TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pandaloo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 09:50 PM

So I'm doing a presentation in my English lesson about this topic. And I thought I'd ask you guys what your opinions were on the topic.

It's been debated about for a while, whether violence in video games influences people to become more violent. So, what are your thoughts on this topic? Just thought I'd see =]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 10:01 PM

Absolutly not, it's just some excuse society wants to use to take the blame off of people. People just don't go crazy and kill after playing video games, I do recognize some games are too violent like GTA but that is no excuse, I've played it before and didn't go crazy.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 10:23 PM

I'm sure video game violence can lead to real-life violence, but I also think that watching R rated movies, or listening to certain music can also lead to violence. Is that the video game's problem? Heck no. The warning labels are out there. A kid shouldn't be playing GTA IV...and if a parent buy his/her kid a violent video game, then that's the parent's responsibility...NOT the video game's responsibility.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 10:29 PM

If video game violence directly caused real-life violence, to be frank I should have killed half the population of the UK by now considering the number of shoot-em-ups and strategy games I've played. So I'm going to err on the side of scepticism.
I think it can play a part in causing people to act more violently, but only in combination with other influences on behaviour such as environment or exposure to other sources of violence. Video game violence tends to be too abstract to be easily linked to reality. That said, I still think the age restrictions should be enforced more stringently than they are currently - for one thing it would stop games being used as an excuse for wider problems.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 10:30 PM

There are a TON of studies and experiments done on this very topic and all research is pointing towards a big fat yes, particularly with children. If you can get your hands on some of that research, it will be really beneficial towards your project.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 10:36 PM

Yes.

If violent video games had only been banned before the Holocaust....

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 10:52 PM

The only impressiable kids that are affected by video game violence are -11 or a few years older.

For instance have you guys ever played mw2 online? The amount of kids i have heard on the multiplayer is ridiculouse. There parents buy the Game for them.

But overall im fed up of video games being made scapegoats for the politicians and agony aunts
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 11:13 PM

I don't think it CAUSES violence directly no, I think they are always other causes on top of it. BUT I do think the amount of violence that is in the mass media does desensitise us towards violence, which I don't think is at all healthy, and could be considered pretty dangerous.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#9 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
BUT I do think the amount of violence that is in the mass media does desensitise us towards violence
I agree. The Media pumps out more violence then Games, Films and tv shows put together.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 11:16 PM

i think in younger children in particular, yes. older people, not so much.. i guess kids are more easily influenced though.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 11:20 PM

Does anyone here remember when a kid killed his freind after playing Manhunt?
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 11:37 PM

In young children they can lead to some violent behaviour, see Bandura and Ross' experiment on it with bobo the doll.

On slightly older children the results are unclear and research is incredibly contradictory. Although, a few meta analysis type studies have suggested that violent video games don't cause violence.

However, with older and less impressionable individuals it has been suggested that moderate play of violent video games either makes no difference or can actually reduce violence by providing an outlet for stress.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 24th 2010, 11:54 PM

I think it does in children. I don't really think it's the prime source of the violence though, if they're violent to start with then I think it could easily make them worse.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 12:33 AM

I believe it can lead to violence, but then again so can most things, movies, music, even the people you hang out with.
My sister's soon to be step son plays far too violent games in my opinion, but he is the sweetest kid [aged 8...I think] he wouldn't harm a fly. So really, I believe it's to do with the individual. If a person is going to be violent they will be without the aid of any influence.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#15 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 12:47 AM

Video Games do not cause violence.

Bad parenting causes violence.

/thread

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 12:51 AM

Humans are violent by nature, not by video games. It's up to everyone how you control your anger/violence.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
In young children they can lead to some violent behaviour, see Bandura and Ross' experiment on it with bobo the doll.
Bandura's social learning theory and bobo the dool are famous, you should be able to find them online easy, I suggest you follow Jack's advice and look them up.

Though its really hard to study this stuff, as video games arent the only enviromental source of violence. I believe there is a correlation, but that may easily be explained with 'violent people like violent games', more then 'games make people violent'. Though by violent here, I dont mean violent criminals, just general aggression.

Quote:
Humans are violent by nature
ok, it might not be from video games, but there's a lot to suggest violence and agression are largely socially learnt, only partly natural.

Last edited by Marvin; March 25th 2010 at 01:05 AM.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 01:25 AM

I don't think violent video games cause real-life violence, but I do think that they make it somewhat worse, along with violent films, and violence in the media.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 01:39 AM

With children , yes. I know this since my siblings are constantly playing violent computer games and I've started to notice that, one of them at least is becoming a bit...sociopathic.... I'm worried about him, he doesn't have any ability to emphasise and has no conscience it seems.. I blame my parents though =/.

With older people...only if they're already a bit, to use the vernacular, fucked up.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 01:41 AM

i don't think that video games are the cause of violence, no. However, could they be impressional on a young child? Sure.There are a lot of things in our media that influence children, and that does include video games, however society also influences children. If a child is raised in a atmosphere where violence is acceptable, chances are they will turn out violent even if they never play video games.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 01:54 AM

I'd have to say no; although I certainly think that having a young child exposed to violent images probably desensitizes them to it which I think may encourage violent behaviour. Once they're older, I don't think it would affect most people. I would think people who blame video games for violent behaviour probably had violent urges before they played the games and they just indulged with games.

I remember when I was younger(around five) my brother and I used to play Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit all the time(which is basically about street racing and running from the cops) and that never made us get into high speed chases.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#22 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 04:51 AM

This is a little bit off topic but I found it interesting.
Today in one of my classes a student said that a few years ago in Germany (I think) they did a study where they got children to play a violent video game for a certain amount of time in one year, and afterwords it was proven that they were better at math, reasoning, and spacial situation (Like knowing how to park-if they'll fit, etc...) I don't know the exact details about it but I thought it was interesting. Also, the children were tested before and after they played the video games. Before they did not have the math skills that they did after playing them.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 06:46 AM

there's some evidence complex games (so not like pong), increase concentration and attentional skills. Spatial improvement would also make sense, as you keep up with all on the screen your mind has to process it quickly. So you're skill would improve. I think any changes on those sorts of skills, based on what Ive read, are about the complexity of the viewed material, not the actual violent content. Just violent games tend to be more complex. Particularly as they are aimed at older audiences often

(#24 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 11:08 AM

You are in control of your actions, so you make the descisions
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 11:25 AM

My cousin is 8 and he has Autism. After watching Toy Story he thought he could fly like Buzz and re-enacted the scene where Buzz jumps off the landing and tries to fly. He ended up breaking his arm.

I think if he watched a violent film or played a violent game he could possibly try to re-enact it and could possibly hurt someone. He is the nicest kid but he has trouble establishing what is reality and wouldn't realise it is wrong.

His parents would never let him watch any scary film or play any violent video games at his age for two reasons, they know how it would effect him and he's 8.

Even when he is older they will be very careful with what he watches and plays but right now they are trying to teach him the difference of films/games and reality which is difficult because of his Autism but he has improved a lot.

They are hoping my the time her is 15/18 when he can watch/play violent games with that certificate he will understand more about what is and isn't reality, once he is that age it will be difficult to stop him play and watch what he wants.

So overall I do think violent games and films can give children mixed ideas of right and wrong and can portray violence as fun but I think it is down to the parents to teach them right from wrong and not buy them inappropriate games/films for their age. There are warning labels and age certificate for a reason.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
There are warning labels and age certificate for a reason.
Yes, but there Parents buy the Games for them and that makes the age restrictions redundent
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashAttack View Post
Yes, but there Parents buy the Games for them and that makes the age restrictions redundent
That's not the fault of the games. Again, bad parenting.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
That's not the fault of the games
I dident say it was the fault of Games, i was on about the parents that let there kids play violent video games
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I dident say it was the fault of Games, i was on about the parents that let there kids play violent video games

If you fully read what I say I did mention the parents and say it was the parents fault for buying inappropriate games and ignoring the certificates and labels.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post

I think it is down to the parents to teach them right from wrong and not buy them inappropriate games/films for their age.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
If you fully read what I say I did mention the parents and say it was the parents fault for buying inappropriate games and ignoring the certificates and labels.....
I'll put my jokes aside for a sec:

I agree with you mostly, but theres one thing that somewhat disturbs me with your opinion. You say parents should follow the label...But I don't believe the label should be followed blindly. Let me explain..

The parents should be the ones who decide what game the child plays, we can agree on this. But I also believe that it is ultimately the parent's choice that needs to be respected. Not that stupid label which was placed by people who never even played the game (seriously).

It all depends on the child's maturity, and no one is a better judge of that than the parents. If they want to buy the kid a violent game, then I say go on ahead, but only if they believe their child can handle it.

Not following an arbitrary label doesn't mean bad parenting. Giving a violent game to a kid who they KNOW will be affected by it IS bad parenting.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 25th 2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I did read what you typed out, so dont get funny.

Quote:
Not that stupid label which was placed by people who never even played the game (seriously).
I agree. The people who put the warning labels on the front of Games just look at the screenshots and think ' oh look this Game is violent, lets rate it 18'
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
My cousin is 8 and he has Autism. After watching Toy Story he thought he could fly like Buzz and re-enacted the scene where Buzz jumps off the landing and tries to fly. He ended up breaking his arm.
How does Autism cause him to do that?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#33 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Autisic people are more impressionble
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 12:19 PM

It some cases it can make people more violent. Small children can be quite influenced by what they see, so for them it could make them more violent. For older people, I guess it also could, but it depends on the individual.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugez View Post
I agree with you mostly, but theres one thing that somewhat disturbs me with your opinion. You say parents should follow the label...But I don't believe the label should be followed blindly. Let me explain..

Not following an arbitrary label doesn't mean bad parenting. Giving a violent game to a kid who they KNOW will be affected by it IS bad parenting.
I completely agree with you, the labels are a guide. I was more talking about the parents who just blindly buy the game when the children ask for it without even looking into what the game is about or bothering to read the labels because they basically don't care.
One of my Teachers bough her 10 and 12 year old sons Modern Warfare 2, she said she didn't realise it was an 18 as the 1st one was a 15. She could easily find out it was an 18 form reading the box or looking on the internet she just didn't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Basically like Will said, he is a lot more impressionable and finds it difficult to establish reality and fiction, similar to how he can't understand sarcasm and dramatic over-exaggerations.

I think the thing that triggered him to think he would fly was he was wearing a costume of Buzz which lead him to believe he was Buzz and could fly like him....

Autistic people range a lot on how the react to thing so not all Autistic people are like this it is just how his Autism effects him.

Last edited by Melody Pond; March 26th 2010 at 05:14 PM.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 05:28 PM

Only if you're under 11. And then only 15+ and over games. And to be honest, they shouldn't be playing that. If after 11 you go crazy and kill people because of the video game, that's your mental problem's problem, not the video game.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 05:34 PM

Little kids shouldn't play the games because they are still in an important state of development. But if you're an older teen, then go for it.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOnMe View Post
If after 11 you go crazy and kill people because of the video game, that's your mental problem's problem, not the video game.
I would say if a child with a mental problem killed someone because of a game that was inappropriate for them then it is the parents fault for letting them play it.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 05:40 PM

I was playing 18 rated games when i was 13/14 and it dident do me any harm 'reaches for sniper rifle'.
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Does video game violence cause real-life violence? - March 26th 2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
There are a TON of studies and experiments done on this very topic and all research is pointing towards a big fat yes, particularly with children. If you can get your hands on some of that research, it will be really beneficial towards your project.
I just want to point out that the two are highly correlated, but there is no proof that one causes the other.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread