TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 3rd 2010, 08:43 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Quote:

LOS ANGELES: Father and brother of actress Afshan Azad, who starred in 'Harry Potter', have been charged with threatening to kill her. The 22-year-old actress was cast as Padma Patil, a classmate of the child wizard in the film series.

The actress' father Abdul Azad, 54, and her 28-year-old brother Ashraf are alleged to have threatened her at her home in Manchester, England. Ashraf is also accused of assaulting his sister.

Afshan was allegedly attacked because her family, who are Muslim, did not approve of her relationship with a Hindu man, according to a spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service, People magazine reported.

Afshan first appeared as her character — the identical twin sister of Parvati Patil — in 'Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire', the fourth film in the wizard series. She will also be seen in 'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows', the final film in the saga.

According to the Daily Express, they assaulted her when she refused to cut off relations with her Hindu boyfriend. The paper said the two men allegedly confronted her in her bedroom and the assault left her "badly bruised".
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...ow/6125905.cms

That's horrible I hope she's okay now.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 3rd 2010, 11:26 PM

Lucky escape for her to be honest!

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Goatboy Offline
Full-time Vicarious Vampire
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 3rd 2010, 11:51 PM

wow, wasn't expecting that
hope things get sorted out

Life is a waterfall,
we're one in the river,
and one again after the fall.
We drink from the river,
then we turn around and put up our walls.
When you lose small mind,
you free your life.
When you free your eyes,
eternal prize.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 02:12 AM

Very lucky escape, as Rachel said. It's not a good thing, but I'm actually kinda glad her family reacted like that? Because she is an actress, it draws more attention to domestic dispute and violence, which doesn't get enough attention. I hope she's okay though.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 03:00 AM

Wow, that's intense!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 03:39 AM

I'm a little confused as to how it is a "lucky escape". I don't think there is anything lucky about being beaten and abused. And whilst it may shed a light on domestic violence, I'm pretty sure that it will only lead to more discrimination against Muslims. Which is exactly what the world doesn't need.

I just hope she is okay and that she is able to get out of that situation without getting hurt again.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 03:52 AM

Wow that's horrible. I'm glad she is alive though.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
I'm a little confused as to how it is a "lucky escape".
It's a lucky escape for her that that's all they did. Some Muslim men - and please don't take me as racist just for saying this; I'm talking about extremists here - may have seen it as their duty to kill their daughter for dating a Hindu. I'm glad this has been so publicised, it shows that it happens even over here in the UK

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#9 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver jackal View Post
wow, wasn't expecting that
hope things get sorted out
I was, Islam is fucked up, there is no nice way of putting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
It appears you don't know that much about Asian communities, this is defintley getting off lightly and it IS lucky that someone interviened and it is very rare that the case actually got to court. So yeah, I'd say she's is a pretty good situation right now because what could have happened and what reguarly does happen is a lot worse.
It's not culture, it's religion. It is also probable that it only went to court because she is famous.

Quote:
It's a lucky escape for her that that's all they did. Some Muslim men - and please don't take me as racist just for saying this; I'm talking about extremists here - may have seen it as their duty to kill their daughter for dating a Hindu. I'm glad this has been so publicised, it shows that it happens even over here in the UK
Extremists still need something to feed on. Such is the result of unquestionable faith

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush 40 View Post
I was, Islam is fucked up, there is no nice way of putting it
Your experience of Islam was not positive. This does not mean that Islam is 'fucked up'. To those that understand it correctly and follow the reglion correctly it can be a beautiful religion.. I hate that this is rarely acknowledged because of a very small minority of extremists and people like you.

Quote:
It's not culture, it's religion. It is also probable that it only went to court because she is famous.
This sparked from different religions, but regardless of religions the same reactions and opinions would be present throughout the Asian community. Hence 'Asian community' not 'religion'..

It's fine to have one.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Extremists still need something to feed on. Such is the result of unquestionable faith
It merely wished not to imply that every Muslim in the world would attempt to kill their daughter for dating a Hindu man as I personally know a couple of very nice, gentle Musilms who wouldn't do anything of the sort. That and my mothers old boss was a Muslim woman with a Hindu husband.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#12 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Your experience of Islam was not positive. This does not mean that Islam is 'fucked up'. To those that understand it correctly and follow the reglion correctly it is a beautiful religion.. I hate that this is rarely acknowledged because of a very small minority of extremists and people like you.

This sparked from different religions, but regardless of religions the same reactions and opinions would be present throughout the Asian community. Hence 'Asian community' not 'religion'..
Fair enough, I did overboard there but I stand by the fact that it's not as tolerant as many other religions. Don't forget that Islam is the justification used by these extremists, if their faith in Allah, or any other part of Koran could be questioned then there'd be fewer extremists. I'm not saying that Islam itself is extremist but the faith provides justification to them.
Mind you I wasn't aware that beautiful religions claimed theirs to be the one true religion.

It did spark from different religions and maybe I was unduly harsh on Islam when religion itself is to blame.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, I did overboard there but I stand by the fact that it's not as tolerant as many other religions.
I agree completely. I know it's going off on a slight tangent, but when Salman Rushdie released Midnight's Children, his fellow Muslims said that whoeve killed him would automaticly be allowed into heaven. Added to which, there are a couple of Muslim countries who use their religion as an excuse to abuse women (gang raping a woman for a crime her male relative commited, marrying girls off at the age of 9 etc) and I'm a diehard femenist. I have a pretty low opinion of Islam.

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#14 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 06:21 PM

Islamic is a very intolerant religion. The world would be a better place without religion, when I come to think of it. Hope she's ok, but it's also a good thing, because it gives more publicity to domestic violence etc.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictional View Post
I do realise their point, but my point is that there is nothing lucky about being abused like that. It is something horrible and tragic. Saying she is lucky is basically implying that she should be grateful for what happened, since it wasn't any worse. And no woman should ever have to feel lucky for "just" being abused.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 4th 2010, 11:53 PM

^ that's not what lucky escape means though. It means lucky to escape with nothing worse happening, which she was, not that what happened didn't mean anything. Maybe it means different things in the UK and where youare.

Can't say anything on the Islam topic, I'll get too angry, but nice to know people are able to judge an entire religion on the action of a select few. Great!

It's fine to have one.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 5th 2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
^ that's not what lucky escape means though. It means lucky to escape with nothing worse happening, which she was, not that what happened didn't mean anything. Maybe it means different things in the UK and where youare.

Can't say anything on the Islam topic, I'll get too angry, but nice to know people are able to judge an entire religion on the action of a select few. Great!
Unfortunately, with Islam, it's not exactly 'a select few'.. there's actually a rather large amount of people like this. There's at least 3 families just in my town like that..

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 5th 2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOnMe View Post

Unfortunately, with Islam, it's not exactly 'a select few'.. there's actually a rather large amount of people like this. There's at least 3 families just in my town like that..
I do actually know a fair amount about Islam.

3 families in your personal experience is defintley enough to slate the whole religion on though

I can name over 50 who are loving, generous and deeply religious.

Ah I can't be drawn into this anymore. It actually really pisses me off when people refuse to look past the media publications. Yes, the culture of 'honor killings' is present and terrible but this does not reflect the entire community or religion, religious figures are standing up against this. 99.99999999% of the religious community opposes any kind of terrorist involvment. It is unfair to tarnish the entire group of people because of the actions of a minority. It is unfair to assume that just because some people following Islam behave in terrible ways, all of them do. It makes me sick to my stomach that women that choose to wear veils experience bullying because of it, or god forbid people trying to 'save them from their oppression' -- no they're not being oppressed, many of them in England choose to do so because it's a bloody fashion statement! You should see the ones some of my friends wear to college, I've never seen so much embroidery!

What would you think about me if I said "Oh you're catholic? going to grow up and become a kiddy fiddler are you?" Or "Ohhh you're American, haha I bet you can't even point out your own country on a map, aren't you all illiterate, racist, Bush-supporting bigots?" Both of these statements are doing exactly what you're doing -- making assumptions about the whole based on a minority. Yet these statements aren't considered okay, whilst "Islam is a horrible religion" is perfectly fine...

Yes Asian families in general do tend to be stricter than other nationalities. I don't think this is always a bad thing, it's simply a different culture. I have plenty of white friends whose parents are just as strict. Beatings and honor killings and forced marriages are present, but they are NOT the norm, and the vast majority of the religious community work AGAINST such things (and it is improving over time but as with everything it will take time). Domestic violence is hardly abscent from white communities either, or christian communities, or jewish communities.

Ugh I have to stop.

It's fine to have one.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; July 5th 2010 at 01:01 AM.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 5th 2010, 04:39 AM

Let's take the Religion debate to the Religion forum, that's what it's for after all.

I do have to say this though, well Islam may have extremists, Christianity does do. Actually all religions have their extremists, let's try to remember that before we judge a whole religion based on the actions of a dozen odd people.

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

Smile through the tears.

PM me

(#20 (permalink)) Old
SonicFan Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 5th 2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
Let's take the Religion debate to the Religion forum, that's what it's for after all.

I do have to say this though, well Islam may have extremists, Christianity does do. Actually all religions have their extremists, let's try to remember that before we judge a whole religion based on the actions of a dozen odd people.
That's very high handed of you, not what you said but the paragraph structure. The first one forbids us members from talking about it, but the second one gives your opinion which, from the first paragraph we cannot question (just like religious faith )

Much as religion belongs in the religion section it is an integral part of this story, nobody is pretending the violence has nothing to do with religion. If you wish to forbid talking about religion then close the topic.

It is true all religions have extremist buts there must be something wrong with the religion itself when someone can use it as an excuse to commit such acts. 9/11 happened in the name of Islam, the Birmingham pub bombings in the name of Catholicism.

I judge a religion not on what it tells people but how it acts. Islam, like Christianity and all other religions indoctrinate children which is wrong in any reasonable person's estimation

Quote:
What would you think about me if I said "Oh you're catholic? going to grow up and become a kiddy fiddler are you?" Or "Ohhh you're American, haha I bet you can't even point out your own country on a map, aren't you all illiterate, racist, Bush-supporting bigots?" Both of these statements are doing exactly what you're doing -- making assumptions about the whole based on a minority. Yet these statements aren't considered okay, whilst "Islam is a horrible religion" is perfectly fine...

The first two examples you used cited a person and what would happen to them. As you rightfully said it's not considered okay (itself vaguely defined). A comparable one for Islam would be "You're a Muslim? You'll grow up to be a suicide bomber" which is not okay. There is a difference between religious people and religion itself .

Anyway, I've had to my say. To borrow a concept from religion: "this is my belief and it's right regardless of any evidence"

Last edited by SonicFan; July 5th 2010 at 01:45 PM.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 5th 2010, 04:17 PM

Except I'm not basing it on 3 families. I'm basing it on those 3 families, plus all the families my friends know, and all the things you hear about on the news. The entire culture of Islam seems very unaccepting of other cultures.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 6th 2010, 12:48 AM

Every single religion has extremists who believe they're doing the right thing by hurting or killing their own family members when they go against the wishes of their family (ergo, the beliefs of the faith as well). While I agree that this is awful, I also agree with Casey that this will help to draw more attention to the problem.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Re: Harry Potter actress 'almost killed' by dad, bro for dating Hindu - July 6th 2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:

That's very high handed of you, not what you said but the paragraph structure. The first one forbids us members from talking about it, but the second one gives your opinion which, from the first paragraph we cannot question (just like religious faith )

I was not actually debating. I was making a point, that we should look past our personal beliefs of a religion, and not make judges based on our limited knowledge of the world. You can debate here, but let's not fight over which religion is right, or call another culture wrong. It maybe different than our lives, but it is not our place to judge.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Closed Thread