes down to it) sexual orientation.

Last edited by LimLight; March 3rd 2010 at 11:30 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 3rd 2010, 08:24 PM

I had a friend who happened to be openly gay, and he was so angry when they refused his blood in a local blood drive, that he started a petition at our old highschool. I don't know what came of that, but anyways, I find this ridiculous.

Perhaps the best thing to do in this case is to make it compulsory for everyone who donates blood to provide a form from their doctor that states that they are sti free and that they have healthy blood. That way discrimination won't be a problem. And everyone who is sexually active should get tested annually anyways (and many don't). So it would be killing two birds with one stone.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 3rd 2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAlive View Post
I had a friend who happened to be openly gay, and he was so angry when they refused his blood in a local blood drive, that he started a petition at our old highschool. I don't know what came of that, but anyways, I find this ridiculous.

Perhaps the best thing to do in this case is to make it compulsory for everyone who donates blood to provide a form from their doctor that states that they are sti free and that they have healthy blood. That way discrimination won't be a problem. And everyone who is sexually active should get tested annually anyways (and many don't). So it would be killing two birds with one stone.
Yeah, I've known a few people who weren't able to donate too, and I think it's ridiculous.

I see where you are coming from there, but I feel that if everyone who donates needs a doctors note, not nearly as many people will.

I feel it would be more efficient if they had questions directed at risky sexual behaviour instead, like unprotected sex. That way more people would be eligible to donate, and the people they aren't catching now who potentially have infected blood would be deferred.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 3rd 2010, 09:18 PM

I honestly could never figure out why it matters since they're supposed to test all blood anyway before it gets given to somebody.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 3rd 2010, 09:33 PM

i think it's ridiculous. the blood is all tested before it gets near the recipient anyway, so who it comes from is irrelevant really..

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 3rd 2010, 10:00 PM

The NHS in the UK has a similar policy at the moment as well - the LGBT group within the SU ran campaigns against it practically every year I was at university. Personally, I don't see what the ban really achieves - to my mind they should be screening all blood donations for HIV and other infections anyway (especially as, by definition, someone receiving a transfusion is in a weakened state anyway). Blanket bans achieve nothing except curtailing an already limited donor pool.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 4th 2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post
i think it's ridiculous. the blood is all tested before it gets near the recipient anyway, so who it comes from is irrelevant really..
But those tests cost money. By eliminating a group that is statistically much more likely to have an STI, it makes the tests vs. "usable donations" ratio smaller, and in theory saves money. Right or wrong, I think it is a cost efficiency thing more than it is discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 4th 2010, 03:28 AM

I definitely agree - risky behavior is not the same as being gay. Wow. This is completely shocking for me. I'm just waiting for the day when people come to their senses about their unfair judgements about different sexualities.

"Life should not be measured by how far we can fall, but how high we can climb."

Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 4th 2010, 05:52 AM

The amount of lost blood is irrelevant under the idea that "Even if ten evil men get away is it wort it of one innocent man suffers"?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 4th 2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
The amount of lost blood is irrelevant under the idea that "Even if ten evil men get away is it wort it of one innocent man suffers"?
I'm sorry, but how does that relate? My brain may just not be awake yet, but this doesn't make sense to me. Could you explain?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 4th 2010, 12:45 PM

Its the same in England, and I think its ridiculous.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 4th 2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
I honestly could never figure out why it matters since they're supposed to test all blood anyway before it gets given to somebody.
This. I could easily walk into a blood drive and answer the questions any way I pleased, as could anyone else. Testing needs to be done on the blood, so why is it so important that they reject people? Wouldn't it be better to try and filter out people with confirmed problems, but not to filter out whole groups because of the supposed "risk."

~Cody

Normal User

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 4th 2010, 09:07 PM

seriously??? oh my gosh that is pathetic!!!.
everyone should be treated with the same respect and given a chance!. they check blood anyway before a transfer usualy. it's ridiculous! i mean a gay person could have a seriously rare blood type and yet he can't give blood because it's refused! i'm seriously disgusted with that! makes me so angry!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 4th 2010, 11:31 PM

All blood is suppose to be tested anyway, so why does it matter if someone is gay or not? Blood is always in short supply, they shouldn't limit themselves further by following a stereotype.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 9th 2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAlive View Post
I'm sorry, but how does that relate? My brain may just not be awake yet, but this doesn't make sense to me. Could you explain?
Hmmh what I am trying to say is that, it is bad that ten HIV negative people can't give blood, but if that keeps one HIV positive person from donating blood, it is worth it.

Space Flight Awards

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 9th 2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-him View Post
seriously??? oh my gosh that is pathetic!!!.
everyone should be treated with the same respect and given a chance!. they check blood anyway before a transfer usualy. it's ridiculous! i mean a gay person could have a seriously rare blood type and yet he can't give blood because it's refused! i'm seriously disgusted with that! makes me so angry!
"Rare" is subjective, the common blood type is different depending where you are int he world, it's not as if gays carry some magic blood.

Space Flight Awards

(#17 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 9th 2010, 01:24 AM

Gay men are still men, there is no difference between a gay mans blood and a straight mans blood. I think that this is so wrong! Will they accept gay womens blood? Things like this really irritate me!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 9th 2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Brittany. View Post
Gay men are still men, there is no difference between a gay mans blood and a straight mans blood. I think that this is so wrong! Will they accept gay womens blood? Things like this really irritate me!
But there is a higher chance of a gay man carrying HIV/AIDS then a straight man, by percentage.

Space Flight Awards

(#19 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 9th 2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
"Rare" is subjective, the common blood type is different depending where you are int he world, it's not as if gays carry some magic blood.
But they do have blood, which is still quite valuable. I don't know how it is in Canada, but here in the US, there have been blood shortages before. Any blood could be useful. Why preclude someone from donating based solely on the fact that they may carry a disease? Even if half of all gay men were infected with HIV/AIDS (this is not a real statistic, I looked for one, but I'm at work and can't spend all day searching for statistics) then that'd still leave another 50% with good, usable blood. Furthermore, it could be argued that someone who knew they were infected or who thought they were at risk would be less likely to donate their blood in the first place.

I think a much more sensible solution would be to exclude any gay man not in a monogamous relationship from donating if they'd had sex in the last year. This would give the HIV time to be in their system and be easily detectable by the tests made to screen for it, but would not exclude so many people who could be otherwise productive blood donors.

~Cody

Normal User

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 10th 2010, 07:10 AM

I think it's nonsense for three reasons. First, people can and do lie, so that gets around admitting to have had male-male sex. Second, blood is tested prior to being given and although it may cost more and take longer to test for HIV, if they're testing for at least 10 things, then adding 1 more thing cant be such a hard ordeal. Third, they specify they'll refuse if there was male-male sex since 1977. Hence, you can have male-male sex as long as it's in 1976 or earlier and be fine. The year, 1977, seems arbitrary and if they're going to reject men who had male-male sex, then do so no matter when they had the sex. By tossing in a random benchmark it emphasizes that for some reason, having sex within or after 1977 is somehow more dangerous than within 1976 or earlier. As far as I know, HIV/AIDS didn't become bad only after 1977.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 10th 2010, 07:38 AM

What I feel like this saying to our community is that gay males all have diseases that came from having sex. Which is fucked up.

If they're going to do things like that, they should say you can't donate blood if you've had sex at all, which is unrealistic and silly. A gay male's blood is probably a lot less dangerous than a prostitute who has sex all the time with random guys.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: CBS ban on gay blood - March 10th 2010, 07:39 AM

I think it's stupid. Have signed various petitions for the law here to change. One of which was started by gay men saying that they would willingly have a HIV test if it meant they could give blood. But it's still the law. Stupid really, when they need so much blood to refuse a fairly large part of the population.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread