TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Homophobic Misused - March 12th 2010, 04:08 AM

I am sick of the term "Homophobic" being thrown around as soon as someone says something against gays. Let's get this straight, Homo is a word of Greek origin meaning same, equal, like, similar, common; one and the same, phobia is a word of Greek origin meaning irrational or disabling fear. Homo = same, phobia = fear, or considering Homo is used to mean Gay, "Fear of Gays". It is all too often thrown around to mean "Dislike of gays, Hatred of gays, anything anti-gay". It means being afraid of gays, not disliking them, stop using it as a generic insult to people who disagree with the gay agenda!!!


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Name: Marvin
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,576
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 12th 2010, 04:18 AM

Heterosexism was introduced by academics, but it never really took off. I think the argument about the 'misuse' of homophobia is absurd... as homophobia is an understood term, which conventionally means what its used for, even if not technically. And language is simply to protray a meaning >.> Get over it.

On the other hand, most people who are 'homophobic' in the common sense have irrational, illogical views, and in many, they do result in a level of fear that is excessive to real danger.

Also, the gay agenda of equality? So can we just call you all bigots?
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 12th 2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Heterosexism was introduced by academics, but it never really took off. I think the argument about the 'misuse' of homophobia is absurd... as homophobia is an understood term, which conventionally means what its used for, even if not technically. And language is simply to protray a meaning >.> Get over it.

On the other hand, most people who are 'homophobic' in the common sense have irrational, illogical views, and in many, they do result in a level of fear that is excessive to real danger.

Also, the gay agenda of equality? So can we just call you all bigots?
Your intolerant too. The tolerance paradox arises from the problem that a tolerant person is antagonistic toward intolerance, hence intolerant of it. The tolerant individual is by definition intolerant of intolerance, but in so being must be intolerant of himself. This problem is at the heart of the dilemma faced by pluralist societies who wish to embrace diversity, but in doing so ostensibly exclude those who do not embrace diversity, which includes a large portion of the world's population.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 12th 2010, 05:38 AM

The problem with that is that in our society we don't go by the actual definition of words, they've been formed into different meanings. Such as people calling us faggots. That's not what it really means, but everyone knows how they're using the term.

At least where I live, homophobia is described as someone who is rudely intolerant to gay people. While it is used as a derogatory term, if you don't think being called intolerant to gay people is a bad thing, then it's not a bad term?

I don't know if I explained that as I was trying to. But yeah.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 12th 2010, 01:48 PM

So lemme get this straight. You don't like gay people. In fact, you basically view them as subhuman and because of such, you don't believe they deserve equal rights.

BUT, we shouldn't call people like you homophobic, because it OFFENDS YOU???

You, know what, you're right. What would you like us to call people like you so that we don't appear "offensive" or "discriminatory" to people like you.


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
PhoenixAlive's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 29
Gender: Trans
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 631
Join Date: January 10th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 12th 2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
So lemme get this straight. You don't like gay people. In fact, you basically view them as subhuman and because of such, you don't believe they deserve equal rights.

BUT, we shouldn't call people like you homophobic, because it OFFENDS YOU???

You, know what, you're right. What would you like us to call people like you so that we don't appear "offensive" or "discriminatory" to people like you.
Wow, that's harsh... I think political correctness has gone way overboard if someone can't even voice their opinion against a controversial minority group without being called a bigot or a homophobe. People have different values, and not everyone will accept our lifestyle. We're not going to change for them, why do we expect them to change for us?
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 12th 2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAlive View Post
Wow, that's harsh... I think political correctness has gone way overboard if someone can't even voice their opinion against a controversial minority group without being called a bigot or a homophobe. People have different values, and not everyone will accept our lifestyle. We're not going to change for them, why do we expect them to change for us?
I don't think it's harsh in the least bit.

Did I cross into another dimension here? I fail to see how me not accepting someone else's view that some people are subhuman makes me the intolerant one.

The face that some people cry that they deserve to be treated fairly, while simultaneously bashing the attempts at equal rights of others is mind bogglingly infuriating to me.


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
PhoenixAlive's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Age: 29
Gender: Trans
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 631
Join Date: January 10th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 12th 2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
I don't think it's harsh in the least bit.

Did I cross into another dimension here? I fail to see how me not accepting someone else's view that some people are subhuman makes me the intolerant one.

The face that some people cry that they deserve to be treated fairly, while simultaneously bashing the attempts at equal rights of others is mind bogglingly infuriating to me.
When did anyone in this thread say that homosexuals are subhuman?
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 13th 2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTank77 View Post
So lemme get this straight. You don't like gay people. In fact, you basically view them as subhuman and because of such, you don't believe they deserve equal rights.

BUT, we shouldn't call people like you homophobic, because it OFFENDS YOU???

You, know what, you're right. What would you like us to call people like you so that we don't appear "offensive" or "discriminatory" to people like you.
No no no no! What I am angry about is you're lack of proper use of the English language, homophobic is misused, it means afraid of homosexuals, not disliking homosexuals! So stop using it out of context!


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

Last edited by Guile; March 14th 2010 at 06:43 AM.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while
********
 
Hdjdjdjduvieg's Avatar
 
Name: no

Posts: 1,127
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 13th 2010, 10:49 AM

Well considering people say "That's gay!" to mean "That's stupid!" I don't think the world "homophobe" is really that big a deal.

I don't care if people call me it because I am not firmly in place for issues like "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and "Gay Marriage." It's their opinion and it's mine. Besides, the moment someone personally attacks you instead of attacking the debate, they lose anyways.


I love the name of honour more than I fear death.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Yen's Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Oregon

Posts: 352
Join Date: October 21st 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 13th 2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
No no no no! What I am angry about is your lack of proper use of the English language, homophobic is misused, it means afraid of homosexuals, not disliking homosexuals! So stop using it out of context!
If you really want to get into the misuse of words in their proper definition then just give up the english language right now


"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Tericon Offline
The Waistcoated Wonder
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Tericon's Avatar
 
Name: Nat
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Uk, near Manc

Posts: 204
Join Date: February 12th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 13th 2010, 07:28 PM

Words are always evolving in the English Language, its the natural order of things, if you truly are a 'Legal Advisor' then you should know this, 'mischief rule' ring any bells? i hardly think you are in the position to judge Mr Guile, if you cannot even get 'your' and 'you're' right. :P

As much as it pains the leftie in me, he does have a right to free speech, as does everyone, but there is a fine line between the mere voicing of opinions and actually outlining another 'minority,' (which homosexual people still appear to be ^^) in an offensive way, i do think Guile oversteps this line.


'If you've got the inclination
I have got the crime' - Oppurtunites - PSB <3

'Reel me in and cut my throat' - World- The Killerz <3

When we fall in love, we're just fallin' in love with ourselves... - Spiralling- Keane <3
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,124
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 13th 2010, 07:34 PM

If gays can call us homophobic, then we can call them heterophobic. But I'm sure that most of the gay community wouldn't like that. Even though they know we don't like being called homophobic, they still do it. Just because we aren't for you doesn't mean we are against you guys. I don't agree with it, but honestly I don't care. But one thing that the gay community needs to stop doing it trying to make us be okay with it.


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Tericon Offline
The Waistcoated Wonder
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Tericon's Avatar
 
Name: Nat
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Uk, near Manc

Posts: 204
Join Date: February 12th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 13th 2010, 07:38 PM

But one thing that the gay community needs to stop doing it trying to make us be okay with it.

Is respect too much to ask for? Common human decency? Would be nice, i don't expect you to come round with a bouquet of roses every day


'If you've got the inclination
I have got the crime' - Oppurtunites - PSB <3

'Reel me in and cut my throat' - World- The Killerz <3

When we fall in love, we're just fallin' in love with ourselves... - Spiralling- Keane <3
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,124
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 13th 2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tericon View Post
But one thing that the gay community needs to stop doing it trying to make us be okay with it.

Is respect too much to ask for? Common human decency? Would be nice, i don't expect you to come round with a bouquet of roses every day
I respect gays, why shouldn't I respect gays? You guys should respect us too.


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Tericon Offline
The Waistcoated Wonder
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Tericon's Avatar
 
Name: Nat
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Uk, near Manc

Posts: 204
Join Date: February 12th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 13th 2010, 07:41 PM

Glad to hear it :P Sorry for tarrin' you with the Guile brush :P


'If you've got the inclination
I have got the crime' - Oppurtunites - PSB <3

'Reel me in and cut my throat' - World- The Killerz <3

When we fall in love, we're just fallin' in love with ourselves... - Spiralling- Keane <3
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 14th 2010, 03:27 AM

Guile, here's a problem. You're saying you don't care for the usage of the word "homophobia" or "homophobic" in the given context. I can live with that, however, you haven't suggested an alternative word to describe those who are discriminatory to homosexuals. Suggest an alternative word, otherwise what do you expect people to say? People, at least rational people, won't agree because the word you should be stating, they may not like.

However, some people may indeed be afraid of homosexuals and so the word "homophobia" would persist for that usage. But with this in mind, I'm interested in hearing a word you'd like to use instead of the aimless bashing you're giving to people in this thread.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while
********
 
Hdjdjdjduvieg's Avatar
 
Name: no

Posts: 1,127
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 14th 2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
Guile, here's a problem. You're saying you don't care for the usage of the word "homophobia" or "homophobic" in the given context. I can live with that, however, you haven't suggested an alternative word to describe those who are discriminatory to homosexuals. Suggest an alternative word, otherwise what do you expect people to say? People, at least rational people, won't agree because the word you should be stating, they may not like.

However, some people may indeed be afraid of homosexuals and so the word "homophobia" would persist for that usage. But with this in mind, I'm interested in hearing a word you'd like to use instead of the aimless bashing you're giving to people in this thread.
Straight supremacists.

Sorry... just got of the ACLU thread.


I love the name of honour more than I fear death.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Name: Marvin
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,576
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 14th 2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
If gays can call us homophobic, then we can call them heterophobic. But I'm sure that most of the gay community wouldn't like that. Even though they know we don't like being called homophobic, they still do it. Just because we aren't for you doesn't mean we are against you guys. I don't agree with it, but honestly I don't care. But one thing that the gay community needs to stop doing it trying to make us be okay with it.
I would much prefer to be called a heterophobe then a faggot or dyke?

Though here's the thing though, a lot of heterosexuals are what is considered 'homophobic', they are accepting, affirming and supporting... the issue isn't with straight people, its against people who hold beliefs that either bar us from equality, degrade us, or down right hurt us (emotionally or physically). That isn't an issue with sexuality, thats an issue of rights. Whereas homophobia is much more about sexuality... so its simply not the same thing.

Though I will highlight, there is a thing called heterophobia. Some queer people are heterophobic, but many aren't, such as homophobia among straight people. Nonetheless, it exists...

You seem to have the impression that what you get for being against gays is on equal level to what we get for being gay. Have you ever been physically attacked for your beliefs when you were just walking down the road minding your own business? I have, some kids thought I was a gay man (?), my friend the other week in London got beat up, and his head repeatly bashed into a lamp post pole. My ex boyfriend when he was still a lesbian (he is a ftm transguy) got beaten up a number of times. My ex gf saw a lesbian attacked outside of the chip shop she worked in, the lesbians nose got broken. An old man got killed by some kids the othe month in a generally safe gay friendly area of London, because he was gay. A lot of us got seriously bullied in school for simply being percieved to be gay, out or not out. My father would disown me. Lesbians are sometimes raped in the attempt to 'cure' the lesbian, or teach her a lesson. Etc, etc. Even if you are not always treated with all the respect you would like to be, understand, its not the same thing, and perhaps when gays can live life without all the potential harm and loss in society we are at risk for, or the high suicide rates increased by such things, people would be more laid back about you simply having an opinion against gay sex. But it can be hard not to get defensive, for hopefully obvious reasons.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 14th 2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
Guile, here's a problem. You're saying you don't care for the usage of the word "homophobia" or "homophobic" in the given context. I can live with that, however, you haven't suggested an alternative word to describe those who are discriminatory to homosexuals. Suggest an alternative word, otherwise what do you expect people to say? People, at least rational people, won't agree because the word you should be stating, they may not like.

However, some people may indeed be afraid of homosexuals and so the word "homophobia" would persist for that usage. But with this in mind, I'm interested in hearing a word you'd like to use instead of the aimless bashing you're giving to people in this thread.
How about something simple, instead of Homophobic (afraid of homosexuals), we could use Homoiratus (Latin).


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 14th 2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
How about something simple, instead of Homophobic (afraid of homosexuals), we could use Homoiratus (Latin).
OK, fair enough, homoiratus. However, what about those who are not necessarily angry at homosexuals but just find it unappealing (i.e. two guys or two girls as unappealing)? Hopefully you see now that when we use your terminology of homoiratus, it still gets misused because just like homophobia, it doesn't accurately cover everyone. You need to make the proper words to accurately describe each group, such as those who support homosexuality, those who find it unappealing but are not angry at it and so forth. If you fail to do so, then you're a hypocrite because you're right back where you started by saying it gets misued.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
OK, fair enough, homoiratus. However, what about those who are not necessarily angry at homosexuals but just find it unappealing (i.e. two guys or two girls as unappealing)? Hopefully you see now that when we use your terminology of homoiratus, it still gets misused because just like homophobia, it doesn't accurately cover everyone. You need to make the proper words to accurately describe each group, such as those who support homosexuality, those who find it unappealing but are not angry at it and so forth. If you fail to do so, then you're a hypocrite because you're right back where you started by saying it gets misued.
How about instead of using a term, we just describe it, I am against homosexuality, I dislike homosexuality, I fear homosexuality, instead of having specific terms. (Note I am using I as an arbitrary term).


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
How about instead of using a term, we just describe it, I am against homosexuality, I dislike homosexuality, I fear homosexuality, instead of having specific terms. (Note I am using I as an arbitrary term).
Language tends to use words to describe a concept and I'm sure one-word terms could be made to describe each person's view, such as homophobic, homoiratus (as you mentioned) and so forth. But it's fair enough to simply describe it in multiple words to convey the correct meaning.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,124
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
I would much prefer to be called a heterophobe then a faggot or dyke?

Though here's the thing though, a lot of heterosexuals are what is considered 'homophobic', they are accepting, affirming and supporting... the issue isn't with straight people, its against people who hold beliefs that either bar us from equality, degrade us, or down right hurt us (emotionally or physically). That isn't an issue with sexuality, thats an issue of rights. Whereas homophobia is much more about sexuality... so its simply not the same thing.

Though I will highlight, there is a thing called heterophobia. Some queer people are heterophobic, but many aren't, such as homophobia among straight people. Nonetheless, it exists...

You seem to have the impression that what you get for being against gays is on equal level to what we get for being gay. Have you ever been physically attacked for your beliefs when you were just walking down the road minding your own business? I have, some kids thought I was a gay man (?), my friend the other week in London got beat up, and his head repeatly bashed into a lamp post pole. My ex boyfriend when he was still a lesbian (he is a ftm transguy) got beaten up a number of times. My ex gf saw a lesbian attacked outside of the chip shop she worked in, the lesbians nose got broken. An old man got killed by some kids the othe month in a generally safe gay friendly area of London, because he was gay. A lot of us got seriously bullied in school for simply being percieved to be gay, out or not out. My father would disown me. Lesbians are sometimes raped in the attempt to 'cure' the lesbian, or teach her a lesson. Etc, etc. Even if you are not always treated with all the respect you would like to be, understand, its not the same thing, and perhaps when gays can live life without all the potential harm and loss in society we are at risk for, or the high suicide rates increased by such things, people would be more laid back about you simply having an opinion against gay sex. But it can be hard not to get defensive, for hopefully obvious reasons.
For the first statement, I don't get what you're trying to say. I need some clarification.

I'm fully aware of the violence that takes place due to homosexuality. But you're forgetting how many Christians are slaughtered because of their beliefs, and you know it. If a page of a bible is found It costs your life. We get just enough grief from the world as you do, though It is not in the United States, you need to think outside of the U.S. or any English speaking country.

I'll re-highlight, that nowadays, If you are not homosexual friendly, as In you do not hold the belief that homosexuality is okay, you're an outcast. I want to say It is perfectly fine if you don't believe that same-same sex is okay. I don't stand for it. I stand for the rights of individuals, but I don't stand for the sexuality. I've had gay friends, and they haven't had a problem with me, but they know where I stand. And honestly everything is a-okay.


Following is pg-13.

To me it is an issue of sexuality for several reasons. You don't have to agree with the reasons, but here's one that I hold. There is no procreation with same sex marriage. If you can have sex It can potentially hurt the person anally and cause further damage. It does not lubricate itself. Nature did not create things to go in, only go out, lol. I'm not saying that that's bad, I'm just trying to give an example of why It's not the normal creation. A heterosexual couple doesn't have to have children, It's just the fact that they have ability if they potentially want to. I don't want to argue, because I know Tegan that we have different views, but I just want to show you.

I disagree with anyone that wants to harm an individual because of their sex, religion, race, beliefs, politics, and whatever else. But just because someone doesn't agree with your beliefs, mine, or anyone elses, It doesn't make them ignorant or judgemental. Keep that in mind.


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
EightEleven91's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 269
Join Date: February 22nd 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 02:57 AM

Gays always pull out the old homophobic card.
About the word, I couldnt care less, its a word everybody uses so deal with it.

As for gays, your gay, its your problem. You all want freedom of this, freedom of that when it comes to homosexuality, but when it comes to freedom of speech concerning us straight ones you're all against us having our own say on it.

Note: I dont hate or dislike gays, infact, why do I feel I have to put that I dont dislike gays here? If I was disagreeing with a straight person I wouldnt feel the need to put "Note: I dont hate or dislike straight people."
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Algernon's Avatar
 
Name: Holly
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Roseville, California

Posts: 4,124
Join Date: January 21st 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightEleven91 View Post
Gays always pull out the old homophobic card.
About the word, I couldnt care less, its a word everybody uses so deal with it.

As for gays, your gay, its your problem. You all want freedom of this, freedom of that when it comes to homosexuality, but when it comes to freedom of speech concerning us straight ones you're all against us having our own say on it.

Note: I dont hate or dislike gays, infact, why do I feel I have to put that I dont dislike gays here? If I was disagreeing with a straight person I wouldnt feel the need to put "Note: I dont hate or dislike straight people."
Good point. I always feel the need to put that at the end of my posts because everyone might think I'm a gay-hater. But they don't need to put anything at the end of posts, do they?


Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 03:43 AM


What's so wrong with everyone having their own definition of what homophobia is?

But actually, I think there is a definitely a better word to use for people who are intolerant of gays, but not fearful of them. Personally, I'd just call them ass holes.

Don't get me wrong, you don't have to like the idea of homosexuality. But people who go on protests of gay rights, and who insult and bash gays? See profanity above.





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post

What's so wrong with everyone having their own definition of what homophobia is?
Because it's incorrect, don't be idiotic, if we all took a meaning of our own to every word then there would be no language. Our language is based on the agreement over what means what, not our own opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post

But actually, I think there is a definitely a better word to use for people who are intolerant of gays, but not fearful of them. Personally, I'd just call them ass holes.
+1 for you being tolerant, and you call us the "ass holes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post

Don't get me wrong, you don't have to like the idea of homosexuality. But people who go on protests of gay rights, and who insult and bash gays? See profanity above.
Or the people who insult and bash people for having a different view, I.E. you?


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Name: Marvin
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,576
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
For the first statement, I don't get what you're trying to say. I need some clarification.

I'm fully aware of the violence that takes place due to homosexuality. But you're forgetting how many Christians are slaughtered because of their beliefs, and you know it. If a page of a bible is found It costs your life. We get just enough grief from the world as you do, though It is not in the United States, you need to think outside of the U.S. or any English speaking country.

I'll re-highlight, that nowadays, If you are not homosexual friendly, as In you do not hold the belief that homosexuality is okay, you're an outcast. I want to say It is perfectly fine if you don't believe that same-same sex is okay. I don't stand for it. I stand for the rights of individuals, but I don't stand for the sexuality. I've had gay friends, and they haven't had a problem with me, but they know where I stand. And honestly everything is a-okay.


Following is pg-13.

To me it is an issue of sexuality for several reasons. You don't have to agree with the reasons, but here's one that I hold. There is no procreation with same sex marriage. If you can have sex It can potentially hurt the person anally and cause further damage. It does not lubricate itself. Nature did not create things to go in, only go out, lol. I'm not saying that that's bad, I'm just trying to give an example of why It's not the normal creation. A heterosexual couple doesn't have to have children, It's just the fact that they have ability if they potentially want to. I don't want to argue, because I know Tegan that we have different views, but I just want to show you.

I disagree with anyone that wants to harm an individual because of their sex, religion, race, beliefs, politics, and whatever else. But just because someone doesn't agree with your beliefs, mine, or anyone elses, It doesn't make them ignorant or judgemental. Keep that in mind.
Like me start by clarify my first statement. It was in reference to you saying why dont you call us heterophobe. My point was heterophobe wouldnt really offend us, we get much more offensive terminology than that, I would actually say its an improvement.

Second off, I don't believe its inheritantly wrong to disagree with homosexuality, the issue is generally when this is pushed on those who do not agree. You do not have to have gay sex because gays think it should be fine, as they shouldnt have restrictions on their behaviour because you don't think it should be fine.

I'm not saying this is you Holly. I don't believe I've at least in recent years, called you a homophobe specifically. Some people might. I suppose if you went into the gay threads of teens having issues of shame/guilt, etc, than it wouldn't be appropriate, and I'd be a lot more bothered then if you shared them in a debate thread. I believe freedom of speech, particularly when its is not affirming, but rather damaging, is not ok in some contexts, but ok in others. I believe for example in a conservative church, preachers should be allowed to disagree with homosexuality, as long as they are not inciting hate. But, I mean, I know some gay people would have a problem being a friend of someone who disagrees with being gay, because you would probably feel they are disapproving of you, and its never fun, but I guess so long as I knew a person still respected me as a human, I'd be their friend still. Like I'm out to my brother, I'm pretty sure he believes gay is a sin, but he still acts like my brother, so I wont try to argue about it with him. Its only if he decided to change how he acted to me I'd have made an issue about it. However homophobia is often used to discribe more then simply holding the belief its wrong.

And I know many Christians in other parts of the world are killed. I'm well aware of that. My dad is a pastor, I am a Christian, so I'm aware of these things, however in the developed world, being a Christian is not that bad, except from some atheists who think its silly, so poke fun at it. At the same time as that being bad, its not a high level of problems. I suppose it also depends where you are. When I was still anti-gay, the only real problem I got was one person tell me I was 'racist against gays', basically. In many places, in the UK, and definately America, its much easier on the whole to be against gays, as there's still a lot of societal 'homophobia'. Though may I outline, gays still have the death penalty in many places, and life imprisonment, etc, around the world too.

Butt sex only covers a percentage of gay men, and totally excludes lesbians. Not to mention, in the modern world, we have lube, gay men having butt sex should also use lube, or it serves them right. But a lot of straight men like giving and recieving anal too. This issue of procreation is a null point in a thriving population, particularly when its overpopulated. Not to mention, in humans, reproduction is rarely a part of sexual behaviour. And one could argue that sexual celibacy is therefore on an equal level to homosexuality. Because essentially, neither are in reproductive pairings, and if both really needed to really reproduce, they either could have straight sex, or find some way of procreating. But if there's no need, which there is not in this society, why should people resist their greater preference for the same sex. I highly doubt the gays would allow the human race to die out, many of us arent actually scared of the opposite sex, we just arent attracted to them.

As for the 'why do you feel the need to point out you dont hate gays, and gays dont mention they dont hate straights if they are arguing with a straight person?'... ok, there are exceptions, but generally, gays arent making arguments that heterosexuality is wrong/immoral, infact they aren't commenting on heterosexuality. Heterosexuality does not = disagreeing with gays. Disagreeing with gays = disagreeing with gays. The latter is the reason there arent disclaimers straight people aren't hated.

Oh, and being gay is made a problem in the first place because of society, it wouldn't be a problem if no one cared/treated it differently.
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Member
Average Joe
***
 
a_soldier_of_orange's Avatar
 
Name: Jess
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: The bowels of hell, estados unidos

Posts: 114
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: July 31st 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 04:33 AM

Language evolves with society and will continue to evolve with society - what is accepted nowadays is sometimes completely incorrect by the standards set 50 years ago.

"Correct" is not as tangible and solid as you would like to assume.


skydiversinreverse

   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Because it's incorrect, don't be idiotic, if we all took a meaning of our own to every word then there would be no language. Our language is based on the agreement over what means what, not our own opinions.


+1 for you being tolerant, and you call us the "ass holes".



Or the people who insult and bash people for having a different view, I.E. you?
I just have to point this out: You tell me I'm being intolerant, yet you are being completely intolerant of the fact that some people have a different different definition of homophobia than you do. Next time you start pointing fingers, make sure your own hands are clean. Otherwise, you might be considered as a hypocrite.

You tell me I am a terrible person for bashing people with a different view as I have. But.... isn't that what you're doing?

Also, I took the liberty of googling define:homophobia. And according to: http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=homophobia homophobia is not only fear of gays, it's also prejudice against gays. So apparently you are smarter than the big shots at Princeton? Wow!





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 05:29 AM

Sorry Guile; if you want to debate the nuances of language and be taken seriously, you have to first demonstrate that you in fact understand the nuances of language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile
Your intolerant too.
Case in point.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfNyx View Post


I just have to point this out: You tell me I'm being intolerant, yet you are being completely intolerant of the fact that some people have a different different definition of homophobia than you do. Next time you start pointing fingers, make sure your own hands are clean. Otherwise, you might be considered as a hypocrite.

You tell me I am a terrible person for bashing people with a different view as I have. But.... isn't that what you're doing?

Also, I took the liberty of googling define:homophobia. And according to: http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=homophobia homophobia is not only fear of gays, it's also prejudice against gays. So apparently you are smarter than the big shots at Princeton? Wow!
Homo means same, phobia means fear, homophobia (homo in this sense meaning homosexual) means fear of homosexuals, that is what it means, it's Greek! You can't just decide on your own meaning, then you are not using proper English.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Homo means same, phobia means fear, homophobia (homo in this sense meaning homosexual) means fear of homosexuals, that is what it means, it's Greek! You can't just decide on your own meaning, then you are not using proper English.
Many words have connotations in many circumstances beyond the dictionary definition; many more words words shift in meaning with each passing generation, and yet more words adopt entirely new meanings to fill a gap in the language, rather than have new words be created. In this case, the new word "heterosexism" never caught on, and the term "homophobia" stepped in to fill its place. Regardless of its roots, its meaning is well understood by the majority, which is the ultimate goal of language. The link Amanda provided shows this to be perfectly legitimate.

In any event, I don't quite see what your aim is. Whether people say "homophobic" or simply "intolerant anti-gay bigot", their meaning is the same. No one is going to defer to your opinion simply because there's no concise slur to label you with.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
arepo's Avatar
 

Posts: 2,434
Join Date: June 7th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 09:48 AM

I agree that it's thrown around a bit too much and people don't quite understand what it actually is.
Honestly, I know this would never happen (), I think people should just accept gays as they are.

I have a feeling someone's going to point out about accepting people that are homophobic, but if gays were simply accepted, there would not exactly be homophobia.


“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
losing touch.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Posts: 5,996
Blog Entries: 537
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 01:23 PM

i don't see why you care so much, it's only a word. if you dislike gays why do you care so much about everything that surrounds homosexuality?

as for my view on it, i think homophobia is a perfectly acceptable term to use. to me it doesn't actually mean fear of gays, more anti-gay. lots of words don't stick by their literal meaning.


..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..



   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Oiseau the Little Bird!'s Avatar
 
Name: Bernadette
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 457
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: January 13th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
If you can have sex It can potentially hurt the person anally and cause further damage. It does not lubricate itself.

Au contraire, mon frere! The anus actually excretes a small amount of lubricant to assist in making bowel movements! Not sufficiently like, say, some ladyparts, but it does.

Just thought I'd run with that.


Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.


  Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Yen's Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Oregon

Posts: 352
Join Date: October 21st 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 06:53 PM

If you want to get into and debate the literal meanings of words in the English Language, then you're in for a long long long long uphill battle .


"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Homo means same, phobia means fear, homophobia (homo in this sense meaning homosexual) means fear of homosexuals, that is what it means, it's Greek! You can't just decide on your own meaning, then you are not using proper English.
Can you link me to a source that says homophobia ONLY means fear of gays? Because until you can, it's fair to judge that your statement is no more than an opinion as well.

And what's your obsession, anyway? People misuse words all of the time. There are also words that can have more than one meaning, correct? For example, if I were to call you an idiot, it could mean that I think you are extremely intolerant of others opinions, or it could simply mean that you do not treat gays with respect. The meaning behind an insult like this is different depending on the situation in which you are using it. So wouldn't it be fair to say that this could also be true with the word homophobia?

Since you're so annoyed with this 'misuse' of the word homophobia, I'm going to assume the reason behind this is that you've been called homophobic a good few times in the past. Obviously this would frustrate you and be rather insulting... but doesn't it make you just as guilty when you turn around and both frustrate and insult the people who would say you are homophobic?

You also have to take into consideration that there is no other word to describe those who are against homosexuality. Unless you make some huge contribution to the dictionary and demand that a new word be used, you better get used to the idea of homophobia being used to describe prejudice against gays, because what other word are we supposed to use?





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Homophobic Misused - March 15th 2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Homo means same, phobia means fear, homophobia (homo in this sense meaning homosexual) means fear of homosexuals, that is what it means, it's Greek! You can't just decide on your own meaning, then you are not using proper English.
No, she's using proper English, just improper Greek. If we were Greek I'm sure you'd have an argument. Like it or not homophobia is in the dictionary, and I believe that's the standard by which we judge the correct meaning of words.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
homophobic, misused

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.